Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars fielding calls about Tashaun Gipson

Makes sense because we have to clear cap, but it's gonna suck to lose him. Good veteran presence and has played very well for us. He is aging however, and I know we have to make room for some big contracts coming up. I guess we'll see what happens. It seems like it's gonna be either trade or cut him

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM by ATLjag.)

Minority opinion alert... No team can afford under the cap to put all-pros at every position. Harrison fell into the Jag's lap this past draft, and Wilson has shown to have developed into a decent safety in his limited play over the past 3 seasons. Due to his solid play at both safety and special teams, the Jags signed him to a 3 year deal this off season. If they can sign a short term vet on the cheap, great. However, I think the young combination of Harrison and Wilson would do the job.

(03-06-2019, 03:06 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Minority opinion alert...  No team can afford under the cap to put all-pros at every position.  Harrison fell into the Jag's lap this past draft, and Wilson has shown to have developed into a decent safety in his limited play over the past 3 seasons.  For his play at both safety and special teams, the Jags signed him to a very reasonable 3 year deal this offseason.  If they can sign a short term vet on the cheap, great.  However, I think the young combination of Harrison and Wilson would do the job.

Harrison looked like an absolute stud this season and I hope he keeps it up. I'm sure defenses will target him now that they've seen some tape on him, let's hope the growing pains are minimal and he can be a difference maker.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 03:20 PM by knarnn.)

(03-06-2019, 02:58 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Makes sense because we have to clear cap, but it's gonna suck to lose him. Good veteran presence and has played very well for us. He is aging however, and I know we have to make room for some big contracts coming up. I guess we'll see what happens. It seems like it's gonna be either trade or cut him

Aging?

He’s 28.

(03-06-2019, 03:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:06 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Minority opinion alert...  No team can afford under the cap to put all-pros at every position.  Harrison fell into the Jag's lap this past draft, and Wilson has shown to have developed into a decent safety in his limited play over the past 3 seasons.  For his play at both safety and special teams, the Jags signed him to a very reasonable 3 year deal this offseason.  If they can sign a short term vet on the cheap, great.  However, I think the young combination of Harrison and Wilson would do the job.

Harrison looked like an absolute stud this season and I hope he keeps it up. I'm sure defenses will target him now that they've seen some tape on him, let's hope the growing pains are minimal and he can be a difference maker.

I’m a fan of Harrison and he played really well but it was primarily at SS. The FS position on this team is a different beast entirely. Remember the revolving door there prior to Gip?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-06-2019, 03:11 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 02:58 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Makes sense because we have to clear cap, but it's gonna suck to lose him. Good veteran presence and has played very well for us. He is aging however, and I know we have to make room for some big contracts coming up. I guess we'll see what happens. It seems like it's gonna be either trade or cut him

Aging?

He’s 28.

(03-06-2019, 03:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Harrison looked like an absolute stud this season and I hope he keeps it up. I'm sure defenses will target him now that they've seen some tape on him, let's hope the growing pains are minimal and he can be a difference maker.

I’m a fan of Harrison and he played really well but it was primarily at SS. The FS position on this team is a different beast entirely. Remember the evolving door there prior to Gip?
approaching 30 is kinda old in football. especially for a guy without really good speed. And I know Harrison plays SS and not FS lol. I guess I'm just trying to understand reasons other than cap for letting him go. As for the issues we had at FS in the past.. please don't remind me. Dark times

Gipson was a solid player and will be missed. I doubt the Jaguars will get more than a 4th rounder for him and I believe they'd take a 5th to get back what they lost in the Hyde trade. They must have a lot of confidence in Wilson to be letting Gipson go. Two guys I'd consider are Tre Boston in free agency and Adderly in the draft. Boston would be less expensive than Gipson and covers well. Adderly is going to be a stud, but he'd have to fall to the 2nd round for the Jags to get him.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 05:45 PM by MikePete54.)

Both Wilson and Harrison are SS. We need to find two FS if Gip leaves.

There are many options at FS in free agency.

Tre Boston
Landon Collins
Earl Thomas
Tyrann Mathieu
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Adrian Philips

Even Reggie Nelson !!! (Ok I'm kidding...)

(03-06-2019, 05:39 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: Both Wilson and Harrison are SS. We need to find two FS if Gip leaves.

There are many options at FS in free agency.

Tre Boston
Landon Collins
Earl Thomas
Tyrann Mathieu
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Adrian Philips

Even Reggie Nelson !!! (Ok I'm kidding...)

Collins will break the bank most likely. And I think he's more of a SS than a FS. But he was a Coughlin guy. So there's that at least. 

