Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars fielding calls about Tashaun Gipson

(03-06-2019, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s a lot of talent available in the free agent safety market.  Not sure we’d get much if any in the way of compensation.  If the shopping him is true, I’d say this is probably more likely a prelude to him being cut with a June 1st designation rather than some team giving up draft capital for him.  His cap hit is over $9 million this year.  If cut with a post 6/1 designation, his dead cap number is $800k for this year which is manageable.  They could be thinking they can find similar performance for a lot less in free agency.

Or maybe they get him restructured.  Either way, with all the talent available in free agency, I doubt we stand pat with his current deal.

I have something of a different take on this.

We agree that this is a very strong FS class.  With this in mind, why would teams presumably offer draft choice compensation for a guy playing a position with a lot of talent in free agency?

Are the FS on the market pricing themselves too high, such that Gipson's contract is palatable in comparison?

Are the FS on the market overrated at this stage in their careers?  Weddle is old.  Matthieu has been injury prone.  Earl Thomas is older, coming off a season ending injury, and seems to be demanding big money.

We know that Marrone loves Gipson.  Is Gipson more respected league wide than we realize?

Assuming, for argument's sake the answers to these questions are affirmative, then perhaps we should keep him.

Are the Jaguars simply floating these rumors?
Adrian Amos, Darrian Stewart and Tre Boston are all available for cheaper than Gipson.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-06-2019, 09:09 PM)pirkster Wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing Weddle here.  But FS isn't anywhere near my biggest concerns at the moment.

Weddle was horrible last year.  Old and slow does not make a good FS.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-07-2019, 08:04 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:09 PM)pirkster Wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing Weddle here.  But FS isn't anywhere near my biggest concerns at the moment.

Weddle was horrible last year.  Old and slow does not make a good FS.

Pff had him a top 10 safety and he played pretty the couple games I saw the Ravens play last year

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...eddle/3653

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM by nhiverson.)

Yeah I'd rather keep Gipson then sign Weddle.
No Fun

(03-07-2019, 04:51 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I have something of a different take on this.

We agree that this is a very strong FS class.  With this in mind, why would teams presumably offer draft choice compensation for a guy playing a position with a lot of talent in free agency?

Are the FS on the market pricing themselves too high, such that Gipson's contract is palatable in comparison?

Are the FS on the market overrated at this stage in their careers?  Weddle is old.  Matthieu has been injury prone.  Earl Thomas is older, coming off a season ending injury, and seems to be demanding big money.

We know that Marrone loves Gipson.  Is Gipson more respected league wide than we realize?

Assuming, for argument's sake the answers to these questions are affirmative, then perhaps we should keep him.

Are the Jaguars simply floating these rumors?
Adrian Amos, Darrian Stewart and Tre Boston are all available for cheaper than Gipson.

I don't know this to be true or not, but assuming so, it still makes it more of a mystery why teams would trade for Gipson.

Not knocking Gipson at all with this statement, but with such a deep FA class with younger cheaper guys, why wouldn't teams in need of an upgrade at FS simply sign one of those guys?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

A reliable safety is worth 8 million.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

looks like he's going to the 'horns.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(03-12-2019, 10:39 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: looks like he's going to the 'horns.

[BLEEP]!!!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Not big on him going to a division rival, especially when he is still a good player. If they could figure out where to play Colvin, the back end could be okay.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I hate this move.

Can't wait to see who will be our starter at FS.

(03-12-2019, 10:49 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: I hate this move.

Can't wait to see who will be our starter at FS.

Not being willing to restructure probably sealed his fate, but I think reading between the lines with this ESPN paragraph shows that perhaps Wash voiced his opinion that he'd prefer working with a new FS. I would've preferred to keep Gipson for continuity, but I think over time the position will be fine if it's manned by the winner of a cheap veteran competing with Wilson and a draft pick. I'm hoping Tre Boston can be that cheap vet. He has sticky fingers. 

"In his first season with the Jaguars, Gibson had just one interception and was not happy with his role. He was critical of defensive coordinator Todd Wash, saying he felt misused playing as a single-high safety, even though the Jaguars signed him with the intention of doing that."
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Now with the Texans for same price....

Gipson has been here long enough. Time for someone new to try their hand at FS. Can't be any worse tbh.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-12-2019, 03:36 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Gipson has been here long enough. Time for someone new to try their hand at FS. Can't be any worse tbh.

It could be worse. It could be much, much worse. And it was worse prior to signing Gipson for several years. 

The "tbh" addendum is cute, though.    

What good is being honest when you don't know what the hell you're talking about? I think you should be far less honest.

(03-12-2019, 03:36 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Gipson has been here long enough. Time for someone new to try their hand at FS. Can't be any worse tbh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-12-2019, 05:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

It could be worse. It could be much, much worse. And it was worse prior to signing Gipson for several years. 

What good is being honest when you don't know what the hell you're talking about? I think you should be far less honest.

Tbh, in his head he honestly thought he really did know so he honestly voiced his opinion. Isn’t that what all of us are really doing here in the first place...??? sharing our thoughts, news and what we believe is our own special perspective? I honestly think being able to take your own special little time to applaud someone’s cuteness is actually really sweet tbh. It shows you care for their statement more than the others and that maybe.... just maybe.... you love that person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(03-13-2019, 11:22 AM)TheeKB Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 05:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It could be worse. It could be much, much worse. And it was worse prior to signing Gipson for several years. 

Tbh, in his head he honestly thought he really did know so he honestly voiced his opinion. Isn’t that what all of us are really doing here in the first place...??? sharing our thoughts, news and what we believe is our own special perspective? I honestly think being able to take your own special little time to applaud someone’s cuteness is actually really sweet tbh. It shows you care for their statement more than the others and that maybe.... just maybe.... you love that person.

Was that actually supposed to kean something?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-13-2019, 11:25 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 11:22 AM)TheeKB Wrote: Tbh, in his head he honestly thought he really did know so he honestly voiced his opinion. Isn’t that what all of us are really doing here in the first place...??? sharing our thoughts, news and what we believe is our own special perspective? I honestly think being able to take your own special little time to applaud someone’s cuteness is actually really sweet tbh. It shows you care for their statement more than the others and that maybe.... just maybe.... you love that person.

Was that actually supposed to kean something?

I really have no idea tbh. Make of it what you will. I’m just a troll with no alliances, waiting for kickoff. Nice use of “keen” btw.