Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles Superbowl Mvp performance

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 07:25 PM by JackCity.)

(03-23-2019, 06:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 06:40 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Look at the salary cap back then compared to now.  It has risen a lot since Flacco got that contract.  Foles can be cut after 2 years and won't have a huge cap hit if he bust.

I'm well aware of how much the cap has gone up since then, but that's not the point. You tried to say Foles didn't have a $100m contract like Flacco did. When they actually got very similar contracts in terms of money. They'll will/did make basically the same amount over their first 3 seasons.

Obviously Flacco's contract was top dollar back then and Foles' contract is just above average level of QB pay, but the point still stands.

Also, the out in Foles' contract is after the 3rd year, not the 2nd now that I look at his deal and it comes with a $6.25m dead cap hit. It'd be a $12.5m dead cap hit if we dumped him after 2 years.

(03-23-2019, 06:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I disagree. I think they could draft a guy in 2020. No sweat. No need to consider them tied to a Foles IMO.

I get that, but that sure doesn't show much confidence in your decision on going after Foles in the first place, if you're already looking for his replacement after just one season.

The contract was designed to get out after 2 seasons though, so drafting someone to take over in 2021 or halfway through 2020 shouldn't surprise anyone.

Now if Foles plays light out then you might see that get pushed back, but if he's just average then I'd say that's when we make our move

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-23-2019, 07:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 06:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'm well aware of how much the cap has gone up since then, but that's not the point. You tried to say Foles didn't have a $100m contract like Flacco did. When they actually got very similar contracts in terms of money. They'll will/did make basically the same amount over their first 3 seasons.

Obviously Flacco's contract was top dollar back then and Foles' contract is just above average level of QB pay, but the point still stands.

Also, the out in Foles' contract is after the 3rd year, not the 2nd now that I look at his deal and it comes with a $6.25m dead cap hit. It'd be a $12.5m dead cap hit if we dumped him after 2 years.

I get that, but that sure doesn't show much confidence in your decision on going after Foles in the first place, if you're already looking for his replacement after just one season.

It’s not about confidence in Foles long term. It about confidence in him being good enough to give you a shot in the short term - then moving on to a more fiscally sustainable option at QB with a year of cushion for the rookie to sit and learn.

And that all goes back to my original point. In order to hope he'll give you a shot in the short term, they must add more around him on Offense. Can't afford to spend a 1-4 round draft pick on a QB to sit for the future, because they need to win now in the short term, or they won't have a future here.

Foles isn't going to carry this team and you can't assume we'll be as healthy as we were in 2017, or that our Defense will play up to the level of one of the all time greats again, like in 2017.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a franchise QB of the future and I want Haskins, but that's whatever at this point. The team put their eggs in the Foles basket and they have to win right now.

(03-23-2019, 07:34 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 07:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It’s not about confidence in Foles long term. It about confidence in him being good enough to give you a shot in the short term - then moving on to a more fiscally sustainable option at QB with a year of cushion for the rookie to sit and learn.

And that all goes back to my original point. In order to hope he'll give you a shot in the short term, they must add more around him on Offense. Can't afford to spend a 1-4 round draft pick on a QB to sit for the future, because they need to win now in the short term, or they won't have a future here.

Foles isn't going to carry this team and you can't assume we'll be as healthy as we were in 2017, or that our Defense will play up to the level of one of the all time greats again, like in 2017.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a franchise QB of the future and I want Haskins, but that's whatever at this point. The team put their eggs in the Foles basket and they have to win right now.

The defense carries this team. 
No one is asking or expecting Foles to. 

Give him a TE and an upgrade on the right side of line and it’s better enough to get wins.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 12:50 AM by Eric1.)

(03-23-2019, 09:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 07:34 PM)Eric1 Wrote: And that all goes back to my original point. In order to hope he'll give you a shot in the short term, they must add more around him on Offense. Can't afford to spend a 1-4 round draft pick on a QB to sit for the future, because they need to win now in the short term, or they won't have a future here.

The defense carries this team. 

Give him a TE and an upgrade on the right side of line and it’s better enough to get wins.

And another WR, and another RB, and ideally another TE (not counting the first one you already said).

This Offense is going to lean heavily on a rookie TE and a group of question mark WRs (besides Dede). While holding out hope that Fournette can stay healthy all year.

I agree, it's better than enough to get us some wins. Some wins... AKA 8-8 and stuck in a terrible position.

What do you think is an acceptable outcome of this season with Foles etc. record wise?

(03-24-2019, 12:48 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 09:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The defense carries this team. 

And another WR, and another RB, and ideally another TE (not counting the first one you already said).

This Offense is going to lean heavily on a rookie TE and a group of question mark WRs (besides Dede). While holding out hope that Fournette can stay healthy all year.

I agree, it's better than enough to get us some wins. Some wins... AKA 8-8 and stuck in a terrible position.

What do you think is an acceptable outcome of this season with Foles etc. record wise?
I’d say 9 wins if they add some hope on offense in the draft. 

For me - I feel like if they are in the legit hunt for the division in December they did good offseason work.

Now that we're providing SB Stats (Eagles vs Pats) I'll add Malik Jackson 1 fumble recovery for a TD (Denver vs Carolina)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...070den.htm

I've actually been watching a lot of Foles since he signed, and good god, is he about ten times better than Bortles. Decisive, on time with throws, no windup...it's really all we needed in a QB. We don't need Pat Mahomes to win in the present, and having Foles doesn't exclude us from drafting a QB high next year or the year after.

