Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags should hire Tony Romo

I have watched the NFL (and AFL) since 1967, and other than possibly Madden in his CBS heyday, I can't recall a better pre-snap analyst than Tony Romo. He was right on the money with pretty much every play call of the Patriots last two drives, including the two crucial ones to Gronk. If he's this good from the booth, how much better might he be from the DC chair? Or at least as a defensive consultant. Roll the dice Jags.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2019, 02:02 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I have watched the NFL (and AFL) since 1967, and other than possibly Madden in his CBS heyday, I can't recall a better pre-snap analyst than Tony Romo. He was right on the money with pretty much every play call of the Patriots last two drives, including the two crucial ones to Gronk. If he's this good from the booth, how much better might he be from the DC chair? Or at least as a defensive consultant. Roll the dice Jags.

Is this a real thread?

I think that most ex NFL players/coaches(qbs in particular) can and probably give the same input that he does. But most live air play by play commentary is made up a people who have been in media only for most for their career.

Romo is a great commentator because of his ability to vocalize what he is thinking quickly so he seems smarter than other guys in the booth who have never played a down in the NFL let alone be a very successful quarterback. It is hard to find personalities who have learned what he has playing football and have the charismatic personality to talk live uncut about what they are seeing.

He is right where he needs to be.

(01-21-2019, 02:12 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I think that most ex NFL players/coaches(qbs in particular) can and probably give the same input that he does. But most live air play by play commentary is made up a people who have been in media only for most for their career.

Romo is a great commentator because of his ability to vocalize what he is thinking quickly so he seems smarter than other guys in the booth who have never played a down in the NFL let alone be a very successful quarterback. It is hard to find personalities who have learned what he has playing football and have the charismatic personality to talk live uncut about what they are seeing.

Strong agree. His raw enthusiasm is what makes him great, the fact that he actually knows what he's talking about and can go into detail when necessary is just a bonus , but the combination of both makes him pretty unmatched.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM by maheo30.)

Haha!!! We disagree. I think he is so bad I put him on mute. There is only one other person I do that for, Beth Mowins. This is the first time I've seen people who like his commentating. To each his own.

Yeah Tony Romo is the best in the business.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 08:07 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Romo became my favorite commentator, the first game i watched him in the booth. He's so enthusiastic, no matter who is playing and he gives great information. He just seems like a very down to earth dude, who loves the game.

(01-21-2019, 07:57 AM)maheo30 Wrote: Haha!!! We disagree. I think he is so bad I put him on mute. There is only one other person I do that for, Beth Mowins. This is the first time I've seen people who like his  commentating.  To each his own.

You're the only person I've heard from that doesn't like him.

(01-21-2019, 02:02 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I have watched the NFL (and AFL) since 1967, and other than possibly Madden in his CBS heyday, I can't recall a better pre-snap analyst than Tony Romo. He was right on the money with pretty much every play call of the Patriots last two drives, including the two crucial ones to Gronk. If he's this good from the booth, how much better might he be from the DC chair? Or at least as a defensive consultant. Roll the dice Jags.

He's getting paid so much to talk right now, we'd have to break the bank to lure him away.  I don't think it's possible.

(01-21-2019, 07:57 AM)maheo30 Wrote: Haha!!! We disagree. I think he is so bad I put him on mute. There is only one other person I do that for, Beth Mowins. This is the first time I've seen people who like his  commentating.  To each his own.

Wow, I've never heard anyone feel that way. How can yo... never mind. Agree to disagree on this one.

I think Romo will get his shot to be a HC. I predict he takes over the KC gig in 2021 when they come to their senses and fire Andy Reid.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM by NewJagsCity.)

(01-21-2019, 09:21 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I think Romo will get his shot to be a HC. I predict he takes over the KC gig in 2021 when they come to their senses and fire Andy Reid.

I tend to agree. And there's precedent here; Dick Vermeil in St Louis, and the 100 million dollar man currently in Oakland. And yes, they were both head coaches before, but they did come out of the commentators booth to return to coaching
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-21-2019, 02:12 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I think that most ex NFL players/coaches(qbs in particular) can and probably give the same input that he does. But most live air play by play commentary is made up a people who have been in media only for most for their career.

Regarding that first sentence, I’ve seen nearly 20 former or current players on twitter saying he needs to be coaching or coordinating. So I’m thinking his predictive abilities are a notch above that of many other players.

(01-21-2019, 08:07 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Romo became my favorite commentator, the first game i watched him in the booth. He's so enthusiastic, no matter who is playing and he gives great information. He just seems like a very down to earth dude, who loves the game.

Ketchman calls him Chatty Cathy and pretty much hates his commentary.
I've never heard pre-snap commentary like Romo's and I think he is great at it.

This is the complete opposite of what the nfl world thinks.

What is Manning up to these days? His ability to read a D was ridiculous and i thought he'd be coaching or in a booth by now. Got to love Romo, hated him as a Cowboy, just awesome in the booth.

Romo is intelligent and shows a lot of enthusiasm for his job. That puts him a step ahead of the other commentators.

(01-21-2019, 01:16 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:07 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Romo became my favorite commentator, the first game i watched him in the booth. He's so enthusiastic, no matter who is playing and he gives great information. He just seems like a very down to earth dude, who loves the game.

Ketchman is classic old school though. He's kind of guy to turn on the game, watch it, and not say a word the entire time. I can see why he doesn't like Romo's commentary. Personally, I mostly like it but he starts to grate as the game goes on, he's constantly talking, even when he doesn't have to. Some more quiet would help bring out the good points from all the noise.

Romo is by far the best in the business.

Vic grew up during the silent film era so he doesn't like a lot of talking.

[Image: 200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c4615006978774f598ed910]

Ketchman has become a bitter old man who hates commentary in general. He probably thinks NFL games should go back to being broadcast on AM radio.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.