Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Philosophy (merged)

(03-07-2019, 06:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: With the apparently impending signing of Nick Foles, and the hiring of his old QB coach to be the offensive coordinator, a lot of people are alleging that we need to have the same type of offensive system that they ran in Philly that made Foles so successful there.  

I think this question would drive a lot of the decisions about what players to draft that fit such a system.  For example, if we pick a RB late in the draft, what type skill set should that RB have that would fit the system we plan to run.  If we plan to be running a lot of play-action, does that mean we need a RB who can run between the tackles?  Or does it matter?  

I know New England tries to get players that fit their system.   So what is our system going to look like and what kind of players would fit that system?

I think your answer can be found in the 2017 Stats:

Rushing 
L. Blount - 776 yards
J. Ajayi - 408 yards
C. Clement + Smallwood - 495 yards

Receiving
Ertz - 824 yards 
Burton - 248 yards
Celek - 130 yards
A. Jeffrey - 789 yards
Agohlar - 768 yards
Smallwood + Clement - 226 yards

Conclusion
Blount runs between the tackles (like Fournette) -- lot's of play action 
25% Run balance of a quick back (Corey Grant if healthy)
The Primary TE was favored by the QB and the TE total was ~ 1200 yards (2019 Jags 1st or 2nd round Draft Selection)
A couple moderate level WRs totaling 1500 yards (we have average WRs so that should work)
** Another KEY --- the Eagles somehow adjusted well to 2 key Oline injuries in 2017 ***

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-07-2019, 12:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote: In my opinion, our system is perfect the way it is. Fix the TE position and it could be dominant. We also need to have a coaching staff that is willing to lean on an RB that has the hot hand. No more forced carries for 1 yard and a cloud of dust (Looking at you Fournette). Our stable of backs is a good mix as neither one is good at everything. I loved what was happening before Grant got hurt. This will also open up the WRs.

True.  We have needed a receiving threat at TE since i cant even remember.  We have a system that works if used correctly, which was my biggest gripe against the OC and the playcalling.  We needed to utilize the TE like most competent QBs do to get 5 or more yards and create better down and distance.  All we did was run crossers, when we actually decided to pass, or just run run run.  I refuse to agree that was all Blake's fault but we need to do better, ALOT BETTER, with the system we have.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(03-08-2019, 01:25 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 12:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote: In my opinion, our system is perfect the way it is. Fix the TE position and it could be dominant. We also need to have a coaching staff that is willing to lean on an RB that has the hot hand. No more forced carries for 1 yard and a cloud of dust (Looking at you Fournette). Our stable of backs is a good mix as neither one is good at everything. I loved what was happening before Grant got hurt. This will also open up the WRs.

True.  We have needed a receiving threat at TE since i cant even remember.  We have a system that works if used correctly, which was my biggest gripe against the OC and the playcalling.  We needed to utilize the TE like most competent QBs do to get 5 or more yards and create better down and distance.  All we did was run crossers, when we actually decided to pass, or just run run run.  I refuse to agree that was all Blake's fault but we need to do better, ALOT BETTER, with the system we have.

The system we have??

They haven’t even made the playbook yet. There is no system. It will be new.

(03-08-2019, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 01:25 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: True.  We have needed a receiving threat at TE since i cant even remember.  We have a system that works if used correctly, which was my biggest gripe against the OC and the playcalling.  We needed to utilize the TE like most competent QBs do to get 5 or more yards and create better down and distance.  All we did was run crossers, when we actually decided to pass, or just run run run.  I refuse to agree that was all Blake's fault but we need to do better, ALOT BETTER, with the system we have.

The system we have??

So the existing system that hasn't been replaced by the playbook they haven't made yet...is fine. So, if it is replaced or massaged, does it change the need situation at RB and TE? Seems to me if the Foles thing comes to fruition those two positions become even more important.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-08-2019, 03:57 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The system we have??

So the existing system that hasn't been replaced by the playbook they haven't made yet...is fine. So, if it is replaced or massaged, does it change the need situation at RB and TE? Seems to me if the Foles thing comes to fruition those two positions become even more important.

If we are to assume that the new coordinator will be implementing some of the things that worked well with Foles at QB in philly, then a change of pace running back and a receiving TE will be key additions. 

They were already big needs, but they loom a little larger with Foles in the mix.

(03-08-2019, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 01:25 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: True.  We have needed a receiving threat at TE since i cant even remember.  We have a system that works if used correctly, which was my biggest gripe against the OC and the playcalling.  We needed to utilize the TE like most competent QBs do to get 5 or more yards and create better down and distance.  All we did was run crossers, when we actually decided to pass, or just run run run.  I refuse to agree that was all Blake's fault but we need to do better, ALOT BETTER, with the system we have.

The system we have??

you're right.  I assume they will add more pass plays and routes that can cause more separation than the run run run playbook we have outside of those 4 or 5 passing games they actually called.
Season Tix, Section 409

(03-08-2019, 04:32 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The system we have??

you're right.  I assume they will add more pass plays and routes that can cause more separation than the run run run playbook we have outside of those 4 or 5 passing games they actually called.

Wasn't it reported that they didn't call more complicated routes because they didn't trust Bortles to throw it accurately?

(03-08-2019, 05:20 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 04:32 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: you're right.  I assume they will add more pass plays and routes that can cause more separation than the run run run playbook we have outside of those 4 or 5 passing games they actually called.

Wasn't it reported that they didn't call more complicated routes because they didn't trust Bortles to throw it accurately?

Whatever.  If receivers arent getting open and the routes are being sat on all game.  I wouldnt care if they said Jesus said not to call better routes.  DO SOMETHING....
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019, 11:07 PM by Firesky.)

(03-07-2019, 04:54 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 12:32 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Can you do RPO off an outside zone stretch play?   RPO requires the QB to be looking down field at the receiver while he is deciding whether to let the RB keep the ball.  In a zone stretch play, sure you can do play action, but you can't do RPO.   Am I wrong?

Isn't this an RPO off an outside zone stretch from the Gun?

Idk why it's titled as "outside zone". Just by looking at the play, I'd say No. That's a gap play, the center pulls and they're trying to create a lane in the "B" gap between the LT & LG, the back follows the flow and then makes the cut behind where Kelce led him. Zone schemes are usually 2 linemen executing a combo block, one peeling off and getting to the 2nd level; the idea is to create space and let the back "run to daylight", in a gap scheme you're trying to move the defenders off a spot and the RB runs through it. As lombardi once said "we're trying to get a seal here, and a seal here, and run this play in the ALLEY".
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-07-2019, 09:52 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Philly loves TE's, I think targeting a TE early in the draft will and should be a priority if Foles is signed.

In today's game the TE position is highly prevalent to increase the odds of having a great offense. Give me a great TE, and mediocre RB rather than the other way around. No way the Patriots are as successful without ... the Gronk.

So for the past couple of years (one being highly successful) the Jaguars have had a stout defense although less opportunistic last year. Since Tom Coughlin took over we committed to being a power run offense. After a myriad of injuries we had to rely on some vets off the street and Bortles to pick up the offense. The offense struggled mightily in all areas. Since we brought in Foles are we trying to become a passing offense now? I don't see him succeeding in this offense like he did in Philly. We don't have the caliber of receivers (Ertz, Jeffery, Tate, Aghalor) I'm sure you get the drift. What do we think our focal point on offense will be after FA and the Draft are complete?
No pain, no gain.

(03-12-2019, 09:23 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: So for the past couple of years (one being highly successful) the Jaguars have had a stout defense although less opportunistic last year. Since Tom Coughlin took over we committed to being a power run offense. After a myriad of injuries we had to rely on some vets off the street and Bortles to pick up the offense. The offense struggled mightily in all areas. Since we brought in Foles are we trying to become a passing offense now? I don't see him succeeding in this offense like he did in Philly. We don't have the caliber of receivers (Ertz, Jeffery, Tate, Aghalor) I'm sure you get the drift. What do we think our focal point on offense will be after FA and the Draft are complete?

Hopefully the running game will improve enough so that it will sell play action. We now have a QB who can hit his targets, and the offense won't be handicapped based on mental/accuracy limitations. I'm not expecting to light up the score board, but I don't expect that feeling of dread that occurred in many games last year where we wondered which Blake was going to show up. Foles has a better chance of consistently leading the offense to more than 20 points per game. That's all this defense needs to win most games.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

i hope this does not turn out like Minnesota. Diflipo was calling more pass plays and the head coach wanted run run run so they fired him.

(03-12-2019, 01:06 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: i hope this does not turn out like Minnesota. Diflipo was calling more pass plays and the head coach wanted run run run so they fired him.

Are you just making up stuff to worry about now?  

Marrone and Zimmer are different animals.  I'd not worry about this turning that direction. 
The Jags clearly had sights set on Foles when they hired DeFilippo and the potential for that working out smoothly is far greater than DeFilippo getting canned mid-season over run/pass balance.

(03-12-2019, 01:06 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: i hope this does not turn out like Minnesota. Diflipo was calling more pass plays and the head coach wanted run run run so they fired him.
You mean where Cousins threw for 4,000 yards with 30 TDs and 10 interceptions? Yea.. That sucks.

Vikings went 8-7-1. 6 of their 7 losses were to playoff teams including 2 losses to the Pats and Rams. 

And why is calling more pass plays a bad thing? They have the best receiving duo in the league with Diggs and Thielan. Should they not try to get them the ball?

(03-12-2019, 01:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Are you just making up stuff to worry about now?  

Marrone and Zimmer are different animals.  I'd not worry about this turning that direction. 
The Jags clearly had sights set on Foles when they hired DeFilippo and the potential for that working out smoothly is far greater than DeFilippo getting canned mid-season over run/pass balance.

Well at least Zimmer believed in the forward pass Tongue

(03-12-2019, 01:29 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Are you just making up stuff to worry about now?  

Well at least Zimmer believed in the forward pass Tongue

Zimmer wanted to power run with a crappy interior O-Line. 

DeFilippo wanted to run quick release passes to counter the O-Line issues. 

From Sports Illustrated:

It was just a bad marriage, and as is so often the case, it was no one’s fault, really. Mike Zimmer, a defensive-minded head coach, wanted to run the ball. His new offensive coordinator, John DeFilippo, a young and innovative aerial designer, wanted to throw it. This appeared to create at least a subtle tension early in the season, which grew and became public as losses piled up.

DeFilippo’s reasoning for a pass-heavy approach made sense. Minnesota’s weak interior O-line struggles to get movement on the ground. Instead of ramming it inside, why not feature quicker throws underneath and to the perimeter, where star receivers Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, and even tailback Dalvin Cook, thrive?

Do you think DeFilippo was brought to Jacksonville after such a disagreement only to have the same one with the guy who hired him?  

No. He was brought in because he's good at running an offense that can take advantage of Foles' skillset and not HAVE TO depend so desperately on the run.

(03-12-2019, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:29 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Well at least Zimmer believed in the forward pass Tongue

Zimmer wanted to power run with a crappy interior O-Line. 

From Sports Illustrated:

It was just a bad marriage, and as is so often the case, it was no one’s fault, really. Mike Zimmer, a defensive-minded head coach, wanted to run the ball. His new offensive coordinator, John DeFilippo, a young and innovative aerial designer, wanted to throw it. This appeared to create at least a subtle tension early in the season, which grew and became public as losses piled up.

DeFilippo’s reasoning for a pass-heavy approach made sense. Minnesota’s weak interior O-line struggles to get movement on the ground. Instead of ramming it inside, why not feature quicker throws underneath and to the perimeter, where star receivers Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, and even tailback Dalvin Cook, thrive?

Do you think DeFilippo was brought to Jacksonville after such a disagreement only to have the same one with the guy who hired him?  

No. He was brought in because he's good at running an offense that can take advantage of Foles' skillset and not HAVE TO depend so desperately on the run.

No i think the guy who hired him is a run run run and run some more guy who does not know how to utilize the players he has. I have stated as much many times. I think the coaches cost us more games then the players and that they all should have been fired after the AFCCG. I dont think they would know a forward pass ifn it hit them in the back of the head.

(03-12-2019, 01:41 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Zimmer wanted to power run with a crappy interior O-Line. 

From Sports Illustrated:

No i think the guy who hired him is a run run run and run some more guy who does not know how to utilize the players he has. I have stated as much many times. I think the coaches cost us more games then the players and that they all should have been fired after the AFCCG. I dont think they would know a forward pass ifn it hit them in the back of the head.
Funny enough. I think they do know because Blake has actually done this.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

As an Iowa fan I'd love drafting Hockenson. But the TE position is deep so maybe too high for a TE. But first round OL hasn't exactly been good for us.
No pain, no gain.