Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(01-23-2019, 04:40 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 04:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Not saying is as a guy who likes Blake. It just doesn’t make any sense finicially period, and if they do cut him I sure hope to see Foles and a rookie.

So if you are GM, what backup is available for 4.5M better than Blake? Name one.

I agree that it doesn't make financial since. But I think in the cap situation we are going to find ourselves in this offseason, we are going to have to shave every dollar we can. 

I think that the if you exclude the financial situation, you have to look at what keeping him is going to do to our locker room and fanbase. I don't think keeping him around is going to send a good message around this young locker room. I don't think bortles has been a locker room cancer like some people believe, but I think that any one with half a mind about football knows that bortles is not going to be the person who leads this team to the next level. How could you tell a group of guys that we are not throwing in the towel on next season while keeping a 20 mil a year signal caller around for a financial purpose only. 

If you bring in a top guy in FA, You have to get rid of him. if he is NOT going to be the starter come week one, I think you have to get rid of him as well. That is just me. having a guy who is the back up making 20 mil a year no matter what the dead cap game comes out to is not a good look IMO.
I’m not saying keep this guy as the starter lol. I’m as big a Bortles basher as the next guy. You keep him to be the back up, that’s it. Who cares about look at this point it’s only for a year, the FO looked like absolute fools in the first place giving the contract. Forget about look and do what’s right for the team for once. No player or fan hates Blake. Most of us just agree he just isn’t that good at all. Could he be a serviceable back up? Yeah sure. Are we going to find one better than him for 4.5M? Absolutely not. Forget optics and thinking about what others think. Get your starter in the draft or grab Foles in FA, leave Bortles as the back up ... and sleep in the bed you made. Cutting Bortles and then finding a decent backup only means cutting more players and making the wound even deeper than it already is. This FO has been making horrendous decisions lately, it’s time to make a smart one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cutting Bortles and trying to sign a free agent backup to a rookie is about the dumbest thing that they could do.

If the team goes after a free agent QB (which is what I think they will do) I think it's going to be for a longer term than most people realize.  I'm talking at least a 3 year contract which would make sense.  Draft who they think will be the future either in the upcoming draft or next off-season and groom him.  There is no need to rush... that's what gets teams in trouble.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-23-2019, 04:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: So if you are GM, what backup is available for 4.5M better than Blake? Name one.

McCown. I would also far rather have an extremely experienced and cerebral guy like McCown as the new QBs mentor than Blake.

(01-23-2019, 05:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Cutting Bortles and trying to sign a free agent backup to a rookie is about the dumbest thing that they could do.

If the team goes after a free agent QB (which is what I think they will do) I think it's going to be for a longer term than most people realize.  I'm talking at least a 3 year contract which would make sense.  Draft who they think will be the future either in the upcoming draft or next off-season and groom him.  There is no need to rush... that's what gets teams in trouble.

I agree. Then I the questions comes down to who will be that FA. If you take Flacco, I think that you are looking at a 34 y/o who may not have a 3-4 year deal left in the tank. Foles is someone who would make the most since if you are looking for someone to fit that roll. 

But I do agree that taking someone who is no more than a back up caliber along with a rookie is something that is not a good move considering all the question marks for the QBs in this draft class.

(01-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 04:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: So if you are GM, what backup is available for 4.5M better than Blake? Name one.

McCown. I would also far rather have an extremely experienced and cerebral guy like McCown as the new QBs mentor than Blake.

Josh McCown? The 17th-year, ready-to-retire qb who finished with a 55.8 qb rating this past season? 
'02

(01-23-2019, 06:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Upper Wrote: McCown. I would also far rather have an extremely experienced and cerebral guy like McCown as the new QBs mentor than Blake.

Josh McCown? The 17th-year, ready-to-retire qb who finished with a 55.8 qb rating this past season? 

I agree with why he would take McCown, but I don't think he is the guy for the reasons you put up.

I don't think that keeping blake for any other reason than he will be the guy to start is going to work with his salary. But I think everyone is in agreement he should not be that guy.

(01-23-2019, 06:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Upper Wrote: McCown. I would also far rather have an extremely experienced and cerebral guy like McCown as the new QBs mentor than Blake.

In a measly 110 pass sample, yes. The same one who just the year before put together a full season better than Bortles has had yet, with 100+ rate+ stats across the board.

Maybe McCown has fallen off a cliff performance wise, I don't know and frankly don't really care. I think he'd be a fantastic mentor to the next franchise QB and getting that franchise QB to reach his peak is far and away priority #1 for me with whichever QB we bring in.

