Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

(03-11-2019, 05:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What?

It was reported a week and a half ago that the Jags and Foles were all but a done deal.

They weren't allowed to speak with each other at that time, yet multiple reports came out saying that they were basically a guarantee.

The overtures were obvious. No rules were broken.

(03-11-2019, 05:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I wonder what Kaepernick would have cost. Couldn't have been this much. Him and Foles are practically the same guy.

What?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2019, 05:25 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: They did not overpay him as some of you think. The problem will be when they realease blake. Blake was due 21 mill this year so they are only paying 1 mill more then what was on the books. but once blake is realeased its 16 or 11 june 1st added to the cap. so tech foles is being paid 38mill or 33mill this year. Then you have to figure in a Back up either rookiee or FA somwhere in the 2-5 mil range. That makes the QB room have alot of money tied into it. That is why it seems like a bad Contract. And i think it was i think they could have gotten him cheaper.

Sorry, that makes no sense at all.   Foles is not being paid Blake's salary in addition to his new contract.   Maybe you could re-word that or something, but the way you explained it makes no sense.

(03-11-2019, 05:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: The same QB who has played one and a half good seasons of football at 30 years old? I'd expect them to recognize they're bidding vs themselves and act accordingly. A smart franchise wouldn't even be entertaining Foles at that price when someone like Haskins is within striking distance in the draft.

The eagles were never in a million years keeping him at 20 million, picking up the option was just a formality on off the chance he'd stay opted in and they could trade him. They're the ones who put the opt out in there.

A 30 year old veteran QB is not the same as an unproven college QB.

The Jaguars got a good deal.  Blake Bortles should be a free agent within the next day or so.

No duh. A madly inconsistent 30 year QB with one and half good seasons to his name has less of a chance of eventually being a top 10 QB though, thats for sure.

(03-11-2019, 05:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It was reported a week and a half ago that the Jags and Foles were all but a done deal.

They weren't allowed to speak with each other at that time, yet multiple reports came out saying that they were basically a guarantee.

The overtures were obvious. No rules were broken.

(03-11-2019, 05:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I wonder what Kaepernick would have cost. Couldn't have been this much. Him and Foles are practically the same guy.

What?

It was a short post, which part don't you understand?

Ya know its hard to accept this....At least all the fans of other teams at the job have something to bother me about now. UGHHH. The laughing stock of FA so far overpaying for a QB. At least that's what a diehard Eagles fan told me for us being stupid...Shame since he actually likes Foles but no THAT MUCH.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Jesus Christ.  No way.  Kaepernick?   You cannot be serious.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:34 PM by SeldomRite.)

(03-11-2019, 05:31 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: A 30 year old veteran QB is not the same as an unproven college QB.

The Jaguars got a good deal.  Blake Bortles should be a free agent within the next day or so.

No duh. A madly inconsistent 30 year QB with one and half good seasons to his name has less of a chance of eventually being a top 10 QB though, thats for sure.

It's incredible how many people just don't get it. Foles is a great QB, if it's 2017 and you're the eagles. The idea that he going to have success with the Jaguars is by no means guaranteed.

(03-11-2019, 05:32 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Jesus Christ.  No way.  Kaepernick?   You cannot be serious.

From a statistical and accomplishment standpoint they're practically the same guy. One just has become a right wing pariah is all.

(03-11-2019, 05:31 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The overtures were obvious. No rules were broken.

What?

It was a short post, which part don't you understand?

Wild guess here, but probably the part where you said Foles and Kaepernick are similar players. 

They have different strengths and weaknesses  - and one of them was just in the playoffs while the other hasn't played a down of football in over three years.

(03-11-2019, 05:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: From a statistical and accomplishment standpoint they're practically the same guy. One just has become a right wing pariah is all.

Leave the political stuff in the appropriate forum. 

Thank you.

Okay I have processed it more now. Still bad but nothing can be done now.

Most important thing is to get the offensive scheme right and hopefully had some impact playmakers

(03-11-2019, 05:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:31 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It was a short post, which part don't you understand?

Wild guess here, but probably the part where you said Foles and Kaepernick are similar players. 

They have different strengths and weaknesses  - and one of them was just in the playoffs while the other hasn't played a down of football in over three years.

(03-11-2019, 05:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's incredible how many people just don't get it. Foles is a great QB, if it's 2017 and you're the eagles. The idea that he going to have success with the Jaguars is by no means guaranteed.

From a statistical and accomplishment standpoint they're practically the same guy. One just has become a right wing pariah is all.

Leave the political stuff in the appropriate forum. 

Thank you.

Just noting the only significant difference.

Both are career 88 passer rating guys,  Kaepernick was  probowler and almost won a Superbowl. He also was terrible when not surrounded by overwhelming talent. I see a strong parallel in Foles. Jaguars are paying for the peak but likely to get the trough instead.

(03-11-2019, 05:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Okay I have processed it more now. Still bad but nothing can be done now.

Most important thing is to get the offensive scheme right and hopefully had some impact playmakers

And we have a stable consistent foundation to build upon. This is a good thing.

We’re better now than we were before. And at the most important position. Good move. 4 yrs 88 mil. And 0 out of my pocket. Even better.

(03-11-2019, 05:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Okay I have processed it more now. Still bad but nothing can be done now.

And we have a stable consistent foundation to build upon. This is a good thing.

The defense sure. The rest not so much, especially Foles

Hopefully Defilippo is allowed to implement his scheme which should speed Foles along.

Hopefully Cam/Norwell/Linder can come back healthy and make the left side of the OL solid...can a Taylor/Lindstrom in the 1st/2nd round make the OL dominant?

So, AP... is there truth to that? Wouldn’t mind at vet min if there room left. Didn’t he play for vet min last year?

I'm mildly o.k. with this. I'm still super bummed that this means we have no shot at Haskins, (who I believe would be a game changer.) As Foles contract goes, it's actually better than I was expecting. I don't believe Foles is gonna make that much of a difference for us, when it comes to our seasonal record though. Between the Bortles' extension and Foles' new deal, it cost us a solid interior pass rusher and a very good Free Safety. That's gonna hurt worse than some people think. On the other hand, Foles played his best with Zach Ertz, a premier Tight End in Philly. That tells me, that we are gonna get a young, pass catching TE who can block. I'd be absolutely shocked if T.J. Hockenson was not our first pick in the draft. All in all, I believe with Foles, we have a chance to be an 8-8 or 9-7 team in 2019.

Hey guys.

Blake is gone. Foles throws spirals. It’s gonna be fun!

(03-11-2019, 05:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And we have a stable consistent foundation to build upon. This is a good thing.

The defense sure. The rest not so much, especially Foles

We get Lee/Cam back who were basically lost before the season started.  If Norwell is injury free that will be a plus as he played the majority of the season hurt.

Those 3 are like getting a two 2nd round picks and a premier FA.

Cam/Norwell/Linder can make a solid left side of the OL...hopefully Fournette can become what we thought he would be...Chark needs to grow a lot this offseason.

While we do have a lot of holes on O I don't think its as dire as some make it out to be...Caldwell/Coughlin will need to nail the draft with a RT/RG/TE/TE however.

I'm just glad we didnt make the mistake and pick Haskins over Foles

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Are you kidding? They are nothing a like. Kaepernick told the AAF he wouldn't join them for less than $20 million a year and he hasn't even played for like 2 years. Talk about unrealistic!

(03-11-2019, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm just glad we didnt make the mistake and pick Haskins over Foles

Yeah, because we might have been able to build a dynasty if we got Haskins. Nobody wants that!

[Image: giphy.gif]