Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags should hire Tony Romo

(01-21-2019, 01:50 PM)3/4 Back Wrote: Romo is intelligent and shows a lot of enthusiasm for his job. That puts him a step ahead of the other commentators.

It comes down to preference.  I respect your opinion and the opinion of everyone here that gets great enjoyment out of listening to Tony Romo.

Chris Spielman is intelligent and has a lot of enthusiasm.  Spielman is my favorite current NFL analyst.  Part of this is because of my familiarity with his style dating back to his playing days with the Lions and even before that when he was a great player on the College Level.   

While I look forward to listening to Chris Spielman,  there's something about Tony Romo's style that turns me off.  I'm taking away nothing from the football knowledge that Romo has.  But of the # 1 crew / National Analysts,  Romo is the current one that I least prefer to be doing the commentary of the game I want to watch.  On the other hand, I'm a fan of the Joe Buck/ Troy Aikman team.  Many people can't stand listening to them.  Which is fine.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM by Caldrac.)

Romo is the [BLEEP]. I like what he's been doing in the booth. He really does make the game more interesting to watch. I hope he stays there. Eventually he should find himself on SNF when Michaels or Collinsworth retires.

(01-21-2019, 05:23 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 01:50 PM)3/4 Back Wrote: Romo is intelligent and shows a lot of enthusiasm for his job. That puts him a step ahead of the other commentators.

It comes down to preference.  I respect your opinion and the opinion of everyone here that gets great enjoyment out of listening to Tony Romo.

Chris Spielman is intelligent and has a lot of enthusiasm.  Spielman is my favorite current NFL analyst.  Part of this is because of my familiarity with his style dating back to his playing days with the Lions and even before that when he was a great player on the College Level.   

While I look forward to listening to Chris Spielman,  there's something about Tony Romo's style that turns me off.  I'm taking away nothing from the football knowledge that Romo has.  But of the # 1 crew / National Analysts,  Romo is the current one that I least prefer to be doing the commentary of the game I want to watch.  On the other hand, I'm a fan of the Joe Buck/ Troy Aikman team.  Many people can't stand listening to them.  Which is fine.

Aikman and Buck are pretty good together. They always look high as hell though when they do close up's on them in the booth. I know it's probably just media "red eye" or whatever the hell it's called but it's always funny. Sometimes Buck will jump ahead of Aikman and Aikman will acknowledge that or something to that extent. They throw barbs at each other here and there but they do it in such a respectful manner that you can barely tell or notice it. They enjoy it. 

I honestly can't stand the Monday Night Football crew on ESPN though. It's really boring. Flat. Just can't get passed Jason and Booger over there. Gruden should have never quit what he was doing. He was pretty decent on MNF. At least compared to what they have now.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I agree on Romo as a commentator. Either he really keeps up with what's going on in the NFL or he studies before assignments. I can't remember which Jags game it was but it was refreshing to hear a national commentator have some understanding of what was going on with the Jags. Most national guys just run with the national narrative of the team and tell the same national jokes. The fact that he genuinely seems to enjoy what he's doing is also nice. I thought he would be kind of a bore like Aikman was at first. Aikman has gotten better and added a little personality too.

You know who needs to be replaced in the booth its Joe Buck and Troy Aikman does anyone get tired of them slobbering all over the cowboys no matter whose playing and Troy always has to bring up "back when I played I would of completed that pass" or some dumb crap like that so annoying them two haha.
No Fun

Shad Khan should make Tony Romo the following offer:

1. Serve as QB for 3-4 years while grooming a rookie.
2. Upon retirement and/or injury, he is guaranteed to step into the HC position.
3. Upon retirement from head coaching, Khan then deeds the team over to him.

No way Romo would turn down this deal.

(01-22-2019, 09:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Shad Khan should make Tony Romo the following offer:

2. Upon retirement and/or injury, he is guaranteed to step into the HC position.

Romo only takes that deal if Khan throws in the Fulham FC team and ownership of Wembley Stadium, which Khan is required to consummate the stadium deal by 2020.

(01-22-2019, 09:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 09:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Shad Khan should make Tony Romo the following offer:

Romo only takes that deal if Khan throws in the Fulham FC team and ownership of Wembley Stadium, which Khan is required to consummate the stadium deal by 2020.

all night long!!

