Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will be a top 10 to 15 QB....Let's debate

(02-14-2019, 03:39 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 02:09 PM)Rico Wrote: I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

The excuses are ridiculous.  Citing stats is just moronic.

Use your [BLEEP] eyes.  He just LOOKS bad.  He never looks comfortable.  Everything looks forced.  And I have never seen some of the awful throws he makes made by any other quarterback in the league...period.  If you are saying that he has any chance in hell to be a franchise quarterback you are just making excuses or flat-out blind.  I supported him for as long as I could, but good God man.  Use you eyes.  I don't know what you're watching when I see some of these posts.

I see he looks bad on a team that hasnt done anything to help him and ive seen QBs look just as bad or worse on teams doing everything.  Use your common sense and understand that that makes ZERO SENSE.  I want the team to win just as much as you but blaming the QB for the TEAMS overall failure due to injuries, GM, OC, HC, etc is being blind as you call it.  With this same QB we could've won a ship and yet just because he should be upgraded you ignore the obvious.  Whether he is even worthy of 10 plus years as a starter is not up for debate.  Whether we could win with him or could've won is the problem.  WE COULD HAVE AND CHOSE TO DO NOTHING.  Cool, lets move on but ya'll are just ugh.

You're just being ridiculous or intentionally dense.  It's useless trying to have a discussion with someone who is incapable of seeing that he is mechanically a very bad quarterback...which is the base issue. I don't care who in the hell you put around him.  He is not a good quarterback.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-14-2019, 03:48 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I say he looks bad throwing a football 4 out of 10 times that he throws a [BLEEP] football. 

That's unacceptable. And putting all-pros around him on offense won't make him not be a bad passer. 

Forget the roster - forget the playbook/playcalling. 
 Blake Bortles cannot throw an accurate football pass consistently enough to start in this league.  

/thread
Cool.  I think he could've enough to win a ship.  We agree to disagree, but the team seems ready to move on.  Lets see what the future holds

(02-14-2019, 03:49 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 03:39 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see he looks bad on a team that hasnt done anything to help him and ive seen QBs look just as bad or worse on teams doing everything.  Use your common sense and understand that that makes ZERO SENSE.  I want the team to win just as much as you but blaming the QB for the TEAMS overall failure due to injuries, GM, OC, HC, etc is being blind as you call it.  With this same QB we could've won a ship and yet just because he should be upgraded you ignore the obvious.  Whether he is even worthy of 10 plus years as a starter is not up for debate.  Whether we could win with him or could've won is the problem.  WE COULD HAVE AND CHOSE TO DO NOTHING.  Cool, lets move on but ya'll are just ugh.

You're just being ridiculous or intentionally dense.  It's useless trying to have a discussion with someone who is incapable of seeing that he is mechanically a very bad quarterback...which is the base issue. I don't care who in the hell you put around him.  He is not a good quarterback.

See above post.  We'll just agree to disagree.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-14-2019, 01:39 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 01:16 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Again, No one is saying Blake was airing it out all year and throwing for 300 plus a game with 2 plus tds.  The only point i was making was, he was told basically NOT to throw and when we had to FORCE HIM to throw he did decent.  I've watched countless QBs in pass first offenses put up Blake numbers or slightly better.  Its just odd to me, and i know im in the minority, that QBs who are starting in the league in pass first offenses with star players are only slightly better than a QB who is restricted from passing.  That just makes me SMH.  

Its not like im saying oh, his 21 tds and 13 picks show he's the next brees.  Im saying he did that with forced throws after the run game was destroyed and thats mostly 3 and longs or come from behind passes due to falling behind early.  you blame blake for not airing it out and then say we didnt want him to throw in the same breathe.  WHATEVER. yall dont get it

My man, you made some good points and you're making an argument against people who already have their mind made up about Blake so it's pointless to even debate it. Those same people think Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, and Tyrod Taylor going to be the savior of the franchise which is laughable to me. However,  Blake  has never been good enough to carry a team but the reality is only five to seven7 quarterbacks in NFL has the ability to do that on a yearly basis.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but I can't imagine how you compare Foles with Bridgewater and Taylor.

(02-14-2019, 04:12 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 01:39 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: My man, you made some good points and you're making an argument against people who already have their mind made up about Blake so it's pointless to even debate it. Those same people think Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, and Tyrod Taylor going to be the savior of the franchise which is laughable to me. However,  Blake  has never been good enough to carry a team but the reality is only five to seven7 quarterbacks in NFL has the ability to do that on a yearly basis.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but I can't imagine how you compare Foles with Bridgewater and Taylor.