I would say between Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu on a 1 - 2 year deal would be ideal. They've been around a long time. Losing Gipson essentially takes away that veteran leadership in the secondary. Not that Ramsey and Bouye can't hold it down on the outside. But I think we would all feel better if a veteran was back there with Harrison to assist when and where needed. Thomas is probably hungry as hell to prove himself again after how everything transpired in Seattle. That's the guy I would target first.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

A comparable fs is gonna cost just as much.

Means more off the ball deep third zones for our all pro corners

Never been a fan of Gipson but I am kinda scared since we have no one to replace him.

Some solid, ready to play DB’s in the draft. Also, comparable talent *imo* on the fa market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I sometimes wonder if all of the “moving on from Gipson” talk over the past two years from media and fans is absolutely nothing more than just talk from media and fans.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not the intention of the front office in the slightest.

It feels too much like one of those easy “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” situations to me.

I get that his contract is a bit inflated relative to his play, but it’s nothing ridiculous.

I just hope they see some upgrade contingency - and not a lateral move situation if they are going to accept a trade offer. A lesser player at FS in Wash’s scheme will result in the defense giving up some big explosive plays IMO.

I say trade him if the compensation is fair. It does not have to be a pick but maybe a player. I would take a solid linemen any day of the week.

Ramsey and Bouye are supposed shutdown corners. If the jags continue to play a base cover 3 the free safety does not have to be a star. Allow them to control the sidelines and have a decent player playing centerfield.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He had great numbers in 2017 when our defense was firing on all cylinders. Last year he was one of the few bright spots but the secondary (mainly Church) was getting abused every play but Gip still had a solid year. I would hate to see him go. It's a shame we let one miserable season filled with injuries and mindless actions send us into overhauling half the roster. Some positions needed a change/upgrade but FS isn't one of them. I guess we think Ronnie Harrison is ready to start?
No pain, no gain.

(03-06-2019, 07:12 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: He had great numbers in 2017 when our defense was firing on all cylinders. Last year he was one of the few bright spots but the secondary (mainly Church) was getting abused every play but Gip still had a solid year. I would hate to see him go. It's a shame we let one miserable season filled with injuries and mindless actions send us into overhauling half the roster. Some positions needed a change/upgrade but FS isn't one of them. I guess we think Ronnie Harrison is ready to start?

Harrison IS the starter at SS.

And yes. He’s ready. 

Also the secondary had a small handful of poor games. It wasn’t as bad as you are trying to make it out. The Jags pass defense  last year was actually very good on the whole. 

There really isn’t a guy on the roster to step in and take Gipson’s place unless the team is way higher on Jarrod Wilson than we are aware of. 

(Someone said earlier that Wilson is a SS. He has actually played both spots and filled in at FS some last season.)

Didn't Gipson play all 16 games last season. Why did Wilson fill in there? Don't rem ember that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weddle here. But FS isn't anywhere near my biggest concerns at the moment.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-06-2019, 01:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:55 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Move Ramsey to safety and draft Greedy Williams

That would never work. Ramsey would refuse and hold out, demanding a trade.

Move AJ to safety then. He’s physical and fast too.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-06-2019, 12:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s a lot of talent available in the free agent safety market.  Not sure we’d get much if any in the way of compensation.  If the shopping him is true, I’d say this is probably more likely a prelude to him being cut with a June 1st designation rather than some team giving up draft capital for him.  His cap hit is over $9 million this year.  If cut with a post 6/1 designation, his dead cap number is $800k for this year which is manageable.  They could be thinking they can find similar performance for a lot less in free agency.

Or maybe they get him restructured.  Either way, with all the talent available in free agency, I doubt we stand pat with his current deal.

I have something of a different take on this.

We agree that this is a very strong FS class.  With this in mind, why would teams presumably offer draft choice compensation for a guy playing a position with a lot of talent in free agency?

Are the FS on the market pricing themselves too high, such that Gipson's contract is palatable in comparison?

Are the FS on the market overrated at this stage in their careers?  Weddle is old.  Matthieu has been injury prone.  Earl Thomas is older, coming off a season ending injury, and seems to be demanding big money.

We know that Marrone loves Gipson.  Is Gipson more respected league wide than we realize?

Assuming, for argument's sake the answers to these questions are affirmative, then perhaps we should keep him.

Are the Jaguars simply floating these rumors?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-06-2019, 08:52 PM)surfon Wrote: Didn't Gipson play all 16 games last season.  Why did Wilson fill in there? Don't rem ember that.

He might have started all 16 games, but he didn't finish all 16. He missed time in a handful of games this past season. 

You don't remember it because there wasn't much of a drop off when Wilson was taking his place. Obviously it wasn't a big sample size though.