Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No love for Fant around here?

If we get Foles I'd like to trade down a bit and get Noah Fant, I think he can easily be a bigger threat on the passing game than Hockenson. I'd love either anyway but not at #7. 

2nd round best available OL
2nd round (from trading down) BAP (OL, RB, LB or FS)

It would be great (but also very hard too, I know) if we could trade one of our 3rd round picks for a future 2nd round pick.

I'd like another 1 or 2 OL the rest of the draft, maybe Grier in the 3rd if he is available.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd love to trade out and get more picks.

Fant should certainly be on the radar at the right slot.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I have Fant and Hochenson neck and neck for the top TE position. With that said, I believe there are two elite OG prospects in this draft (Cody Ford and Chris Lindstrom.) Ford will probably go top 15 and I give it about a 85 % chance Lindstrom is gone before our 2nd round pick. I think we have to get one of these guys to make up for the weaknesses at our other O-Line positions. I definitely favor a trade down if we get Foles, but I would target Ford. I would then try and land TE Jace Sternberger at the top of round 3. I believe this guy is being really overlooked. He's my #3 TE. He is a good pass catcher and a solid blocker.

Yeah I also like Fant and Hockenson pretty much the same, Fant will probably be more dynamic as a passer but really...give me any of those 2. I'm also all for trading down a few spots and get possibly day 2 pick(s). One between Fant, Hockenson or one of the top OL will be there.

(03-06-2019, 12:18 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: If we get Foles I'd like to trade down a bit and get Noah Fant, I think he can easily be a bigger threat on the passing game than Hockenson. I'd love either anyway but not at #7. 

It would be great (but also very hard too, I know) if we could trade one of our 3rd round picks for a future 2nd round pick.

I'd like another 1 or 2 OL the rest of the draft, maybe Grier in the 3rd if he is available.

I share this line of thinking.  If we are looking to use the TE in the passing game more than the run game, I favor Fant. Like you, I think moving back from 7 is also our best option to build the roster, and still get some guys early who will be able to produce right away.

Fant is definitely a better receiver than Hockenson, but honestly I think Hockenson is the 2nd best receiving TE in the draft and the best blocking TE in the draft. Fant is definitely not the second best blocking TE in the draft... he's not horrible but it'll never be his thing exactly. Put it all together and it's why people are higher on Hockenson, especially when you think about what the Jags are really gonna be looking for at the position. But I totally agree, Fant is a special talent and I'd love to see him as a Jag. Trading down is increasingly becoming my favoured option, as it often does to be fair. Whether it's possible or not is another matter.

Trading down is my favored option too- send the 7 to Miami at 13 for their #2. Take Ford, Hock, Fant, Taylor, etc. at 13.

My least favorite option is giving up a lot of draft capital to get a rookie QB like Haskins or Murray. I've read all the arguments in all the threads and would rather upgrade 3-4 positions, especially the OL, than 1.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

The only way they will be able to trade down is if Murray or Haskins is available at 7. If not, no one is going to trade up.

If they stay at 7 (and assuming they sign Foles), I want Taylor from Florida or Hockenson. If they can come away from this draft with:

1. Hockenson or Taylor
2. Hakeem Butler or Paris Campbell
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

I think you are looking at a totally revamped offense. I would prefer them to sign a RG or RT in FA.

(03-06-2019, 11:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The only way they will be able to trade down is if Murray or Haskins is available at 7. If not, no one is going to trade up.

If they stay at 7 (and assuming they sign Foles), I want Taylor from Florida or Hockenson. If they can come away from this draft with:

1. Hockenson or Taylor
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

I think you are looking at a totally revamped offense. I would prefer them to sign a RG or RT in FA.

They aren't exactly flush with cash to sign good o-line options in FA, but it could happen depending on other cuts. Either way I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't address o-line somewhere in those first 5 picks of the draft.

It's too early to say what is 'the only way' to trade down. We are picking at 7 and if any of Bosa, Q. Williams, Allen, Murray or Haskins are there I imagine we would have offers. But there are always surprises, maybe someone falls in love with Metcalf and wants to move ahead of the Bills? You never know...

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 12:04 PM by BlueEyedJag.)

(03-06-2019, 11:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The only way they will be able to trade down is if Murray or Haskins is available at 7. If not, no one is going to trade up.

1. Hockenson or Taylor
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

Agree with Taylor/Hockenson being the pick...I would even add Ford as a possibility.

