Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's gotta be Murray

Clearly, the main objective in choosing draft picks is making the team better. But also in consideration is filling seats. 

If the Jags draft Murray, it will create more of a buzz than any draft choice in Jag history.

The guy is lightning, freakish fast with a huge arm. Yes, he is small. But if the Jags take him, it will create more buzz than
any Jag pick that comes to mind. It will also put Jags higher in media coverage for a while. 

Plus, what do they have to lose? What QB is clearly a franchise QB this draft class? No one. Haskins is not. He has question marks as well. 

I believe the Jags will regret not taking Murray, big time. He might be more exciting than Mike Vick was, maybe with a higher upside. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eEyZgAiLjE

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm warming up to the idea of taking him, especially if reports are true that he's now up to 206lb. We've tried the prototypical QB and it hasn't worked for us. Haskins reminds me of Byron Leftwich and I'd prefer not to go through all that again. At the end of the day, the Jaguars will do their homework and get whoever is best for the team. But drafting Kyler Murray will definitely add a buzz to the Jaguars that they haven't had. Since there isn't a can't miss QB in this years draft, might as well just go with the one with the highest possible ceiling.

See, I don't agree (for many reasons). For one, Murray's hand size may have worked well for the College size Football, but the NFL Football (Known as The Duke) is about a whole inch larger in circumference. The smaller the hand, the likely less ability to spin it at an the NFL level. We shall see how he does at the Combine, but I would be a hard pass if i'm the Jaguars brass.

(02-26-2019, 07:55 PM)High Octane Wrote: I'm warming up to the idea of taking him, especially if reports are true that he's now up to 206lb. We've tried the prototypical QB and it hasn't worked for us. Haskins reminds me of Byron Leftwich and I'd prefer not to go through all that again. At the end of the day, the Jaguars will do their homework and get whoever is best for the team. But drafting Kyler Murray will definitely add a buzz to the Jaguars that they haven't had.  Since there isn't a can't miss QB in this years draft, might as well just go with the one with the highest possible ceiling.

Haskins is nothing like Leftwich

(02-26-2019, 07:55 PM)High Octane Wrote: I'm warming up to the idea of taking him, especially if reports are true that he's now up to 206lb. We've tried the prototypical QB and it hasn't worked for us. Haskins reminds me of Byron Leftwich and I'd prefer not to go through all that again. At the end of the day, the Jaguars will do their homework and get whoever is best for the team. But drafting Kyler Murray will definitely add a buzz to the Jaguars that they haven't had.  Since there isn't a can't miss QB in this years draft, might as well just go with the one with the highest possible ceiling.

Agreed on the Haskins=Leftwich.  Would much rather Murray over Haskins/Leftwich

No. He's one ACL tear away from being completely useless. Let some other clown waste a first-round pick on a gadget player. Get Nick Foles in here to lead a veteran team that's going to be on the downswing by the time a rookie is at full steam, then spend the seventh pick on getting him someone who can run, catch and/or block.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2019, 08:52 PM by JackCity.)

What was the reasons for him being similar again? They both had a "quick release" and sometimes underthrew on deep balls?

(02-26-2019, 08:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: No. He's one ACL tear away from being completely useless. Let some other clown waste a first-round pick on a gadget player. Get Nick Foles in here to lead a veteran team that's going to be on the downswing by the time a rookie is at full steam, then spend the seventh pick on getting him someone who can run, catch and/or block.

Nah an ACL tear wouldn't do that. Maybe in the 1980s but not now.

Lol, Haskins is leftwhich. Murray has a huge arm. Don't quit your 9 to 5 job to be a NFL scout.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2019, 11:05 PM by knarnn.)

(02-26-2019, 07:17 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Clearly, the main objective in choosing draft picks is making the team better. But also in consideration is filling seats. 

If the Jags draft Murray, it will create more of a buzz than any draft choice in Jag history.

The guy is lightning, freakish fast with a huge arm. Yes, he is small. But if the Jags take him, it will create more buzz than
any Jag pick that comes to mind. It will also put Jags higher in media coverage for a while. 

Plus, what do they have to lose? What QB is clearly a franchise QB this draft class? No one. Haskins is not. He has question marks as well. 

I believe the Jags will regret not taking Murray, big time. He might be more exciting than Mike Vick was, maybe with a higher upside. 

I like Murray but the Jags aren’t going to draft him for the reasons you listed. NFL front offices don’t get paid to put fans in the seats and create media buzz. Their job is to draft the best players they can to hopefully win a SB. If that happens to be Kyler, the so be it. But leave the buzz to the marketing team. Normally such a call would come from a team’s owner but Khan is a much of a hands off owner as you can get. To the point where he hired TC to handle the day to day football operations. Let’s snip this in the bud right here so this doesn’t reach the Tim Tebow levels of absurdity.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

If we were not led by the oldest and stodgiest FO in the league I would let myself get excited about a potential Murray to Jags fit. Unfortunately, we are though.

(02-26-2019, 07:17 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Clearly, the main objective in choosing draft picks is making the team better. But also in consideration is filling seats. 

