Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Most underrated Jags in history

(02-02-2019, 08:49 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Ben Coleman

Agreed completely.

He did a great job in Boselli's absence against some of the best, including Derrick Thomas, Jason Taylpr and Jevon Kearse.

I would also include Seth Payne.

He was an unheralded 4th round draft pick, and it took him a couple of years to get going under TC (like Brackens), but he and Gary Walker formed a formidable DT duo for us between 1999-2001.  Our run defense was never very good until he and Walker paired up in 1999.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2019, 07:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think Rashean Mathis is very underrated. He made a lot of pro bowls, but no one ever talks about him being in the Pride or anything like that.

(02-02-2019, 12:11 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Paul Posluszny

Definitely.   When he was playing, everyone wanted to replace him, but last year, when we didn't have him any more, everybody talked about how much the defense missed him.  Especially the run defense.

Only speed kept paul posluznt from being an elite middle linebacker, he had everything else, just couldnt run.

(02-02-2019, 05:06 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Greg Jones. If u say no Greg Jones says I am coming.

That was my pick as well. He accepted the mantle and rolled with it.  Love Joel as well.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

David Garrard, for sure. Was hot and cold at times, but made some of the most incredible plays I've ever seen and rarely got anything but scorn from the rank and file fans who wanted another Brunell. Would've taken us all the way in 2007 if we wouldn't have had two knuckleheads at WR who dropped balls against the "unbeatable" Pats. 

Nobody has mentioned Jeff Lageman and I think he was a lynchpin of our early success. Wonder too how much John Jurkovich helped in those early years with his experience and leadership and he doesn't get mentioned ever. 

Lastly, I thought Kevin Hardy deserved a mention as he had some pretty good years here before leaving.

(02-03-2019, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Rashean Mathis is very underrated.   He made a lot of pro bowls, but no one ever talks about him being in the Pride or anything like that.

Mathis only made one pro bowl

(02-04-2019, 03:43 AM)Russian Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Rashean Mathis is very underrated.   He made a lot of pro bowls, but no one ever talks about him being in the Pride or anything like that.

Mathis only made one pro bowl

You're right.  I am mistaken.   

I still think he's underrated.   The year he did make the Pro Bowl he was voted in as a starter alongside Champ Bailey.

Paul Spicer
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 12:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-03-2019, 07:02 PM)Mdjagsfan1989 Wrote: Only speed kept paul posluznt from being an elite middle linebacker, he had everything else, just couldnt run.
I think the fact that he played for the sorry [BLEEP] Jags during their decade of filth was a better reason he went under the radar from a national perspective.  Had he gone to the Patriots he would have been in the national spotlight as one of their star players.

(02-02-2019, 05:06 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Greg Jones. If u say no Greg Jones says I am coming.

YES. I forgot about him. Dude was a beast and did his job well.

(02-01-2019, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Brackens might  have the largest gap between talent and notariety.

People outside the jags circle don’t know him at all - and he was a beast.
Similar deal with Daryl Smith.

Smith was going to be my choice. When Caldwell gutted this team and let him go, I was furious. He still had some in the tank and proved it in Baltimore. Dude was a straight up beast.

If we take Haskins, lets remember to come back in a year or two to this thread so we can unanimously vote to add the BOAT to the list

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

No one that hasn't already been mentioned, but I'm going with Leon Searcy, Donovin Darius, and Rashean Mathis.

Searcy because, in his two years, was still probably our second best OL.

Darius because he created fear for opposing receivers. It'd be nice to have someone like him now when we have All-Pro corners.

Mathis was a quiet but consistent play-maker. He missed about 20 games and still put up 30 INTs here.

(02-05-2019, 05:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one that hasn't already been mentioned, but I'm going with Leon Searcy, Donovin Darius, and Rashean Mathis.

Darius because he created fear for opposing receivers. It'd be nice to have someone like him now when we have All-Pro corners.

Mathis was a quiet but consistent play-maker. He missed about 20 games and still put up 30 INTs here.

Under today's rules, Darius would be banned from the league.

Not that he was a dirty player.  Far from it.

But it seems the rules permit penalizing particularly hard hits-DD's specialty.

He will always be a favorite of mine.

Searcy played four seasons for us-technically five-but was lost to injury in the 2000 training camp.  1996-2000.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-05-2019, 05:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 05:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one that hasn't already been mentioned, but I'm going with Leon Searcy, Donovin Darius, and Rashean Mathis.

Under today's rules, Darius would be banned from the league.

Not that he was a dirty player.  Far from it.

But it seems the rules permit penalizing particularly hard hits-DD's specialty.

He will always be a favorite of mine.

Searcy played four seasons for us-technically five-but was lost to injury in the 2000 training camp.  1996-2000.

Oh, I agree. He would've been banned early and often. It's funny how they promote players like Lynch and how they played while also making their play style obsolete. 

Not sure why I typed two years instead of four.

Mathis had a pretty decent career here in Jacksonville.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

No love for Josh Scobee?

He was a solid kicker for years, with a monster leg and had no problem getting touchbacks on kickoffs, and won us several games with a last second kick.

When his time was up, netted us a draft pick from Pitt, and he lasted only a few weeks before they replaced him.

Most importantly, all the dang free subs. Thank you, Scoobs!

Fred Taylor practically had a Hall of Fame career. Daryl Smith was always overlooked. Scobee was a good kicker for us, before he fell off the map entirely. Tony Boselli is underrated until gets into the HoF.
No pain, no gain.

(02-06-2019, 10:58 AM)Mikey Wrote: No love for Josh Scobee?

He was a solid kicker for years, with a monster leg and had no problem getting touchbacks on kickoffs, and won us several games with a last second kick.

When his time was up, netted us a draft pick from Pitt, and he lasted only a few weeks before they replaced him.

Most importantly, all the dang free subs.  Thank you, Scoobs!

I will always have a warm spot in my heart for Scobee, the Colt killer.

That one year Matt Jones was good