(01-23-2019, 07:33 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 06:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Josh McCown? The 17th-year, ready-to-retire qb who finished with a 55.8 qb rating this past season? 

In a measly 110 pass sample, yes. The same one who just the year before put together a full season better than Bortles has had yet, with 100+ rate+ stats across the board.

Maybe McCown has fallen off a cliff performance wise, I don't know and frankly don't really care. I think he'd be a fantastic mentor to the next franchise QB and getting that franchise QB to reach his peak is far and away priority #1 for me with whichever QB we bring in.

At the same time a Harvard grad like fitzmagic may fit the cerebral build as well.

I don't think he is doing much in tampa because my FSU boy Winston(while I will always love him for what he did for my college) is about as dumb as they come so I don't think he can really fix that.

(01-23-2019, 07:39 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 07:33 PM)Upper Wrote: In a measly 110 pass sample, yes. The same one who just the year before put together a full season better than Bortles has had yet, with 100+ rate+ stats across the board.

At the same time a Harvard grad like fitzmagic may fit the cerebral build as well.

I don't think he is doing much in tampa because my FSU boy Winston(while I will always love him for what he did for my college) is about as dumb as they come so I don't think he can really fix that.

I'd be fine with Fitzmagic too, but there is already a DeFilippo/McCown connection so I just said him.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 08:31 PM by Cleatwood.)

“Hey Blake. Here’s your 21 million. Now go hold the clipboard”

Sounds really smart.

There have been numerous articles posted about how cutting Blake won’t set this team back that bad financially. They will still be able to pay top dollar to Ramsey and Yan.

If they go with Haskins, that’s even more money in the future while he’s on his rookie deal.

(01-23-2019, 03:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'll say it again... FINANCIALLY... it makes zero sense to cut Bortles. You only save 4.5M. What backup would you be able to get for 4.5M that would be comparable to Bortles? Blake doesn't have the personality that clashes with the FO or players, it's not like keeping him around becomes some burden. We are in a very tough spot cap wise. Cutting Malik makes enough room just to sign players from the upcoming rookie class. Now, if they go for Foles + Haskins/another rookie, sure cut Bortles and save yourself 4.5M.I don't see that happening because they'll have to cut two/three high priced vets. Throw in the possibility of extensions for Yannick and Myles Jack, do we really want to risk letting one of them touch FA? They'll be gone. One of them needs to be extended this year, see how the season goes, and see if you want to use the franchise tag.

Blake’s cost to the team is not just financial. If he is in the locker room it will say to all the players, “Can’t handle the pressure of Not For Long football? OTAs too much? That is okay. Just try your best and all will be okay.” It is a big fat double standard that divides rather than unites.

I will say Blake will not be in the locker room after June 1, 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01-23-2019, 08:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: “Hey Blake. Here’s your 21 million. Now go hold the clipboard”

Sounds really smart.

There have been numerous articles posted about how cutting Blake won’t set this team back that bad financially. They will still be able to pay top dollar to Ramsey and Yan.

If they go with Haskins, that’s even more money in the future while he’s on his rookie deal.

Only if he is back up QB and No 2 TE and in on all ST plays.

(01-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Upper Wrote:

The same McCown that played for a 10M contract last season? Yeah he isn’t coming for 4.5M.... 

I agree with you, but again... the Jags currently are in a cap mess. Signing McCown after cutting Bortles would mean cutting Parnell as well. Opening up another hole.

(01-23-2019, 09:21 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

The same McCown that played for a 10M contract last season? Yeah he isn’t coming for 4.5M.... 

I agree with you, but again... the Jags currently are in a cap mess. Signing McCown after cutting Bortles would mean cutting Parnell as well. Opening up another hole.
A mess that can quickly be solved with cuts that won’t be too big a deal.

(01-23-2019, 08:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hey Blake. Here’s your 21 million. Now go hold the clipboard”

Sounds really smart.

That is where we agree fully. 

I don't think there is an appropriate way of that unfolding without a rebellion from the locker room or the fan base.

(01-23-2019, 09:21 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The same McCown that played for a 10M contract last season? Yeah he isn’t coming for 4.5M.... 

I dunno I think it's possible. As has been pointed out he got the 10M coming off a legitimately really good 2017. Then he went out and only started 3 games, which weren't very good. I could see him having to settle for half of what he got last year.

