Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(12-24-2018, 07:09 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Brunnell says Bortles will he playing for another team. This thread is closed for discussion.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...ars-future

I was unaware that Mark Brunell made personnel decisions for the Jaguars. Let's discuss the apparent usurping of Tom Coughlin, then.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-24-2018, 05:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Your points are well received, but they really put themselves in a bind by extending him. 

Besides, I haven't really gotten any message from the "team" that they've actually declared "Blake is done."  
That seems to be just assumption from media. 
Have any team staff or administrators been quoted with anything that supports that? 
I thought Marrone simply was doing what plenty of HC's with their butt on the line have done over the years. 
(making changes like firing coordinators and benching QBs)

Yea I dont think the team has officially said anything yet. But didnt the NFL Network announce we are moving on after the season? They could have just been making assumptions but wouldn't shock me if the team had leaked that news out. And while Oehser isnt the voice of the jags, he keeps saying word around the team is Blake wont be back. Cant imagine the team would like him saying that if they are still undecided. Nothing is official but it feels like more than just rumors.

Nope, not getting tricked by 6 passing attempts against an awful defense missing its top 3 players. Don't want Bortles anywhere near our new QB.

Not happening. How long does a guy in a company hang around when he gets demoted? Jags don't want him and he wants to be somewhere else.

I’ve actually thought this for awhile. My thought was that Bortles was benched to appease the fan base, but at the same time knowing that the offense wouldn’t perform any better, proving that all of the problems aren’t on Blake. I honestly thought he’d start the last 2 games of the year, with management hoping he’d perform better than Kessler, so they could sell the idea of bringing him back next year. With what we owe him next year, and all of the injuries we suffered, I just don’t see how we don’t bring him back, as well as making a QB a high priority in the draft.

If Doug announces that he’s starting Blake this week, that tells me that management is holding out hope that he performs well so we can bring him back. If we were completely done with him, I don’t think he’d have seen the field again this year.

Also, this QB class looks week.

(12-24-2018, 02:58 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Is Bortles playing next week? You guys think they whoop the texans?

Umm.. shouldn't you be more concerned about beating the Colts?

We're already in the playoffs

(12-25-2018, 03:21 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 02:58 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Is Bortles playing next week? You guys think they whoop the texans?

Umm.. shouldn't you be more concerned about beating the Colts?

We're already in the playoffs

may well be the worst team there however.

He will be gone get over it.
No Fun

(12-25-2018, 05:04 AM)nhiverson Wrote: He will be gone get over it.

Lol, you're going to be sad come September.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

As long as we draft Grier or Haskins I really don’t care who our temp is. Maybe Flacco is a slight upgrade but not gonna push us over the hump.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 11:35 AM by JAGFAN88.)

(12-25-2018, 02:43 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Also, this QB class looks week.

Yea 2020 has a much better QB class. As i have stated your roll the dice with a new OC and a upgraded oline see if Blake can get you back to the playoffs and beyond. Draft oline this year and WR and TE and More oline. If blake fails like so many of you claim we are in the drivers seat for 2020. If he does not package everything you got and move up in 2020 and get the Franchise QB you need. I just dont see a Frachise QB in this draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772...raft-class

(12-24-2018, 02:43 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: A few reasons:

He was pretty good the first few weeks of the year and the end of last year when we had a decent OL. We had a top pass blocking OL the first few weeks and we were 3-1 with him. Not a stretch to put a lot of blame on the OL. Look at the teams with bad OLs this year, most have a bad record.

Keeping Marrone (as is indicated) doubt they make a huge QB move. 

The cost of cutting him, even post June 1st, and signing a vet is expensive. Flacco, Stafford, even Teddy aren't coming cheap. And we all know the out for Blake is ideally 2020, financially. 

We'll draft a QB, that's a given I believe at this point. But the team likes Blake. They rallied around him against Miami. I don't expect them to bring an expensive stop gap. Not a traditional Jags style move.

The offense was decimated by injuries and Hackett was questionable in his game planning. We all know Bortles needs rollouts, RPOs, etc to utilize his real skillset. A new OC may do just that.

This is just my opinion, but I believe it's the most likely scenario. Bortles plays one more year/until the rookie takes over and then we cut him after the out in his contract comes up. Is it ideal? Probably not. But unless they sign a vet to a long term deal, this is what I expect to happen.

If Caldwell and Coughlin don't think there is a QB in the draft that is "The Guy" to be the answer at QB for the forseeable future and no clear upgrade over the potential of Bortles or even something close to him, Bortles will start next season. An established veteran such as Foles who is a clear upgrade will be too expensive.