As far as trade downs.  I see a lot of potential scenarios.

1.) Oakland grabs Murray/Haskins at #4 but wants a premier WR prospect in Metcalf to pair with him.  They have 2 additional late round 1st after #4.
2.) One of Miami/Washington/Denver come up to grab the next QB...Washington is going to have to look at the draft for a QB.
3.) GB has an additional late round 1st to pair with #12.  They could get their pick of edge rusher...Sweat/Allen/Ferrell/Gary.
4.) Devin White is seen as the Premier MLB, then guys like Oliver/Gary who are athletic freaks could draw some attention.

As for FA...If we sign Foles that is probably it as far as potential "starters". Maybe a backup TE2 could be signed but Hyde/Jackson/Bortles cap savings are going to be used on Foles/Draft picks. They could cut Parnell/Gipson but you better draft Taylor if you cut Parnell.

1. Hockenson or Taylor
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

You do realize teams sometimes trade up for players who are not QBs right?

(03-06-2019, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

1. Hockenson or Taylor
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

You do realize teams sometimes trade up for players who are not QBs right?
Rarely.

Is someone really going to give up draft capital for Metcalf? I see the first 6 picks being Murray, Bosa, Williams, Allen, Gary, and Haskins in some order but those are the 6. Sometimes teams do trade up for a position other than QB but in this draft, I don't really see it happening. And why would a team try to jump the Lions or Bills who pick after us?

Again. It could happen but I just don't see it as a likely scenario.

#7 pick for a TE. That's dumb. Trade down. or draft a playmaker at #7, bap pass rusher or OT, or OG.

(03-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: #7 pick for a TE. That's dumb.  Trade down.  or draft a playmaker at #7, bap pass rusher or OT, or OG.

Hockenson will be a playmaker

1. Hockenson or Taylor
3. BA running back.
3. BA TE

I am not a fan of Jawaan Taylor. He's decent, but far from elite. He struggled against speed rushers and I just don't see him getting the kind of push in the run game that I wanna see. Somebody is gonna take him high, simply out of desperation. I just pray it isn't us. He is to the RT position, what Cam Robinson is to the LT position.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 01:35 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-06-2019, 12:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: You do realize teams sometimes trade up for players who are not QBs right?
Rarely.

Is someone really going to give up draft capital for Metcalf? I see the first 6 picks being Murray, Bosa, Williams, Allen, Gary, and Haskins in some order but those are the 6. Sometimes teams do trade up for a position other than QB but in this draft, I don't really see it happening. And why would a team try to jump the Lions or Bills who pick after us?

It's not as rare as you might think.

Just last year, the Saints and Packers pulled off a deal that enabled the Saints to move up to draft Marcus Davenport.

Just two seasons ago, the Jaguars moved up in the second round to draft LT Cam Robinson, and three years ago, the Jaguars traded up in the second to secure Myles Jack.

In fact...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23324...l-32-teams

I assure you most of those trades did NOT involve QBs.

Here's a link from the 2017 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-the-moves

While QBs are the most tempting reason teams trade up, they are not the only reason.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-06-2019, 01:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Rarely.

It's not as rare as you might think.

Just last year, the Saints and Packers pulled off a deal that enabled the Saints to move up to draft Marcus Davenport.

Just two seasons ago, the Jaguars moved up in the second round to draft LT Cam Robinson, and three years ago, the Jaguars traded up in the second to secure Myles Jack.

In fact...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23324...l-32-teams

I assure you most of those trades did NOT involve QBs.

Here's a link from the 2017 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-the-moves

While QBs are the most tempting reason teams trade up, they are not the only reason.
Let me clarify a little bit.

I'm speaking strictly about the Jags draft position at #7 or the top 10 really. Of course trades occur all the time in the later half of round 1 and throughout the draft but jumping into the top 10 for a position other than QB doesn't happen often.

We did for Blackmon, Sammy Watkins, Julio Jones. That's just a frew WRs I can think of of recent memory

(03-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: #7 pick for a TE. That's dumb.  Trade down.  or draft a playmaker at #7, bap pass rusher or OT, or OG.

TE's are playmakers too....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-06-2019, 12:18 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: If we get Foles I'd like to trade down a bit and get Noah Fant, I think he can easily be a bigger threat on the passing game than Hockenson. I'd love either anyway but not at #7. 

Too Slow !!  HA !  just kidding --- I'm good with trading down for Fant or picking him up in the early 2nd if he's on the board.... speed kills.