Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This FO is horrible!!

I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hey, everyone, look at me. My whiny argument is so special that it requires its own thread.

(03-11-2019, 08:23 PM)PAJag Wrote: I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

Why do some Jags fans get angry when the team gets better?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-11-2019, 08:41 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:23 PM)PAJag Wrote: I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

Why do some Jags fans get angry when the team gets better?
It’s not that I’m terribly pissed that we got foles it’s that we litterly overpaid on purpose! And the fact we just cut players at lest get like a 6th round pick something like cmon. I watch teams dump scrubs for picks all the time the eagles are notorious for it. Feeley, Kolb, Bradford, Byron maxwell, micheal Bennett etc and we never can get anything just blows my mind.

Dante Fowler?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I just can’t think of a time in recent history where I thought to myself wow we really got a bargain. Weather in free agency or trade we always overpay and get bad value.

You have a point, but not much we can do about it now except hope that Foles is great for us.

(03-11-2019, 08:56 PM)PAJag Wrote: I just can’t think of a time in recent history where I thought to myself wow we really got a bargain. Weather in free agency or trade we always overpay and get bad value.

For every Patriots team, there has to be a Jaguars.

(03-11-2019, 08:50 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: Dante Fowler?

Although I’m happy we did was at the time as well I feel like other FO could have gotten more I’ve watched the eagles dump crap on teams for more. And the leverage was if he walks you get the comp pick anyway

(03-11-2019, 08:58 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:50 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: Dante Fowler?

Although I’m happy we did was at the time as well I feel like other FO could have gotten more I’ve watched the eagles dump crap on teams for more. And the leverage was if he walks you get the comp pick anyway
Feel however you want. His 1 year contract shows that even the team that traded for him still wants him to prove himself....m which limits value.

(03-11-2019, 08:56 PM)PAJag Wrote: I just can’t think of a time in recent history where I thought to myself wow we really got a bargain. Weather in free agency or trade we always overpay and get bad value.

Everyone overpays in free agency...that's just the way it goes in the NFL. It's pretty rare that you will ever get a bargain on the free agent market.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

You mean like getting a 6th for Gabbert, a 5th for Monroe, and a 3 and a 5 for Fowler?

You mean getting a former Pro Bowl, Super Bowl MVP at a mid level starting salary?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Right. Foles contract puts him at 11 as of the moment he signs .... 11th highest contract. It's a middle of the road contract for a middle of the road player. Lower than players like Flacco, Stafford, Alex Smith, Cousins, Garoppolo, and Carr..... If you're unaware, most of those players have never gone to a super bowl, much less been named MVP.

Dunno why people are complaining about salary. It's pretty middle of the pack for a middle of the pack QB. Sounds about right. Guess it does sound like a lot when you phrase in the contract/bonus total.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM by sfljaguarsfan.)

Foles got about mid range nfl QB money. He's been that or better  What's the problem ??????

What ever we paid for Calais Campbell was a bargain in my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 09:57 PM by PAJag.)

(03-11-2019, 09:35 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:

Foles got about mid range nfl QB money. He's been that or better  What's the problem ??????

The problem is we had all the leverage it’s been reported we overpaid on purpose so that he would get the respect of a franchise QB in the locker room. I think he would of gotten allot more “respect” in the locker room if they told them he took a pay cut to come here cause he wants to win a Super Bowl. Now your asking guys like Calais to restructure and take pay cuts when you admitted you just overpaid on purpose? I don’t think Tom Brady has a problem commanding respect he takes massive pay cuts. Like I said I’m not mad we got foles I was warming up to bringing him in for around 18 a year and be able to get out of it after a year or two for a rookie we drafted this year or if just didn’t work out. People have to remember his still unproven outside of philly or for an entire season so you should be getting discounts for that.

This also pretty much cements that jack is gone next year or they dump another key defensive price to keep him.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 10:00 PM by SCJagFan.)

(03-11-2019, 09:53 PM)PAJag Wrote: The problem is we had all the leverage it’s been reported we overpaid on purpose so that he would get the respect of a franchise QB in the locker room. I think he would of gotten allot more “respect” in the locker room if they told them he took a pay cut to come here cause he wants to win a Super Bowl. Now your asking guys like Calais to restructure and take pay cuts when you admitted you just overpaid on purpose? I don’t think Tom Brady has a problem commanding respect he takes massive pay cuts. Like I said I’m not mad we got foles I was warming up to bringing him in for around 18 a year and be able to get out of it after a year or two for a rookie we drafted this year or if just didn’t work out. People have to remember his still unproven outside of philly or for an entire season so you should be getting discounts for that.

You clearly have no idea how free agency works in the NFL. Players don't give "discounts" on big money contracts..especially ones that may only get one shot a huge pay day.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(03-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Yea SCJagFan Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 09:53 PM)PAJag Wrote: The problem is we had all the leverage it’s been reported we overpaid on purpose so that he would get the respect of a franchise QB in the locker room. I think he would of gotten allot more “respect” in the locker room if they told them he took a pay cut to come here cause he wants to win a Super Bowl. Now your asking guys like Calais to restructure and take pay cuts when you admitted you just overpaid on purpose? I don’t think Tom Brady has a problem commanding respect he takes massive pay cuts. Like I said I’m not mad we got foles I was warming up to bringing him in for around 18 a year and be able to get out of it after a year or two for a rookie we drafted this year or if just didn’t work out. People have to remember his still unproven outside of philly or for an entire season so you should be getting discounts for that.

You clearly have no idea how free agency works in the NFL.
I do know how it works there was no market for foles to be a starter other than Jacksonville nobody is gonna pay someone 18 million to be a backup qb like I said it’s been reported by multiple outlets they overpaid on purpose.

Obviously the Jaguars have made their fair share of mistakes.  However, many of the things being said here are unfair, misleading or outright false.  It's false that we would have gotten a third rounder for Fowler as a comp pick.  The determination of comp picks is based at the team level and considers everyone you gained versus lost in free agency.  Keep in mind cutting people (Jackson, Gipson, Parnell, Hyde, etc.) don't count on the "lost" side.  We just signed Foles.  We are going to be on the plus side of free agency.  As such, we would have gotten NOTHING if we had held onto Fowler and let him go in free agency.  A third round pick was great compensation considering he was only under contract for a part of a year and was not in our future plans.

As far as trades, I can ensure you that the Jaguars offered the players up.  They just didn't get any bites.  I know trades sometimes seem strange, but that's the NFL.  Why did the Jaguars get a draft pick for Luke Bowanko but not Malik Jackson?  One of the things you have to remember is salary.  Malik Jackson had a $15 million salary.  If you trade for him, you get him for that salary.  If you wait, like the Eagles did, you can sign him for LESS MONEY and NOT GIVE UP A DRAFT PICK.  Why would a team trade for him!?!?!  Big names don't necessarily generate the biggest trade value.  Caldwell has gotten trade value for some of "scrubs" too (Luke, Bowkanko, D'Anthony Smith, Chris Smith, etc.) as well as some big name guys who we no longer wanted (Blane Gabbert, Julius Thomas, etc.).  On the acquisition side, I think getting Macell Dareus for a 5th rounder was a steal.

As for Foles, time will tell.  You pay top dollar for anyone in free agency.  That being said, we needed a quarterback and he was the best free agent.  The other option would be the draft, but it's a risk.  We likely would have had to trade up (perhaps at a very steep price) to get one of the top quarterbacks.  You can't force teams to trade or they may trade with someone else.  If we didn't have Foles and didn't get a top quarterback in the draft, we would be royally screwed.  Also keep in mind that rookie quarterbacks rarely do much in the NFL.  We would largely be writing off the 2019 season if we went that route.  Also keep in mind that even highly rated college prospects fail roughly 50% of the time when trying to make it in the NFL.  Foles is a gamble, but relying on the draft was likely a bigger gamble.  Only time will tell which path was right.