Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars fielding calls about Tashaun Gipson

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...un-gipson/

Um...who replaces him then? Sign a mid-tier free agent, promote a guy like Wilson, or even move someone like Herndon or Meeks inside? Or try to find a starter in the middle rounds of the draft?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-06-2019, 12:09 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...un-gipson/

Um...who replaces him then? Sign a mid-tier free agent, promote a guy like Wilson, or even move someone like Herndon or Meeks inside? Or try to find a starter in the middle rounds of the draft?
Might be able to get Weddle for half the cost.

What scares me is them trying to trade Jackson and Gip for cap room to sign Foles to a big deal.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-06-2019, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:09 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...un-gipson/

What scares me is them trying to trade Jackson and Gip for cap room to sign Foles to a big deal.

I echo those sentiments. 

I know Church fell off a lot last year and Harrison looked pretty good in short order but I do have concerns going into 2019 with this secondary. Not performance wise. But health wise.

Bouye missed three games. Harrison ended up finishing on IR or on the injury list. Ramsey battled an ankle issue throughout most of the year and then you had Hayden miss roughly four to six starts between a toe injury and groin injury. 

At least Gipson managed to start all sixteen games last year. And I don't really remember him playing too awful out there. I hope these guys know what they're doing in that front office. Unless this is some dark horse move to land Landon Collins since he's one of Couglin's old guys that he helped develop as a rookie. But that doesn't seem likely.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think we should keep him. He didn't turn out to be the ball hawk I wanted, but he's played well for us.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 12:42 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

There’s a lot of talent available in the free agent safety market. Not sure we’d get much if any in the way of compensation. If the shopping him is true, I’d say this is probably more likely a prelude to him being cut with a June 1st designation rather than some team giving up draft capital for him. His cap hit is over $9 million this year. If cut with a post 6/1 designation, his dead cap number is $800k for this year which is manageable. They could be thinking they can find similar performance for a lot less in free agency.

Or maybe they get him restructured. Either way, with all the talent available in free agency, I doubt we stand pat with his current deal.

If they can't trade him they will cut him. They have to shed contracts they need to plan for locking up Ramsey, Yannick and even Myles
No Fun

(03-06-2019, 12:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s a lot of talent available in the free agent safety market.  Not sure we’d get much if any in the way of compensation.  If the shopping him is true, I’d say this is probably more likely a prelude to him being cut with a June 1st designation rather than some team giving up draft capital for him.  His cap hit is over $9 million this year.  If cut with a post 6/1 designation, his dead cap number is $800k for this year which is manageable.  They could be thinking they can find similar performance for a lot less in free agency.

Or maybe they get him restructured.  Either way, with all the talent available in free agency, I doubt we stand pat with his current deal.

I wonder if they already tried to restructure with him. We know they were able to get Campbell and Dareus to do so. Gipson probably told them to [BLEEP] off. Can't say I blame the guy. He's been pretty consistent on a good level since being here. And after coming over from that [BLEEP] hole known as Cleveland he was probably looking to continue to make primo.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 12:55 PM by JagJohn.)

(03-06-2019, 12:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s a lot of talent available in the free agent safety market.  Not sure we’d get much if any in the way of compensation.  If the shopping him is true, I’d say this is probably more likely a prelude to him being cut with a June 1st designation rather than some team giving up draft capital for him.  His cap hit is over $9 million this year.  If cut with a post 6/1 designation, his dead cap number is $800k for this year which is manageable.  They could be thinking they can find similar performance for a lot less in free agency.

Or maybe they get him restructured.  Either way, with all the talent available in free agency, I doubt we stand pat with his current deal.

Rapoport is saying teams are calling us about him, rather than us shopping him. If that's true and there is legitimate interest I think he's as good as gone.

Move Ramsey to safety and draft Greedy Williams

Pass on Weddle. 