Foles has proven, that with a good scheme and playmakers, he can win a ship.  A full season as a starter, idk, but Foles isnt Teddy or Tyrod.  He's most definitely done more.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-14-2019, 10:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 06:02 AM)lastonealive Wrote: I think you are still missing the point. You just can't have a qb play bad and be a top 5 offence. 

Yes he's always been inconsistent just like every other middle of the range qb. But in 2017 he kept helping give us early leads including the Pittsburgh and new England playoff games
In 2017, it was the defense giving them early leads. How did Blake do against Pitt in the regular season? Then in the playoff Pitt game, Fournette scores a TD, then the defense holds Pitt to a 3 and out and then the pick off Ben to set up a 1 play Fournette 18 yard TD. Then they get an 11 play, 6 run TD drive (Blake throws for 9 yards in the drive) and then Telvin scores to give the Jags a 28-7 lead. He had a really nice throw to Cole in that game but overall, he wasn't super efficient and it was the run game and defense that gave them the lead.

Blake played extremely average in 2017 and that was apparently his breakout season. I mean the guy threw for 21 TDs and still had 13 interceptions. They took the ball out of his hands because he has always been below average and then they give him an extension.

We were what top 5 in ppg that shows a highly functional offence. Does it really matter if we throw a TD from the 2 yard line or punch it in with fournette?

The defence were good at getting stops and improving field position in 2017 to help get early leads but our offence was very good at punching it in. You are just believing what you want.

Our offence was also good early in 2018 before the injuries. So it's pretty clear what was powering our offence, not the rbs not the wrs not the qb it was the line. Just like every other team that doesnt have a Brady or Brees at qb.

Bortles, Stafford, flacco,dalton, luck it doesn't really matter struggle with poor line play we weren't winning last year unless we had a hall of fame caliber qb.

(02-14-2019, 05:54 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 10:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: In 2017, it was the defense giving them early leads. How did Blake do against Pitt in the regular season? Then in the playoff Pitt game, Fournette scores a TD, then the defense holds Pitt to a 3 and out and then the pick off Ben to set up a 1 play Fournette 18 yard TD. Then they get an 11 play, 6 run TD drive (Blake throws for 9 yards in the drive) and then Telvin scores to give the Jags a 28-7 lead. He had a really nice throw to Cole in that game but overall, he wasn't super efficient and it was the run game and defense that gave them the lead.

Blake played extremely average in 2017 and that was apparently his breakout season. I mean the guy threw for 21 TDs and still had 13 interceptions. They took the ball out of his hands because he has always been below average and then they give him an extension.

We were what top 5 in ppg that shows a highly functional offence. Does it really matter if we throw a TD from the 2 yard line or punch it in with fournette?

The defence were good at getting stops and improving field position in 2017 to help get early leads but our offence was very good at punching it in. You are just believing what you want.

Our offence was also good early in 2018 before the injuries. So it's pretty clear what was powering our offence, not the rbs not the wrs not the qb it was the line. Just like every other team that doesnt have a Brady or Brees at qb.

Bortles, Stafford, flacco,dalton, luck it doesn't really matter struggle with poor line play we weren't winning last year unless we had a hall of fame caliber qb.
Don’t lump Luck in with them.

He was winning 11 games with no run game and a terrible offensive line for about 4 straight years.

Bortles’ jock must smell like ambrosia to some of you.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM by JAGFAN88.)

Ok Ok y'all know i think BB5 is worthy of keeping. But i wanted to ask you a question with a honest assesment and answer from the haters.

Take this scenario and then re-evaluate your position. What if Myles Jack scored, and we went on to the Superbowl. As good as our Def was playing we probably win it. Now everything happens like it did, they extend BB5 and 2018 plays out exactly as it did 5-11.

Do you still want to get rid of BB5 a SB winning QB that helped lead you to your first SB??

We kept that idiot morrone because TC said he was a short whistle from making it to the SB and injuries plagued this season. why do you think TC does not think the same way about the QB he extended?

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 11:12 AM by RicoTx.)

(02-15-2019, 10:48 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Ok Ok y'all know i think BB5 is worthy of keeping. But i wanted to ask you a question with a honest assesment and answer from the haters.

Take this scenario and then re-evaluate your position. What if Myles Jack scored, and we went on to the Superbowl. As good as our Def was playing we probably win it. Now everything happens like it did, they extend BB5 and 2018 plays out exactly as it did 5-11.

Do you still want to get rid of BB5 a SB winning QB that helped lead you to your first SB??

