Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To those of you disappointed by the Foles deal, what would you have done differently?

Don't tell me you'd take Haskins or Murray, because those two players will be gone before the seventh pick. So now what?  Do you trade up to get Haskins? If Foles needs more offensive weapons to succeed, then the same can be said of Haskins.  And yet with a trade, you'd have fewer picks to acquire those players. Sure, you can grab at TE or WR in free agency, but what makes you think the Jags wouldn't overpay for them, like this did for Moncrief?  The fact is, Foles' salary puts him roughly among the top 15 QBs in the league, which, based on his last two seasons, is where he belongs. 

If you discard Foles (and can't get Haskins or Murray), then what?  Do you draft Grier, or Jones with the second pick? What if those guys aren't available? And even if they were, do you feel comfortable starting a second-tier rookie from a bad quarterback class?

And what about free agent quarterbacks? You'd rather have Bridgewater than Foles? How about Tannehill, the guy who we beat last year on his own home field?

What about a trade for a backup quarterback?  What about Nick Mullens, a guy who's TDs and INTs were nearly identical to Bortles? 10-13 vs. 11-13? Who else is available? Tyrod Taylor? Seriously?

Here's what I like about the Foles deal.  Next year, the Jags are going to play the toughest schedule in their history. I can't think of one weak team--even the Jets, with Bell and an improved Darnold, will be tough. But Foles has been through this. He's flourished in one of the toughest media markets in the country.  When he started last year at the end of the season, the Eagles had to win every game to squeak into the playoffs. And they did, with Foles. Plus, since the Jags didn't have to give up any picks to get him, they can use that 1st, that 2nd, and those two 3rds to fill a lot of holes in the offense.

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 12:25 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

I'll be quick..Would've drafted Hayden at TE last year or Will Hernandez to eventually replace Parnell or a TE(Hurst) to actually catch passes in the middle of the field without crossers to move the ball.

I also would've got Tyrann at FS, kept fowler, and drafted either another OL, WR, or went LB with a trade back this year. I wanted GB 12 and 30 round 1 picks for TE and OL and WR with our high second if our record was the same. I knew this QB class would be weak during last years draft, so i wouldnt force a QB pick on us now. Alot of holes would be filled at this point with a base on offense to work with but thats just me. I also wanted teddy last offseason as a backup since Sam Cousins and Teddy were all on the same roster.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 12:38 PM by SeldomRite.)

If I had to sign Foles I'd have made the guaranteed money 30-35 million and the total contact something like 4 years 70 million. Really though I'd rather just work the draft. If there weren't any players I liked enough in the draft I'd have signed on a free agent like tannehill for less than Foles got, or even just ride another year out with Bortles. Yeah yeah, I know the snowflakes would be screaming about it, but I would have kept enough cap space to not have to cut Gipson at least.

(03-13-2019, 12:21 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I'll be quick..Would've drafted Hayden at TE last year or Will Hernandez to eventually replace Parnell or a TE(Hurst)  to actually catch passes in the middle of the field without crossers to move the ball.    

I also would've got Tyrann at FS, kept fowler, and drafted either another OL, WR, or went LB with a trade back this year.  I wanted GB 12 and 30 round 1 picks for TE and OL and WR with our high second if our record was the same.  I knew this QB class would be weak during last years draft, so i wouldnt force a QB pick on us now.  Alot of holes would be filled at this point with a base on offense to work with but thats just me. I also wanted teddy last offseason as a backup since Sam Cousins and Teddy were all on the same roster.
Well thank goodness your not the GM...

1.) Hayden Hurst sucked last year...In 12 games he was 13 catches/163yards and 1 TD...ASJ in 5 games was 11/90 and 1 TD.

2.) Will Hernandez isn't ever going to be a NFL Tackle so you would have replaced AJ Cann...

