Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Now what do they do with Blake?

(03-11-2019, 08:11 PM)hb1148 Wrote: It sounds crazy but with the FA QB market being what it is, I wonder if they could say something like "listen, we'd like to keep you as the backup but not at your present salary, how about re-structuring in a way that let's you stay with the team you're most familiar with?" I know, not very likely.

If he takes a deal like that he's a moron

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-12-2019, 03:31 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:11 PM)hb1148 Wrote: It sounds crazy but with the FA QB market being what it is, I wonder if they could say something like "listen, we'd like to keep you as the backup but not at your present salary, how about re-structuring in a way that let's you stay with the team you're most familiar with?" I know, not very likely.

If he takes a deal like that he's a moron

If the alternative is sitting out a year or being paid to be a back up a team in the cellar, he'd be a moron not to consider it. It's not like he'll get paid for sitting out 2019. He's already got what he's going to get, his next decision will be where he signs next. I doubt he'll get much more than league minimum.  The Jags are unlikely to consider it though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM by JackCity.)

(03-12-2019, 06:17 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:31 AM)DragonFury Wrote: If he takes a deal like that he's a moron

If the alternative is sitting out a year or being paid to be a back up a team in the cellar, he'd be a moron not to consider it. It's not like he'll get paid for sitting out 2019. He's already got what he's going to get, his next decision will be where he signs next. I doubt he'll get much more than league minimum.  The Jags are unlikely to consider it though.

Close to league minimum? Zero chance of that 

Chase Daniels and AJ McCarron are on a 5 a year. Henne , Colt McCoy and Drew Stanton are on over 3 million a year.

(03-11-2019, 08:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

I'd love to keep him as a back up. That's the perfect roll for him. But I just dont see that happening

"There's a new General.   Your old General has been demoted to Colonel."  

That doesn't work.  It'd be best for him and everyone else in that locker room for him to move on to some other team.

He'll be the Patriots back up.
No pain, no gain.

(03-12-2019, 06:17 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:31 AM)DragonFury Wrote: If he takes a deal like that he's a moron

$6.5 million of his 2019 salary is guaranteed. He can go to any team for vet minimum and a decent signing bonus and still make plenty of money.

(03-12-2019, 07:15 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:17 AM)hb1148 Wrote: If the alternative is sitting out a year or being paid to be a back up a team in the cellar, he'd be a moron not to consider it. It's not like he'll get paid for sitting out 2019. He's already got what he's going to get, his next decision will be where he signs next. I doubt he'll get much more than league minimum.  The Jags are unlikely to consider it though.

$6.5 million of his 2019 salary is guaranteed. He can go to any team for vet minimum and a decent signing bonus and still make plenty of money.

That's his dead cap figure. That's the pro-rated part of his signing bonus. His 2019 salary figure is closer to 14 million I believe. Either way, it's not like he'll be getting game checks this year. He's rich enough to not care but as they say, you should earn what you can while you can. My guess is that someone will sign him for considerably more than the minimum though so the point is moot.

(03-12-2019, 06:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 07:15 AM)DragonFury Wrote: $6.5 million of his 2019 salary is guaranteed. He can go to any team for vet minimum and a decent signing bonus and still make plenty of money.

That's his dead cap figure. That's the pro-rated part of his signing bonus. His 2019 salary figure is closer to 14 million I believe. Either way, it's not like he'll be getting game checks this year. He's rich enough to not care but as they say, you should earn what you can while you can. My guess is that someone will sign him for considerably more than the minimum though so the point is moot.

Yeah, he'll probably get somewhere between 3 - 5.5 mil per year to be the back-up somewhere shortly after he's released. 
Which will add more offset savings to the 9.5 mil the Jags will save if they designate him a post-June 1st release. 

Anyone know for sure that Bortles can go ahead and negotiate/sign with another team if released under that post-June designation?  Pretty sure he can, but not positive.

(03-12-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote: That's his dead cap figure. That's the pro-rated part of his signing bonus. His 2019 salary figure is closer to 14 million I believe. Either way, it's not like he'll be getting game checks this year. He's rich enough to not care but as they say, you should earn what you can while you can. My guess is that someone will sign him for considerably more than the minimum though so the point is moot.

Yeah, he'll probably get somewhere between 3 - 5.5 mil per year to be the back-up somewhere shortly after he's released. 
Which will add more offset savings to the 9.5 mil the Jags will save if they designate him a post-June 1st release. 

Anyone know for sure that Bortles can go ahead and negotiate/sign with another team if released under that post-June designation?  Pretty sure he can, but not positive.

He can.

(03-12-2019, 06:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 07:15 AM)DragonFury Wrote: $6.5 million of his 2019 salary is guaranteed. He can go to any team for vet minimum and a decent signing bonus and still make plenty of money.

His current cap hit is $21 million. His dead cap hit is $16.5 million. That's $10 million signing bonus plus the aforementioned $6.5 million in guaranteed salary for 2019.

They rolled the dice on BB, they got snake eyes, I don't blame them a bit for taking a shot on Foles. At least they are trying.

(03-13-2019, 01:55 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote: That's his dead cap figure. That's the pro-rated part of his signing bonus. His 2019 salary figure is closer to 14 million I believe. Either way, it's not like he'll be getting game checks this year. He's rich enough to not care but as they say, you should earn what you can while you can. My guess is that someone will sign him for considerably more than the minimum though so the point is moot.

His current cap hit is $21 million. His dead cap hit is $16.5 million. That's $10 million signing bonus plus the aforementioned $6.5 million in guaranteed salary for 2019.

That's if it's a pre-June 1st cut. If it's post-June 1st, the hit goes to 11.5 (which is the pro-rated signing bonus + the guaranteed portion which accounts for the difference). My understanding is guaranteed money is paid upfront so he's already been paid for that. His 2019 salary would have been 14 million if he was on the team in 2019.  If he doesn't sign anywhere, it's not like the Jags will be giving him game checks. Thus, he'd be a moron to sit out 2019 and forego a year of earnings he could be making.

I think it's unlikely for the Jags to re-sign him since he'll probably get an offer above the league minimum.

(03-13-2019, 06:26 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 01:55 AM)DragonFury Wrote: His current cap hit is $21 million. His dead cap hit is $16.5 million. That's $10 million signing bonus plus the aforementioned $6.5 million in guaranteed salary for 2019.

That's if it's a pre-June 1st cut. If it's post-June 1st, the hit goes to 11.5 (which is the pro-rated signing bonus + the guaranteed portion which accounts for the difference). My understanding is guaranteed money is paid upfront so he's already been paid for that. His 2019 salary would have been 14 million if he was on the team in 2019.  If he doesn't sign anywhere, it's not like the Jags will be giving him game checks. Thus, he'd be a moron to sit out 2019 and forego a year of earnings he could be making.

I think it's unlikely for the Jags to re-sign him since he'll probably get an offer above the league minimum.

I have trouble following what you're trying to say here because the numbers don't make sense.

Bortles' cap hit for 2019 is $21 million, that's $5 million prorated signing bonus and $16 million salary of which $6.5 million is guaranteed. If we cut him right now his prorated signing bonus from 2020 comes forward to 2019 making his dead cap hit $5M + $5M + $6.5M = $16.5 million.

Difference is, that 6.5 million has offset language so every dollar he makes in salary in 2019 is subtracted from that number. If he's cut right now and he signs with another team for 4 million in salary his dead cap hit for the Jaguars also drops by 4 million but he still makes 6.5 million in total.

The only way he doesn't make that 6.5 million is he restructured his contract with the Jaguars. Hence my original comment saying he'd be a moron if he restructured his current contract.

(03-13-2019, 06:46 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:26 AM)hb1148 Wrote: That's if it's a pre-June 1st cut. If it's post-June 1st, the hit goes to 11.5 (which is the pro-rated signing bonus + the guaranteed portion which accounts for the difference). My understanding is guaranteed money is paid upfront so he's already been paid for that. His 2019 salary would have been 14 million if he was on the team in 2019.  If he doesn't sign anywhere, it's not like the Jags will be giving him game checks. Thus, he'd be a moron to sit out 2019 and forego a year of earnings he could be making.

I have trouble following what you're trying to say here because the numbers don't make sense.

Bortles' cap hit for 2019 is $21 million, that's $5 million prorated signing bonus and $16 million salary of which $6.5 million is guaranteed. If we cut him right now his prorated signing bonus from 2020 comes forward to 2019 making his dead cap hit $5M + $5M + $6.5M = $16.5 million.

Difference is, that 6.5 million has offset language so every dollar he makes in salary in 2019 is subtracted from that number. If he's cut right now and he signs with another team for 4 million in salary his dead cap hit for the Jaguars also drops by 4 million but he still makes 6.5 million in total.

The only way he doesn't make that 6.5 million is he restructured his contract with the Jaguars. Hence my original comment saying he'd be a moron if he restructured his current contract.

Maybe it's semantics. Figures aside, what I'm saying is that he's already been paid his guaranteed salary (or will be on his release) so he's not going to be getting the extra game checks he COULD earn if he's on another roster next year.

(03-13-2019, 07:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:46 AM)DragonFury Wrote: I have trouble following what you're trying to say here because the numbers don't make sense.

Maybe it's semantics. Figures aside, what I'm saying is that he's already been paid his guaranteed salary (or will be on his release) so he's not going to be getting the extra game checks he COULD earn if he's not on a roster next year.

He has yet not been paid the $6.5 million for 2019. Due to the offsets, if he signs with another team for $6.5 million or less (or doesn't sign with anyone), he will get paid $6.5 million guaranteed. The amount the new team pays will be subtracted from the amount the Jags pay him. The only way he can earn more than $6.5 million in 2019 is if a team decides to pay him more than $6.5 million, which would be unlikely. So there really isn't any incentive for him to restructure. I would imagine that he will sign with a team for league minimum.

My guess is that he ends up in Tampa.

(03-13-2019, 10:04 AM)Gettin\ Jaggy with it Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 07:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Maybe it's semantics. Figures aside, what I'm saying is that he's already been paid his guaranteed salary (or will be on his release) so he's not going to be getting the extra game checks he COULD earn if he's not on a roster next year.

He has yet not been paid the $6.5 million for 2019. Due to the offsets, if he signs with another team for $6.5 million or less (or doesn't sign with anyone), he will get paid $6.5 million guaranteed. The amount the new team pays will be subtracted from the amount the Jags pay him. The only way he can earn more than $6.5 million in 2019 is if a team decides to pay him more than $6.5 million, which would be unlikely. So there really isn't any incentive for him to restructure. I would imagine that he will sign with a team for league minimum.

The articles I've read say that Bortles' guaranteed money for the rest of his contract will have already been paid or will be paid when he's cut but the point about the offset language is well taken, I stand corrected. It actually makes it more likely he would be willing to play for the league minimum somewhere.

The prorated 10 million signing bonus makes it too difficult to restructure.
That 10 million will count against the cap regardless of what the team does.

He is either cut as a 6/1 designate for dead cap hits of 11.5 in 2019 (6.5 guaranteed 2019 salary + 5 prorated signing bonus 2018) and 5 (5 prorated signing bonus 2020) in 2020, of which up to 6.5 can be offset if signed with a new team
or
Traded for a dead cap hit of 10 (5 prorated sign bonus 2018 + 5 prorated sign bonus 2019)

This should all occur before 3/17 when his roster bonus kicks in.

(03-11-2019, 10:36 PM)newporttom Wrote: If I was his agent, my first call would be to Arizona.  Second call to Miami.

yeah maybe Tampa bay also. Or go backup for Pats,Packers, or something idk haha.
No Fun

Bortles should go be a backup for the Browns for the minimum. OBJ's reaction to Bortles passes would be hilarious.