Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TJ Hockenson

I just read this from the Kiper article on the jaguars.com front page...

Quote:*Kiper discussed Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson, who he projected No. 8 overall to the Detroit Lions. “He’s a blocker,” Kiper said. “He will block in line and help the running game. He’s a complete tight end. He’s not a guy you flex out. He’s not just a great athlete who will catch the ball. He’ll do that because he is a gifted athlete. But he’ll also block. He’s consistent. He’s a quarterback’s best friend. That’s what he was at Iowa this year. He’s kind of a throwback, but he has the skills to fit in very well with today’s NFL. I think he’s one of those guys who’s going to skyrocket. You can’t just look at him as a one-dimensional player. He’s a multidimensional tight end. He can do everything you want.”

This sounds like a guy the Jaguars can use.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love Hockenson, and I wouldn't be horrified if they picked him at 7, but I wouldn't be delighted either. Just too early for a TE. He definitely won't be there in round 2.

If we did sign Foles and then trade down in the first, TJ could definitely be a legitimate target.

Hockenson is my favorite player in the draft but based on Coughlin and Caldwell’s draft history with TEs, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

It’s also a really deep TE class

(02-20-2019, 01:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s also a really deep TE class

This....if you dont go QB go OL.

I get that scouts normally look for different things, but I find it weird that scouts/draftneks have disagreements on who is the better TE prospect from same school (Fant vs TJ). Makes me a bit nervous if Jags target either of them.

Haskins/Murray > Metcalf/Hockenson > anyone else.

(02-20-2019, 04:27 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I get that scouts normally look for different things, but I find it weird that scouts/draftneks have disagreements on who is the better TE prospect from same school (Fant vs TJ). Makes me a bit nervous if Jags target either of them.

Fant was the guy before the season started but now that the season is over, what scout/draftneks have Fant over Hockenson?

(02-20-2019, 07:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 04:27 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I get that scouts normally look for different things, but I find it weird that scouts/draftneks have disagreements on who is the better TE prospect from same school (Fant vs TJ). Makes me a bit nervous if Jags target either of them.

Fant was the guy before the season started but now that the season is over, what scout/draftneks have Fant over Hockenson?

Hmm, maybe it is writers peddling old info then.

(02-20-2019, 09:44 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I love Hockenson, and I wouldn't be horrified if they picked him at 7, but I wouldn't be delighted either. Just too early for a TE. He definitely won't be there in round 2.

If we did sign Foles and then trade down in the first, TJ could definitely be a legitimate target.

From the hype I've been reading about him in NFL Facebook groups, it's sounding like he won't be there all that much beyond the #7 pick. He might be gone before they pick should they trade down. 
'02

(02-22-2019, 02:33 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 09:44 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I love Hockenson, and I wouldn't be horrified if they picked him at 7, but I wouldn't be delighted either. Just too early for a TE. He definitely won't be there in round 2.

From the hype I've been reading about him in NFL Facebook groups, it's sounding like he won't be there all that much beyond the #7 pick. He might be gone before they pick should they trade down. 

Call me horribly conservative or old-fashioned, but I don't see any TE being worth a pick that high.  Who's been picked there in the past, that merited that value? Vernon Davis, maybe, but I've never seen a game where he carried the team to victory.

(02-22-2019, 09:43 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 02:33 AM)Jags02 Wrote: From the hype I've been reading about him in NFL Facebook groups, it's sounding like he won't be there all that much beyond the #7 pick. He might be gone before they pick should they trade down. 

Call me horribly conservative or old-fashioned, but I don't see any TE being worth a pick that high.  Who's been picked there in the past, that merited that value? Vernon Davis, maybe, but I've never seen a game where he carried the team to victory.

From the 49ers side of things they had Vernon Davis from age 22 through age 31 and was a good productive part of the offense for most them. A way better return for the team than many of the players picked after, even if the actual positional value was less. 

So there's something to be said for taking a sure fire thing in the first. 

That said I'm in two minds about it. Happy to land a sure fire stud at a position of need but it's still a TE and we have other needs to + other elite prospect waiting at #7.  You'd better hope you aren't missing on a stud at more valuable position because of him

(02-22-2019, 11:28 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 09:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: Call me horribly conservative or old-fashioned, but I don't see any TE being worth a pick that high.  Who's been picked there in the past, that merited that value? Vernon Davis, maybe, but I've never seen a game where he carried the team to victory.

