Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

Foles you say? Meh I say.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm good with the signing (wish it was below 20 per year though). It allows us to draft more to providing offensive weapons. Hopefully we can remove our stigma of QB production. Maybe we should go get Tate?
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-11-2019, 05:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I wonder what Kaepernick would have cost. Couldn't have been this much. Him and Foles are practically the same guy.

Are you kidding? They are nothing a like. Kaepernick told the AAF he wouldn't join them for less than $20 million a year and he hasn't even played for like 2 years. Talk about unrealistic!

That's the aaf, who knows what the jaguars could have signed him for over the last few years. My guess is he would have played in the NFL for less than 50 million guaranteed. If not then at least the team would have checked. They're paying Foles for his 2017 postseason with the eagles.

So what's Foles nickname for us going to be?
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

I'm stunned at how many people believed we would actually be able to get away with paying Foles less than we just gave the guy we're dumping for him. Foles was always going to get more than Blake got. I'm just happy he has to hit incentives to get to the real franchise QB money.

(03-11-2019, 06:38 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: I'm stunned at how many people believed we would actually be able to get away with paying Foles less than we just gave the guy we're dumping for him. Foles was always going to get more than Blake got. I'm just happy he has to hit incentives to get to the real franchise QB money.

Assuming you could pay Foles 18mil per year instead of 22 has nothing to do with Bortles contract and everything to do with Foles' market.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 06:53 PM by Jags.)

(03-11-2019, 06:37 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: So what's Foles nickname for us going to be?

Hopefully, SB MVP.

Or we can call him dynamite.

(03-11-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:38 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: I'm stunned at how many people believed we would actually be able to get away with paying Foles less than we just gave the guy we're dumping for him. Foles was always going to get more than Blake got. I'm just happy he has to hit incentives to get to the real franchise QB money.

Assuming you could pay Foles 18mil per year instead of 22 has nothing to do with Bortles contract and everything to do with Foles' market.

Bortles contract has everything to do with what Foles would think is a fair deal and be willing to agree to. It's foolish to think that Foles' agent didn't use that as a major point of negotiation.

Foles comes with a much better resume than Bortles. He expects to get paid like that.

I can understand $22 million if a few were based on playing all 16 games and/or making the playoffs. To just assume he will do something, Foles has never done is a bit rash. 

Unfortunately, we may never know if there was another bidder or not that drove up the cost.

(03-11-2019, 07:35 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

I can understand $22 million if a few were based on playing all 16 games and/or making the playoffs. To just assume he will do something, Foles has never done is a bit rash. 

Unfortunately, we may never know if there was another bidder or not that drove up the cost.

You gotta think with as much salary as Miami dumped in the past week and putting Tannehill on the block, they were gonna make an offer. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.  If hes your guy, and the team believed he was, you do NOT let him leave without an agreement.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 07:56 PM by Predator.)

(03-11-2019, 07:35 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Garoppolo got 27.5 mil a year for assumptions.

These are the prices QBs go for these days.

What I find really hard to believe is that some people were actually thinking we could get someone like Foles at the same price we got Bortles.

(03-11-2019, 04:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 03:50 PM)Rico Wrote: If they sign him to a bloated contract I'll be seriously pissed...and I mean anything north of $20mil (and even that is too high).  

There is no way in hell that he will come close to duplicating what he did in Philly the last two playoff runs.  I will gladly eat crow if he does, but I just do not see any way in hell it happens.  This is a bad...bad...move.

No, it's a good move.  He's the best QB out there and we desperately need a QB.   This contract would not put him in the top 10 highest paid QBs.   Plus, it's probably 22 million a year IF he makes it to the final year.   These contracts usually ramp up to the final year when they are either renegotiated or the player is released.

And as for your comment, "There is no way in hell that he will come close to duplicating what he did in Philly the last two playoff runs." Well if he did that, he'd deserve a lot more money than $22 million.   

$22 million doesn't buy you a Hall of Famer these days.   It just buys you a good QB, and that's what he is.

So using all of your logic, it makes even less sense to me.  It's a waste of money to spend that on a 'good' quarterback.  A 'good' quarterback does absolutely nothing for this team.  I want a franchise quarterback.  I'd much rather draft one at a MUCH cheaper cost.  Is it a guarantee?  No.  But neither is Foles.