If the Jags draft Murray, they may lose me as a fan. We cannot afford to make such a stupid mistake like drafting the smallest QB in NFL history. That would be the dumbest move in franchise history. We'll be the laughing stock of the league, (worse than we already are.) I've been a fan of this team since the inception and I even went to the first Jags game ever in Canton against the Panthers. I've been patient and sat through a lot of bad decisions by this team, but taking Murray would probably be a decision that would break my confidence for good. 

I don't care how fast he is, he isn't a RB or a receiver, so it doesn't matter. A QB's main job is to throw the football, period. What good is "buzz" gonna do if the team ends up stinking? I wanna create a complete team and eventually win a Superbowl, not create "buzz."

What do we have to lose? Let's see. We have a defense full of veteran stars with big contracts and young stars who are gonna want big contracts. Our window of opportunity is shrinking as we inch closer and closer to the salary cap. We need to find our franchise QB and fast. Murray would set this team back about 5 years and that window would probably be slammed shut. 

Haskins is clearly better than any other QB in this class. He has size, accuracy, a good arm and most importantly, his football I.Q. may be higher than any QB since Andrew Luck. IMO, Murray is completely undraftable. We don't need a tiny, running QB. We need a smart QB who makes quick decisions and has the size and durability to dismantle defenses through the air.

(02-27-2019, 12:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

If the Jags draft Murray, they may lose me as a fan. We cannot afford to make such a stupid mistake like drafting the smallest QB in NFL history. That would be the dumbest move in franchise history. We'll be the laughing stock of the league, (worse than we already are.) I've been a fan of this team since the inception and I even went to the first Jags game ever in Canton against the Panthers. I've been patient and sat through a lot of bad decisions by this team, but taking Murray would probably be a decision that would break my confidence for good. 

I don't care how fast he is, he isn't a RB or a receiver, so it doesn't matter. A QB's main job is to throw the football, period. What good is "buzz" gonna do if the team ends up stinking? I wanna create a complete team and eventually win a Superbowl, not create "buzz."

What do we have to lose? Let's see. We have a defense full of veteran stars with big contracts and young stars who are gonna want big contracts. Our window of opportunity is shrinking as we inch closer and closer to the salary cap. We need to find our franchise QB and fast. Murray would set this team back about 5 years and that window would probably be slammed shut. 

Haskins is clearly better than any other QB in this class. He has size, accuracy, a good arm and most importantly, his football I.Q. may be higher than any QB since Andrew Luck. IMO, Murray is completely undraftable. We don't need a tiny, running QB. We need a smart QB who makes quick decisions and has the size and durability to dismantle defenses through the air.

You need to relax

(02-27-2019, 12:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Yea, you've tried that " He has size, accuracy, a good arm" thing. Murray might be the guy, prototypical or not.

(02-27-2019, 12:56 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 12:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If the Jags draft Murray, they may lose me as a fan. We cannot afford to make such a stupid mistake like drafting the smallest QB in NFL history. That would be the dumbest move in franchise history. We'll be the laughing stock of the league, (worse than we already are.) I've been a fan of this team since the inception and I even went to the first Jags game ever in Canton against the Panthers. I've been patient and sat through a lot of bad decisions by this team, but taking Murray would probably be a decision that would break my confidence for good. 

You need to relax
Haha. Good luck with that.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Why was this post moved?

I disagree with your premise. You don't draft any player just because they have the most buzz or media coverage. Of any sport, the NFL makes stars of winners, consistent long-term winners. You draft the QB who you think can be guy to help this team accomplish that goal, and who can hopefully fill that position for the long term.

Also, I would point out that:
1. "Freakishly fast" tends to be overrated for a QB, because they aren't use to outrunning defensive players only a touch slower them every play, and because that speed gets sapped by year 3-4.
2. The NFL retread pile is littered with guys who had big arms. Having a cannon does not mean that much. A number of recent HOF-worthy QB's don't have cannon arms.

All-aboard the Murray train!

But don't draft him because he'll create buzz, draft him cos he's damn good at playing QB.

To be fair, I still have Haskins ahead of him, I think they are both great prospects.

Telling on yourselves with the Haskins-Leftwich comparison smh...
No Fun

Please don't take him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think we should just eat the bullet for now and ride it out with Bortles, Kessler and another veteran free agent once training camp gets here for the 2019 campaign. I know that's a huge thing to ask of the season ticket holders. And there's a lot of pressure from this front office to make up for last season. But it's hard to be sold on any of this year's QB prospects. Especially the early ones.

Would rather see them recommit to a strong running game and a bolstering of the offensive line some more this off season. Spend this year's draft class on adding some more competition at WR, RB and TE. And then possibly look to adding some key replacement players on defense for 2020 and beyond.

If we slip up again offensively we could be looking at a better, more polished QB prospect in next year's draft. I would honestly prefer Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason (If he can show out big time for the Huskies this season coming up) or Justin Herbert out of Oregon if he improves his accuracy. But at this point. I think they should ride it out with Bortles, Kessler and maybe a veteran free agent pick-up like Teddy Bridgewater or Tyrod Taylor who are pretty protective of the football. Or maybe roll the dice on a gunslinger like Ryan Fitzpatrick.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."