3.)Fowler + Tyrann contracts both would equal = 28M per year which is 6M more than Foles so we would be even more restricted cap wise...lets assume you could even net Bridgewater for 10M a year.

4.) As for the draft part that can still happen so I won't nitpick it.

So your way would have netted us Bortles/Bridgewater as the QBs....Tyrann at FS...Fowler @ DE...and roughly (14M + 14M + 10M ) - Foles (22M) less cap space....16M less cap space so more cuts would be required...

(03-13-2019, 12:37 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: If I had to sign Foles I'd have made the guaranteed money 30-35 million and the total contact something like 4 years 70 million. Really though I'd rather just work the draft. If there weren't any players I liked enough in the draft I'd have signed on a free agent like tannehill for less than Foles got, or even just ride another year out with Bortles. Yeah yeah, I know the snowflakes would be screaming about it, but I would have kept enough cap space to not have to cut Gipson at least.

With the tougher schedule, it would be difficult to see the team improve on the five wins from last year if Bortles were the starter.  I don't think Tannehill is any better than Bortles. 

I wasn't a fan of losing Gipson (especially to the Texans). But good safties are easier to find that good QBs.

Rode Bortles to a #1 pick and get an actual QB in 2020.

(03-13-2019, 12:51 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Rode Bortles to a #1 pick and get an actual QB in 2020.

Ugh. No. It would be one thing if the entire team was awful, and they just glided to a losing season. But this defense is still top 5 in the league. It would be a shame to waste all that talent, just to tank.

And with only one winning season since 2007, I'm tired of losing. Foles gives us our best chance to win next year, in my opinion. And if he doesn't win, we get a high pick in a good quarterback draft in 2020.

I wouldn't have given him extra money just for the sake of giving him extra money....

(03-13-2019, 01:04 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I wouldn't have given him extra money just for the sake of giving him extra money....

Do we know for certain that there were no other teams in the bidding process? I'll admit, it seems like we gave him more money than necessary, but was there a reason....something that we're not privy to? 

Perhaps we'll know soon when the team does a press conference.

(03-13-2019, 01:10 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 01:04 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I wouldn't have given him extra money just for the sake of giving him extra money....

Do we know for certain that there were no other teams in the bidding process? I'll admit, it seems like we gave him more money than necessary, but was there a reason....something that we're not privy to? 

Perhaps we'll know soon when the team does a press conference.

We'll never know if it was the team bidding against itself, I don't think they'll admit it, and the agent doesn't want to piss them off by making them look stupid either.

All we know is they paid more than the broncos foolishly paid for Keenum last year.

(03-13-2019, 12:51 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Rode Bortles to a #1 pick and get an actual QB in 2020.

This is probably the best solution, but it would hand Coughlin/Caldwell/Marrone a joint pink slip, just as sucking for Luck did in Polian.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 01:36 PM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

(03-13-2019, 12:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:

Ugh. No. It would be one thing if the entire team was awful, and they just glided to a losing season. But this defense is still top 5 in the league. It would be a shame to waste all that talent, just to tank.

And with only one winning season since 2007, I'm tired of losing. Foles gives us our best chance to win next year, in my opinion. And if he doesn't win, we get a high pick in a good quarterback draft in 2020.

Lost Jackson and Gipson, with no replacements (Bryan looked average at best). Might see our defensive output drop a little. Offense is still terrible as of now (pre draft).

Now we are stuck with an average QB with loads of guarantees (and l imagine the cap hit is pushed towards the later years of Foles contract, which will limit flexibility). Next year we will need to retool the defense anyway bcs of the extensions, in the long run, Foles hurts more than he helps. You dont cash in for average, even if it means you are slightly better than what you were before for one freaking season. Thats a cheap move by the FO to make themselves look better and it seems to be working. The FO sold uns the Bortles to Foles upgrade for one year and people seriously think we are winning the superbowl this coming season.

Bottom line is, we went for average rather than taking the risk of getting a potential Franchise QB through the draft, not only that, but we are stuck with said average quarterback even though after the next coming season the defense will look different once we extend our best players, closing our win now window and forcing us to turn to the draft/FA to fill key positions anyway (both on offense and defense). Since Foles costs so freaking much, high profile FAs are out of the questions.
So basically next season is Boom or bust and after that the Foles contract limits our financial flexibility, which will mean that we will depend on the draft anyway to "rebuild" the team. Therefore imo we might as well have drafted a potential franchise QB instead of signing Foles.

(03-13-2019, 12:50 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 12:21 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I'll be quick..Would've drafted Hayden at TE last year or Will Hernandez to eventually replace Parnell or a TE(Hurst)  to actually catch passes in the middle of the field without crossers to move the ball.    

I also would've got Tyrann at FS, kept fowler, and drafted either another OL, WR, or went LB with a trade back this year.  I wanted GB 12 and 30 round 1 picks for TE and OL and WR with our high second if our record was the same.  I knew this QB class would be weak during last years draft, so i wouldnt force a QB pick on us now.  Alot of holes would be filled at this point with a base on offense to work with but thats just me. I also wanted teddy last offseason as a backup since Sam Cousins and Teddy were all on the same roster.
Well thank goodness your not the GM...

1.) Hayden Hurst sucked last year...In 12 games he was 13 catches/163yards and 1 TD...ASJ in 5 games was 11/90 and 1 TD.

2.) Will Hernandez isn't ever going to be a NFL Tackle so you would have replaced AJ Cann...

3.)Fowler + Tyrann contracts both would equal = 28M per year which is 6M more than Foles so we would be even more restricted cap wise...lets assume you could even net Bridgewater for 10M a year.

So your way would have netted us Bortles/Bridgewater as the QBs....Tyrann at FS...Fowler @ DE...and roughly (14M + 14M + 10M ) - Foles (22M) less cap space....16M less cap space so more cuts would be required...

Hayden Hurst wasnt my number one choice but was highly touted as a good TE.  I liked Gesicki more and would've preferred him but we'll never know..also even replacing cann would've secured guard and all we would need is a competent tackle if Richardson doesnt work out.  I was ok getting rid of gipson and i wouldnt have paid moncrief at all but kept hurns or ar if possible.  We would have a decent WR core only need depth at OL outside or RT and would have the ability to go TE this year and even get a RT to compete with Richardson.  Get a possible starter on Defense at LB or depth and also be able to acquire more.  We are in cap hell due to Dareus coming late and Campbell not fixing his contract yet.  Better team overall and still only a drafted QB away from success with needed depth at this point.  Stop it bro
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 02:07 PM by BlueEyedJag.)

(03-13-2019, 01:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 12:50 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Well thank goodness your not the GM...

Hayden Hurst wasnt my number one choice but was highly touted as a good TE.  I liked Gesicki more and would've preferred him but we'll never know..also even replacing cann would've secured guard and all we would need is a competent tackle if Richardson doesnt work out.  I was ok getting rid of gipson and i wouldnt have paid moncrief at all but kept hurns or ar if possible.  We would have a decent WR core only need depth at OL outside or RT and would have the ability to go TE this year and even get a RT to compete with Richardson.  Get a possible starter on Defense at LB or depth and also be able to acquire more.  We are in cap hell due to Dareus coming late and Campbell not fixing his contract yet.  Better team overall and still only a drafted QB away from success with needed depth at this point.  Stop it bro

You keep getting better and better with your TE choices...Gesicki with a whooping 22/202 and 0 TDs.

So you couldn't have gotten Hurst and I'll give you the best possible case scenario in that we got a Guard to replace Cann (who we just resigned) instead of a 3T to replace Jackson (11M cap savings).

AR signed a 3yr/42M contract so 14M a year...so lets add on to the cap hell...