We kept that idiot morrone because TC said he was a short whistle from making it to the SB and injuries plagued this season. why do you think TC does not think the  same way about the QB he extended?

Haters....lol.  More like a few lovers who can't seem to see his many deficiencies.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I wonder if we'll still have these conversations when Bortles is a Dolphin/Skin/Raider (Gruden collects QBs)

lol

(02-15-2019, 10:48 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Ok Ok y'all know i think BB5 is worthy of keeping. But i wanted to ask you a question with a honest assesment and answer from the haters.

We kept that idiot morrone because TC said he was a short whistle from making it to the SB and injuries plagued this season. why do you think TC does not think the  same way about the QB he extended?
QBs as bad as Blake to make and win a SB? Dilfer (Ravens moved on from him the very next season) then Brad Johnson (played 1 more season in Tampa, went 0-4 and they moved on).

In other words, I absolutely would have moved on because I'm always trying to get better. I'm especially trying to always get better at the most important position in sports. Do you think the Jags would have owed Blake something in this scenario? All because he rode the coattails of an absurdly good defense and a run game?

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 05:19 AM by lastonealive.)

(02-14-2019, 08:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 05:54 PM)lastonealive Wrote: We were what top 5 in ppg that shows a highly functional offence. Does it really matter if we throw a TD from the 2 yard line or punch it in with fournette?

Don’t lump Luck in with them.

He was winning 11 games with no run game and a terrible offensive line for about 4 straight years.

That's incorrect. luck was 10-12 from 2015-2017. He improved to 10-6 in 2018 with a good run game a great oline and a good D. He has also thrown 56 picks in his last 54 starts and has thrown more interceptions than tds in the playoffs averaging 1.5 picks a game. He certainly isn't noticeably better than the group listed.

He beat up the afc south when it was garbage his first couple of years and struggled against everyone else.

(02-16-2019, 05:16 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 08:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Don’t lump Luck in with them.

That's incorrect. luck was 10-12 from 2015-2017. He improved to 10-6 in 2018 with a good run game a great oline and a good D. He has also thrown 56 picks in his last 54 starts and has thrown more interceptions than tds in the playoffs averaging 1.5 picks a game. He certainly isn't noticeably better than the group listed.

He beat up the afc south when it was garbage his first couple of years and struggled against everyone else.

You forgot to include the other years, you know, the ones where he wasn't badly injured. 

Your Andrew Luck = Andy Dalton is a very interesting hill to die on. Delusional but interesting nonetheless.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM by Sammy.)

(02-16-2019, 09:05 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 05:16 AM)lastonealive Wrote: That's incorrect. luck was 10-12 from 2015-2017. He improved to 10-6 in 2018 with a good run game a great oline and a good D. He has also thrown 56 picks in his last 54 starts and has thrown more interceptions than tds in the playoffs averaging 1.5 picks a game. He certainly isn't noticeably better than the group listed.

You forgot to include the other years, you know, the ones where he wasn't badly injured. 

Your Andrew Luck = Andy Dalton is a very interesting hill to die on. Delusional but interesting nonetheless.

lastonealive  only uses Injuries to prop up his position when debating Bortles effectiveness.  Luck had his worst season playing with that shoulder injury, while also playing behind a hodgepodge of O-line combinations because of  multiple o-line injuries.  Cam Newton struggled last season as well, so I wouldn't judge his overall career without taking that in to account ... but, i'm not the lastonealive.

I can't disagree with lastonealive about Bortles 2018 season ... It is very valid that Bortles would have played better had the Jags o-line not been decimated by injuries. How much better is the question. I seen an article the other day that Bortles and Flacco were the bottom two Quarterbacks (QB rating) over the course of the last 4 seasons when comparing QB's that had thrown more than 300 passes over that time period. Something along that line, i'm too lazy to look it back up. It's a larger sample size, so a better method of determining their overall abilities.

Okay, I did a quick search .... Quote "Only two quarterbacks in the NFL have thrown 300 or more passes and had a below-average passer rating each of the last four seasons: Blake Bortles and Flacco."

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-flacco-stat...24896.html

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 06:46 PM by lastonealive.)

(02-16-2019, 09:05 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 05:16 AM)lastonealive Wrote: That's incorrect. luck was 10-12 from 2015-2017. He improved to 10-6 in 2018 with a good run game a great oline and a good D. He has also thrown 56 picks in his last 54 starts and has thrown more interceptions than tds in the playoffs averaging 1.5 picks a game. He certainly isn't noticeably better than the group listed.

Andy Dalton has completed 62.3 percent at 7.2 yards an attempt at 88.8 rating.