Yeah, what's the risk?  All he could do is [BLEEP] up his surgically repaired back for the rest of his life.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I would be happy if he joined our radio team.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

CBS is not letting Romo go.

He will be sitting back and relaxing for the rest of his life getting paid millions.

His personality is made for TV. Not for coaching.

Why is this a thread? lol. dang.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(01-21-2019, 09:03 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:57 AM)maheo30 Wrote: Haha!!! We disagree. I think he is so bad I put him on mute. There is only one other person I do that for, Beth Mowins. This is the first time I've seen people who like his  commentating.  To each his own.

Wow, I've never heard anyone feel that way. How can yo... never mind. Agree to disagree on this one.

I'm right there with maheo. He contradicts himself a ton in the effort to avoid a millisecond of dead air.

He seems compelled to respond to every single statement that his broadcast partner makes, even if it is not a detail that requires commentary or elaboration.

His style of commentary doesn't work for me, at all.  Same went for Gruden, though, too.

(01-21-2019, 02:06 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 01:16 PM)scottyg Wrote: Ketchman calls him Chatty Cathy and pretty much hates his commentary.
I've never heard pre-snap commentary like Romo's and I think he is great at it.

Ketchman is classic old school though. He's kind of guy to turn on the game, watch it, and not say a word the entire time. I can see why he doesn't like Romo's commentary. Personally, I mostly like it but he starts to grate as the game goes on, he's constantly talking, even when he doesn't have to. Some more quiet would help bring out the good points from all the noise.

Old school or old fart?  Ketchman's been conditioned by 40+ years of silent press box watching and won't let his wife talk to him while he watches a game now that he's retired.  
Hell, man, I keep telling my wife that she can talk to me all she wants if she watches football with me - I don't need the commentary and can follow the game just fine without it.  Instead, she always wants to watch random, obscure sci-fi and thriller crap, talks through half the movie, and then keeps asking me what's happening.  Madness!

Umm, anyway, I find myself critiquing Romo's commentary in my mind only because "Chatty Cathy", and there are definitely times after plays that he gets wordy, but I wouldn't change his pre-snap commentary one bit.

He's a "Chatty Cathy"? But isn't his job to.... ya know.... talk?

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Al Michael's makes $5m per year. I'd have to assume Romo will exceed that soon so it would be of no benefit for him to take a coaching job unless it's Dallas and Jerry is willing to pay top dollar and deed the club off to him (along with Manchester City FC after he buys the club)

(01-22-2019, 10:09 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 09:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Romo only takes that deal if Khan throws in the Fulham FC team and ownership of Wembley Stadium, which Khan is required to consummate the stadium deal by 2020.

all night long!!

I'M TALKING ABOUT DEFINITION #2 (not #3)  --- ha !!

verb (used with object), con·sum·mat·ed, con·sum·mat·ing.

1) to bring to a state of perfection; fulfill.
2) to complete (an arrangement, agreement, or the like) by a pledge or the signing of a contract:The company consummated its deal to buy a smaller firm.
3) to complete (the union of a marriage) by the first marital sexual intercourse.

Romo is terrific. CBS agrees as they're about to give him a bump in pay because his analysis is almost alwasy spot on. I enjoy his enthusiasm for the game, and his abiltiy to look at the alignments and pretty much predict where the play is going to do is second to none. In the NE game this weekend, I don't think he got a play wrong. He studies the film, recognizes play calling tendencies, and really understands the game.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-22-2019, 03:41 PM)FBT Wrote: Romo is terrific.  CBS agrees as they're about to give him a bump in pay because his analysis is almost alwasy spot on.  I enjoy his enthusiasm for the game, and his abiltiy to look at the alignments and pretty much predict where the play is going to do is second to none.  In the NE game this weekend, I don't think he got a play wrong.  He studies the film, recognizes play calling tendencies, and really understands the game.

It is really cool when he tells you what is about to happen and then it does. Adds a cool element to the game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I think the entire country is in love with Romo now.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM by Rockman1966. Edit Reason: Remove political content )

(01-22-2019, 11:00 AM)Dimson Wrote: I would be happy if he joined our radio team.

[mod edit] Wait a second....

I'd rather have anyone besides Frangie.  He's awful.
I admit, I liked Brian Sexton.  Lageman, too.  Boselli is a marblemouth.
Favorite Sexton moment, he's a contestant  "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and is a total douche, then flames out spectacularly.  Not answer any of his three questions correctly.  Too funny.