Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(12-26-2018, 12:43 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 10:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bridge QBs? Who cares about them?

Draft a rookie and start them. Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Darnold and Rosen are all starting and getting valuable experience. Sure they will have some bumps along the way but the Jags will have a strong D once again with a running game. That’s what you want for a young QB.

Cut Blake. Move on.

Indeed. If we're drafting a top 10 QB in the first round we don't need a bridge. You start the rook, take the lumps and build around him.

I strongly disagree with this. Whoever we draft at QB, needs to sit and learn. I think this is one of the key mistakes the team made with Bortles--throwing him in the fire before he was ready. The Chiefs, in my opinion, did it the right way with Mahomes - for the most part they let him sit last year, with a few exceptions when he was asked to mop up in clean up time.  Whoever we draft next year at QB needs to sit in 2019, behind a veteran-either Bortles or someone else.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-26-2018, 01:19 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 12:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. If we're drafting a top 10 QB in the first round we don't need a bridge. You start the rook, take the lumps and build around him.

I strongly disagree with this. Whoever we draft at QB, needs to sit and learn. I think this is one of the key mistakes the team made with Bortles--throwing him in the fire before he was ready. The Chiefs, in my opinion, did it the right way with Mahomes - for the most part they let him sit last year, with a few exceptions when he was asked to mop up in clean up time.  Whoever we draft next year at QB needs to sit in 2019, behind a veteran-either Bortles or someone else.
And if the Chiefs didn’t have Alex Smith, then what?

Bortles didn’t turn out bad because he played a lot of games his rookie season. He’s bad because he’s bad. You learn more from playing than you do sitting. Mahomes and Rodgers sat because their QB was better and still playing at a high level. No matter if it’s Blake or a vet, they won’t be playing at a higher level than the rookie. Roll with the rookie and let him take his bumps along the way. He will be better for it.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 01:49 PM by JagsorDie.)

(12-26-2018, 01:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 01:19 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I strongly disagree with this. Whoever we draft at QB, needs to sit and learn. I think this is one of the key mistakes the team made with Bortles--throwing him in the fire before he was ready. The Chiefs, in my opinion, did it the right way with Mahomes - for the most part they let him sit last year, with a few exceptions when he was asked to mop up in clean up time.  Whoever we draft next year at QB needs to sit in 2019, behind a veteran-either Bortles or someone else.
And if the Chiefs didn’t have Alex Smith, then what?

Bortles didn’t turn out bad because he played a lot of games his rookie season. He’s bad because he’s bad. You learn more from playing than you do sitting. Mahomes and Rodgers sat because their QB was better and still playing at a high level. No matter if it’s Blake or a vet, they won’t be playing at a higher level than the rookie. Roll with the rookie and let him take his bumps along the way. He will be better for it.

I have this outlook as well on the position. Some people argue that throwing a QB in behind a sub par line will make him gun-shy if he takes some lumps but IMO, if that is his reaction to that situation then that is just a trait that would have shown up eventually whether he was in that situation or not. One thing I can say about BB is he has gotten his [BLEEP] blasted behind some terrible lines and is not gun-shy in the slightest because that is just one of his better characteristics, just like his poor decision making and throwing motion are bad traits.

I think having a good vet to learn from when a rookie comes into the league is very valuable but I don't think that BB is that vet and I think we need to  cut ties for our sake and his to start fresh for both the team and BB.

Cross Herbert off your wish list he is staying at Oregon.

(12-26-2018, 02:36 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Cross Herbert off your wish list he is staying at Oregon.

That means we will probably be looking at Grier if we are going to pull the trigger in the first round.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

This is not what a starting QB should look like, or a RT

[Image: Jags-Chiefs-Bortles_1538946340354_127714...40_360.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 04:25 PM by old_man.)

Parnell could not stop the pass rush, why we didn't have a TE throw a crack block on Ford will always amaze me.

Marrone has to have better in game adjustments.

Most QBs would have never survived this season behind this Oline and poor WR play.

(12-26-2018, 02:36 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Cross Herbert off your wish list he is staying at Oregon.

Supposedly he isn't that great and has little pocket presence.... no big loss there.

(12-26-2018, 04:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: This is not what a starting QB should look like, or a RT

[Image: Jags-Chiefs-Bortles_1538946340354_127714...40_360.jpg]

That games starts with the LT.  Every pressure Parnell was beat to the QB.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

A win this weekend and this is likely going to happen. A win will likely push us outside of the top 10.

If Haskins declares, it's going to be ridiculously expensive to try and move up into the top 1-3 spots to get him since Herbert is going back to school.

We should be looking at the top Olinemen in this draft

We need the best available player and that mostly likely will be an O or D Line guy.

We will have 2 to 3 lineman by round 5. Two O or two D lineman

We will draft a QB in the latter rounds.

I find it hard to believe that Bortles will even be on the roster after June 1st, though stranger things have happened.  I think Sunday will be his final game in a Jaguars uniform.  My hope is that somehow the team finds a way to trade him off (though very doubtful).  My best guess is that they will look to a "cheap" FA vet to bring in as well as draft a QB.  I also think that whoever they decide to draft, it's not going to be one of the "top prospects".