From the 49ers side of things they had Vernon Davis from age 22 through age 31 and was a good productive part of the offense for most them. A way better return for the team than many of the players picked after, even if the actual positional value was less. 

So there's something to be said for taking a sure fire thing in the first. 

That said I'm in two minds about it. Happy to land a sure fire stud at a position of need but it's still a TE and we have other needs to + other elite prospect waiting at #7.  You'd better hope you aren't missing on a stud at more valuable position because of him
TE is such an odd position to figure out for the draft. Is Hockenson as good as OJ Howard? Because this TE class is so deep, should we really take one at 7? If they take Foles and Haskins is still on the board, do you still take Hockenson because he would help Foles right away?

If we sign Nick Foles, we will definitely need to support him, and we are in dire need of a TE, so why not take the best TE? I read a lot of you guys saying things like, we can get him later in the first round, or no TE is worth the 7th pick in the draft, but I say, why screw around? If we sign Foles, and then draft Hockenson, that's a huge upgrade a two important positions.

Do it!

(02-22-2019, 12:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If we sign Nick Foles, we will definitely need to support him, and we are in dire need of a TE, so why not take the best TE?   I read a lot of you guys saying things like, we can get him later in the first round, or no TE is worth the 7th pick in the draft, but I say, why screw around?    If we sign Foles, and then draft Hockenson, that's a huge upgrade a two important positions.  

Do it!
I'm not 100% opposed to Hockenson if they sign Foles. I think it all depends on who is still available at #7.

(02-22-2019, 01:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 12:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If we sign Nick Foles, we will definitely need to support him, and we are in dire need of a TE, so why not take the best TE?   I read a lot of you guys saying things like, we can get him later in the first round, or no TE is worth the 7th pick in the draft, but I say, why screw around?    If we sign Foles, and then draft Hockenson, that's a huge upgrade a two important positions.  

Do it!
I'm not 100% opposed to Hockenson if they sign Foles. I think it all depends on who is still available at #7.

Absolutely, I think there are gonna be better options at 7. For me it's QBs first and foremost, if they are gone then maybe one of the blue-chip prospects falls to us (unlikely), then the offensive tackles, then Hock. Basically there would always be someone there at 7 I would draft ahead of him, but only just. Here's my jags needs specific top 10, which will undoubtedly change...

1. Haskins
2. Murray
3. Bosa
4. Q. Williams
5. Allen
6.Taylor
7. J. Williams
8. Hockenson
9. Ford
10. Metcalf

If they get Foles, my list would be:

1. Bosa
2. Allen
3. Q. Williams
4. J. Williams
5. Hockenson

If no Foles:

1. Haskins
2. Bosa
3. Allen
4.Q. Williams
5. Lock

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2019, 10:19 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think he is right there as a prospect with Howard, Goeder, and Eifert. I actually like Hockenson a little more than Goedert and Goedert was a guy I liked more than most and was really high on. Hockenson is a better reciever than Howard is and just as good as a blocker imo. My 2 favorite TE prospects were Winslow and Shockey who I felt were top 5 talents, I liked Davis coming out a lot as well. Ideally you would like to trade back a few spots and take Hockenson but I wouldnt be mad if they took him at 7. I think Hockenson can be the next Todd Heap

Hockenson is a guy I have liked for a while but I found some more clips of his elite blocking ability. As far as blocking goes, he is at the very least on par with Howard and Kittle in that dept. and maybe even better when you watch some of his rediculous blocks. A better route runner and pass catcher coming out imo too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEl7Md-qn08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSLHLMSOkE

Hockenson is the safest pick on offense in the draft. Metcalf may have the highest ceiling, but he carries much more risk due to his injury history. Unless they love one of the offensive tackles like Williams, Hockenson would be a great choice. As was already mentioned, Foles likes throwing to his tight ends and he would immediately utilize Hockenson as a safety net. His blocking skills would be very useful in helping Fournette rebound next season. Add in someone like Lindstrom (another safe pick) in round 2 and the running game should become enough of a threat to maximize Foles' chance of success.