Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pull that lever? What Color?

Just curious. Do you vote straight party?

I do not. I vote people. I don't care what party the candidate is from ultimately.  I am registered as a republican, and I would say that I do lean that direction (70/30 ish), but I have on multiple occasions throughout my life voted a little more on the democrat majority side.

I always thought the the right people will work together, but the voters that vote one party makes it harder for those more worthy politicians to win in the partisan fight it has turned into ... It was never supposed to be this way.  We (voters) are the problem. If you vote a single party every time, you will often times vote in less qualified people to lead our country.  I hate the us versus them hate we have become ... I hate people that hate people.

If you were a GM building a football team, wouldn't you always draft the best player?

/soapbox

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

With partisanship at its greatest divide in recent history, I'm a straight party line guy. Can't trust the opposition to do what they say no matter how they campaign these days.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM by B2hibry.)

I am a registered Republican but tend to be a “people” and “issue” voter. I tend to lean towards those I believe will be for the greater good of the United States.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I can't stand party line voters. That's what's wrong with America. I am a registered Independent and I always vote a mixed ticket, based on each candidate. I hate hardliners in both parties and tend to vote for more moderates.

(01-14-2019, 06:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: With partisanship at its greatest divide in recent history, I'm a straight party line guy. Can't trust the opposition to do what they say no matter how they campaign these days.

I am shocked by this statement.

I've voted straight party-line once in my life. It made me sick to my stomach and I won't do it again. I vote for people, not parties.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM by 13Coronas.)

Straight party line I also believe that this dem thing is going to blow up in their face dropping every thing to go against trump and mess after mess the dems have to unpack and get new pampers
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

I don't vote for either major party at this point, they aren't that different and both ultimately suck.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM by Sammy.)

(01-14-2019, 06:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: With partisanship at its greatest divide in recent history, I'm a straight party line guy. Can't trust the opposition to do what they say no matter how they campaign these days.

So you were okay with the Jags drafting DL instead of OL in the 2018 1st round. I must say, I didn't expect that admission.

(01-14-2019, 07:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I am a registered Republican but tend to be a “people” and “issue” voter. I tend to lean towards those I believe will be for the greater good of the United States.

I have read a little of your post, I believe you. 

Well, except that time you used except when you meant accept on the division posting board ... But, that is what the classroom was for. Tongue

(01-14-2019, 09:07 PM)Sammy Wrote:

So you were okay with the Jags drafting DL instead of OL in the 2018 1st round. I must say, I didn't expect that admission.

(01-14-2019, 07:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I am a registered Republican but tend to be a “people” and “issue” voter. I tend to lean towards those I believe will be for the greater good of the United States.

I have read a little of your post, I believe you. 

Well, except that time you used except when you meant accept on the division posting board ... But, that is what the classroom was for. Tongue
Haha, well that class room was quite influential!

Policy or people or party no difference there hasn't been a democrat I could vote for in my life time. Plenty of republicans I could not vote for, plenty of libertarians I did vote for.

Call it what you want but until a democrat runs on limited government I won't vote for one.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-14-2019, 06:50 PM)Sammy Wrote: Just curious. Do you vote straight party?

I do not. I vote people. I don't care what party the candidate is from ultimately.  I am registered as a republican, and I would say that I do lean that direction (70/30 ish), but I have on multiple occasions throughout my life voted a little more on the democrat majority side.

I always thought the the right people will work together, but the voters that vote one party makes it harder for those more worthy politicians to win in the partisan fight it has turned into ... It was never supposed to be this way.  We (voters) are the problem. If you vote a single party every time, you will often times vote in less qualified people to lead our country.  I hate the us versus them hate we have become ... I hate people that hate people.

If you were a GM building a football team, wouldn't you always draft the best player?

/soapbox

I agree with that.  I think too many people "join a team" and willingly allow themselves to be indoctrinated so they can support their team.  

I think both parties have their good and bad points.  If I laid out all my personal political positions, I'd be flip-flopping between the two parties.  I'm strongly for capitalism and free markets (Republican).  I'm strongly for protecting the environment (Democrat).   I favor a color-blind society and I am opposed to affirmative action or "reverse" discrimination (Republican).  I am a social liberal (Democrat).   

My party registration has changed a couple of times, just because sometimes one party's presidential primary is all locked up, no point in voting in the primary, but the other's may be more interesting.

(01-15-2019, 06:12 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Policy or people or party no difference there hasn't been a democrat I could vote for in my life time. Plenty of republicans I could not vote for, plenty of libertarians I did vote for.

Call it what you want but until a democrat runs on limited government I won't vote for one.

^This.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM by mikesez.)

So many libertarians on message boards... so few at ballot boxes...

(01-15-2019, 07:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 06:50 PM)Sammy Wrote: Just curious. Do you vote straight party?

/soapbox

I agree with that.  I think too many people "join a team" and willingly allow themselves to be indoctrinated so they can support their team.  

I think both parties have their good and bad points.  If I laid out all my personal political positions, I'd be flip-flopping between the two parties.  I'm strongly for capitalism and free markets (Republican).  I'm strongly for protecting the environment (Democrat).   I favor a color-blind society and I am opposed to affirmative action or "reverse" discrimination (Republican).  I am a social liberal (Democrat).   

