Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This FO is horrible!!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM by Jay Carter 904.)

(03-12-2019, 06:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:49 PM)PAJag Wrote: It’s not that I’m terribly pissed that we got foles it’s that we litterly overpaid on purpose! And the fact we just cut players at lest get like a 6th round pick something like cmon. I watch teams dump scrubs for picks all the time the eagles are notorious for it. Feeley, Kolb, Bradford, Byron maxwell, micheal Bennett etc and we never can get anything just blows my mind.

I understand what you're saying, but the fact is, if we had lowballed the guy or otherwise taken advantage of the limited market this year we would have brought other teams into the picture.   One of the major reasons we had limited competition is because we were obviously willing to outbid everyone else, and the other teams knew it.  

Plus, consider this: Foles paid $2 million to opt out of a $20 million contract.   That cost him $22 million: the $20 million he opted out of, and the $2 million he added back to opt out of it.  How did he know he was going to get a better deal than that?  He had to know.  

It all adds up.  We were going to get Nick Foles, and we were going to make sure no other teams got into the picture.   So we offered him a respectable deal for a starting QB, and we got our guy.

I respect your post....

But....

Looking at the other teams around the league and their direction and situation, what other team would have really bid on Foles? Cincy maybe? Naw, his market was slim to none. We overpaid.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2019, 08:58 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:50 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: Dante Fowler?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Although I’m happy we did was at the time as well I feel like other FO could have gotten more I’ve watched the eagles dump crap on teams for more. And the leverage was if he walks you get the comp pick anyway

They got a pick for Gabbert. Your arguments are toast considering.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-12-2019, 11:53 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I understand what you're saying, but the fact is, if we had lowballed the guy or otherwise taken advantage of the limited market this year we would have brought other teams into the picture.   One of the major reasons we had limited competition is because we were obviously willing to outbid everyone else, and the other teams knew it.  

Plus, consider this: Foles paid $2 million to opt out of a $20 million contract.   That cost him $22 million: the $20 million he opted out of, and the $2 million he added back to opt out of it.  How did he know he was going to get a better deal than that?  He had to know.  

It all adds up.  We were going to get Nick Foles, and we were going to make sure no other teams got into the picture.   So we offered him a respectable deal for a starting QB, and we got our guy.

I respect your post....

But....

Looking at the other teams around the league and their direction and situation, what other team would have really bid on Foles? Cincy maybe? Naw, his market was slim to none. We over payed.

Did they really overpay though? Or was it just them trying to keep up with the current going rate in the NFL? It's hard to be too down and out by his contract when you realize Cousins, Smith, Flacco and Carr are all making more than him in 2019. Give or take. 

I think he's maybe the 15th or 16th highest paid starter now in 2019. So, basically we're paying a guy that's looked respectable over the last two years a middle of the pack contract. I don't know if he'll work out here or not. Remains to be seen. 

We can only hope the front office knows what it's doing. It's a nice gesture considering they [BLEEP] up colossally by doubling down on Bortles last year while missing out on opportunities to draft guys like Watson and Mahomes to replace him for the long haul. 

Foles could potentially rectify that mistake and all will be forgiven. But I have my doubts as most of us do on here. The offense simply has so much left to be desired. And I don't get that Franchise QB vibe from Foles. He's a fairly accurate passer. But he needs a lot of help on the outside, over the middle and in pass protection. It'll be interesting.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-11-2019, 08:41 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:23 PM)PAJag Wrote: I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

Why do some Jags fans get angry when the team gets better?

Because we do so at the expense of the future of the franchise? There's two sides to that coin, of course. If we had drafted better talent in years prior, we wouldn't have to continually break the bank on day one of FA. If we drafted better talent, we could afford to trade players and recoup value. If we had deeper roster depth, we could allow players to play out the duration of their contracts, and get comp picks when they depart in FA.

I'm glad they did something, but did the FO paint us into a corner with that contract? We've already had to jettison some guys to make room for this deal - which guys in the future will be sent packing because they are no longer affordable?

