Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

(01-18-2019, 12:54 PM)Jags Wrote: A question for everyone..If you were TC/DC, would you still choose the option you picked?  I see a lot of posts backing their stance with reasons that can be attributed to ‘what’s best for the team” whether long or short term.  With Shad Khan’s statement following the Houston game..

‘’I have the same trust in Tom, Dave and Doug as I did upon their introduction two years ago, and I do believe our best path forward for the moment is the one less disruptive and dramatic.  Stability should not be confused with satisfaction, however.  I am far from content with the status quo and while it’s best to put 2018 behind us, I will not overlook how poorly we accounted for ourselves following a 3-1 start.  There were far too many long Sundays over the last three quarters of the season, with today’s loss in Houston being the final example, and that cannot repeat itself in 2019.  That’s my message to our football people and players, but also our sponsors and fans, both of whom were remarkable."

Does, that have any bearing on what you would do to achieve quicker results?  Would a rookie starting and going 7-9 be good enough to retain your job? Do you have multiple years to develop someone and get it right?  Maybe I’m reading into that bolded part too much.  Was just wondering if your jobs were on the line if the same answers would be given.  I know I’ve been pro Foles since the end of the season, but I’ve had that statement in the back of my mind as well.  I’m not trying to sway anyone by any means.  Ive enjoyed reading the discussion on this topic.  And curious how Shads patience could influence the decision, if any.

See, this scares me. I really hope they aren't just fully invested in making the 2019 team as good as possible at the expense of building for our long-term future. If we end up somehow passing on Haskins or Murray simply because we are in win-now mode, and they go on to be studs in this league I don't know if I could take it.

But, honestly, I don't see Khan's words as an ultimatum for 2019 in terms of win-loss. He's talking about how embarassing and pathetic last season became, on and off the field. He's saying he won't stand for that again, and rightly so. I think if they ended up going the rookie route and the team finished the season competitive and improving but not in the playoffs he wouldn't necessarilly see that as a failure. He's a pragmatic and patient man and should look at the bigger picture. I know a few on here would hate that.

Again though, the worst thing we could do is throw all of our chips into 2019 because the coaching staff feel it is win-or-bust. There always needs to be a long-term sustainable plan and way of running a franchise.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2019, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I most likely wouldn't be in this mess if I was TC/DC because I would have passed on Fournette and picked Mahomes or Watson.

Nah, you wanted Solomon Thomas.

Ugh... you just might have to get the first pick for Haskins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHUD8DqIwY

That said, I still hesitate because I'm not overly enamored with Haskins' deep ball.

Regarding his deeper passes, he does throw a very nice arc on 40-yard passes that just drop in there. They're just not exceptionally accurate like Drew Lock so he's only attempting these throws when his guy clearly beat his coverage. It looks like his hail mary can reach 60 yards, but typically his deepest passes fall shy of 50 yards. 
'02

I am not super excited about either Foles or Haskins at this point, but I think that Foles would have a much greater impact immediately and allow the Jags to draft another starter with the 7th pick. I'd even be okay with them trading down to acquire more talent if Foles turns out to be the guy. I just have concerns that he would be coming to a team with significantly inferior talent on offense and don't know that he could take this team to the next level.

Haskins clearly has tremendous upside, but the sample size is very small compared to some of other QBs mentioned in this thread such as Mahomes or Watson. I'd be okay with the Jags taking him with the 7th pick, but would not like to see them have to give up additional picks to trade up to get him. This team just has too many holes on offense at this time and building through the draft still needs to be a focal point in my opinion.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(01-18-2019, 01:06 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 12:54 PM)Jags Wrote: A question for everyone..If you were TC/DC, would you still choose the option you picked?  I see a lot of posts backing their stance with reasons that can be attributed to ‘what’s best for the team” whether long or short term.  With Shad Khan’s statement following the Houston game..

‘’I have the same trust in Tom, Dave and Doug as I did upon their introduction two years ago, and I do believe our best path forward for the moment is the one less disruptive and dramatic.  Stability should not be confused with satisfaction, however.  I am far from content with the status quo and while it’s best to put 2018 behind us, I will not overlook how poorly we accounted for ourselves following a 3-1 start.  There were far too many long Sundays over the last three quarters of the season, with today’s loss in Houston being the final example, and that cannot repeat itself in 2019.  That’s my message to our football people and players, but also our sponsors and fans, both of whom were remarkable."