Doing things your way...the differences would be:

QB - Bridgewater (10M a year)
WR - Arob added (14M a year)
OG - Will Hernandez added and Taven Bryan subtracted.
FS - Tyrann added (14M a year)
DE - Fowler added (14M a year)
52 Million in additional cap used

vs.

Foles (22M a year)
3rd round pick (Fowler Trade)
30 Million in additional cap to spend on whatever...

1.) Just looking at it big picture I think the Hernandez/Bryan picks are a wash as Bryan will fill in for a void left by M.Jackson release.  Both Hernandez/Bryan were rated as "above average" by PFF.
2.) Foles is clearly a better upgrade than Bridgewater...now if you wanted to say Bridgewater + AROB vs. Foles then I might see your way of thinking but that would almost force a QB pick in the 1st round this year which would be one less premier draft slot to build around him with....that's even praying that Haskins falls and doesn't have to be traded up for.
3.) Fowler//Yannick weren't going to stay on the team together...I would rather have Yannick locked in long term and the 3rd rounder than Fowler.
4.) Tyrann at 14M for a FS would be dumb for the cap situation the Jags are in.

Stop it Bro...

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 02:13 PM by rpr52121.)

(03-13-2019, 01:34 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 12:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Ugh. No. It would be one thing if the entire team was awful, and they just glided to a losing season. But this defense is still top 5 in the league. It would be a shame to waste all that talent, just to tank.

Lost Jackson and Gipson, with no replacements (Bryan looked average at best). Might see our defensive output drop a little. Offense is still terrible as of now (pre draft).

Now we are stuck with an average QB with loads of guarantees (and l imagine the cap hit is pushed towards the later years of Foles contract, which will limit flexibility). Next year we will need to retool the defense anyway bcs of the extensions, in the long run, Foles hurts more than he helps. You dont cash in for average, even if it means you are slightly better than what you were before for one freaking season. Thats a cheap move by the FO to make themselves look better and it seems to be working. The FO sold uns the Bortles to Foles upgrade for one year and people seriously think we are winning the superbowl this coming season.

Bottom line is, we went for average rather than taking the risk of getting a potential Franchise QB through the draft, not only that, but we are stuck with said average quarterback even though after the next coming season the defense will look different once we extend our best players, closing our win now window and forcing us to turn to the draft/FA to fill key positions anyway (both on offense and defense). Since Foles costs so freaking much, high profile FAs are out of the questions.
So basically next season is Boom or bust and after that the Foles contract limits our financial flexibility, which will mean that we will depend on the draft anyway to "rebuild" the team. Therefore imo we might as well have drafted a potential franchise QB instead of signing Foles.

Here is the thing. In 12 years, this franchise has been average or better only 2 times with only 1 playoff appearance.

Everyone always talks about the draft being the only way to get a Franchise QB, and statistically that is correct. But mainly because, once someone figures it out they never let them go. But finding that right guy is always a risky bet. A franchise take draft stabs for 20+ years and never find one and always draft one in the wrong year, have the wrong staff when they do, etc. In fact that happens to most NFL franchises. I think Mahomes is first QB the Chiefs have ever drafted to look like he will pan out, since 1960.

Yes, they probably paid Foles too much. Yes, this team has question marks, some huge questions marks. Every season, every NFL team has question marks especially in March, in June, In August. Most playoff teams still have question marks in January. Every good team though needs more than just the QB to win too. Yes they will lose some players this year, but the defense is easily still top 10. I rather take a bet on this current defense to return to some of the level they showed in 2017 and on more healthy on offense, be average or better to get into the playoffs for a year or 2 and see what happens.

I'd rather have a few seasons of average to good football, some playoffs, and a shot of more. They can always try to draft a franchise QB another year.

I don't feel like they wanted to wait to make another run for 2 more years or more.

Not a damn thing. Count on Foles to give us 3-4 years of competent QB play while working under an OC who knows how to get the most out of him, then grab a high-round rookie somewhere in there to take over for him down the line rather than rushing the rookie into service on day one.