(03-12-2019, 08:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:41 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Why do some Jags fans get angry when the team gets better?
This is what pisses me off the most.  The team got better bs.  What's the record and playoff scores for next yr since ur crystal ball tells u the team is better now.  Stop assuming stuff that makes ZERO sense ppl.  We got better why, how cuz Foles won the SB 2 yrs ago when wentz got hurt.  Cost me my fantasy sb with him n ab going down that yr but stop reaching yall

The team got better because the QB position got better. If you can't see that, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to make the argument that it's a wash because of the cuts we made on defense then I'd disagree but at least you'd have a point.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

$22 Million for a guy that has won a SB, beaten Brady, and 2 years in a row has come in for the Eagles off the pine and played well beating some good teams to carry them to postseason success. This team is coming up on a cap crunch when its young core needs to be paid; a rookie was not going to take this team the distance, Foles just has to come in and be competent enough that teams can't load the box against Fournette every play. If he hands the ball off, doesn't turn it over, and converts 3rd down we're set for another deep playoff run. Considering the price of other QB's around the league he's a bargain; also we don't know what figures the Dolphins and Giants had preliminary discussions with him about.. we can say "but we were the only team in on him, why overpay" but in reality we don't know if that's true, we may have been the only SERIOUS team in on him for his pricetag (and last offseason they said 20$-22$ million annually was the minimum Foles was looking for.) if you had told me last offseason that the Jags could get Foles for that pricetag and wouldn't have to give up a draft pick in a trade id've called you crazy.

This is a good draft for developmental QB's, the Jags now don't have to overpay in the draft on an enigma. They can get a guy in the mid rounds and have him hold a clipboard for 2-3 years as he adjusts to the nfl and the speed of the pro game. Next year if the team stays healthy and Foles doesn't implode like he did under Jeff Fisher, we won't be picking high enough to be in on that "oh so amazing class of QB's" so we'd have to overpay in terms of draft picks again and deplete the replenishment of the roster going forward, to get another enigma that we don't know for certain will work out.

Foles knows the offense already and has played in it for 2 years and played WELL. I think that Dede, Lee & Chark will all take a step forward now that they have a QB who can hit them in stride. Fournette will be happy not running into 9 man boxes EVERY play (just like half now lol). Foles presence alone elevates our entire offense, if we can stay healthy and add a few guys on offense then we could be really dangerous next season!

I hope they have a backup plan for when he inevitably gets hurt though. If the rest of the team stays healthy and he doesn't ... well we're back to square one lol.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:53 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(03-12-2019, 12:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 08:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: This is what pisses me off the most.  The team got better bs.  What's the record and playoff scores for next yr since ur crystal ball tells u the team is better now.  Stop assuming stuff that makes ZERO sense ppl.  We got better why, how cuz Foles won the SB 2 yrs ago when wentz got hurt.  Cost me my fantasy sb with him n ab going down that yr but stop reaching yall

The team got better because the QB position got better. If you can't see that, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to make the argument that it's a wash because of the cuts we made on defense then I'd disagree but at least you'd have a point.

I knew we would release those players and actually have been myself for 6 months playing madden trying to play around in my spare time.  Not surprised at all and is exactly what I have been doing in the game world.  Foles signing sucks because just as I argued before.  No OL, TE in last years draft and now we are here again drinking the koolaid because we have Foles.  Now lets get OL TE and championship.  The FO has been dumb for the past year plus in the offseason but I guess since everyone hated BB then this is heading us in the right direction.  We had horrid playcalling last year and now are revamping the playbook.  Its like when ppl called these things out we were looked at as dumb or BB supporters but now when they do it, its genius.  Stop drinking the koolaid and use your Football Common Sense. I know common sense isn't common but I have more faith in Jags fans over others.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM by Jay Carter 904.)

(03-12-2019, 12:52 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote: The team got better because the QB position got better. If you can't see that, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to make the argument that it's a wash because of the cuts we made on defense then I'd disagree but at least you'd have a point.

I knew we would release those players and actually have been myself for 6 months playing madden trying to play around in my spare time.  Not surprised at all and is exactly what I have been doing in the game world.  Foles signing sucks because just as I argued before.  No OL, TE in last years draft and now we are here again drinking the koolaid because we have Foles.  Now lets get OL TE and championship.  The FO has been dumb for the past year plus in the offseason but I guess since everyone hated BB then this is heading us in the right direction.  We had horrid playcalling last year and now are revamping the playbook.  Its like when ppl called these things out we were looked at as dumb or BB supporters but now when they do it, its genius.  Stop drinking the koolaid and use your Football Common Sense. I know common sense isn't common but I have more faith in Jags fans over others.

OMG!

I've been saying this for so long. 

Thank you sir.

Most fans and the MB has been drinking that media kool-aid for real. Local radio, national syndicates, Johnny Johnny, etc. Everyone drunk off that bs Kool-aid.

Just like Bortles, Foles is gonna be dead in the water if they dont get him some MAJOR help.
#iamlegend

(03-12-2019, 12:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote: The team got better because the QB position got better. If you can't see that, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to make the argument that it's a wash because of the cuts we made on defense then I'd disagree but at least you'd have a point.

Preach!

I simply don't understand the grumbling with Foles. For years, people have been saying we need to dump Bortles, and get someone else. Now we do, and many of those complainers aren't satisfied.

Foles' salary is in the middle of the league. He's a quarterback that (many say) ranks in the middle of the league. I actually dispute that. I think Nick is a a high top ten QB == if he has the right players around him. So for the Jags, they need to use as many as their picks as they can to draft weapons and build the OL. It's easier to do that now that the first pick won't be going to draft a QB. We can draft that TE from Iowa. Or a great OT. We can get a RB with one of those third round picks, and with the second and third, we can draft WRs and TEs. Our OL really was actually pretty decent when they were healthy.

So in order to use more "Football common sense" we should start playing Madden?

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM by SeldomRite.)

(03-12-2019, 02:14 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I simply don't understand the grumbling with Foles. For years, people have been saying we need to dump Bortles, and get someone else. Now we do, and many of those complainers aren't satisfied.

Foles' salary is in the middle of the league. He's a quarterback that (many say) ranks in the middle of the league. I actually dispute that. I think Nick is a a high top ten QB == if he has the right players around him. So for the Jags, they need to use as many as their picks as they can to draft weapons and build the OL. It's easier to do that now that the first pick won't be going to draft a QB.  We can draft that TE from Iowa. Or a great OT.  We can get a RB with one of those third round picks, and with the second and third, we can draft WRs and TEs.  Our OL really was actually pretty decent when they were healthy.

My problem with the Foles signing is tying up franchise QB money in the latest Matt Flynn.

People wanted to get rid of Bortles for the next Patrick Mahomes, not a slightly less limited version of Bortles that can't run. If this move means the Jaguars pass on yet another franchise QB then it was a horrible move. The team needs to find management that can identify franchise quarterbacks in the draft.

(03-12-2019, 02:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 02:14 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I simply don't understand the grumbling with Foles. For years, people have been saying we need to dump Bortles, and get someone else. Now we do, and many of those complainers aren't satisfied.

Foles' salary is in the middle of the league. He's a quarterback that (many say) ranks in the middle of the league. I actually dispute that. I think Nick is a a high top ten QB == if he has the right players around him. So for the Jags, they need to use as many as their picks as they can to draft weapons and build the OL. It's easier to do that now that the first pick won't be going to draft a QB.  We can draft that TE from Iowa. Or a great OT.  We can get a RB with one of those third round picks, and with the second and third, we can draft WRs and TEs.  Our OL really was actually pretty decent when they were healthy.

My problem with the Foles signing is tying up franchise QB money in the latest Matt Flynn.

People wanted to get rid of Bortles for the next Patrick Mahomes, not a slightly less limited version of Bortles that can't run. If this move means the Jaguars pass on yet another franchise QB then it was a horrible move. The team needs to find management that can identify franchise quarterbacks in the draft.
I don't disagree but this is by far the hardest thing to do in all of sports. What management team consistently does this? There really isn't one.

I understand what you are saying but.....

There were always two different groups. Those who know football and saw the strengths and weaknesses of last season, and those who just wanted BB5 out cause they needed someone to blame and watched that one piece instead of the whole board.  

You cant group us together. The Foles signing only looks good if the pieces around him are stellar. And we aint got that.
#iamlegend

(03-12-2019, 02:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 02:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: My problem with the Foles signing is tying up franchise QB money in the latest Matt Flynn.