Does, that have any bearing on what you would do to achieve quicker results?  Would a rookie starting and going 7-9 be good enough to retain your job? Do you have multiple years to develop someone and get it right?  Maybe I’m reading into that bolded part too much.  Was just wondering if your jobs were on the line if the same answers would be given.  I know I’ve been pro Foles since the end of the season, but I’ve had that statement in the back of my mind as well.  I’m not trying to sway anyone by any means.  Ive enjoyed reading the discussion on this topic.  And curious how Shads patience could influence the decision, if any.

See, this scares me. I really hope they aren't just fully invested in making the 2019 team as good as possible at the expense of building for our long-term future. If we end up somehow passing on Haskins or Murray simply because we are in win-now mode, and they go on to be studs in this league I don't know if I could take it.

But, honestly, I don't see Khan's words as an ultimatum for 2019 in terms of win-loss. He's talking about how embarassing and pathetic last season became, on and off the field. He's saying he won't stand for that again, and rightly so. I think if they ended up going the rookie route and the team finished the season competitive and improving but not in the playoffs he wouldn't necessarilly see that as a failure. He's a pragmatic and patient man and should look at the bigger picture. I know a few on here would hate that.

Again though, the worst thing we could do is throw all of our chips into 2019 because the coaching staff feel it is win-or-bust. There always needs to be a long-term sustainable plan and way of running a franchise.
I agree with you especially on the second paragraph.  If they get their guy in the draft and improvement is shown, everyone should be safe and us fans should have promise for happier Sundays in the future.  If they do get the next franchise QB in the draft, I really wouldn’t care if they give up a lot if they need to move up.  It’s just did they pick the next Andrew Luck or RGIII.  I use RGIII as an example since the redskins gave up a lot of I recall correctly.

I remember Solomon was looking like a beast but he had a shoulder issue I believe and I didn't know anything of Mahomes back then makes me sick the Jags could of had him though man...
No Fun

(01-18-2019, 10:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bad year for UFA QBs.
Bad year for QBs in the Draft.
Bad year for Jags' Salary Cap Issues.

Bortles and move down to collect more draft picks. Take the best QB who fits wherever they pick in Rd 2 or 3.

Hate to say it but I agree with this, pretty much.

Hopefully 2020 draft will be better for QBs thqn 2019. I just don't have the confidence in Haskins and Murray is too small. I like Foles but at his age he's not the QB of the future and I'd hate to mortgage the future to get him for a couple years. And we're committed to paying BB so much anyway.

For next year we should fill other needs that might make BB look a little better in 2019 and help the new QB we draft in 2020.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-18-2019, 12:56 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: It won't be hard to be better on offense than the Jags were last season. I don't think anyone is denying that the offense will be better with Foles next season. However, if the price tag is 20+ million, I'm passing on him. I think Haskins gives the Jags the best chance at consistently winning games. I think he can play right away and I think he will continue to get better.

It'll be fascinating to see what kind of contracts the QBs get in free agency this year. Relatively speaking there are only a few teams really in need of a QB so it could be that less demand actually keeps the contracts very affordable. This could also be affected by the fact that next year has a bumper crop of rookie QBs, so teams on the fence about replacing their current starter may decide to stay put for another year.

Alternatively, you could argue that the lack of elite options in this years rookie group (Haskins is the only one close to a consensus blue-chip prospect) will actually drive up the price for FA QBs.

I don't know, I didn't study economics.
IDK about teams that absolutely need one the way we do but there are quite a few out there who are going to be looking at the market. Oakland, Miami, and NYG are the names that leap off the board but teams like the tacks and Denver may be in market as well. I don't think it is like last season but I also don't think the talent pool is as strong as last season either. We just have to see what teams start to do as we approach FA.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM by rfc17.)

Doesnt this depend on what you consider going broke? I dont think you should go broke for either of them. But if the options were to spend a bunch of money on Foles or trade up to grab Haskins, then I'm going with Foles. Foles is a super bowl mvp and a bad contract hurts you for a year. Haskins has played one year of college and giving up multiple first round picks sets you back many years. Could argue the ceiling is higher with Haskins but I think the risk is more.

(01-18-2019, 01:22 PM)Sibelius Wrote:

Bortles and move down to collect more draft picks. Take the best QB who fits wherever they pick in Rd 2 or 3.

Hate to say it but I agree with this, pretty much.

