Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Philosophy (merged)

(03-14-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't buy the idea that the team had to "dumb down" the playbook for Bortles, at least not the past 2 or 3 seasons.  While he isn't/wasn't a very good QB, he's still pretty intelligent.

They definitely had to remove a large number of route possibilities from the receivers' route tree because Bortles threw so many of them with wild inaccuracy. 

There was a stark difference between what Olson let him do compared to Fisch, and then Hackett ripped even more pages out when he took over for Hackett.  Mitigation of turnovers was the name of the game when handling Blake Bortles - and that involved removing throws he couldn't make from ever being called. 

Foles has a much shorter list of throws that will need to be edited out of the playbook.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2019, 03:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't buy the idea that the team had to "dumb down" the playbook for Bortles, at least not the past 2 or 3 seasons.  While he isn't/wasn't a very good QB, he's still pretty intelligent.

With that being said I like the idea of being "balanced".  I would still focus on being run-first with the ability to open it up passing should teams stack the box.  Once teams are forced to play what I call "honest" (ie. not stacking the box against the run) the run game can be very effective.  The problem wasn't just the QB position, though that was a major portion of it.  Other parts of the problem included ineffective receivers, the lack of good O line play (injuries played a role here) and the lack of a good TE.

One part of the equation has been addressed with signing Nick Foles.  Plug in 1 or 2 good O-linemen, a good hybrid TE and receivers that can get open and not drop passes are the rest of the equation.
What are you basing this off of?

You can watch the games and see that he's not making 2 or 3 reads in a game. You can watch the games and see they run a super simple offense with crossers all the time.

One thing that makes me think that is a video that I saw... I think he was mic'ed up during the game and when he heard the play called he knew that it was going to be a touchdown pass.  Also, contrary to the Madden players here a QB doesn't make "2 or 3 reads" on a play.  It's basically one read and if it's not there there's either an alternate "dump off" or the ball gets thrown away.

The QB often will call two plays in the huddle and when they come to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense, they have the option to check out of the play or audible.  He did do that.

(03-14-2019, 03:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

They definitely had to remove a large number of route possibilities from the receivers' route tree because Bortles threw so many of them with wild inaccuracy. 

There was a stark difference between what Olson let him do compared to Fisch, and then Hackett ripped even more pages out when he took over for Hackett.  Mitigation of turnovers was the name of the game when handling Blake Bortles - and that involved removing throws he couldn't make from ever being called. 

Foles has a much shorter list of throws that will need to be edited out of the playbook.

And you know this how?  There aren't that many different routes that a receiver runs.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-14-2019, 04:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 03:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: What are you basing this off of?

You can watch the games and see that he's not making 2 or 3 reads in a game. You can watch the games and see they run a super simple offense with crossers all the time.

One thing that makes me think that is a video that I saw... I think he was mic'ed up during the game and when he heard the play called he knew that it was going to be a touchdown pass.  Also, contrary to the Madden players here a QB doesn't make "2 or 3 reads" on a play.  It's basically one read and if it's not there there's either an alternate "dump off" or the ball gets thrown away.

The QB often will call two plays in the huddle and when they come to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense, they have the option to check out of the play or audible.  He did do that.

(03-14-2019, 03:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They definitely had to remove a large number of route possibilities from the receivers' route tree because Bortles threw so many of them with wild inaccuracy. 

And you know this how?  There aren't that many different routes that a receiver runs.

There actually are quite a number of routes and variations to them. 
Here's an example that doesn't even include many of the fairly common possibilities for TE and RB:

[Image: Tree%20madness.png]

Bortles threw so many interceptions on out routes under Fisch that Olson completely removed them from the play book. Hackett took it several steps further and also very smartly designed some crossing routes and roll-outs where Blake could identify multiple receivers in one quadrant of the field so he didn't have to scan a wide area to determine who was open.  He'd have a shallow option and a deeper option in identifiable in one "look."  You just don't run such a high number of those plays if your QB is able to throw a wide variety of passes and look off safety coverage in the process. 

I have a high level of confidence that mitigating his weaknesses was a major hindrance to the productivity of the pass game and a major stumbling block for his coordinators.

Be prepared for more of the same from Foles, my friend.

I'm not sure why you all think our WRs are even on the same planet as those on the Eagles.

(03-14-2019, 04:32 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm not sure why you all think our WRs are even on the same planet as those on the Eagles.

They were playing with Blake Bortles for one. 

And they don't need to be world beaters in the scheme Foles thrived in there. There's a high number of quick-hit high percentage pass plays that Blake showed an inability to be consistent with. Not the case at all with Foles. 

He'll make Lee, Chark and Westbrook look better than they did w/ Blake and I'm happy to revisit that statement in October as I'm confident I'm seeing this correctly. 

I'd wager that Lee/Chark/Westbrook - if they all stay healthy at least 14 games each will account for what Jeffrey and Agholor put up last year and they'll probably beat it by a good margin. 

The receivers are NOT the issue. It's the lack of Tight Ends. 

The Jags need their Ertz/Goedert combo and they don't have it.

(03-14-2019, 04:32 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Be prepared for more of the same from Foles, my friend.

I'm not sure why you all think our WRs are even on the same planet as those on the Eagles.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people are acting as if the Eagles receiving core features a combination of Antonio Brown, Odell, and AJ Green. Over the past two seasons the Eagles receiving core has been an average to above average unit, they didn't acquire Golden Tate until midway through last season so their core has consisted of Alshon Jeffery, Zach Ertz, Nelson Agholor, Torrey Smith, Jordan Matthews etc..., Alshon is a nice player but is far from dominant or even consistent, Zach Ertz is an obvious stud, but the rest of their receiving core has been and is underwhelming at best. Thats why they went out and acquired DeSean Jackson, they needed another play maker and a element of explosiveness to their core. A lot of you are acting as if the Jags receiving core is talent-less, I disagree. You can make the argument that both DeDe Westbrook and DJ Chark should've both been first round picks, Keelan Cole definitely should've been drafted, and Marquise Lee has been underrated and under appreciated by this message board for years. I believe there is a significant amount of talent in that core and its been held back by the incompetent play of its QB's for years, if they add a dominant TE prospect like TJ Hockenson look out. The QB play has been so bad around here for years that it's impossible to judge the play of these receivers, now that they have a comptent QB I believe you'll see significant improvement in the production department form this group.

(03-14-2019, 04:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 04:32 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm not sure why you all think our WRs are even on the same planet as those on the Eagles.

They were playing with Blake Bortles for one. 

And they don't need to be world beaters in the scheme Foles thrived in there. There's a high number of quick-hit high percentage pass plays that Blake showed an inability to be consistent with. Not the case at all with Foles. 

He'll make Lee, Chark and Westbrook look better than they did w/ Blake and I'm happy to revisit that statement in October as I'm confident I'm seeing this correctly. 

I'd wager that Lee/Chark/Westbrook - if they all stay healthy at least 14 games each will account for what Jeffrey and Agholor put up last year and they'll probably beat it by a good margin. 

How can you say the receivers are not an issue? I wouldn't have a problem with them drafting two WRs in this draft honestly. As well as 2 TE.

Lee is coming off a brutal knee injury. We have no clue how he is going to bounce back from that injury. Is he even going to be ready for the start of the season? Will he even play again?

Chark is a big question mark still. Flashed some ability to track the deep ball, but we didn't get to see him do much. He's a fingers crossed wait and see.

I'm not worried about Westbrook, he's good and will be fine.

I'd assume they'll add some cheap Vet WR and draft a WR, but besides Westbrook, that whole group will be a huge question mark.

(03-14-2019, 07:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 04:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They were playing with Blake Bortles for one. 

How can you say the receivers are not an issue? I wouldn't have a problem with them drafting two WRs in this draft honestly. As well as 2 TE.

Lee is coming off a brutal knee injury. We have no clue how he is going to bounce back from that injury. Is he even going to be ready for the start of the season? Will he even play again?

Chark is a big question mark still. Flashed some ability to track the deep ball, but we didn't get to see him do much. He's a fingers crossed wait and see.

I'd assume they'll add some cheap Vet WR and draft a WR, but besides Westbrook, that whole group will be a huge question mark.

The thread is about offensive philosophy, no?  

Look at how the eagles produced on offense last season. 
They did not rely heavily upon their receivers. 
The TEs and RBs did the heavy lifting.

Of course we have no "true #1 receiver" (neither do 20 other teams but that's not the point), and of course we need to add another productive chain mover at the position. I'm not saying we're all set there. 

I'm saying the best step forward to taking advantage of Foles skill set and strengths is to fix the line and get a stud TE.

I'd then put rounding out the RB corps and adding a WR next in line. 
I like 4th round WR prospects this time around. Guys like Jakobi Meyers and Keelan Doss or similar.

(03-14-2019, 07:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 04:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They were playing with Blake Bortles for one. 

Thing that WR don't really offer that much position flexibility and variations to deceive defenses and best utilize motion. I'd rather this team get a good stable of TE's. That is the way most of the elite offenses are going. Rams are main exception but I wonder if that will change given the Super Bowl performance.

Its crazy that some people cant be wrong.

Its obvious that the "real" problem on offense is still staring the team right in the face.

TE, WR, OL - Probably in that order.

Dont get me wrong, Foles is a slightly above average QB. So that makes the team a little better. But he still doesnt have the necessary tools to get the job done. And the fact that he really isnt a very mobile guy can work against us because that is an element that has been used for misdirection.