Luck has completed 60.8 percent at 7.2 yards an attempt at 89.5

The difference is draft and followup hype. They are both awful in the playoffs so have that in common too.

Thought I would add a couple more top 10qbs and not be unfair with a Brady brees or Rogers...

Big Ben 64.4 percent at 7.8 yards an attempt and 94.2 rating
Rivers 64.5 at 7.8 yards an attempt and 95.6 rating

Pretty clear difference.

(02-16-2019, 06:24 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 09:05 AM)JackCity Wrote: You forgot to include the other years, you know, the ones where he wasn't badly injured. 

Andy Dalton has completed 62.3 percent at 7.2 yards an attempt at 88.8 rating.

Luck has completed 60.8 percent at 7.2 yards an attempt at 89.5

The difference is draft and followup hype. They are both awful in the playoffs so have that in common too.

Thought I would add a couple more top 10qbs and not be unfair with a Brady brees or Rogers...

Big Ben 64.4 percent at 7.8 yards an attempt and 94.2 rating
Rivers 64.5 at 7.8 yards an attempt and 95.6 rating

Pretty clear difference.

Ok I'll play. 

Tyrod Taylor passer rating of 89.6 , 61.6% at 7.1 ypa

Blake Bortles passer rating of 80.6, 59.3% at 6.7 ypa 

Tyrod>>> Blake and = to Luck, Dalton, Stafford etc etc 

Yes I agree HOF caliber QBs are better than Luck. What a shocking revelation.

Cool so at best Tyrod is mildly better than Blake based on those stats. Which is slightly embarrassing as you wanted to throw the kitchen sink at Tyrod for years. Though I'm not sure he's played enough games to count and probably never will now.Tyrod is a bit of an outlier as when you look closer he has never scored many points and career high tds is 20 and yardage is woeful.

Rivers hasn't even smelt a championship I find it hard to see him in the hall without way more years play at high level. He's actually a good example of why a qb isnt the cure all its perceived.

(02-16-2019, 09:59 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Cool so at best Tyrod is mildly better than Blake based on those stats. Which is slightly embarrassing as you wanted to throw the kitchen sink at Tyrod for years. Though I'm not sure he's played enough games to count and probably never will now.Tyrod is a bit of an outlier as when you look closer he has never scored many points and career high tds is 20 and yardage is woeful.

Rivers hasn't even smelt a championship I find it hard to see him in the hall without way more years play at high level. He's actually a good example of why a qb isnt the cure all its perceived.
You and JagFan88 gonna die on that Blake hill.

Have fun.

(02-16-2019, 09:59 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Cool so at best Tyrod is mildly better than Blake based on those stats. Which is slightly embarrassing as you wanted to throw the kitchen sink at Tyrod for years. Though I'm not sure he's played enough games to count and probably never will now.Tyrod is a bit of an outlier as when you look closer he has never scored many points and career high tds is 20 and yardage is woeful.

Almost 10 points higher in passer rating isn't mildly better, it's a different tier of better. I'm glad you finally agree he's a better though. Progress! 

Eh yeah I've never once wanted to throw the kitchen sink and give Tyrod a "mega deal". You've said that a few times without actually anything to back it up.

I said HOF caliber for that specific reason too. Big Ben is a lock, Rivers is HOF caliber but unsure if he'll make it.  

Nobody says QB is a cure all, but it is by far the most important and impactful cure you can have bar hiring a really good coach

(02-14-2019, 04:12 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 01:39 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: My man, you made some good points and you're making an argument against people who already have their mind made up about Blake so it's pointless to even debate it. Those same people think Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, and Tyrod Taylor going to be the savior of the franchise which is laughable to me. However,  Blake  has never been good enough to carry a team but the reality is only five to seven7 quarterbacks in NFL has the ability to do that on a yearly basis.

That's a head scratcher for sure.  Too broad a brush to paint that sentiment for sure.

I can understand folks not believing in Foles.  But, if we were to bring Foles in we'd do so expecting a plug and play winner and certain playoff contender.  Anything less would be a disappointment.

Bridgewater and Taylor we would expect plug and play competitors with much less certainly in the W column.

That being said, I wouldn't put my eggs in the "savior of the franchise" basket for any of the three long term.

You pay Foles, you're still likely to take a backup this year or a future starter next year in the draft.

If you go Bridgewater or Taylor, you're drafting a potential future starter this draft and likely next as well.

The draft is where the "savior" will be, and there's no guarantee we'll get the right one.  Free agency or draft, it's never as easy as pressing the "savior" button.  We should know this by now.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."