Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
20 Dependants for a 20K return?

So, I hear a story today that I absolutely don't believe (Right?). A man legally working in the USA is able to claim twenty dependents that he supports in another country to receive earned income credit and received a refund of over twenty thousand dollars. I'm not sure if someone could do that, but given the stance of some of our elected government officials, I could be wrong. Can you claim dependents that live abroad? How would you prove, or disprove that someone really was supporting twenty dependents.

I have a feeling someone will set me straight on this pretty quickly, but man ... If not? Wow!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM by Caldrac.)

I don't know if it's true or not. But seeing is that the Government is basically the Federal Reserve's [BLEEP] and we all get taxed out the [BLEEP] to the tune of essentially working 3 - 4 months per year for free. Or promises of retirement money IF we can somehow manage to make it that far in life.

Anything is possible I guess. The cost of Freedom I suppose. I may not like being gouged every year. But it sure as hell beats living and working in probably over 50% of the rest of the world.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I guess if I wanted activity, I should have mentioned that the tax payer receiver was Hispanic?

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 09:38 PM by mikesez.)

I think the ability to add additional dependents to the eitc stops at some number much less than 20.
Yeah it's supposed to be three, I looked it up.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-21-2019, 07:33 PM)Sammy Wrote: So, I hear a story today that I absolutely don't believe (Right?). A man legally working in the USA is able to claim twenty dependents that he supports in another country to receive earned income credit and received a refund of over twenty thousand dollars. I'm not sure if someone could do that, but given the stance of some of our elected government officials, I could be wrong. Can you claim dependents that live abroad? How would you prove, or disprove that someone really was supporting twenty dependents.

I have a feeling someone will set me straight on this pretty quickly, but man ... If not? Wow!

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/gl...ptions.pdf

There are major limitations in claiming a dependent. it's not like you can claim anyone as a dependent (19 years old and under, lived with you for a half of a year, etc.).

It was possible up until 2017 you could claim non-citizen dependents with a laundry list of exceptions. You would be required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Twenty seems extreme though.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-21-2019, 10:34 PM)B2hibry Wrote: It was possible up until 2017 you could claim non-citizen dependents with a laundry list of exceptions. You would be required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Twenty seems extreme though.

Medicare and Medicaid are defrauded for millions of dollars all the time. This seems like small potatoes that they wouldn't even waste time on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-22-2019, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:34 PM)B2hibry Wrote: It was possible up until 2017 you could claim non-citizen dependents with a laundry list of exceptions. You would be required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Twenty seems extreme though.

Medicare and Medicaid are defrauded for millions of dollars all the time. This seems like small potatoes that they wouldn't even waste time on.

No doubt. Yet, they’d be waiting to audit me for a common error.

Here is a reported example...

https://www.facebook.com/168452157179232...208618558/

It's definitely a thing.

$20,000 refund wow that's insane has to be some fraud involved
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM by copycat.)

I am ticked off at my parents for making me a responsible member of society. And I don't even blame the illegals in this, as the criminal said, if they are gonna give me this opportunity why shouldn't I take it.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

The Fair Tax would eliminate so much of this.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 08:59 PM by TJBender.)

(01-23-2019, 05:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The Fair Tax would eliminate so much of this.

A straight consumption tax would eliminate all of this.

And the for-profit tax preparation industry.

And the IRS.

(01-23-2019, 08:58 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The Fair Tax would eliminate so much of this.

A straight consumption tax would eliminate all of this.

And the IRS.

And most of the government's control of your life, so no chance in hell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-23-2019, 09:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:58 PM)TJBender Wrote: A straight consumption tax would eliminate all of this.

And the IRS.

And most of the government's control of your life, so no chance in hell.

A man can dream.

My wife pretty much drops our tax papers (mostly in electronic format) off to the accountant, so as far a I knew it was possible to claim multiple dependents living in a different country. I don't miss the days of doing my own taxes, it was getting to be a part time job keeping track of all the expenditures.