Everyone hates Blake, idk why, buy I get that. But he wasn't the focal part of what was wrong last year. Right now we are trying to put cologne on stank if we dont get some stellar help in here at those 3 positions listed above.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(03-15-2019, 08:22 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Its crazy that some people cant be wrong.

Its obvious that the "real" problem on offense is still staring the team right in the face.

TE, WR, OL - Probably in that order.

Dont get me wrong, Foles is a slightly above average QB. So that makes the team a little better. But he still doesnt have the necessary tools to get the job done. And the fact that he really isnt a very mobile guy can work against us because that is an element that has been used for misdirection.

Everyone hates Blake, idk why, buy I get that. But he wasn't the focal part of what was wrong last year. Right now we are trying to put cologne on stank if we dont get some stellar help in here at those 3 positions listed above.

The thread is about the new offensive philosophy with Flip/Foles.
Some are twisting it into a "draft/FA needs" topic when it's not. 

We should probably just start a "draft needs" thread in the college forum if this is going to be a priority debate. 

Bottom line for me before moving on:

I think Foles and DeFilippo are going to make better use of the Jags offensive roster including the much maligned receiver corps. Fournette may also see a boon of production as a receiving back if he adapts well to the new scheme.
Though he needs help and depth at the spot as well. 

Where we all prioritize receiver in the draft or FA is a different topic really.

(03-15-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think Foles and DeFilippo are going to make better use of the Jags offensive roster including the much maligned receiver corps. Fournette may also see a boon of production as a receiving back if he adapts well to the new scheme.

I would've liked to see what Foles/JDF could do with a Yeldon type receiving back.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(03-15-2019, 10:34 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think Foles and DeFilippo are going to make better use of the Jags offensive roster including the much maligned receiver corps. Fournette may also see a boon of production as a receiving back if he adapts well to the new scheme.

I would've liked to see what Foles/JDF could do with a Yeldon type receiving back.
I think there are plenty of guys in this draft who can fill those shoes.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 03:37 PM by Eric1.)

(03-15-2019, 10:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:34 AM)NCJag Wrote: I would've liked to see what Foles/JDF could do with a Yeldon type receiving back.
I think there are plenty of guys in this draft who can fill those shoes.

Hopefully they'll draft RB Devin Singletary in the 3rd, or 4th round. He'll be the perfect fit for this Offense.

Not a whole lot new added, as it rehashes some of the arguments already stated. But a decent film breakdown of some Foles passes in prior offenses. He seems to have some tendencies to go for a big play at times which can work spectacularly or fall flat.

Marrone on the Foles/DeFilippo offense:

Marrone said the Jaguars’ offense in a very real sense will be Foles’ offense immediately – a relatively unusual situation for a free-agent quarterback joining a new team.

“We have changed some things,” he said. “There are going to be some challenges for Nick and some changes. I can’t speak for what would be subtle and what would be major for him. I’m a coach, so they don’t look like major changes, but when our players report April 15 [for the offseason program] if we handed the playbook out to each player, the player who is going to know the most in that playbook is going to be Nick Foles.

“He’s going to know more because there are things in there that he’s done, and it has been called that way and he’s very comfortable; everyone else is going to have to be learning and catching up to where he is. That’s a unique situation. It’s one that I think helps you.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/league-meet...-defilippo

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM by Dimson.)

(03-26-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Marrone on the Foles/DeFilippo offense:

Marrone said the Jaguars’ offense in a very real sense will be Foles’ offense immediately – a relatively unusual situation for a free-agent quarterback joining a new team.

“We have changed some things,” he said. “There are going to be some challenges for Nick and some changes. I can’t speak for what would be subtle and what would be major for him. I’m a coach, so they don’t look like major changes, but when our players report April 15 [for the offseason program] if we handed the playbook out to each player, the player who is going to know the most in that playbook is going to be Nick Foles.

“He’s going to know more because there are things in there that he’s done, and it has been called that way and he’s very comfortable; everyone else is going to have to be learning and catching up to where he is. That’s a unique situation. It’s one that I think helps you.”

About. [BLEEP]ing. Time.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-26-2019, 09:47 AM)Dimson Wrote:

About. [BLEEP]ing. Time.

Derp Derp Derp

We decided to finally tailor an offense around the QB

Derp Derp Derp

He's been really driving this home which is promising.  

My suspicion is the few changes he's referring to is a bigger under center section of the playbook than the Eagles had to make more use of a power run game and Fournette. 

I actually like that if so. Being able to run spread and switch up to a power game is a nice 1-2 to give teams to think about.

(03-26-2019, 10:13 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 09:47 AM)Dimson Wrote: About. [BLEEP]ing. Time.

Derp Derp Derp

We decided to finally tailor an offense around the QB

Derp Derp Derp

I truly believe if Bortles had a play book soley build around his strengths as a runner, he might still be our QB. He needs more RPO, less traditional pass plays.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]