Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No love for Fant around here?

(03-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: #7 pick for a TE. That's dumb.  Trade down.  or draft a playmaker at #7, bap pass rusher or OT, or OG.

I agree. Never squander a top 10 pick on a TE ever unless you know he’s a surefire Gronk or Gonzo. Aside from that I’d much rather have a blue chip player on the lines. That’s beginning to look like the only #7 pick where need meets value in this draft. There is no Julio receiver or Gronk TE who warrants reaching like that. I hope they can trade down for another second day pick actually.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-06-2019, 12:18 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: If we get Foles I'd like to trade down a bit and get Noah Fant, I think he can easily be a bigger threat on the passing game than Hockenson. I'd love either anyway but not at #7. 

2nd round best available OL
2nd round (from trading down) BAP (OL, RB, LB or FS)

It would be great (but also very hard too, I know) if we could trade one of our 3rd round picks for a future 2nd round pick.

I'd like another 1 or 2 OL the rest of the draft, maybe Grier in the 3rd if he is available.

To be clear, I am very fond of Fant.

I believe it's easier for a receiving threat to contribute to a good running game than it is for a pure blocking TE to be effective in the passing game.  The 1990s Cowboys managed to create arguably the most dominant running game in history with Jay Novacek.  Anyone who saw Novacek could tell you he was far from a dominant run blocker.  The Chiefs over the past 15 or so years have usually had good running games with Tony Gonzalez at the Y.  Gonzalez was an all time great receiving TE but not known as a dominant run blocker.

I believe it's even rarer that a TE can get the deep separation that Fant shows.  I would rather have Fant's ability to create mismatches in the passing game and deal with him being a wall off type run blocker than to have a TE who commands no attention in the passing game but maybe can get some movement in the run game.

But I believe TC has a preference for TEs that are strong blockers (even though the Jaguars had their first success with Pete Mitchell).  He had ample opportunity to add Hurst and Andrews last year with a need at TE.  Instead, he added ASJ-a demonstrated bust elsewhere, in large part because he perceived ASJ to be a better blocker than either of those guys.  With this in mind, the bulk of my TE discussion (at least in the early rounds) has been on Hockenson, because I believe TC would prefer him.

I had some early reservations about Hockenson (and Fant, for that matter) regarding blocking and overall size.

Those concerns have been resolved favorably (thanks again flgatorsjags).

But that's why I haven't talked much about Fant.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!