Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How is your confidence in this position group pre-draft?
This poll is closed.
They're fine. Maybe add a value pick.
36.36%
8 36.36%
Meh. I'd add a receiver fairly early to complete the group.
22.73%
5 22.73%
Not confident. Need to draft a guy early.
27.27%
6 27.27%
Bad situation. Go all in on WR in the draft.
0%
0 0%
We're all set at receiver.
4.55%
1 4.55%
This group sucks. Draft best WR at #7.
0%
0 0%
corn
9.09%
2 9.09%
blank #2
0%
0 0%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Jaguars 2019 Receiver Corps

There is a wide spectrum of opinion out there on this topic. Just gathering some thoughts from the board.

Here's a quote from Coughlin on the impact Foles may have on the receivers:

3.The Jaguars believe Foles will help a young receiving corps. Obviously. A questioner asked Jaguars Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin if Foles would help the Jaguars’ young receivers “get their feet under them.” Coughlin: “I’m kind of befuddled because it’s common sense. We’ve got a guy who can put the ball where it needs to be placed the majority of the time, and people are confident the ball will be there.”

In this instance, I'm with TC. I think the talent in place will benefit greatly from better accuracy and timing. Lee is a bit of a question mark due to injury, but I bet he produces well with Foles once he's close to 100%. 

I'd love to see a value pick in the fourth round added as well as one of Caldwell's patented UDFA flyers. 
Adding a premium TE is a must however. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It’s too early to know if we are set, that and we don’t have any good data on any of our receivers as we haven’t had a Qab that could hit the broad side of barn from 3 feet away
A good loser is a good loser

Lee/Westbrook/Cole/Conley/Chark.

Lee health is a big question mark. This guy is unlucky.
Let's hope that Westbrook will continue to improve from last season.
Cole has been disappointing this season.
Conley is a freak athlete, he was good last season with Mahomes. Too early to know if he can have an impact.
Chark has shown flashes.

Foles willl make all of them look better for sure. But the real need is a TE. Maybe we can draft a WR with a late pick, but the priority is a TE.

WRs are always a dime a dozen, until they aren't. I'm not surprised that two ancient dudes like Coughlin and Vic would have similar opinions on this.

Hockenson

I think if we get the TE position straight, the WR position is fine. They have shown big-play ability. Lee feels like the odd man out at the moment. He is coming off a big injury and before that, we used him as a TE bandaid (short yardage possession). Maybe he fits in the slot moving forward? Don't know at the moment. Overall, I think we are fine and we can afford to add pieces or possible upgrades as they are available. No need to chase.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM by JackCity.)

(03-18-2019, 12:21 PM)Upper Wrote: WRs are always a dime a dozen, until they aren't. I'm not surprised that two ancient dudes like Coughlin and Vic would have similar opinions on this.

To be fair, Coughlins specialty is WRs and this quote doesn't say anything about how he values them.

(03-18-2019, 01:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 12:21 PM)Upper Wrote: WRs are always a dime a dozen, until they aren't. I'm not surprised that two ancient dudes like Coughlin and Vic would have similar opinions on this.

To be fair, Coughlins specialty is WRs and this quote doesn't say anything about how he values them.
Coughlin knows receivers? 

Someone else said they trust his QB evaluating skills too.

So what can't Coughlin do? Seems we should be much better if he can see Dline, WR, and QB talent.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 02:04 PM by JackCity.)

(03-18-2019, 01:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 01:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: To be fair, Coughlins specialty is WRs and this quote doesn't say anything about how he values them.
Coughlin knows receivers? 

Someone else said they trust his QB evaluating skills too.

So what can't Coughlin do? Seems we should be much better if he can see Dline, WR, and QB talent.

Yeah I would say Coughlin has a better track record of developing and spotting WRs more than most in the NFL over his career.

I'm not a fan of Coughlin but using that quote as evidence of him thinking WRs are dime a dozen is a reach  (we did pick a WR in the 2nd just last year after all, and took Dede in the 4th despite serious character concerns, something Tom 100% would not take lightly) 

I don't agree on the other two if thats what people think.

3rd or 4th round.

I think we have a good enough WR core. Bottles didn't do the WRs many favors last season. They're not all pros, but even with just average QB play (better placed passes, going through reads) I think they would Have had more success as a unit.

Value pick fits what I think best.

I actually want them to target WR in round 3 or 4. Like Hakeem Butler or someone like that

(03-19-2019, 04:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Value pick fits what I think best.

I actually want them to target WR in round 3 or 4. Like Hakeem Butler or someone like that

I think it's very likely that Hakeem Butler goes early, some team will fall in love with that athletic profile. Possibly even first round.

As for where we take a WR, personally I think we have a whole bunch of decent WRs, but no top quality big physical WR who can win 50/50 balls and be an end zone threat. To get one of them who's ready to contribute I think it will probably need to be one of the first three picks. After that, I wouldnt take one till the 7th and get a project like Custis or Ferguson, a big unpolished player that could grow into the role eventually.

(03-19-2019, 11:39 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 04:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Value pick fits what I think best.

I think it's very likely that Hakeem Butler goes early, some team will fall in love with that athletic profile. Possibly even first round.

As for where we take a WR, personally I think we have a whole bunch of decent WRs, but no top quality big physical WR who can win 50/50 balls and be an end zone threat. To get one of them who's ready to contribute I think it will probably need to be one of the first three picks. After that, I wouldnt take one till the 7th and get a project like Custis or Ferguson, a big unpolished player that could grow into the role eventually.

That is very possible. I think at the top of 3 he's a bit of a steal for us.

But even if he isn't there are some WRs that fit that profile that should be available with one of our 2 3rd round picks.

I'd add a receiver either in the 3rd or 4th round. At least ONE of these guys will be there and could contribute right away:

Riley Ridley
J.J Arcega-Whiteside
Andy Isabella
Deebo Samuel
Hakeem Butler
Keelan Doss

(03-20-2019, 10:44 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd add a receiver either in the 3rd or 4th round. At least ONE of these guys will be there and could contribute right away:

Riley Ridley
J.J Arcega-Whiteside
Andy Isabella
Deebo Samuel
Hakeem Butler
Keelan Doss

Keelan Doss
Jakobi Meyers
Terry McLaurin
and David Sills 

Those are the guys I'm eyeballing in the fourth round (pick #110)

(03-20-2019, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 10:44 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd add a receiver either in the 3rd or 4th round. At least ONE of these guys will be there and could contribute right away:

Riley Ridley
J.J Arcega-Whiteside
Andy Isabella
Deebo Samuel
Hakeem Butler
Keelan Doss

Keelan Doss
Jakobi Meyers
Terry McLaurin
and David Sills 

If McLaurin is there in round 4, they should run to the podium.

Hockenson
Risner
Savage
Singletary
McLaurin

We good.

(03-20-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Keelan Doss
Jakobi Meyers
Terry McLaurin
and David Sills 

Hockenson
Risner
Savage
Singletary
McLaurin

We good.

That would do very nicely.

(03-20-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Keelan Doss
Jakobi Meyers
Terry McLaurin
and David Sills 

Hockenson
Risner
Savage
Singletary
McLaurin

We good.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I wouldn't be upset if the Jags spend a late round on Hunter Renfrow. That guy just always seems to make plays in big games.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]