Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kyler Murray

(03-01-2019, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yes I'm sure Murray is very worried about throwing against air...  

The reality is it doesn't move anyone up or down. Serves very little purpose other than you get to avoid the questions about it

So if throwing doesn't make any difference, what's the point of any of these prospects doing any drills? What's the point of the combine anyways then? Just get rid of every drill, for every position group because it serves very little purpose right? Might as well just make it for medicals and interviews only.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2019, 12:15 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yes I'm sure Murray is very worried about throwing against air...  

The reality is it doesn't move anyone up or down. Serves very little purpose other than you get to avoid the questions about it

So if throwing doesn't make any difference, what's the point of any of these prospects doing any drills? What's the point of the combine anyways then? Just get rid of every drill, for every position group because it serves very little purpose right? Might as well just make it for medicals and interviews only.

The combine is not really for the very top guys. It is for everyone else.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-02-2019, 12:18 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:15 AM)Eric1 Wrote: So if throwing doesn't make any difference, what's the point of any of these prospects doing any drills? What's the point of the combine anyways then? Just get rid of every drill, for every position group because it serves very little purpose right? Might as well just make it for medicals and interviews only.

The combine is not really for the very top guys. It is for everyone else.

There's plenty of other top prospects that are competing at the combine.. Murray is pretty much the only one who isn't (besides those nursing injuries).

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 12:42 AM by JackCity.)

(03-02-2019, 12:15 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Well the easy answer is all of those prospects aren't A) QBs and B) A top 2 QB in the class. If you think an NFL team is moving Murray up or down because he misses a 5 yard slant a couple of times at the combine I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of QBs didn't bother throwing at the combine, 

For the rest of the players and positions different teams use the combine for different things. The Patriots for instance put an emphasis on the 3 cone, the falcons like the jumps. Players who stand out in those drills can jump above players they are tied with on the horizontal board , or they may take another look at their tape, or they might just tick off another box. It's just more information for them and can serve as a risk analysis.

(03-02-2019, 12:33 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:18 AM)Dimson Wrote: The combine is not really for the very top guys. It is for everyone else.

There's plenty of other top prospects that are competing at the combine.. Murray is pretty much the only one who isn't (besides those nursing injuries).

Why do you think plenty of QBs skip the throwing

(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:15 AM)Eric1 Wrote: So if throwing doesn't make any difference, what's the point of any of these prospects doing any drills? What's the point of the combine anyways then? Just get rid of every drill, for every position group because it serves very little purpose right? Might as well just make it for medicals and interviews only.

Well the easy answer is all of those prospects aren't A) QBs and B) A top 2 QB in the class. If you think an NFL team is moving Murray up or down because he misses a 5 yard slant a couple of times at the combine I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of QBs didn't bother throwing at the combine, 

For the rest of the players and positions different teams use the combine for different things. The Patriots for instance put an emphasis on the 3 cone, the falcons like the jumps. Players who stand out in those drills can jump above players they are tied with on the horizontal board , or they may take another look at their tape, or they might just tick off another box. It's just more information for them and can serve as a risk analysis.
That's the entire point... Nobody is saying it's going to drop him if he has a so-so day throwing. He can only benefit by going out there and showing off that arm talent in a high pressured situation. What does he have to lose by slinging it when all eyes are on him?

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 01:07 AM by JackCity.)

(03-02-2019, 12:54 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: Well the easy answer is all of those prospects aren't A) QBs and B) A top 2 QB in the class. If you think an NFL team is moving Murray up or down because he misses a 5 yard slant a couple of times at the combine I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of QBs didn't bother throwing at the combine, 

That's the entire point... Nobody is saying it's going to drop him if he has a so-so day throwing. He can only benefit by going out there and showing off that arm talent in a high pressured situation. What does he have to lose by slinging it when all eyes are on him?

What does he gain? He's gonna be throwing at his pro day regardless. 

NFL teams have already seen him throw thousands of times. It's not a situation like Darnold where he's working on new mechanics and doesn't wanna throw until he's further along with them.

He already knows the range he's gonna be drafted in.

(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:

(03-02-2019, 12:33 AM)Eric1 Wrote: There's plenty of other top prospects that are competing at the combine.. Murray is pretty much the only one who isn't (besides those nursing injuries).

They don't ask the QB's to throw at the combine for completion percentages. They are looking at timing of the throws, leading receivers, and mechanics. While they can definitely excuse some mistakes, this also a process where teams are normally trying to finding anything that can be manufactured into a red flag. Also, ESPN ratings thrive by magnifying any perceived red flag into a scandal that takes over the sports world. After Murray had to deal with the whole height/weight controversy, I'm not at all surprised that he wants to wait to throw when he is more comfortable and able to control his environment. I know everyone expects the world of these players already, but they are 21 years old. Seeing him throw drills and run in straight lines can wait for 2 months.