I don't disagree but this is by far the hardest thing to do in all of sports. What management team consistently does this? There really isn't one.

Yes, it does seem to be quite difficult, but what are these guys being paid millions of dollars to do if not identify QB talent? So far Caldwell had shown he can't do it. He should be gone after this baffling Foles move, but it is such a bad deal he probably bought himself an extra year since it'll be hard to convince a new GM to come in 2020 with an albatross QB tied around their neck because of how foolishly the contact was created.

Completely agree.
#iamlegend

I think I still like this front office. I'm a little on the fence though since Coughlin came on board since it's tough to nail down which guys are influencing which picks the most.

I like how they aren't afraid to move on from guys with big salaries and I think its a trend that will serve them well in the end.

I like that they employ some money and contract legalise specialists that seem to be very smart with contract structures.

I like Dave's ability to mine starters in the mid rounds. Wish he'd have hit on more early picks, but...

I'd have done different things with the Smoot and Bryan picks, but those guys could really show up this year. We'll see.

If this F.O. is able to round out this offense during by May with a viable starting combo at RT/RG, a stud TE and a pass catching C.o.P. running back, I'll be a happy Jags fan.  Clearly they need a few other things too, but just those four will renew my optimism about competing for the division.

(03-12-2019, 02:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: ...
The team needs to find management that can identify franchise quarterbacks in the draft.

Signed: 

24 NFL teams every single year

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 03:28 PM by JagFanFirst.)

There's no Mahomes in this draft--nothing even close. Haskins and Murray will be gone by the time we pick. And even if they were available, neither has thrown a pass in the NFL. So there are more unknowns with them than a guy who just a year ago was the Super Bowl MVP.  You also seem to say that Foles is a less limited version of Bortles. Do you really believe that?  Without Foles, the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl, or go to the playoffs last year. Remember, that team, like the Jags, was devastated by injuries. Foles made an injury-laden team better. Bortles made our defense-laden team much worse. That's the difference, if you ask me.

(03-12-2019, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think I still like this front office. I'm a little on the fence though since Coughlin came on board since it's tough to nail down which guys are influencing which picks the most.

I like how they aren't afraid to move on from guys with big salaries and I think its a trend that will serve them well in the end.

I like that they employ some money and contract legalise specialists that seem to be very smart with contract structures.

I like Dave's ability to mine starters in the mid rounds. Wish he'd have hit on more early picks, but...

I'd have done different things with the Smoot and Bryan picks, but those guys could really show up this year. We'll see.

If this F.O. is able to round out this offense during by May with a viable starting combo at RT/RG, a stud TE and a pass catching C.o.P. running back, I'll be a happy Jags fan.  Clearly they need a few other things too, but just those four will renew my optimism about competing for the division.

(03-12-2019, 02:33 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: ...
The team needs to find management that can identify franchise quarterbacks in the draft.

Signed: 

24 NFL teams every single year

The biggest mistake this team made was holding onto Bortles--and then giving him a contract for more years. He's had two decent seasons--one when he threw for 35 TDs in mostly garbage time, and 2017 - where he benefitted from a team that no injuries and a defense that lead the league in scoring.

I agree this FO is trash and can't wait for them to get kicked to the curb. I honestly think Foles will be less than ideal and get us a top 10 spot next year to get a QBOTF. So win-win-win.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 03:46 PM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(03-12-2019, 12:10 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:41 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Why do some Jags fans get angry when the team gets better?

Because we do so at the expense of the future of the franchise? There's two sides to that coin, of course. If we had drafted better talent in years prior, we wouldn't have to continually break the bank on day one of FA. If we drafted better talent, we could afford to trade players and recoup value. If we had deeper roster depth, we could allow players to play out the duration of their contracts, and get comp picks when they depart in FA.

I'm glad they did something, but did the FO paint us into a corner with that contract? We've already had to jettison some guys to make room for this deal - which guys in the future will be sent packing because they are no longer affordable?

I mean, that's literally exactly what's happening with the exiting FAs they're being replaced by guys we drafted. Hell Malik was already becoming a rotational player with Taven Bryan starting by the end of last year, no?

I'm pretty sure all 32 teams have been looking for a Patrick Mahomes since the league started lol