(12-24-2018, 05:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote: Agreed.  I still think Bortles is gone, but, they have to get him to rework that contract in some way to reduce his impact on 2020.  I just don’t see that happening.   

So, it’s not an absolute given he’s gone.  

Someone mentioned above that Marrone being retained means Blake is back are off target completely.  Doug inherited Blake.  That’s not his guy. He’s Caldwell’s legacy, and all indications are Dave is done.

They don't have to get him to re work his contract to get rid of him. The cap is healthy enough to absorb it

Trying to rework his deal would be more about retaining him than moving on.  Either way it’s almost completely unlikely he’d agree. Plus, I still expect him to be gone on or after 6/1.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-24-2018, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote: ...

Someone mentioned above that Marrone being retained means Blake is back are off target completely.  Doug inherited Blake.  That’s not his guy. He’s Caldwell’s legacy, and all indications are Dave is done.

Actually the same source indicating Marrone is staying indicated the same for Caldwell. (more or less)

Quote:Shad Khan is not panicking, sources say, nor is he looking for a scapegoat. Less than a year after locking in his entire upper-level power structure to contract extensions, he wants to see it through.
^ Rapoport

Caldwell was among those extensions.

We’ll see. Local media, which should and usually is more plugged in than Rapoport, seems to coalesce behind the mindset that Dave is gone.  We’ll know soon enough.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-25-2018, 02:52 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 02:43 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: A few reasons:

He was pretty good the first few weeks of the year and the end of last year when we had a decent OL. We had a top pass blocking OL the first few weeks and we were 3-1 with him. Not a stretch to put a lot of blame on the OL. Look at the teams with bad OLs this year, most have a bad record.

Keeping Marrone (as is indicated) doubt they make a huge QB move. 

The cost of cutting him, even post June 1st, and signing a vet is expensive. Flacco, Stafford, even Teddy aren't coming cheap. And we all know the out for Blake is ideally 2020, financially. 

We'll draft a QB, that's a given I believe at this point. But the team likes Blake. They rallied around him against Miami. I don't expect them to bring an expensive stop gap. Not a traditional Jags style move.

The offense was decimated by injuries and Hackett was questionable in his game planning. We all know Bortles needs rollouts, RPOs, etc to utilize his real skillset. A new OC may do just that.

This is just my opinion, but I believe it's the most likely scenario. Bortles plays one more year/until the rookie takes over and then we cut him after the out in his contract comes up. Is it ideal? Probably not. But unless they sign a vet to a long term deal, this is what I expect to happen.

If Caldwell and Coughlin don't think there is a QB in the draft that is "The Guy" to be the answer at QB for the forseeable future and no clear upgrade over the potential of Bortles or even something close to him, Bortles will start next season. An established veteran such as Foles who is a clear upgrade will be too expensive.

This is essentially the biggest point I was getting at.

(12-25-2018, 08:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 05:04 AM)nhiverson Wrote: He will be gone get over it.

Lol, you're going to be sad come September.

lol you are gonna be sad for all next season then.

(12-25-2018, 07:16 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 08:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, you're going to be sad come September.

lol you are gonna be sad for all next season then.

No I won't, unlike some of you I cheer for who is here. It just seems that you guys have so much sheer hate for Bortles that things that aren't his fault are taken out on him and you aren't going to be satisfied as you think you will, just like with Cody and his failure. Bortles is better than Kessler and half the current NFL starters and here at a reasonable cost for one more year, so it wont be surprising if he stays.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 04:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blake's contract and mobility are the only "reasons" why there's any sliver of possibility he sticks around as a bridge QB till a rookie is ready to take over.

I think the odds are more in favor of that bridge QB being someone else.

If the next OC gets really clever with Bortles as a bridge, maybe it could work out without disastrous consequences, but I don't really have much optimism in that plan.

Agreed.  I still think Bortles is gone, but, they have to get him to rework that contract in some way to reduce his impact on 2020.  I just don’t see that happening.   

So, it’s not an absolute given he’s gone.  

Oh? What indications might those be? 

They're keeping Doug, so I'm guessing they keep Dave too.
'02

(12-25-2018, 07:56 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Oh? What indications might those be? 

They're keeping Doug, so I'm guessing they keep Dave too.

It's time for NFL relegation. Jokanovic leads Fulham to magical promotion season last year, then he gets fired after less than half a season this year year. Caldwell has 5 out of 6 terrible years and people think he is staying for a 7th year.

Make winning and the money tied to winning be the driving force of your franchise. Shad's raking in the dough either way in the NFL so he has put that on the back burner.