Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(12-28-2018, 11:08 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote: Having Bortles on the roster in 2019 doesn't make any sense both from a practical point of view and from a team chemistry point of view its just odd. He'll be getting starter money to sit on the bench at age 26 having QBed the team for the last 5 years. Just move on, we aren't missing out on anything

Your problem is you're coming from the idea of thinking your opinion is fact. We have no idea about chemistry, but I didn't notice any team effort drop off when Bortles went in last week, and the reality of the situation is that the salary cap does exist. Personally I'd rather lock up some young defensive studs than to waste money on more bad QBs. Bortles isn't good, but if you can only get another bad vet then there's no reason not to just stay with Bortles.
The Jaguars have made the mistake of getting rid of guys for no reason in the past, if Coughlin is fine with him next year then so am I. If he has a different plan I'll trust him, but it's not ridiculous to imagine a good team and locker room guy like Bortles still being here next year.

My opinion that team chemistry wise it would be odd to have Blake still on the roster or starting next year is based on fact. We'll be paying him starter money despite being one of the worst Qbs in football the majority of his time here, I didn't say he'd be a cancer or anything , just that it'd be odd. Especially having been benched for Cody Kessler this year and still with the same HC. He'd be the elephant in the room.   

I don't know why Coughlin should get the benefit of the doubt when he's part of the reason why we're in this mess. It absolutely would be ridiculous that Blake Bortles is still in Jacksonville for his 6th season since being drafted here. Stockholm syndrome is real.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM by old_man.)

What was it like before Coughlin?

Get your panties out of a wad.....

We were able to string together a great season last year.... Damn a lot of Jag fans are cry babies....

I have been a fan since 1997 when I lived in Jacksonville...What mess are we exactly in? We added FAs to try to WIN now...how hard is that to understand?

Regardless if people hate or like Blake he could serve as a bridge or even get better..... Some Jag Fans are nuts...They were trying to run Brunell out of town when he had a good 2 to 3 years left....

(12-28-2018, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I heard that it's Matt Stafford.

Please no..... he is horrible....great stats but nothing else...

Ultimate choker.....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

The Jaguars were ravaged by injuries this year, end of story. This fanbase simply doesn't have any experience with unmet expectations because they haven't really had any in decades, so they can't handle the concept of a lost season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-28-2018, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:12 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I can't think of any FA QBs that are all that exciting as "the answer". Flacco would be the main candidate I guess, assuming he's available. He's on the downside though and maybe you get another 2 years out of him. Carr if he's cut? A step up from Bortles but still not what you'd hope for as a franchise QB. Bridgewater is the other guy to think about, I wanted him in the draft but he's obviously got injury issues and our line is still a big question mark.  

Signing a stop-gap, leaving Bortles as the backup and then draft a new guy in 2020 is sounding better and better.

Having Bortles on the roster in 2019 doesn't make any sense both from a practical point of view and from a team chemistry point of view its just odd. He'll be getting starter money to sit on the bench at age 26 having QBed the team for the last 5 years. Just move on, we aren't missing out on anything

I think a backup making starter's money is a little unpleasant if you're the owner but as fans it really shouldn't bother us, especially if a good chunk of it would just be wasted as dead cap anyway if you drop him. I also think Bortles' athleticism and generally good attitude would make him a decent backup (assuming they would let him be a read-once-and-run style running QB and stop trying to turn him into a pocket passer). You could do worse in a backup.  Do agree it could be a little awkward from a team chemistry standpoint but they'd probably be able to make it work.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM by old_man.)

(12-28-2018, 11:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote: Having Bortles on the roster in 2019 doesn't make any sense both from a practical point of view and from a team chemistry point of view its just odd. He'll be getting starter money to sit on the bench at age 26 having QBed the team for the last 5 years. Just move on, we aren't missing out on anything

I think a backup making starter's money is a little unpleasant if you're the owner but as fans it really shouldn't bother us, especially if a good chunk of it would just be wasted as dead cap anyway if you drop him. I also think Bortles' athleticism and generally good attitude would make him a decent backup (assuming they would let him be a read-once-and-run style running QB and stop trying to turn him into a pocket passer). You could do worse in a backup.  Do agree it could be a little awkward from a team chemistry standpoint but they'd probably be able to make it work.

I agree.

Bortles is only 26,  coming back as a Bridge/Backup is a great option.

His attitude is top notch.... time will tell.

(12-28-2018, 11:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

It should bother fans that the front office botched things that badly that the bust QB from 2014 is still on the team and making starter money in his 6th season. That would bother fans of all 32 teams.     

Blake absolutely will have a long long career as a respected backup/spot starter and all round good guy. Just not with us. Honestly I think for Blake's own sake its probably best if he moved on , even if its a bit awkward given his 2 young kids.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 12:16 PM by old_man.)

Maybe for your sanity......

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM by JackCity.)

(12-28-2018, 11:39 AM)old_man Wrote: What was it like before Coughlin?

We were able to string together a great season last year.... Damn a lot of Jag fans are cry babies....