Hopefully 2020 draft will be better for QBs thqn 2019. I just don't have the confidence in Haskins and Murray is too small. I like Foles but at his age he's not the QB of the future and I'd hate to mortgage the future to get him for a couple years. And we're committed to paying BB so much anyway.

For next year we should fill other needs that might make BB look a little better in 2019 and help the new QB we draft in 2020.

If you go the Blake route even with weapons,  can he beat teams with his arm if defenses are stacking the box all game?

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 01:34 PM by JagsorDie.)

Every time I look at the way we structured bortles' contract it hurts me. We absolutely killed ourselves. There is no way around it and the ripple is going to be felt throughout the team as far as cap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we will be paying franchise money at the QB position whether we take a fa or draft unless we stick with bortles(16mil dead cap from him plus whatever we pay the next guy which is basically on par with the tag on QB).

Mr. Khan's statement does not alter my stance. Maintaining status quo would be keeping Blake for the duration of his contract, and not bring in a challenger to his role as starting QB. If there is a QB that fits where we are in the draft, or one that can be obtained affordably by moving up, I pick them. I am not falling in love with one player, and wiping out this or future drafts to get them. That's how you end up repeating the mistakes of the prior regime.

Remember Alualu at 10? Trading up to pick Derek Cox IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU WERE ALREADY ON THE CLOCK? Taking a punter in the 3rd round?

Any owner who looks at one year's performance to determine whether you stay or go is likely never going to get out of the cycle of rebuilding.

(01-18-2019, 01:21 PM)nhiverson Wrote: I remember Solomon was looking like a beast but he had a shoulder issue I believe and I didn't know anything of Mahomes back then makes me sick the Jags could of had him though man...

My only recollection was writing him off as an air raid guy. D'oh.

(01-18-2019, 01:33 PM)Mikey Wrote: Mr. Khan's statement does not alter my stance. Maintaining status quo would be keeping Blake for the duration of his contract, and not bring in a challenger to his role as starting QB. If there is a QB that fits where we are in the draft, or one that can be obtained affordably by moving up, I pick them. I am not falling in love with one player, and wiping out this or future drafts to get them. That's how you end up repeating the mistakes of the prior regime.

Remember Alualu at 10? Trading up to pick Derek Cox IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU WERE ALREADY ON THE CLOCK? Taking a punter in the 3rd round?

Any owner who looks at one year's performance to determine whether you stay or go is likely never going to get out of the cycle of rebuilding.

The biggest difference being the fact that we actually have some pieces to build around or trade if we go nuclear and blow everything up. The rebuild after the last regime was literally wiping the whole team out and getting next to nothing from what was here originally. we may as well been an expansion team in 2012... so there is that lol.

But im trying not to even consider that route because I know how long it will take and I honestly don't know if this franchise or fanbase will withstand another one of those.

(01-18-2019, 01:24 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 12:56 PM)JagJohn Wrote: It'll be fascinating to see what kind of contracts the QBs get in free agency this year. Relatively speaking there are only a few teams really in need of a QB so it could be that less demand actually keeps the contracts very affordable. This could also be affected by the fact that next year has a bumper crop of rookie QBs, so teams on the fence about replacing their current starter may decide to stay put for another year.

Alternatively, you could argue that the lack of elite options in this years rookie group (Haskins is the only one close to a consensus blue-chip prospect) will actually drive up the price for FA QBs.

I don't know, I didn't study economics.
IDK about teams that absolutely need one the way we do but there are quite a few out there who are going to be looking at the market. Oakland, Miami, and NYG are the names that leap off the board but teams like the tacks and Denver may be in market as well. I don't think it is like last season but I also don't think the talent pool is as strong as last season either. We just have to see what teams start to do as we approach FA.

Don't forget about the Redskins, and possibly even the Cards or Bucs as well.  Now I don't think the Bills or Ravens are in the market, but I would be if I were them. Also, I wonder about the Chargers and Bengals who don't need a FA but might be looking to draft their future at the position. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM by JagsorDie.)

(01-18-2019, 01:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 01:24 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: IDK about teams that absolutely need one the way we do but there are quite a few out there who are going to be looking at the market. Oakland, Miami, and NYG are the names that leap off the board but teams like the tacks and Denver may be in market as well. I don't think it is like last season but I also don't think the talent pool is as strong as last season either. We just have to see what teams start to do as we approach FA.