I guess we'll see.  I have no choice at this point, but I don't expect it to end well.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Why did they color the uniform like he's going to the Panthers?

(03-11-2019, 08:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Why did they color the uniform like he's going to the Panthers?

Well, it's a cartoonish illustration. I guess they took a bit of artistic license with the teal.

(or the NFL graphic design intern assigned with the task botched the color)

(03-11-2019, 08:22 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 04:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: No, it's a good move.  He's the best QB out there and we desperately need a QB.   This contract would not put him in the top 10 highest paid QBs.   Plus, it's probably 22 million a year IF he makes it to the final year.   These contracts usually ramp up to the final year when they are either renegotiated or the player is released.

And as for your comment, "There is no way in hell that he will come close to duplicating what he did in Philly the last two playoff runs." Well if he did that, he'd deserve a lot more money than $22 million.   

$22 million doesn't buy you a Hall of Famer these days.   It just buys you a good QB, and that's what he is.

So using all of your logic, it makes even less sense to me.  It's a waste of money to spend that on a 'good' quarterback.  A 'good' quarterback does absolutely nothing for this team.  I want a franchise quarterback.  I'd much rather draft one at a MUCH cheaper cost.  Is it a guarantee?  No.  But neither is Foles.

I guess we'll see.  I have no choice at this point, but I don't expect it to end well.

We have never drafted even a good QB in our entire history so I don't see why it is illogical to give free agency a shot at least once.

We most likely won't get a shot at drafting one of the top two QBs, so the best we would be able to do is draft someone later on that we might be able to develop into a franchise QB which means we still need a quality QB to play now.

We are not in rebuild mode right now. The team believes it has enough core talent that adding a few quality pieces will make us competitive now, and adding a "good" QB is one of the most important pieces you can possibly add.

(03-11-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

You do know that previous contracts at each position sets the market for future contracts in the NFL right? To think that a qb a couple years from superbowl mvp and a year from back to back playoff appearances would command less than a guy with fewer accolades is just laughable.

(03-12-2019, 03:54 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Assuming you could pay Foles 18mil per year instead of 22 has nothing to do with Bortles contract and everything to do with Foles' market.

You do know that previous contracts at each position sets the market for future contracts in the NFL right? To think that a qb a couple years from superbowl mvp and a year from back to back playoff appearances would command less than a guy with fewer accolades is just laughable.

That is by no means a cut and dry standard in the league. It may be where agents try to get their clients to draw the line in negotiations -  but I'm afraid players without multiple suitors have to come down on their price from previous contracts plenty around this league.  

The playoff appearances and SB are great.  But the lack of interest from other teams is an equal opposing factor. 

Besides, the $18 mil number suggested still allows the Jags to easily still offer Foles a contract with a much higher guarantee than what Blake had and an impressive signing bonus. It wouldn't be an "insulting offer" as some paint it. 

I don't think there'd be anything strange about that if it's true Foles had no other suitor.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(03-11-2019, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1105209705939562497

Now i have to constantly be reminded of our robbed SB appearance.  He was SB MVP of the SB we should've been in and won.  Against the same D we should've kept stomping in the ground 2 weeks before after halftime. smfh
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM by TheeKB.)

(03-12-2019, 03:54 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Assuming you could pay Foles 18mil per year instead of 22 has nothing to do with Bortles contract and everything to do with Foles' market.

Agreed sir, too many blind gm’s up in hurrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(03-12-2019, 04:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:54 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: You do know that previous contracts at each position sets the market for future contracts in the NFL right? To think that a qb a couple years from superbowl mvp and a year from back to back playoff appearances would command less than a guy with fewer accolades is just laughable.

That is by no means a cut and dry standard in the league. It may be where agents try to get their clients to draw the line in negotiations -  but I'm afraid players without multiple suitors have to come down on their price from previous contracts plenty around this league.  

The playoff appearances and SB are great.  But the lack of interest from other teams is an equal opposing factor. 

Besides, the $18 mil number suggested still allows the Jags to easily still offer Foles a contract with a much higher guarantee than what Blake had and an impressive signing bonus. It wouldn't be an "insulting offer" as some paint it. 

I don't think there'd be anything strange about that if it's true Foles had no other suitor.

So it would’ve been better to get into a bidding war with someone else interested hearing we offered less than they would have? I mean that happens too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro