Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Marrone: DeFilippo hire had 'zero' to do with Nick Foles

Marrone: DeFilippo hire had 'zero' to do with Nick Foles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...nick-foles

The Jaguars hired John DeFilippo as their next OC on Wednesday. Despite the obvious links, Jags head coach Doug Marrone said DeFilippo's relationship with Nick Foles had nothing to do with the hire.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 02:23 PM by JagsorDie.)

Boy he knows exactly what to say to piss off some fans lol.

Course he's gonna say that. It's no secret that Jags are gonna make a run at Foles and this is just one peace of puzzle...
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-17-2019, 02:45 PM)KingJones Wrote: Course he's gonna say that.  It's no secret that Jags are gonna make a run at Foles and this is just one peace of puzzle...

[Image: Peace_of_Flowers_Puzzle_300x300.jpg?heig...nce%22:2%7D%5D]

(01-17-2019, 03:00 PM)Brett Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 02:45 PM)KingJones Wrote: Course he's gonna say that.  It's no secret that Jags are gonna make a run at Foles and this is just one peace of puzzle...

[Image: Peace_of_Flowers_Puzzle_300x300.jpg?heig...nce%22:2%7D%5D]

Ha! Nice

Either way it can't hurt.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Foles is under contract. Isn't it collusion or something if we publicly talk about pursuing him?
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(01-17-2019, 07:40 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: Foles is under contract. Isn't it collusion or something if we publicly talk about pursuing him?

Idk if that’s what they call it or not but I don’t think teams can openly speak about other teams players. I remember the answer Caldwell gave when asked about Tebow.  His response was “He’s a Denver Bronco”. Or something along the lines.  Then the ever so popular “even if he’s released”.  So even if they are interested, they wouldn’t be saying it. With the OC hire, we can only speculate if it does or doesn’t have any bearing on their plans.

(01-17-2019, 08:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 07:40 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: Foles is under contract. Isn't it collusion or something if we publicly talk about pursuing him?

Idk if that’s what they call it or not but I don’t think teams can openly speak about other teams players. I remember the answer Caldwell gave when asked about Tebow.  His response was “He’s a Denver Bronco”. Or something along the lines.  Then the ever so popular “even if he’s released”.  So even if they are interested, they wouldn’t be saying it. With the OC hire, we can only speculate if it does or doesn’t have any bearing on their plans.

Yeah, collision doesn't sound right but I can't think of the word I'm thinking of. Tebow example a good one. I was thinking of a team, I can't remember which one, that was commenting on Darrel Revis and got in trouble.
― Albert Camus

I believe the term is ‘player tampering’.

(01-17-2019, 08:37 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: I believe the term is ‘player tampering’.

This is correct and any mention of Foles by Maronne would be considered exactly that resulting in possible fines and loss of draft picks.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-17-2019, 08:37 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: I believe the term is ‘player tampering’.

YES! Tampering. Thank you!
― Albert Camus

(01-17-2019, 08:24 PM)Jags Wrote:

I think collusion would be more negotiating a deal in advance of his trade/release outside of Eagles' knowledge.  I fully expect the FO to be in contact with Eagles FO if we are interested, to see if a trade/sign deal could be worked out. Of course, Foles would have to be wise to the details at that point, and if he would agree to the trade and renegotiation, we would likely have permission to negotiate numbers before a trade is final.

EVERYONE can say they're interested in a player.

idk why the fans would be pissed not to get Foles. He said it himself that he needs pieces around him to succeed. If we don't get some OL depth, some real receivers, and a real TE. he himself will not want to come here.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(01-18-2019, 11:01 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: idk why the fans would be pissed not to get Foles. He said it himself that he needs pieces around him to succeed. If we don't get some OL depth, some real receivers, and a real TE. he himself will not want to come here.

Good point,  but I’d rather have a QB that says he needs pieces around him than one that says he’s not a natural thrower of the football.

Foles would be a mistake IMO. He has 5 good games in the last 2 years. He was TERRIBLE in the rest of the games he’s played. That’s in a Andy Reid style offense that makes every QB look good (I.E Vick,Alex Smith,feeley, detmer, Kolb) with ertz, Jeffrey, agholer and other weapons and good o line. The only way to keep this defense together is with a qb on a rookie contract. Foles is not the answer.

As much as people will hate to hear it because we’re ready to move on from Blake. Although he cannot elevate players around him like a true franchise qb or make a big comeback, if he has a good oline and a lead or close game to work with running game and PA he’s a pretty competent qb that doesn’t really need elite recieving threats and has had some elite games with said scenario. But when it’s all on him playing from behind it’s game over

(01-20-2019, 03:02 PM)PAJag Wrote: As much as people will hate to hear it because we’re ready to move on from Blake. Although he cannot elevate players around him like a true franchise qb or make a big comeback, if he has a good oline and a lead or close game to work with running game and PA he’s a pretty competent qb that doesn’t really need elite recieving threats and has had some elite games with said scenario. But when it’s all on him playing from behind it’s game over

What you say is true and that's mostly why it's time to move on. The Jags deserve a true franchise player, not a guy who needs the rest of the team to perform well just to be ok.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 03:28 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-20-2019, 02:54 PM)PAJag Wrote: Foles would be a mistake IMO. He has 5 good games in the last 2 years. He was TERRIBLE in the rest of the games he’s played. That’s in a Andy Reid style offense that makes every QB look good (I.E Vick,Alex Smith,feeley, detmer, Kolb) with ertz, Jeffrey, agholer and other weapons and good o line. The only way to keep this defense together is with a qb on a rookie contract. Foles is not the answer.

He has started eight games in the past two years. Having 5 good games out of 8 isn't bad.  Extrapolating that over 16 games, that's ten good games a year at QB.  What Jaguars fan wouldn't take that?  Besides he has playoff and Super Bowl experience.  If our defense is anything like it's been the past two seasons, I would like our chances in most games.

Secondly, I am unsure if the Peterson and Reich offense was an Andy Reid WCO.

But even assuming it is, Foles' best statistical season was in Chip Kelly's offense, not a Reid WCO derivative scheme.

But even ignoring that, Defilippo coached Foles' in that scheme.  He will know what Foles' strengths and weaknesses are, what types of things Foles' likes to do, etc.  Besides ifi his collective experiences with Reid and elsewhere helped him be a better QB, I don't see the harm.  To me those are not deterrents to a Foles' acquisition.

That said, I might think him to be leery of going somewhere he doesn't think he could succeed.  If he sees a healthy Jaguars offense as too deficient, he may not be willing to sign here.

(01-20-2019, 03:07 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 03:02 PM)PAJag Wrote: As much as people will hate to hear it because we’re ready to move on from Blake. Although he cannot elevate players around him like a true franchise qb or make a big comeback, if he has a good oline and a lead or close game to work with running game and PA he’s a pretty competent qb that doesn’t really need elite recieving threats and has had some elite games with said scenario. But when it’s all on him playing from behind it’s game over

What you say is true and that's mostly why it's time to move on. The Jags deserve a true franchise player, not a guy who needs the rest of the team to perform well just to be ok.
I agree as well it’s to hard to win consistently with that formula and hope injuries to oline don’t happen like this year. But to think foles or Flacco are going to come here and make us contenders is delusional. Best scenario going forward would be draft haskins keep Blake as bridge and release him next year and use that money to extend ngakou and jack... if we can play that Blake formula we can be successful next year and interested to see what defelippo will put into the offense.