Don't forget about the Redskins, and possibly even the Cards or Bucs as well.  Now I don't think the Bills or Ravens are in the market, but I would be if I were them. Also, I wonder about the Chargers and Bengals who don't need a FA but might be looking to draft their future at the position. 

I would have put the skins but I think after getting smith last year, they may not be looking to FA to address that position. The raven are in a weird situation. I'm not a fan of Jackson but they seem to be. Unless that playoff game really shifted something, I think they pretty much hitched their wagon to him.

As far as the cards and bucs. I think hiring new HCs may buy them a year to evaluate what they have in place with the new staff.

side note: wasn't Bruce a fan of bortles?

(01-18-2019, 01:13 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I most likely wouldn't be in this mess if I was TC/DC because I would have passed on Fournette and picked Mahomes or Watson.

Nah, you wanted Solomon Thomas.
True. But he wasn't available when the Jags picked.....

Thomas is still very young and they also refuse to let him play the 3T where I think he would excel.

(01-18-2019, 01:24 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Doesnt this depend on what you consider going broke?  I dont think you should go broke for either of them.  But if the options were to spend a bunch of money on Foles or trade up to grab Haskins, then I'm going with Foles.  Foles is a super bowl mvp and a bad contract hurts you for a year.  Haskins has played one year of college and giving up multiple first round picks sets you back many years.  Could argue the ceiling is higher with Haskins but I think the risk is more.

I agree.

It's looking more and more like a team will have to go broke in terms of picks given away to get Haskins. I do like him, but I don't think he throws the deep ball well enough to warrant the first overall pick. If he drops to #3, I'm making the easy trade up to get him. However, giving up a future 1st round pick in order to get a top-two pick... I just don't know that I can go there. I want my 2020 first round pick. That said, if we could maybe give up just our 2nd, one 3rd, and a couple players... I could see that.

If we can't get Haskins, our options narrow. I then start to like Foles, although he's going to cost at least $20 mil.

If all else fails, there are still a few more QBs in the draft. I could totally see either reaching for a QB at #7 or trading up into the late first to get a guy we like with a 5th-year option. Will Grier, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Ryan Finley, and the oh-so-tiny Kyle Murray are all in consideration here.  If we use the second option, we may want to even spend a 6th or 7th rounder on another QB as insurance. Jarrett Stidham comes to mind.
'02

This is the way i would got to. If we have to add players to Make Foles Good the same can be said for blake. He wont cost as much and with weapons and a good OC we could get Blake vs Pats all season. We need upgrades at oline WR and TE and 4nett to stay healthy and we could be back in the AFCCG this coming year. Then we can look at next year for a franchise QB or even 2021 for Lawrence(is what i really would like)

(01-18-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't even get the attraction to Bridgewater especially at his price. The two top FA QBs are Tyrod Taylor and Teddy. Think about it, and ask yourself if either is really that much better than Blake. If you think either is, you'll have to explain yourself, and even then, you need to ask yourself if the guy is truly worth more than $20 mil per year as I suspect they'll command as the top FAs. That's quite a lot of money to spend on additional garbage especially when we're already spending so much on Blake whether or not we keep him.

As for Foles, I'm leary of what he'll cost as well, but at least I'm confident in saying the guy is flat out better than Blake.

BTW, I wouldn't trade the farm for Haskins either, but in my mind trading the farm means moving up to a top-two pick. What I would do is trade away our 2nd and one of out 3rds in order to move up to #3 should the opportunity to get Haskins there arise. 
I don't think they will need to trade the farm but do you think Houston or KC is regretting tarding a 1st rounder for their QBs? If you believe the QB is a franchise guy, you do what it takes to get them. Some on here and around the league think Haskins is that type of guy. Others don't.

Some people last year thought Mayfield was a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Cleveland didn't and they look poised to take the AFC North by storm in the next couple seasons.

I hear you, but Haskins isn't Mahomes.

Frankly, I don't think he's quite Watson or Mayfield either. I do think he's the best this draft class has to offer where all the QBs are shotgun QBs, but I'm only giving up so much to get him. If he was a more accurate deep passer I'd be all over him, but as a passer, he reminds me more of David Garrard and Chad Henne where they were primarily masters of the short-to-mid passing game.  The perfect QB would be Haskins if he had Lock's ability to pass deep, and part of me wonders if that guy might actually be Grier.
'02