(01-23-2019, 10:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 09:21 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The same McCown that played for a 10M contract last season? Yeah he isn’t coming for 4.5M.... 

A mess that can quickly be solved with cuts that won’t be too big a deal.
Not really man. With the expected cut of Malik, again this leaves just barely enough room for the upcoming rookie class. Then you figure a guy like Gipson is cut to make room for roster fillers, saves 7.5M. Throw in Hyde I guess call the 5th rounder a sunk cost, we are up to 12M for players to fill the roster. Extensions for Yannick or Myles? If I am them, you bet your [BLEEP] I am holding out for a deal. Yannick is going to want how much per year? Given his production and age, easily 15 per year minimum. What about Myles? Would you rather risk going into the next offseason with both expecting to be FAs? Risky move right there. Cut Bortles save that 4.5M, but then end up spending even more for a backup player to hold the clipboard? The difference between Bortles and McCown from 4.5M to 10M isn't enough for me to say, yeah lets do it. Makes no logical sense to me. Then throw in the idea of Foles for 20M per year... yikes. 

No clue what the FO is going to end up doing, but IMO it would be a terrible cap decision to cut him. We shall see I guess.  

(01-23-2019, 11:15 PM)Upper Wrote:

I dunno I think it's possible. As has been pointed out he got the 10M coming off a legitimately really good 2017. Then he went out and only started 3 games, which weren't very good. I could see him having to settle for half of what he got last year.

Eh, I know Jacksonville is the vacation spot, but he got 10M fully guaranteed last season. Even so, the market itself benefits him. Complete scrub QBs get paid good $$$, case in point... Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2019, 12:12 AM by Upper.)

(01-23-2019, 11:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Eh, I know Jacksonville is the vacation spot, but he got 10M fully guaranteed last season. Even so, the market itself benefits him. Complete scrub QBs get paid good $$$, case in point... Bortles.

The 4 years before last year McCown was only in the ~5M range. Fitzpatrick has been under 4M for 5 of the last 6 seasons. I think you're overshooting how much these aging stopgap guys get in typical years. I think we could get one of them for around the same amount we'll save from Bortles.

(01-23-2019, 11:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 10:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: A mess that can quickly be solved with cuts that won’t be too big a deal.
Not really man. With the expected cut of Malik, again this leaves just barely enough room for the upcoming rookie class. Then you figure a guy like Gipson is cut to make room for roster fillers, saves 7.5M. Throw in Hyde I guess call the 5th rounder a sunk cost, we are up to 12M for players to fill the roster. Extensions for Yannick or Myles? If I am them, you bet your [BLEEP] I am holding out for a deal. Yannick is going to want how much per year? Given his production and age, easily 15 per year minimum. What about Myles? Would you rather risk going into the next offseason with both expecting to be FAs? Risky move right there. Cut Bortles save that 4.5M, but then end up spending even more for a backup player to hold the clipboard? The difference between Bortles and McCown from 4.5M to 10M isn't enough for me to say, yeah lets do it. Makes no logical sense to me. Then throw in the idea of Foles for 20M per year... yikes. 

No clue what the FO is going to end up doing, but IMO it would be a terrible cap decision to cut him. We shall see I guess.  

(01-23-2019, 11:15 PM)Upper Wrote: I dunno I think it's possible. As has been pointed out he got the 10M coming off a legitimately really good 2017. Then he went out and only started 3 games, which weren't very good. I could see him having to settle for half of what he got last year.

Eh, I know Jacksonville is the vacation spot, but he got 10M fully guaranteed last season. Even so, the market itself benefits him. Complete scrub QBs get paid good $$$, case in point... Bortles.
Yes really.

Campbell is already talking about restructuring to extend his contract and help the cap this year. And how much do you think the rookie class will cost? This team is going to go one of two ways once they cut Blake (and make no mistake. He will be cut.), either they go with a rookie and cheap vet like McCown/Fitz or it's Foles. Either way, the cap will be just fine to resign Yan, Ramsey and even Jack. 

This team needs to cut him. He's not the answer at QB and if they know this, why keep him for one season and have him be a backup? It's such a backwards way of thinking. It's time to move on and just about every person (including Blake) has said they believe he will be gone.

At least he is still showing up every day to work and to get better. Love his attitude. I Think he can be the bridge QB to a rookiee and not waste a ton of money on someone who is only slightly better or even worst.

[Image: 51419482_10205458295094799_3266284802831...e=5CF54B62]