Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Maurice Jones Drew article about Fournette....

I agree with the assessment that he Fournette is at the crossroads right now.  Will he shine or  fail?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...er-in-2019
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I dunno where Fournette goes from here, but I hope that this is just rock bottom and he elevates himself from here on out

Damage is already done, especially to his list of injuries. But that's just how life is at the RB position. Hopefullyif Fournette can't get the job done, they'll find somebody who will

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM by SeldomRite.)

I think I've seen two top five pick level runs from Fournette in his time here. Needs to be more than that per game going forward. Needs to learn the playbook and run with vision.

(01-16-2019, 07:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I think I've seen two top five pick level runs from Fournette in his time here. Needs to be more than that per game going forward. Needs to learn the playbook and run with vision.

Yep.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Hopefully MJD and Fred reach out or the Jags connect them if they already aren't talking.

He is looking at not getting another large contract in the NFL if he doesn't turn it around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even if he gets his head screwed on I find it hard to see him doing much. Needs to find a way to stay on the field first of all.

After that he still has a ton of work on the field.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-16-2019, 07:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: Even if he gets his head screwed on I find it hard to see him doing much. Needs to find a way to stay on the field first of all.

After that he still has a ton of work on the field.

That's the main thing right there. He's missed at least 10 or more games now since his rookie year due to injuries alone. He can't get better at his position if he's on the sideline trying to fix or address an injury every other week or month. I hope we can get him going though man. This team really does need him to shine and step up. 

He should be looking at guys like Elliot and Barkley and wanting to be on that level. That should be pushing him and motivating him. Those guys are essentially a year behind him and a year in front of him but they're both excellent players. Fournette was touted up to be this next great back. The next Adrian Peterson. So far, nothing on that front.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Good to know 2019 is shaping up.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-16-2019, 07:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I think I've seen two top five pick level runs from Fournette in his time here. Needs to be more than that per game going forward. Needs to learn the playbook and run with vision.

Only problem with that is you can't learn vision. But I still think he could be a good back with a solid OL and if he can stay healthy.

(01-17-2019, 02:27 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:

Only problem with that is you can't learn vision. But I still think he could be a good back with a solid OL and if he can stay healthy.

I don't know what can be learned, but I have seen him do it, just it's so rare I can count the number of times I've seen it on one hand. The great backs find creases that aren't supposed to be there and make what should be normal short runs into long ones. If Fournette is going to ever be worth a top five pick he has to start making that kind of play on a regular basis. Guys that are big and can pound it into the back of the offensive line don't have any particularly high worth. Right now that's what he is, just a guy pounding it into the back of his offensive line.

As Mojo stated, Fournette isn’t a “creator”. Put a supporting cast around him this coming season and then run him ragged until he drops from exhaustion or injury, because I get a definite vibe from Fournette that he will mail it in after a second contract.

Pretty much what I said, the difference between a good rb and great or elite one is not the stats but the ability to make their own holes even when the offensive line sucks. You don't take a good rb in the top 5 of the draft, you take a great or elite th who can make their own holes aka Elliott, Gurley, Barkley, and McCoy in his prime.

(01-17-2019, 07:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: As Mojo stated, Fournette isn’t a “creator”. Put a supporting cast around him this coming season and then run him ragged until he drops from exhaustion or injury, because I get a definite vibe from Fournette that he will mail it in after a second contract.

That is our whole offense and game plan.  When was the last time we created anything?  Patriots game and that was it for 2018.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-17-2019, 07:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: As Mojo stated, Fournette isn’t a “creator”. Put a supporting cast around him this coming season and then run him ragged until he drops from exhaustion or injury, because I get a definite vibe from Fournette that he will mail it in after a second contract.

From the little football knowledge i've accumulated over the years,  the QB needs a decent TE, a WR who can get separation, and a decent oline.  Knowing we had a struggling QB, make shift Oline, and no receiving TE, what made anyone think Fournette was going to change things.  The sole reason i wanted to draft Mixon is because of his vision and creating holes.  We pick full steam ahead Fournette and think running every play will revitalize the offense.  

We still need to fill the same holes 2 years in and whether everyone blames Blake, The OC, Tom, or whomever, expecting this team to roll two years straight on an empty tank of gas is just mindboggling.  I hear MJD, but i knew this when he was in college and why as a UF fan i never feared LSU.  Average at best QB, no TE threat, mediocre WRs just meant W unless he went off for like 200 with multiple TDs with bad tackling and playcalling.  This isnt directed at you homebiscuit but moreso at anyone acting like this is new information.

I'm done being mad at Hackett and yelling at Blake.  I complained BB5 had no go get it receivers or ones with semi-consistent separation, no rec. TE, no creative playcalling and then we got a running game despite all of that.  Now we're excusing the RB for not having what we already knew we didnt and saying again....once we get it, we'll be on track.  I'll drink to insanity but at least let's all admit this is getting stupid.  

Hopefully that new QB we get, will not have to live with these same excuses for years until someone gets common sense.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

This is a very similar situation as gurley. He was really good his first handful of games until teams just sold out to stop him on there terrible offense. His second season was bad once again as nobody respected their terrible bland predictable offense. Then they bring in mcvay and some weapons and Goff develops then he’s a top rb in the league. Very simalar in that’s neither is really a creator.

(01-20-2019, 05:11 PM)PAJag Wrote: This is a very similar situation as gurley. He was really good his first handful of games until teams just sold out to stop him on there terrible offense. His second season was bad once again as nobody respected their terrible bland predictable offense. Then they bring in mcvay and some weapons and Goff develops then he’s a top rb in the league. Very simalar in that’s neither is really a creator.

I agree with this but I think the big difference is some of the attitude things that leonard dealt with this year on top of injuries. If it was just a sophomore slump that would be one thing, but I think some of the off the field and after the play stuff ruffled some people on this boards feathers.