Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your bust/most overrated player in the draft

We already have the thread for sleepers, here is the thread for those players you think are just way over-hyped. I'll start us off with someone I imagine will be a controversial choice.

WR Hakeem Butler

This dude is seemingly shooting up draft boards, possibly destined to be a first round pick. A few months ago when I first started doing draft research he was being talked about 3rd/4th round at most, and he makes sense at that point, but anywhere near the first and I am well out.

Like most, my first impression of this dude was wow. Watch some highlights and see a guy with the wingspan of a pterodactyl just dominating out there, like Lebron on grass. But the more you actually watch tape on the guy, the more you see a guy that struggles with drops and lack of concentration. Simply put, I don't think he is a technician when it comes to the craft of being a WR, and I think his pro career will go the same way as a whole bunch of other big guys that never really felt the need to learn their craft. This opinion was re-enforced when I watched him doing the drills at the combine, to me he looked sloppy, both in technique and attitude. Obviously I could be wrong, but I just suspect his pro career will never amount to much and he'll have a rude awakening when he starts playing against a higher calibre player.

Who's your draft busts this year?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2019, 02:44 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Kyler Murray
Rashan Gary
D.K. Metcalf
Jachai Polite
Kelvin Harmon
Jawaan Taylor
Darnell Savage

(03-20-2019, 09:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Kyler Murray
Rashan Gary
D.K. Metcalf
Jachai Polite
Kelvin Harmon

dang it, you took all the good ones!

I'd put D. Jones on the list too, I don't see him doing much more than career backup, still laughing that early mocks had him in the top ten.

I feel very differently about Harmon, I think he is actually the opposite of Butler. He's not physically/athletically dominant, he wins with clever route running and a focus on the technical aspects. I have always thought that's the key for a WR succeeding at the next level.

I think Josh Jacobs is being over valued honestly.

Now... do I think he'll be a bust? Not really... but being mocked as a first round RB... I don't see him being that much better than some other guys being mocked later.
He's not particularly fast. He had one stand out season at Bama. Where they typically make their RBs look good.
And I think Damien Harris might be every bit as good and has more tape out there to "prove it".

I like David Montgomery better than both of these guys honestly.

Metcalf

Metcalf and Bosa.

I have a feeling Bosa won't be an outright bust just an average player.

Calimari

(03-20-2019, 03:45 PM)roycee Wrote: Metcalf and Bosa.

I have a feeling Bosa won't be an outright bust just an average player.

I don't know if Bosa will be a bust, but I'd definitely take Kentucky DE/OLB Josh Allen over him.

Gary, Metcalf, Caleb Wilson, Jonah Williams

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 08:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Haskins, Fant, and Daniel Jones

^Why Fant?

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-20-2019, 09:08 PM)JNev Wrote: ^Why Fant?

Some want him at 7.  I'd never want to take a guy in the top 10 that got benched.  I do think he has the potential to be a good pass catcher because of his athleticism but I think you could get close to the same production from a guy like Caleb Wilson in the mid rounds instead of the first.  If I take a TE in the first I want him to be the complete package like the guy he got benched for

(03-20-2019, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 09:08 PM)JNev Wrote: ^Why Fant?

Some want him at 7.  I'd never want to take a guy in the top 10 that got benched.  I do think he has the potential to be a good pass catcher because of his athleticism but I think you could get close to the same production from a guy like Caleb Wilson in the mid rounds instead of the first.  If I take a TE in the first I want him to be the complete package like the guy he got benched for

Overdrafted != Bust

I prefer Fant over Hock, but don't want either at 7.

(03-21-2019, 08:19 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Some want him at 7.  I'd never want to take a guy in the top 10 that got benched.  I do think he has the potential to be a good pass catcher because of his athleticism but I think you could get close to the same production from a guy like Caleb Wilson in the mid rounds instead of the first.  If I take a TE in the first I want him to be the complete package like the guy he got benched for

Overdrafted != Bust

Hockenson is a great receiver and he blocks better than any O-Lineman we can get at #7. He's a complete TE and maybe the best TE coming out of college in a long, long time. I would draft him at #7 and be very happy. Foles gets his "safety net" and we get a devastating blocker, who can double as an offensive weapon. What's not to like?

(03-21-2019, 10:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 08:19 AM)Mikey Wrote: Overdrafted != Bust

Hockenson is a great receiver and he blocks better than any O-Lineman we can get at #7. He's a complete TE and maybe the best TE coming out of college in a long, long time. I would draft him at #7 and be very happy. Foles gets his "safety net" and we get a devastating blocker, who can double as an offensive weapon. What's not to like?

If he can do both WELL (Jason Witten?), I would totally take QUALITY production like that at #7.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(03-21-2019, 10:41 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 10:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hockenson is a great receiver and he blocks better than any O-Lineman we can get at #7. He's a complete TE and maybe the best TE coming out of college in a long, long time. I would draft him at #7 and be very happy. Foles gets his "safety net" and we get a devastating blocker, who can double as an offensive weapon. What's not to like?

If he can do both WELL (Jason Witten?), I would totally take QUALITY production like that at #7.

Todd Heap in his prime

(03-21-2019, 10:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 08:19 AM)Mikey Wrote: Overdrafted != Bust

I have a very strong feeling that he will be the pick rather than an offensive lineman (Taylor) despite what most prognosticators are currently saying. The Jaguars can go offensive line in round 2.

Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor, and Rashan Gary.

Don't think anyone else that I've seen mocked to us at 7 would disappoint me other than those 3.

Luke Del Rio

He was great in college but I don't see him being able to mirror that same level of success in the NFL.