Big picture is the FO really needs to nail this draft...one like this could really solidify the Offense.

1st: Jawaan Taylor - RT - Florida
2nd: Chris Lindstrom - RG - Boston College
3rd: Jace Sternberger - TE - Texas A&M
3rd: Dawson Knox - TE - Ole Miss

(03-13-2019, 02:06 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 01:44 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Hayden Hurst wasnt my number one choice but was highly touted as a good TE.  I liked Gesicki more and would've preferred him but we'll never know..also even replacing cann would've secured guard and all we would need is a competent tackle if Richardson doesnt work out.  I was ok getting rid of gipson and i wouldnt have paid moncrief at all but kept hurns or ar if possible.  We would have a decent WR core only need depth at OL outside or RT and would have the ability to go TE this year and even get a RT to compete with Richardson.  Get a possible starter on Defense at LB or depth and also be able to acquire more.  We are in cap hell due to Dareus coming late and Campbell not fixing his contract yet.  Better team overall and still only a drafted QB away from success with needed depth at this point.  Stop it bro

You keep getting better and better with your TE choices...Gesicki with a whooping 22/202 and 0 TDs.

So you couldn't have gotten Hurst and I'll give you the best possible case scenario in that we got a Guard to replace Cann (who we just resigned) instead of a 3T to replace Jackson (11M cap savings).

AR signed a 3yr/42M contract so 14M a year...so lets add on to the cap hell...

Doing things your way...the differences would be:

QB - Bridgewater (10M a year)
WR - Arob added (14M a year)
OG - Will Hernandez added and Taven Bryan subtracted.
FS - Tyrann added (14M a year)
DE - Fowler added (14M a year)
52 Million in additional cap used

vs.

Foles (22M a year)
3rd round pick (Fowler Trade)
30 Million in additional cap to spend on whatever...

1.) Just looking at it big picture I think the Hernandez/Bryan picks are a wash as Bryan will fill in for a void left by M.Jackson release.  Both Hernandez/Bryan were rated as "above average" by PFF.
2.) Foles is clearly a better upgrade than Bridgewater...now if you wanted to say Bridgewater + AROB vs. Foles then I might see your way of thinking but that would almost force a QB pick in the 1st round this year which would be one less premier draft slot to build around him with....that's even praying that Haskins falls and doesn't have to be traded up for.
3.) Fowler//Yannick weren't going to stay on the team together...I would rather have Yannick locked in long term and the 3rd rounder than Fowler.
4.) Tyrann at 14M for a FS would be dumb for the cap situation the Jags are in.

Stop it Bro...
You and this cap talk.  I'm no expert on the cap but i was going along the lines of Blake + Arob and maybe Teddy took over eventually or this season to lead us to QB next draft not this one.  I wanted to see Fowler at OLB like at UF moreso than strictly DE but thats another thing.  Foles maybe better than BB/Bridgewater but i'll take a more built team overall than a QB 30 plus just cause.  I cant say Gesecki or Hurst would've had the same output here and how i would've used them but thats neither here nor there also.  Tyrann is because of where we are now.  If i had my choices then we could go FS this draft and save that money and still get a pick high for OL or TE with Defensive depth next.  We could keep going but my way would've made this team alot more fit for the future than this ship or bust situation we are in now trying to hold strong.
Season Tix, Section 409

(03-13-2019, 02:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Big picture is the FO really needs to nail this draft...one like this could really solidify the Offense.

1st: Jawaan Taylor - RT - Florida
2nd: Chris Lindstrom - RG - Boston College
3rd: Jace Sternberger - TE - Texas A&M
3rd: Dawson Knox - TE - Ole Miss
I'm ok with Taylor in the 1st.

I'd much rather go:

1st- Hockenson
2nd- Paris Campbell
3rd- BA OT
3rd- BA guard