Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is why we need civics classes in High School again

Stunning Survey Shows Half Of Americans Don’t Know All First Amendment Freedoms

New research shows that while many Americans fear the First Amendment is under threat, three quarters don’t even know how many amendments make up the Bill of Rights

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-half-a...otections/
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-21-2019, 09:47 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Stunning Survey Shows Half Of Americans Don’t Know All First Amendment Freedoms

New research shows that while many Americans fear the First Amendment is under threat, three quarters don’t even know how many amendments make up the Bill of Rights

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-half-a...otections/

Not likely to happen, it is much easier to rule the uneducated masses.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

They still teach American history and there is inevitably a bit of civics mixed in to that.
But I agree it should be its own class.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

It is dangerous to tell people they are free...they might start believing it.

When they taught the Bill of Rights back in the 70s, it usually caused the students to question why the school thought it could violate those rights.

Politics is much like religion in that depending on how the adults in a household feel about the subject depends on how, or if it's taught. Although our Rights aren't political per se, they always follow that road. 

You can have kids being taught the right thing in school but if the parents are against it you better believe they'll make sure their kid(s) know the "right" way of thinking is their way (the parents way).

We were not a political family. I know my parents voted but politics was just not talked about and I was never told what party to vote for or support. What I learned in school was what I knew to be true and it was never argued against. I knew kids growing up whose homes were the complete opposite. Their families lived and breathed all things political. I never understood it.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019, 04:58 AM by jj82284.)

Feel the bern!

A quick browse of this area of the board backs up that finding, too.

As Reagan said:

"...it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-23-2019, 01:25 PM)pirkster Wrote: A quick browse of this area of the board backs up that finding, too.

As Reagan said:

"...it's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Pot, meet kettle.
It's a choose your own reality adventure around here!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-21-2019, 11:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Politics is much like religion in that depending on how the adults in a household feel about the subject depends on how, or if it's taught. Although our Rights aren't political per se, they always follow that road. 

You can have kids being taught the right thing in school but if the parents are against it you better believe they'll make sure their kid(s) know the "right" way of thinking is their way (the parents way).

We were not a political family. I know my parents voted but politics was just not talked about and I was never told what party to vote for or support. What I learned in school was what I knew to be true and it was never argued against. I knew kids growing up whose homes were the complete opposite. Their families lived and breathed all things political. I never understood it.

Well, you know what they say.....

'If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not aconservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.'

(03-23-2019, 11:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 11:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Politics is much like religion in that depending on how the adults in a household feel about the subject depends on how, or if it's taught. Although our Rights aren't political per se, they always follow that road. 

'If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not aconservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.'

I am gonna laugh my [BLEEP] off when you guys are trying to disown AOC in five years.

(03-24-2019, 01:02 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 11:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Well, you know what they say.....

I am gonna laugh my [BLEEP] off when you guys are trying to disown AOC in five years.

I've listened to her talk, there's really not much need to worry.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-24-2019, 01:02 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 11:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Well, you know what they say.....

She will be primaried. You think Pelosi will go to the grave with this woman in power?

(03-23-2019, 11:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Libertarians have both so I'm good.  Big Grin

For you Trumpettes bemoaning the poorly educated masses, would you really like to see Trump take a Bill of Rights quiz?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]