Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Most underrated Jags in history

Some will raise eyebrows on some of these because some of these players were indeed known to be good, but I'm just saying they were better than given credit for by history.

1. Mark Brunell - he was really good in his day; he had a very good arm, was accurate, could scramble, throw deep and throw well on the run. I don't know why he doesn't get more love. His stats are not overwhelming, but you have to consider the era he played in. Completion %'s have to be up 5 points on average since those days. Brunell is, by far, the best QB the Jags ever had. 

2. Natrone Means - Short stint here, but that playoff run in 1996 was a lot of his doing. I never in my life saw a player shuck a Bruce Smith tackle when he had a clean shot, but Means did. He was a real force. 

3. Leon Searcy - Fans always remember Boselli (and for good reason) but Leon was very solid at RT.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fred Taylor, Brad Meester, Daryl Smith & Rob Meier.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Mark Brunell is in the Pride. There's a better case for saying he's overrated rather than underrated.

Freddy-T, Tony Brakens, Vince Manuwai

All three of these guys are well know in the Jags community but relatively low key outside. They dominated in their respective positions.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Brackens might have the largest gap between talent and notariety.

People outside the jags circle don’t know him at all - and he was a beast.
Similar deal with Daryl Smith.

Morten Anderson

Daryl Smith from a Jag only perspective. Didn’t really get recognition even locally how great he was. Freddy T from a national perspective, I think he was a (or really close) top 10 all time RB talent.

(02-01-2019, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Brackens might  have the largest gap between talent and notariety.

Absolutely one of my favorite Jags.  Feels like we had quite a few quiet guys that did there jobs very well and you didn’t hear a peep from them. Add Rashean Mathis to that group.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 08:39 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2019, 07:46 PM)Jags239 Wrote: Daryl Smith from a Jag only perspective. Didn’t really get recognition even locally how great he was. Freddy T from a national perspective, I think he was a (or really close) top 10 all time RB talent.

This, Smith never even made a Pro Bowl which is comical.

(02-01-2019, 08:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Brackens might  have the largest gap between talent and notariety.

Absolutely one of my favorite Jags.  Feels like we had quite a few quiet guys that did there jobs very well and you didn’t hear a peep from them. Add Rashean Mathis to that group.

Yea, Mathis was underrated for sure.

There are two highly underrated names when it comes to pass rushers. Each were only good for like one season, but they were really good that season. I'm talking about Bobby McCray and Greg Favors. Favors was a LB they moved to DE, and we were all like "wow." McCray was textbook during his one great season with photo-worthy sacks one after another all season long. If only he wasn't such a major disappointment vs the run, he had so much potential.
'02

Joel Smeenge. He's still number two all time in sacks for the team although Ngakoue is probably going take that from him next year.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-01-2019, 07:46 PM)Jags239 Wrote: Daryl Smith from a Jag only perspective. Didn’t really get recognition even locally how great he was. Freddy T from a national perspective, I think he was a (or really close) top 10 all time RB talent.

Not sure even top 20, but he was good. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap300000...f-all-time

I feel like I have a different definition of underrated than most. Most of the names in this thread are highly regarded as being among the best Jaguars. I get that. For instance, Donovin Darius is a guy who you don't see ranking on overall league lists and who even ranked low when the Jaguars came out with a defensive player ranking, but he should be right near the top by all rights for everything he did. The guy is highly underrated, but when I think of the term I think of the obscure guy who gets totally overlooked but played like one of the best. 
'02

(02-01-2019, 09:04 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:

Not sure even top 20, but he was good. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap300000...f-all-time

Fred Taylor so deserves to be on that list and is easily better than several of those names including Jerome Bettis and Thurman Thomas. He does get overlooked mainly because he doesn't have a ton of Pro Bowls attached to his name as he was always in LaDainian Tomlinson's shadow. He was pretty much just as good as Tomlinson running the ball, but Tomlinson was also a pass-catching beast. I personally have FT sneaking into the top 15.

Deon Grant was probably the best FS we've ever had and rarely gets any mention even among Jaguars fans. 
'02

(02-01-2019, 09:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Joel Smeenge. He's still number two all time in sacks for the team although Ngakoue is probably going take that from him next year.

JOEL SMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNGGGEEEEE!!!! takes me way back and also makes me recall AARON BBEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSLLLLEEYYYY!!!
'02

All time great Harry Colon.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-01-2019, 07:18 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Some will raise eyebrows on some of these because some of these players were indeed known to be good, but I'm just saying they were better than given credit for by history.

1. Mark Brunell - he was really good in his day; he had a very good arm, was accurate, could scramble, throw deep and throw well on the run. I don't know why he doesn't get more love. His stats are not overwhelming, but you have to consider the era he played in. Completion %'s have to be up 5 points on average since those days. Brunell is, by far, the best QB the Jags ever had. 

2. Natrone Means - Short stint here, but that playoff run in 1996 was a lot of his doing. I never in my life saw a player shuck a Bruce Smith tackle when he had a clean shot, but Means did. He was a real force. 

3. Leon Searcy - Fans always remember Boselli (and for good reason) but Leon was very solid at RT.

Most forget though Tony was the LT. And LT get all the money and press. Tech On the Jags the RT was the more important position. I mean with our LH QB RT was actuall LT (blindside) and LT was RT. Leon was the man.

(02-01-2019, 09:10 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I feel like I have a different definition of underrated than most. Most of the names in this thread are highly regarded as being among the best Jaguars. I get that. For instance, Donovin Darius is a guy who you don't see ranking on overall league lists and who even ranked low when the Jaguars came out with a defensive player ranking, but he should be right near the top by all rights for everything he did. The guy is highly underrated, but when I think of the term I think of the obscure guy who gets totally overlooked but played like one of the best. 

THANK YOU. I can't believe no one before you mentioned DD.

Greg Jones. If u say no Greg Jones says I am coming.