I think Haskins will be a top 10 QB, but he isn't the only one in the next three years.

(03-24-2019, 10:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 12:48 AM)Eric1 Wrote: And another WR, and another RB, and ideally another TE (not counting the first one you already said).

I’d say 9 wins if they add some hope on offense in the draft. 

For me - I feel like if they are in the legit hunt for the division in December they did good offseason work.

Anything less than making the Playoffs would be a pretty big disappointment imo.

(03-24-2019, 04:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 10:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’d say 9 wins if they add some hope on offense in the draft. 

Anything less than making the Playoffs would be a pretty big disappointment imo.

Not an unreasonable stance. I'm trying to force myself to remain slightly more patient.

For those in the mood for a little taste of the Flip/Foles kool-aid, the Jags have posted this little morsel of hype :

https://www.jaguars.com/video/the-coach-...uarterback

(03-24-2019, 10:59 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: I've actually been watching a lot of Foles since he signed, and good god, is he about ten times better than Bortles.  Decisive, on time with throws, no windup...it's really all we needed in a QB.  We don't need Pat Mahomes to win in the present, and having Foles doesn't exclude us from drafting a QB high next year or the year after.

I think Haskins will be a top 10 QB, but he isn't the only one in the next three years.

This is what I've been saying. We don't need someone to carry the team at qb. We just need them to not hurt the team with ints, multiple 3 and outs, and poor decision making.

Foles fits the build quite nicely.

Nick "ManBoobs" Foles

(03-25-2019, 10:06 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Nick "ManBoobs" Foles

He and Tom Brady have the same problems.

Man boobs, Hot Wives and Excessive $$

[Image: 5b56e77777c2040f7ea559c8?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)]

I'm sorry.... if we win a SB, I'll take 5-6 years of purgatory all day. Look at what we've been through WITHOUT a SB.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM by JagsorDie.)

(03-25-2019, 11:14 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm sorry.... if we win a SB, I'll take 5-6 years of purgatory all day. Look at what we've been through WITHOUT a SB.

LOL right.

Also why are we going into purgatory if we win a sb with foles? Yes we are going to see some more cap casualties because of the looming contracts, but as a resident troll has recently pointed out, we don't draft that great with high picks anyway lol(I don't buy that we do that much worse than others but it still fits my narrative right now). Yannick, Linder, Telvin, westbrooke, and colvin(not on the team now but still a solid pick) were all 2nd and later picks. So, who's to say we are not going to connect a few more times in the coming year with later picks and continue to make replacements as needed. If Nick is the guy that's gets us there, why would we see an immediate drop off?

(03-25-2019, 10:47 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 10:06 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Nick "ManBoobs" Foles

He and Tom Brady have the same problems.

Man boobs, Hot Wives and Excessive $$

[Image: 5b56e77777c2040f7ea559c8?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)]
I believe the correct term is "MOOBS"

(03-25-2019, 11:14 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm sorry.... if we win a SB, I'll take 5-6 years of purgatory all day. Look at what we've been through WITHOUT a SB.
I just had this happen with my Caps.

That Stanley Cup is going to be worth at least 6 years of joy. Caps are good again this year but if they were winless, I still wouldn't care!

(03-25-2019, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I just had this happen with my Caps.

That Stanley Cup is going to be worth at least 6 years of joy. Caps are good again this year but if they were winless, I still wouldn't care!

Do you really get joy out of that?

I mean I'll be happy when the Jags win a Superbowl - but it's not going to fuel any joy or happiness at all after that Sunday.

(03-25-2019, 01:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I just had this happen with my Caps.

Do you really get joy out of that?

I mean I'll be happy when the Jags win a Superbowl - but it's not going to fuel any joy or happiness at all after that Sunday.

You're not going to get any joy after SB Sunday? You're crazy.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 10:58 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-25-2019, 03:31 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 01:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Do you really get joy out of that?

You're not going to get any joy after SB Sunday? You're crazy.

How?

I'm genuinely curious.

Is it that easy for some people to experience joy? The thought of multi-millionaires earning an extra $250,000 and a billionaire earning an extra $10-100 million?

What do YOU get out of it? To say your multi-millionaires did better than theirs?

It makes no sense to me.

The same way if my HS won State... yea I was the QB for them years ago.. but we didn't win anything then.. if they win now.. that's THEIR accomplishment. Not mine. At all.

(03-26-2019, 10:56 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 03:31 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: You're not going to get any joy after SB Sunday? You're crazy.

How?

I'm genuinely curious.

Is it that easy for some people to experience joy? The thought of multi-millionaires earning an extra $250,000 and a billionaire earning an extra $10-100 million?

What do YOU get out of it? To say your multi-millionaires did better than theirs?

It makes no sense to me.

The same way if my HS won State... yea I was the QB for them years ago.. but we didn't win anything then.. if they win now.. that's THEIR accomplishment. Not mine. At all.

So if you don't play for the jags, you shouldn't feel joy past the day of the event because it's only members of the organization's acocomplishment?

You don't pay season tickets and tailgate for high school games for decades on end. That is not a comparison at all. 

You see how everyone on the board has shown passionate disappointment when this team underachieved this passed season. And the reverse was true last season. Imagine that passion if we would have won the whole thing. Years for wanting your team to win a Super Bowl and they finally do. Why can't you be happy about that for longer than Sunday. Or is it not your team because you don't get payed by them lol. 

How does that not register to you at all? Why are you even talking on a message board when the team is not playing if that is the case?