My party registration has changed a couple of times, just because sometimes one party's presidential primary is all locked up, no point in voting in the primary, but the other's may be more interesting.

Yup.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Over the years, I've voted Republican, I've voted Democrat and I've voted Libertarian (in the last Presidential election.) In each voting cycle, I look at the issues that most line up to my own beliefs and decide which candidate most represents those values without being a total sleazebag. That's why I voted 3rd party in the last Presidential election. It wasn't necessarily because that candidate aligned with my beliefs, but the two major candidates (Trump and Hillary) were such unlikable, untrustworthy, dishonest people, that I couldn't in good conscience vote for either one. That was the first time I've ever had to do this and hopefully, it never happens again.

(01-15-2019, 12:39 PM)mikesez Wrote: So many libertarians on message boards... so few at ballot boxes...

(01-15-2019, 07:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree with that.  I think too many people "join a team" and willingly allow themselves to be indoctrinated so they can support their team.  

Yup.

It's been the largest third party by far the last few elections. The media doesn't report it but the libertarians polled almost 3% in the Romney and Obama election. They went from being on 2 state ballots in 1972 to all 50 ballots in 2018. It's a broad party from Gary Johnson a very liberal leaning libertarian to Ron Paul the most extreme conservative libertarian. 

Problem is while many people agree with lots of their positions the national elections it's still viewed as a wasted vote or protest vote at best. 

It's growing but painfully slow and still pretty underound and without strong organization at the top. The convention in Orlando is a joke .
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(01-15-2019, 01:50 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 12:39 PM)mikesez Wrote: So many libertarians on message boards... so few at ballot boxes...

Yup.

It's been the largest third party by far the last few elections. The media doesn't report it but the libertarians polled almost 3% in the Romney and Obama election. They went from being on 2 state ballots in 1972 to all 50 ballots in 2018. It's a broad party from Gary Johnson a very liberal leaning libertarian to Ron Paul the most extreme conservative libertarian. 

Problem is while many people agree with lots of their positions the national elections it's still viewed as a wasted vote or protest vote at best. 

It's growing but painfully slow and still pretty underound and without strong organization at the top. The convention in Orlando is a joke .

^^ This, I believe is the largest issue. There is just not a large or strong organization to push it to equal footing as the Dems and Rep. Most Americans are just unaware that a third party vote is an option. Sadly, votes go where they money goes.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM by mikesez.)

(01-15-2019, 01:50 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

Yup.

Until the Constitution is amended, your path to the white house starts by winning a plurality of the votes in one state.
Each of the two big parties unveils their candidates slowly in a way that gets all 50 states to see their candidates as legitimate, not a wasted vote.  
until the Constitution is amended, your only chance at success is to replicate that process. Try to get at least two candidates to compete in a New Hampshire primary and have a plan in place for going on state-by-state from there.
you would need reliable people on the ground in every state that doesn't do a caucus. You would have to hope and pray for decent turnout.
The good news is you don't have to follow that recipe.  
You can blow up that system!
Simply get the members of your party to pledge to support, not a libertarian candidate necessarily, but the Rep or Dem candidate that Libertarian party leadership tells them to support.
Then make it known that the libertarian party will support whoever is going to help blow up the electoral college system sufficiently to allow a third party to enter. Watch major party candidates in close races line up to take that pledge.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-15-2019, 12:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Over the years, I've voted Republican, I've voted Democrat and I've voted Libertarian (in the last Presidential election.) In each voting cycle, I look at the issues that most line up to my own beliefs and decide which candidate most represents those values without being a total sleazebag. That's why I voted 3rd party in the last Presidential election. It wasn't necessarily because that candidate aligned with my beliefs, but the two major candidates (Trump and Hillary) were such unlikable, untrustworthy, dishonest people, that I couldn't in good conscience vote for either one. That was the first time I've ever had to do this and hopefully, it never happens again.
It most certainly will happen again. Have you seen the candidates declaring so far for 2020? Have you seen some of the newly elected Congressmen and women? 2020 will put 2016 to shame.

(01-15-2019, 02:07 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 01:50 PM)EricC85 Wrote: It's been the largest third party by far the last few elections. The media doesn't report it but the libertarians polled almost 3% in the Romney and Obama election. They went from being on 2 state ballots in 1972 to all 50 ballots in 2018. It's a broad party from Gary Johnson a very liberal leaning libertarian to Ron Paul the most extreme conservative libertarian. 

Until the Constitution is amended, your path to the white house starts by winning a plurality of the votes in one state.
Each of the two big parties unveils their candidates slowly in a way that gets all 50 states to see their candidates as legitimate, not a wasted vote.  
The good news is you don't have to follow that recipe.  
You can blow up that system!
Simply get the members of your party to pledge to support, not a libertarian candidate necessarily, but the Rep or Dem candidate that Libertarian party leadership tells them to support.
Then make it known that the libertarian party will support whoever is going to help blow up the electoral college system sufficiently to allow a third party to enter.  Watch major party candidates in close races line up to take that pledge.

Funny how other 3rd parties were able to come to power without promising the destruction of our federal election system...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato