Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Released. Not Post June 1st designated.

(03-14-2019, 06:31 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Look I'm as hopeful as anyone that Foles is great.

But Bortles did not waste the D. He was within minutes of the Superbowl. If the ref doesn't blow that Jack play dead he is playing Foles in the Superbowl.

Let's not forget the D played poor against Brady late in the game. Gave up 40 against Pittsburgh and gave up 40 against SF a couple of weeks prior to that. The D hit the wall.

How did Bortles do last year? Didn't he get benched for a guy 49 other states have never heard of? Lots of nice people lose their jobs because they suck at them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 08:38 AM by Cleatwood.)

(03-14-2019, 06:31 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Look I'm as hopeful as anyone that Foles is great.

But Bortles did not waste the D. He was within minutes of the Superbowl. If the ref doesn't blow that Jack play dead he is playing Foles in the Superbowl.

Let's not forget the D played poor against Brady late in the game. Gave up 40 against Pittsburgh and gave up 40 against SF a couple of weeks prior to that. The D hit the wall.
Hit a wall?

Without the defense in 2017, they win 4 games. Did you watch the Pittsburgh game? The defense scored one of the TDs AND set up another one with an interception. So they gifted Blake 14 points. Not to mention Pitt had 2 of the luckiest hail mary TD catches I've seen in a while. Oh and that Myles Jack play you're talking about... yea... that's all the defense.

Are you really trying to sit here and act like the defense was an issue in 2017 and Blake was fine? You're still making excuses for Blake?

(03-13-2019, 09:04 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: A few lessons this franchise should learn from the Bortles era.

No more drafting 'project' QBs with a top five pick

Unless the quarterback in question is Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence, do everything you can to make sure your rookie QB sits on the bench the first year and learns. Caldwell, I believe drafted Bortles with this intent, but for some reason, Bradley threw him into the fire early.

Probably not a good idea to keep hiring/firing offensive coordinators every year. It makes it even harder for a rookie to learn one system, and they have to adjust to another. This is actually why A-Rob said he left Jax.

I do wish Blake luck. He handled all of the criticism, fair and unfair, with class. He is durable, and he can run. I'm sure another team will pick him up.
Do we really need to go through the list of the QBs who have started right away and ended up being great? The list is really long.

He's gone...It's dead. We have Nick Foles at QB now so playoffs or bust. No excuses no nothing. We went from a trash QB as some call it, to a clear upgrade. We are a playoff team when healthy so no playoffs this year Different FO next year.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(03-13-2019, 10:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:30 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: This is the first I’m of hearing this.  I was under the impression the Jags would be able to recognize the offset immediately though thinking it through I could see why it’s done as you suggest it is.  Do you have a link to where’s this is explained?

I seen it on twitter..

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...1853984768

But then there’s this:

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...33411?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM by Adam2012.)

(03-14-2019, 02:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote: The offence was top 5 in multiple metrics in 2017...

That was with no notable names at any receiver position for most the year.

He was inconsistent, not trash.

I have certainly more than once rolled my eyes at your expressions of Blake love, but here you are exactly correct. He was very, very inconsistent, not trash.

Which is why I suspect he'll never be more than a backup in the future. He may get some starts due to injury - he may be some version of (pick your favorite backup/occasional starter).

Oh, if you're looking for class this probably ain't the right place to be looking. So many think anyone else cares about their opinion. Don't they know most are simply looking for recognition of how filled with insight they are.

All right - now let's get on with that Foles bashing!
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Congratulations everyone!! 

We did it, we survived the Bortles experience! A steady rise and fall between awful and average.

We will talk about these days for years to come.

(03-14-2019, 06:02 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 05:20 AM)JackCity Wrote: Blake Bortles interception rate : 2.8%
Andrew Luck interception rate: 2.5%
Edit; Big Ben is 2.7. maybe this whole interception thing is a bit overblown

(03-14-2019, 04:06 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Are you serious right now? Legit? Would you like me to break down everything? I will gladly do it for you. I will gladly show you why you are foolish. Bortles and Luck don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. It's fans like you you guys who overrate guys like Bortles that make this fan base hated. Its truly disgusting.

You were the one who said he was trash because of his interceptions? Not me. Don't get angry at the stats. Luck would own the most picks since 2014 if he played as many games as Bortles

Why don't put up TDs per game there for a proper assessment? As seat said, Bortles and Luck shouldn't be uttered in the same breath.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-14-2019, 10:49 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I seen it on twitter..

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...1853984768

But then there’s this:

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...33411?s=21

The cut saved 4.5M immediately for this 2019 cap.

Depending on the contract amount he signs for this 2019 season the Jaguars can get up to a 6.5M cap credit for next year.

So instead of having a dead cap hit next year they can actually get 6.5M extra cap space for next year.

19 million for the 5th year option, 19 million cap hit in 2018
Or
26.5 in cap cost for the extension: 2018 10 million cap hit plus 2019 16.5 dead cap

They paid an extra 7.5 in cap for extending Bortles instead of playing out the extension.

At the time of signing, 7.5 seems like a reasonable hedge.

(03-14-2019, 05:01 PM)jagshype Wrote: 19 million for the 5th year option, 19 million cap hit in 2018
Or
26.5 in cap cost for the extension: 2018 10 million cap hit plus 2019 16.5 dead cap

They paid an extra 7.5 in cap for extending Bortles instead of playing out the extension.

Up until week 5 it still did...

(03-14-2019, 05:01 PM)jagshype Wrote: 19 million for the 5th year option, 19 million cap hit in 2018
Or

And the deal put Bortles about 17th in the league in earnings for QB's, which was exactly what he was at the time; average. Unfortunately that lasted until week 2 of 2018 and then it was all downhill.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM by lastonealive.)

(03-14-2019, 02:49 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 06:02 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Edit; Big Ben is 2.7. maybe this whole interception thing is a bit overblown

You were the one who said he was trash because of his interceptions? Not me. Don't get angry at the stats. Luck would own the most picks since 2014 if he played as many games as Bortles

Why don't put up TDs per game there for a proper assessment? As seat said, Bortles and Luck shouldn't be uttered in the same breath.

I was just responding to the he is trash due to interceptions. No analysis required.

Yeah couldn't possibly mention him in the same sentence as the guy who hasn't even led a FG score in his last 6 quarters versus us and lays an egg in the playoffs