(03-02-2019, 02:46 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: Well the easy answer is all of those prospects aren't A) QBs and B) A top 2 QB in the class. If you think an NFL team is moving Murray up or down because he misses a 5 yard slant a couple of times at the combine I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of QBs didn't bother throwing at the combine, 

They don't ask the QB's to throw at the combine for completion percentages. They are looking at timing of the throws, leading receivers, and mechanics. While they can definitely excuse some mistakes, this also a process where teams are normally trying to finding anything that can be manufactured into a red flag. Also, ESPN ratings thrive by magnifying any perceived red flag into a scandal that takes over the sports world. After Murray had to deal with the whole height/weight controversy, I'm not at all surprised that he wants to wait to throw when he is more comfortable and able to control his environment. I know everyone expects the world of these players already, but they are 21 years old. Seeing him throw drills and run in straight lines can wait for 2 months.

Of course its not about completion %, that was just an example.  He'll throw for teams in his private workouts + his pro day too. Teams will have PLENTY of analysis of how he throws the ball without the combine. 

Not a big deal at all for me

(03-02-2019, 11:36 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...1771697152

If that happens, what do they do with Rosen?

(03-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 11:36 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...1771697152

sell for a 1st

(03-02-2019, 02:14 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote: If that happens, what do they do with Rosen?

sell for a 1st

I think the best they can get is a 2nd.

It's got to be pretty rough to find someone to give you a first for a guy you don't want and who just had a very poor season. His first season was arguably worse than Bortles' first season, and he was being slammed around the league right from then.

(03-02-2019, 02:45 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's got to be pretty rough to find someone to give you a first for a guy you don't want and who just had a very poor season. His first season was arguably worse than Bortles' first season, and he was being slammed around the league right from then.

I guess it depends on what your expectation for a rookie QB is, Most are below average , especially those in awful situations like Rosen

I'd trade the cards my second, or next years first for rosen. If he were in this draft he would be my top qb.

(03-02-2019, 03:04 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'd trade the cards my second, or next years first for rosen. If he were in this draft he would be my top qb.

If we did this, we'd have to have Foles in my eyes.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

I would not be upset with drafting Metcalf at 7 and trading our 2nd for Rosen.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:19 PM by rpr52121.)

(03-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote:

I don't think the market is there this year. I actually think they just bring both into the season because they are cheap, and Cards are gonna do horrible no matter what this year. They are on a multi-year rebuilding process.

The QB market has leveled off because a lot of teams right now are on the last year(s) for "their guys" to really show something (Mariota, Winston, Prescott, Dalton, etc.). Even with a good draft class in 2019, they may have more leverage for a team that doesn't have the high pick or draft pieces to trade for Rosen. Heck, they could even have Rosen start a few a games to begin the season, so Murray doesn't have to begin the season as a starter.

(03-02-2019, 08:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote: If that happens, what do they do with Rosen?

I don't think the market is there this year. I actually think they just bring both into the season because they are cheap, and Cards are gonna do horrible no matter what this year. They are on a multi-year rebuilding process.

The QB market has leveled off because a lot of teams right now are on the last year(s) for "their guys" to really show something (Mariota, Winston, Prescott, Dalton, etc.). Even with a good draft class in 2019, they may have more leverage for a team that doesn't have the high pick or draft pieces to trade for Rosen. Heck, they could even have Rosen start a few a games to begin the season, so Murray doesn't have to begin the season as a starter.

That'd be a disaster scenario for the Cardinals. Zero chance Rosen takes that in his stride and it's just a really awkward move for the franchise to try pull off. As soon as Rosen becomes the backup QB his value is gonna plummet. Best chance is to trade right at the draft.

There's easily a QB market out there. Jags, Washington, Dolphins, Giants all need a QB. Broncos are still looking for their QB of the future, then you have all the teams with QBs about to retire soon like the pats, saints , chargers who would love to have Rosen I'm sure.

(03-02-2019, 05:40 PM)Upper Wrote: I would not be upset with drafting Metcalf at 7 and trading our 2nd for Rosen.

Metcalf would have to be a possibility depending on how his medical and interviews turn out. As far as trading for Rosen (for a 2nd rounder), I'd be in favor of this. He has much more upside than Foles. He already has a year under his belt so he wouldn't have the learning curve that Haskins/Murray will have to encounter. The Jaguars would save a lot of money by not signing Foles. I could see the Jags either having Parnell re-do his contract like Dareus or go after Daryl Williams in free agency. Their draft would then look like this:

Rd. 1  Metcalf

Rd. 2  Trade for Rosen

Rd. 3  Erik McCoy (start at guard or center)

Rd. 3  Dawson Knox 

Rd. 4  Jarrett Stidham

Rd. 6  Foster Moreau (blocking tight end)

Rd. 7  BPA at running back or defense

I seriously don't see this happening for several reasons. Foles will be hard to pass on since he gives the Jaguars the best chance to win now. Metcalf, despite his freakish combine numbers, is a risky pick due to his injury history. Hockenson or Taylor would be safer picks and also address positions of need. Regardless of which way they decide to go, I do believe they are in a great position going into free agency and the draft.