Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles, Done deal

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:35 PM by imtheblkranger.)

I'm not a huge Foles fan, but I understand bringing him in and I'll be behind him 100%

I just am concerned with the contract, especially when we were the only bidder. But it's not my money so [BLEEP] it. As long as we win.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m happy. It’s no t secret, I’ve been wanting him since the season ended. I think it’s a good move and the only move for the Jags to make the playoffs next year. A rookie isn’t getting it done. No other FA was getting it done. And it is NOT my money.

Best QB Marrone has ever had and can probably be rest assured that Spacecoast will never come trolling around here anymore. Win-win.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(03-11-2019, 05:17 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I applaud the move.

I agree.  While I was a "move up to get Haskins" guy, I cannot hate this move.  We get a proven competent qb.  Now use those draft choices on TE, OL, and other pieces for offense.

This could really be fun!

Precisely!

Think about the positions we have left to fill on offense:

WR-A deep draft class
TE-A deep draft class
OT-A deep draft class
G-Maybe not so deep, but C is deep, and a C can be moved to G, or Linder can be moved to G

No other free agent QB offered what Foles offered.

Tannehill never made a Pro Bowl.  Bridgewater did, but never threw for more than 14 TDs in a season.
Neither of them made it to a Super Bowl, much less won it and the SB MVP, beating Brady.
Neither of them had the familiarity with DeFelippo Foles has.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Usually I’m hearing how much we pay any FA, like Malik or whoever. All I’m hearing is how fair it is for both sides.

(03-11-2019, 05:34 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm not a huge Foles fan, but I understand bringing him in and I'll be behind him 100%

I just am concerned with the contract, especially when we were the only bidder. But it's not my money so [BLEEP] it. As long as we win.

The only bidder? How'd you come to that conclusion?

Some of the things I see wished for on here... Oh man. Rosen somebody wanted??? Wth?

Nice move I'm excited about the season now.

Open up the playbook! We’ve got a guy that can complete a pass. Btw, what are the stats on Foles throwing balls at his O-line? How about batted passes? I honestly don’t know. Im sure it’s better than Blake’s though.

Why are people bent out of shape over 50 mil guaranteed? Even at 88 mil with no incentives that's what? 22 a year? And if he makes his incentives, still about 25.5 a year and we're probably winning a lot of games.. That't just about what you pay a QB these days. Just imagine what a guy like Mahomes is going to get(probably 28-30+ a year). This isn't a bad deal for the Jaguars at all.

The ONLY thing that I am upset about at QB is the fact we resigned Bortles vs just picking up the 5th year option. If we did that, we see 0 dead money and might be able to keep Gip around. We just upgraded QB, arguably the weakest single position on offense.

(03-11-2019, 05:41 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Why are people bent out of shape over 50 mil guaranteed? Even at  88 mil with no incentives that's what? 22 a year? And if he makes his incentives, still about 25.5 a year and we're probably winning a lot of games.. That't just about what you pay a QB these days. Just imagine what a guy like Mahomes is going to get(probably 28-30+ a year). This isn't a bad deal for the Jaguars at all.

The ONLY thing that I am upset about at QB is the fact we resigned Bortles vs just picking up the 5th year option. If we did that, we see 0 dead money and might be able to keep Gip around. We just upgraded QB, arguably the weakest single position on offense.

Exactly!

Even Mike freaking Florio, who never hesitates to Jag bash, loved the move.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ing-piece/

Don't understand the contract when we were the only suitor.

(03-11-2019, 05:43 PM)jg77 Wrote: Don't understand the contract when we were the only suitor.

2 things:

1.  The Eagles helped set the floor when they exercised his $20 million option.  The only reason Foles is not an Eagle making $20 million to ride the bench is because there was a $2 million buyout.

2.  The 22 million/year is in the middle of the pack in yearly salary for starting QBs.

The deal was not unreasonable.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM by Jags.)

(03-11-2019, 05:43 PM)jg77 Wrote: Don't understand the contract when we were the only suitor.

They didn’t want to shaft him.  This is a guy that was contemplating retirement a few years ago.  If he’s your guy, let him know.  Pay him what he’s worth.  I’ve paid guys more based off their worth and they didn’t even have to come to me asking for a raise.  If he’s the man you want, pay him.

Oh, and you and I don’t have to pay it.  So really, who cares.  He’s not even getting top 10 money.

(03-11-2019, 05:43 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:41 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Why are people bent out of shape over 50 mil guaranteed? Even at  88 mil with no incentives that's what? 22 a year? And if he makes his incentives, still about 25.5 a year and we're probably winning a lot of games.. That't just about what you pay a QB these days. Just imagine what a guy like Mahomes is going to get(probably 28-30+ a year). This isn't a bad deal for the Jaguars at all.

Exactly!

Even Mike freaking Florio, who never hesitates to Jag bash, loved the move.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ing-piece/

Quote: The fact that they were the only serious suitor for Foles allowed the Jaguars to stay on the right side of $25 million per year, putting Foles behind the likes of the Zero Win Playoffs club of Derek Carr ($25 million), Matthew Stafford ($27 million), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million), and Kirk Cousins ($28 million).

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

NICE!

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 06:00 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-11-2019, 05:47 PM)Jags Wrote:

They didn’t want to shaft him.  This is a guy that was contemplating retirement a few years ago.  If he’s your guy, let him know.  Pay him what he’s worth.  I’ve paid guys more based off their worth and they didn’t even have to come to me asking for a raise.  If he’s the man you want, pay him.

The talking head on NFL Network made the observation that Foles was chosen in large part due to his leadership ability.  If the Jaguars lowballed him, that would have diminished his credibility in a locker room full of strong personalities.

For that matter, it would have undermined the credibility of the FO.

its Weird that people are so worried about the money without knowing the structure

We have some of the best at managing the cap

Well, the NFL has a weird way of handing out contracts then. Honestly, I think he was forced upon us...would've been a bad look for the sport if the former Superbowl MVP couldn't find a job or interest. It what it is. Anyone but Bortles so it's all good for now.

(03-11-2019, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:47 PM)Jags Wrote: They didn’t want to shaft him.  This is a guy that was contemplating retirement a few years ago.  If he’s your guy, let him know.  Pay him what he’s worth.  I’ve paid guys more based off their worth and they didn’t even have to come to me asking for a raise.  If he’s the man you want, pay him.

Tje talking head on NFL Network made the observation that Foles was chosen in large part due to his leadership ability.  If the Jaguars lowballed him, that would have diminished his credibility in a locker room full of strong personalities.

For that matter, it would have undermined the credibility of the FO.

I can’t disagree with that.   If he’s that good as being a leader, it’ll be a good thing.  Well worth the money if he’s going to be doing that as well.  I’m hoping this puts a spark in the defense.  Even though they didn’t play that bad last year.

I don`t understand why some people think we were gonna pay Foles Bortles money to be our starter. Also to say he had no leverage is not true he had the best leverage you could have you can sign a QB who sat a year out due to blowing out his knee and best season was 14 TDs, A QB that is just as bad as the QB you have and spent half of the last 2 years injured or you can sign me for 22 mil which would make me the 15th highest paid QB.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]