Quote: Statistically speaking, Weddle, who spent his first nine seasons with the San Diego Chargers, recorded a career-low three passes defensed last season and did not have an interception after tallying six in 2017.
“He did some positive things both as a pass rusher and against the run,” Russell Street Report’s Ken McKusick wrote. “However, the glaring weakness for the 2018 Ravens was safety play on the back end.”
Wrote Baltimore Beatdown’s Frank J. Platko: “Weddle can no longer cover opposing receivers the way he used to and he became far slower in breaking to the ball. His tackling had also become pretty spotty.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lat...nn-mathieu

If we were to trade Gip I would hope it would be to improve the position. If the plan is to get a late pick and start Harrison and Wilson I won’t be very happy. Both are better Strong Safeties than they are Free Safeties at this point. But I have a feeling this is what will end up happening.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-06-2019, 12:55 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Move Ramsey to safety and draft Greedy Williams

(03-06-2019, 12:55 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Might be able to get Weddle for half the cost.

Pass on Weddle. 

Quote: Statistically speaking, Weddle, who spent his first nine seasons with the San Diego Chargers, recorded a career-low three passes defensed last season and did not have an interception after tallying six in 2017.
“He did some positive things both as a pass rusher and against the run,” Russell Street Report’s Ken McKusick wrote. “However, the glaring weakness for the 2018 Ravens was safety play on the back end.”
Wrote Baltimore Beatdown’s Frank J. Platko: “Weddle can no longer cover opposing receivers the way he used to and he became far slower in breaking to the ball. His tackling had also become pretty spotty.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lat...nn-mathieu

If we were to trade Gip I would hope it would be to improve the position. If the plan is to get a late pick and start Harrison and Wilson I won’t be very happy. Both are better Strong Safeties than they are Free Safeties at this point. But I have a feeling this is what will end up happening.

If that's the case we'll just have to hope that the front seven figures out a way to generate more pressure. It can't just be Campbell and Ngakoue out there all the time off the edge. Bryan will have to step it up. Maybe Wash needs to start getting more creative and blitzing Smith or Jack off the edge, etc. 

I wouldn't be shocked now if they end up going defense again with that 7th overall pick next month. If you look at the majority of the mocks out there right now between spots 5 - 10 it's a hot bed for DE's and DT's. It's not ideal for most fans with all of the issues on offense. But if they're planning for the future and the value fits the need? It is what it is.

(03-06-2019, 12:55 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Move Ramsey to safety and draft Greedy Williams

I don't hate this idea. But no way Ramsey is not going to want to be paid like a CB.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 01:09 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Good question. This is not a great Free Safety class. There are decent players at the top and then it goes way downhill.

In my mind, this is a given. I'm still expecting us to sign him to a 5 year $20+ million a year deal. Just look what they gave Bortles. I believe a Foles contract will be significantly higher. I don't like it either, but we have a panicky, reactionary front office. This could get ugly.

That would never work. Ramsey would refuse and hold out, demanding a trade.

i love draft picks and cap space but I'd be worried about the communication and overall play back there. Safeties are pretty key with how we play and although I like ronnie ,him and Wilson doesn't exactly fill me with faith over a fullseason. Not sure who they could get for a good deal under 5 million a year that would be worth it either

(03-06-2019, 01:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

That would never work. Ramsey would refuse and hold out, demanding a trade.

Money talks. You would have to pay him like a CB. Pretty much make him the highest paid FS for him to even consider it.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 02:25 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-06-2019, 12:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

I wonder if they already tried to restructure with him. We know they were able to get Campbell and Dareus to do so. Gipson probably told them to [BLEEP] off. Can't say I blame the guy. He's been pretty consistent on a good level since being here. And after coming over from that [BLEEP] hole known as Cleveland he was probably looking to continue to make primo.

He has a $500k roster bonus due on 3/17.  Jags could concievably get his replacement in the first few days of free agency and then cut him which would kinda screw Gipson in finding the best possible deal elsewhere since free agency will already be rolling.  I can't imagine him telling them to piss off in that scenario unless they just low balled the hell out of him.

That being said, I doubt the Jags are going to sign a free safety early in free agency as that would likely mean they're paying top dollar at the position.  It looks like the Jags have no interest in paying that roster bonus though.  Would be nice if they can get some sort of pick for him.

Who knows... maybe this Foles news is nonsense and they're really aiming to bring in Earl Thomas, trade/cut Gipson, keep Bortles or sign Bridgewater to a more managable deal and draft a QB high?

I do think Bortles is done here though for multiple reasons, but I think the biggest one is of how disgruntled Ramsey and probably other players in the locker room would be if we trotted him back out there another year.

That will be his third contract when he's about 30.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Gimme Joyner
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Thre Jags should be taking calls about every player on the roster. You should never not take a call.