I have been a fan since 1997 when I lived in Jacksonville...What mess are we exactly in?  We added FAs to try to WIN now...how hard is that to understand?

Regardless if people hate or like Blake he could serve as a bridge or even get better..... Some Jag Fans are nuts...They were trying to run Brunell out of town when he had a good 2 to 3 years left....

(12-28-2018, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I heard that it's Matt Stafford.

Ultimate choker.....

What mess are we in? We have no QB and passed on multiple good QB prospects in order to draft an injury prone power back and play Blake Bortles another year

(12-28-2018, 12:20 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:39 AM)old_man Wrote: What was it like before Coughlin?

I have been a fan since 1997 when I lived in Jacksonville...What mess are we exactly in?  We added FAs to try to WIN now...how hard is that to understand?

Ultimate choker.....

What mess are we in? We have no QB and passed on multiple good QB prospects in order to draft an injury prone power back and play Blake Bortles another year

And make it to the AFCCG no less, complete with no QB and an injury prone power back...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-28-2018, 12:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 12:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: What mess are we in? We have no QB and passed on multiple good QB prospects in order to draft an injury prone power back and play Blake Bortles another year

And make it to the AFCCG no less, complete with no QB and an injury prone power back...

What an amazing achievement that was. I'd imagine it will look even better as the years go by...

(12-28-2018, 11:56 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I think a backup making starter's money is a little unpleasant if you're the owner but as fans it really shouldn't bother us, especially if a good chunk of it would just be wasted as dead cap anyway if you drop him. I also think Bortles' athleticism and generally good attitude would make him a decent backup (assuming they would let him be a read-once-and-run style running QB and stop trying to turn him into a pocket passer). You could do worse in a backup.  Do agree it could be a little awkward from a team chemistry standpoint but they'd probably be able to make it work.

It should bother fans that the front office botched things that badly that the bust QB from 2014 is still on the team and making starter money in his 6th season. That would bother fans of all 32 teams.     

Blake absolutely will have a long long career as a respected backup/spot starter and all round good guy. Just not with us. Honestly I think for Blake's own sake its probably best if he moved on , even if its a bit awkward given his 2 young kids.

I agree on the mis-fire from a draft standpoint but that's not a financial issue per se. It would be better for his career if he moved on but I'm just thinking of what would be better for the Jags at this point.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 01:18 PM by old_man.)

Lets see what those great QBs do over the next 2 to 3 years, then you can talk about it..... Whaaaaa Whaaaa what a cry baby.

Every draft can be second guessed, JackCity maybe you can be hired as a GM....with your great insight....

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 01:28 PM by JackCity.)

(12-28-2018, 01:16 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:56 AM)JackCity Wrote: It should bother fans that the front office botched things that badly that the bust QB from 2014 is still on the team and making starter money in his 6th season. That would bother fans of all 32 teams.     

I agree on the mis-fire from a draft standpoint but that's not a financial issue per se. It would be better for his career if he moved on but I'm just thinking of what would be better for the Jags at this point.

Paying a backup QB starter money is absolutely financial issue too. Especially when you can save money by getting rid of them.

It would be best for the Jags if they aggressively addressed the QB spot instead of sticking with Bortles every year. Just so happens they have made it quite hard on themselves to do that.

(12-28-2018, 01:17 PM)old_man Wrote: Lets see what those great QBs do over the next 2 to 3 years,  then you can talk about it..... Whaaaaa Whaaaa  what a cry baby.

Every draft can be second guessed,  JackCity maybe you can be hired as a GM....with your great insight....

Agreed, lets see what the guy who got MVP in his first season starting will do over the next few years. And that other guy who's been historically good over his first 16 games.    

Is it second guessing if you say it prior to the draft even happening? hmmmmm

(12-28-2018, 01:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 01:16 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I agree on the mis-fire from a draft standpoint but that's not a financial issue per se. It would be better for his career if he moved on but I'm just thinking of what would be better for the Jags at this point.

Paying a backup QB starter money is absolutely financial issue too. Especially when you can save money by getting rid of them.

It would be best for the Jags if they aggressively addressed the QB spot instead of sticking with Bortles every year. Just so happens they have made it quite hard on themselves to do that.

(12-28-2018, 01:17 PM)old_man Wrote: Lets see what those great QBs do over the next 2 to 3 years,  then you can talk about it..... Whaaaaa Whaaaa  what a cry baby.

Every draft can be second guessed,  JackCity maybe you can be hired as a GM....with your great insight....

Agreed, lets see what the guy who got MVP in his first season starting will do over the next few years. And that other guy who's been historically good over his first 16 games.    

The actual dollars spent are only an issue if Khan thinks it's an issue. The real issue is what can be done under the cap. They might get rid of Bortles, or they might decide that he's their most sensible option. Either way it seems to be more personal than about what's actually best for the team for you.

(12-28-2018, 02:02 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 01:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: Paying a backup QB starter money is absolutely financial issue too. Especially when you can save money by getting rid of them.

