Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Tesla model 3 reaches its final form.

So now that the $35k model three is available and there's still $3750 tax credit has it convinced anyone to buy one that wouldn't have bought it when it was still $10000 more expensive?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not really. If and when I need to buy a car, EV's would definitely be something I'd check out but the Model 3 would not be on my list of possible cars to buy. Aside from the reports of build quality issues and the quite expensive repairs, ultimately I find it to be an ugly and boring car. I don't like the exterior styling at all, the front end especially is a cavalcade of dullness. And I have a strong dislike for large screens in the interior of cars so you can figure out what I think of the interior of the Model 3.

On top of all that, major car brands are now beginning to make affordable EV's that rival the Model 3 in price and performance. The Kia Soul EV is especially nice IMO, though is a bit more expensive than the Model 3 I believe.

The US is too ill-equipped with regard to charging portals for me to get excited about EVs right now. Perhaps I'll revisit the concept when the VW Bus comes back out in a few years.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM by SeldomRite.)

(03-01-2019, 11:14 AM)DragonFury Wrote: Not really. If and when I need to buy a car, EV's would definitely be something I'd check out but the Model 3 would not be on my list of possible cars to buy. Aside from the reports of build quality issues and the quite expensive repairs, ultimately I find it to be an ugly and boring car. I don't like the exterior styling at all, the front end especially is a cavalcade of dullness. And I have a strong dislike for large screens in the interior of cars so you can figure out what I think of the interior of the Model 3.

On top of all that, major car brands are now beginning to make affordable EV's that rival the Model 3 in price and performance. The Kia Soul EV is especially nice IMO, though is a bit more expensive than the Model 3 I believe.

Right now the only other nationally available affordable EV with a similar range is the Chevy bolt. The model three is definitely the more advanced car of the two, but the bolt isn't bad for the price. Personally I like the model three's looks, too.

The good news is there will supposedly be at least a few more cars in the same class within the next few years, and a higher range leaf is coming soon (though it has its own issues) but for now the model three is only really competing with itself. If you've never driven one I'd recommend trying it.

(03-01-2019, 12:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The US is too ill-equipped with regard to charging portals for me to get excited about EVs right now.  Perhaps I'll revisit the concept when the VW Bus comes back out in a few years.

I can understand someone that lives in an apartment writing about chargers. Personally I think one of the best parts of going to an electric car is cutting out the weekly stop at the gas station. Just plug it in every night and it's always topped off.

My car has a pull rope to start it. Cold mornings are a real workout.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!