Bortles will be on a team to start the 2019 season as a backup possibly competing for a starting role somewhere.  He's not as bad as many people (including many media types) believe.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-26-2018, 06:59 PM)old_man Wrote: We need the best available player and that mostly likely will be an O or D Line guy.

We will have 2 to 3 lineman by round 5. Two O or two D lineman

We will draft a QB in the latter rounds.

But the QBs in the latter rounds are garbage unless you strike gold with a Tom Brady.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 07:20 PM by old_man.)

(12-26-2018, 07:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I find it hard to believe that Bortles will even be on the roster after June 1st, though stranger things have happened.  I think Sunday will be his final game in a Jaguars uniform.  My hope is that somehow the team finds a way to trade him off (though very doubtful).  My best guess is that they will look to a "cheap" FA vet to bring in as well as draft a QB.  I also think that whoever they decide to draft, it's not going to be one of the "top prospects".

Bortles will be on a team to start the 2019 season as a backup possibly competing for a starting role somewhere.  He's not as bad as many people (including many media types) believe.

I think it is pretty amusing that everyone (in the media) is now saying "likely to be released".

(12-26-2018, 07:19 PM)old_man Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 07:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I find it hard to believe that Bortles will even be on the roster after June 1st, though stranger things have happened.  I think Sunday will be his final game in a Jaguars uniform.  My hope is that somehow the team finds a way to trade him off (though very doubtful).  My best guess is that they will look to a "cheap" FA vet to bring in as well as draft a QB.  I also think that whoever they decide to draft, it's not going to be one of the "top prospects".

I think it is pretty amusing that everyone (in the media) is now saying "likely to be released".

Yeah. People seem to have the power of the X-Men Xavier's power to read Kahn's, Coughlin, Caldwell mind.

(12-26-2018, 07:30 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 07:19 PM)old_man Wrote: I think it is pretty amusing that everyone (in the media) is now saying "likely to be released".

Yeah. People seem to have the power of the X-Men Xavier's power to read Kahn's, Coughlin, Caldwell mind.
Or you just look at what’s happened and take an educated guess.

The benched Bortles (who’s bad) for Kessler (who is also bad). You don’t bench your supposed franchise QB for Cody Kessler. You think Ravens are bringing back Flacco? Not a chance. 

They will most likely have an all new QB room and to me, that’s the best possible solution. Start fresh with Haskins and another vet with a new OC.

(12-26-2018, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 07:30 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Yeah. People seem to have the power of the X-Men Xavier's power to read Kahn's, Coughlin, Caldwell mind.
Or you just look at what’s happened and take an educated guess.

The benched Bortles (who’s bad) for Kessler (who is also bad). You don’t bench your supposed franchise QB for Cody Kessler. You think Ravens are bringing back Flacco? Not a chance. 

They will most likely have an all new QB room and to me, that’s the best possible solution. Start fresh with Haskins and another vet with a new OC
i think they already have the OC in ben macadoo and im guessing maroney is back and to continue running the run run run punt offense they will keep blake and wait on the 2020 QB class with much better talent

Tell me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the mere fact that we’re starting Bortles this week prove that the organization hasn’t moved on from him? By putting him out there behind an O-Line that’s in shambles against the Texans D, his probability of an injury is significantly increased.  I read that if cut and he signs with another team, we can re-coup up to $6 Million, but that’s not gonna happen if he sustains a major injury.  An injury would also eliminate any chance of a trade, even though that’s a small one.  I’m just saying, seems like like a risky move for a team that’s supposedly hell bent on cutting ties with their QB, with nothing to gain this week.

yea if they were moving on from him he would healthy scratch and tanner lee would be brought up to back up kessler. kessler was not on the injury report. i thnk the front office has made their descion that there is not a franshise QB in this years draft so they are gonna build the offense and then roll with blake untill 2020 when you got fromm hervert tua and all the other franchise QBs that will be avaialable then

(12-26-2018, 11:35 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Tell me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the mere fact that we’re starting Bortles this week prove that the organization hasn’t moved on from him? By putting him out there behind an O-Line that’s in shambles against the Texans D, his probability of an injury is significantly increased.  I read that if cut and he signs with another team, we can re-coup up to $6 Million, but that’s not gonna happen if he sustains a major injury.  An injury would also eliminate any chance of a trade, even though that’s a small one.  I’m just saying, seems like like a risky move for a team that’s supposedly hell bent on cutting ties with their QB, with nothing to gain this week.

Kessler was getting straight murdered behind the most decimated o-line in football last week.

Bortles just makes more sense over an injured back-up that's just going to get knocked out of the game. The guy holds the ball too long in general - nevermind behind this nightmare of an o-line. 

I wouldn't read too much into it. Bortles contract money is what's tying him to the team if he sticks around. Not a week 17 desperation move.

Really they need to fix that O-Line. Not all of Bortles fault or Kesslar's for that matter. As it is the O-Llne that needs to be beefed up.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!