The actual dollars spent are only an issue if Khan thinks it's an issue. The real issue is what can be done under the cap. They might get rid of Bortles, or they might decide that he's their most sensible option. Either way it seems to be more personal than about what's actually best for the team for you.

No, spending starter money on a backup QB is an issue, one that directly effects our cap and ability to spend in the here and now.  
Deciding to stay with the bust QB would be quite on brand for the front office though so I won't put it past them.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM by SeldomRite.)

(12-28-2018, 02:20 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:02 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The actual dollars spent are only an issue if Khan thinks it's an issue. The real issue is what can be done under the cap. They might get rid of Bortles, or they might decide that he's their most sensible option. Either way it seems to be more personal than about what's actually best for the team for you.

No, spending starter money on a backup QB is an issue, one that directly effects our cap and ability to spend in the here and now.  
Deciding to stay with the bust QB would be quite on brand for the front office though so I won't put it past them.

If the jaguars cut Bortles with a June first designation it doesn't create much cap room and they'll have to bring in someone else as the starter or backup, if it's a starting level guy they'll probably have to cut some guys like Campbell and Dareus or push some money out interfering with contacts coming up for others. Is it possible to do? Sure. Is it necessarily the best course of action? Maybe. I could easily see scenarios where Bortles is still on the roster come next season, whether it's as a guy keeping the seat warm for a guy that was just drafted, or even to just fill the spot until the 2020 draft.

(12-28-2018, 02:40 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: No, spending starter money on a backup QB is an issue, one that directly effects our cap and ability to spend in the here and now.  

If the jaguars cut Bortles with a June first designation it doesn't create much cap room and they'll have to bring in someone else as the starter or backup, if it's a starting level guy they'll probably have to cut some guys like Campbell and Dareus or push some money out interfering with contacts coming up for others. Is it possible to do? Sure. Is it necessarily the best course of action? Maybe. I could easily see scenarios where Bortles is still on the roster come next season, whether it's as a guy keeping the seat warm for a guy that was just drafted, or even to just fill the spot until the 2020 draft.

Pre June around 5 million, post June around 10 million. That's not an insignificant number , especially with Ramsey's new deal looming.   

You don't need to cut Calais for any of that btw. The cap is malleable enough to move things around , especially with guys like Jackson, Parnell and maybe Gipson coming off the books. You can sign guys to deals that places the cap burden on 2020.

(12-28-2018, 02:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:40 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: If the jaguars cut Bortles with a June first designation it doesn't create much cap room and they'll have to bring in someone else as the starter or backup, if it's a starting level guy they'll probably have to cut some guys like Campbell and Dareus or push some money out interfering with contacts coming up for others. Is it possible to do? Sure. Is it necessarily the best course of action? Maybe. I could easily see scenarios where Bortles is still on the roster come next season, whether it's as a guy keeping the seat warm for a guy that was just drafted, or even to just fill the spot until the 2020 draft.

Pre June around 5 million, post June around 10 million. That's not an insignificant number , especially with Ramsey's new deal looming.   

You don't need to cut Calais for any of that btw. The cap is malleable enough to move things around , especially with guys like Jackson, Parnell and maybe Gipson coming off the books. You can sign guys to deals that places the cap burden on 2020.

That's savings before you sign someone to take his place. Case Keenum is a good example. He's only a 15 million cap hit this year, and 21 next, still higher than you'll save by dumping Bortles, and Keenum is essentially another Bortles.

If you're just wanting to see a different face then you're thinking about things wrong. The only viable way for the Jaguars to maintain success is with a rookie, anyone else would be too expensive and likely not work out better than Bortles anyway. So when it really comes down to it the only point in dumping Bortles is you think he's just not viable as a backup, when the fact of the matter is he'd be one of the better ones in the league.

Bortles not cut in June and starts next year....lol

JackCity's Head Explodes...... get a grip dude.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 03:10 PM by JackCity.)

(12-28-2018, 02:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pre June around 5 million, post June around 10 million. That's not an insignificant number , especially with Ramsey's new deal looming.   

That's savings before you sign someone to take his place. Case Keenum is a good example. He's only a 15 million cap hit this year, and 21 next, still higher than you'll save by dumping Bortles, and Keenum is essentially another Bortles.

If you're just wanting to see a different face then you're thinking about things wrong. The only viable way for the Jaguars to maintain success is with a rookie, anyone else would be too expensive and likely not work out better than Bortles anyway. So when it really comes down to it the only point in dumping Bortles is you think he's just not viable as a backup, when the fact of the matter is he'd be one of the better ones in the league.

Yeah that's a given.

No I'm not just wanting to see a different face for the sake of it. I'm wanting to finally address our QB spot in some capacity after punting on it a few years in a row and getting ourselves into this mess.  

You aren't very good at this. I've posted multiple times about how Bortles would be coveted as a backup. Try again , I'm sure you'll find something to stick eventually.

(12-28-2018, 03:02 PM)old_man Wrote: Bortles not cut in June and starts next year....lol

JackCity's Head Explodes...... get a grip dude.

Nah I wouldn't be upset nor would it be a surprise.

You forgot to reply to the comment above btw.