Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jawaan Taylor

Another gator but I believe the jags will have an eye on him.  

https://youtu.be/dzQ2IdJK22A

A three-year starter for the Gators, Taylor improved in every season, culminating with a dominant junior campaign. Taylor offers a rare blend of mass, length, mobility and power that make him an ideal starter at right tackle. He does have some technical improvements to be made with his hands and  playing with better leverage, which are fixable issues. Taylor has the upside to become an impact starter and fixture in a quality NFL offensive line.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM by Upper.)

I think our FO will like Taylor the most of the OTs because they will value Taylor's run game contributions more than they should, plus they will like that he profiles more as a RT since they won't want to give Cam legit competition yet.

But they will regret passing on Dillard. Easily the best pass blocker in the class, and also the best athlete in the class. I think the only reason Dillard isn't a good run blocker is because the Wash St system never asks him to. He has all of the tools to be a very good run blocker in time though.

Dillard LT and Cam RT >>>> Cam LT and Taylor RT

Do not like. He is an overrated run blocker and struggles more against speed rushers. I see him as a RT only and I want someone who has the ability to play RT or LT. TE should be the priority in round 1. Hockenson is not only a great pass catcher, but he's a better blocker than most OT's, including Taylor.

I should say I am not promoting him to be the pick as I am on the hockenson train. I just think he could be the pick and deserves some chatter. He seems pretty solid to me and would love the pick in rd 2 but don't think he will get there.

(03-23-2019, 04:37 PM)surfon Wrote: I should say I am not promoting him to be the pick as I am on the hockenson train.  I just think he could be the pick and deserves some chatter.  He seems pretty solid to me and would love the pick in rd 2 but don't think he will get there.

Maybe I'd be fine with him as a 2nd rounder, but he's nowhere near being one of the top 10 players in this draft. If we took him, it would be a clear sign of being a desperation pick, taking need over talent.

(03-23-2019, 04:03 PM)Upper Wrote: I think our FO will like Taylor the most of the OTs because they will value Taylor's run game contributions more than they should, plus they will like that he profiles more as a RT since they won't want to give Cam legit competition yet.

But they will regret passing on Dillard. Easily the best pass blocker in the class, and also the best athlete in the class. I think the only reason Dillard isn't a good run blocker is because the Wash St system never asks him to. He has all of the tools to be a very good run blocker in time though.

I agree! Plus Dillard would probably be available with a trade down. Cam and Taylor are the same guy to me.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 10:00 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-23-2019, 04:03 PM)Upper Wrote: I think our FO will like Taylor the most of the OTs because they will value Taylor's run game contributions more than they should, plus they will like that he profiles more as a RT since they won't want to give Cam legit competition yet.

(03-23-2019, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Do not like. He is an overrated run blocker and struggles more against speed rushers. I see him as a RT only and I want someone who has the ability to play RT or LT. TE should be the priority in round 1. Hockenson is not only a great pass catcher, but he's a better blocker than most OT's, including Taylor.

Lageman shares your views on Taylor.  He specifically stated he had a problem with Taylor's kickslides, but did not say whether or not that was a coachable flaw or not.

He also felt you shouldn't take a RT in the top ten, but that Dillard has the quick feet needed to play LT effectively.  Boselli didn't like Taylor, either.

Lageman would not hesitate to draft Dillard in the top ten and move Cam to RT.

The analysis was from the most recent "Happy Hour" broadcast from this past Thursday.  I will post it when the team posts it to their website.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-23-2019, 09:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

(03-23-2019, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Do not like. He is an overrated run blocker and struggles more against speed rushers. I see him as a RT only and I want someone who has the ability to play RT or LT. TE should be the priority in round 1. Hockenson is not only a great pass catcher, but he's a better blocker than most OT's, including Taylor.

Lageman shares your views on Taylor.  He specifically stated he had a problem with Taylor's kickslides, but did not say whether or not that was a coachable flaw or not.

He also felt you shouldn't take a RT in the top ten, but that Dillard has the quick feet needed to play LT effectively.  Boselli didn't like Taylor, either.

The analysis was from the most recent "Happy Hour" broadcast from this past Thursday.  I will post it when the team posts it to their website.

Interesting. I always believed Cam should be moved to the right side, but I'm not as high on Dillard as some people. When watching him at Senior Bowl practices, he seemed to get pushed backwards by stronger bull rushers. I liked his footwork, but he tended to get too upright and lost his center of gravity when facing stronger DE's, pushing him in reverse. That could be coachable and he can certainly get stronger, but IMO, that keeps him from being an "elite" OT right now, that should be drafted in the top 10. I certainly think he has a chance to be very good, but I believe you take players in the top 20 who are already very good. One guy I like a lot that we could select a little later is Tytus Howard of Alabama State. He got better and better as Senior Bowl week went on. He has a wider base and keeps his body lower, getting better leverage on opposing DE's. He'd be a great choice with our first pick in round 3 and he has experience at RT and LT.

The last time they drafted Taylor out of Florida in the first it worked out ok....still holding out hope for Hockenson in the first and O-line later in the draft.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(03-23-2019, 09:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Lageman shares your views on Taylor.  He specifically stated he had a problem with Taylor's kickslides, but did not say whether or not that was a coachable flaw or not.

To be clear, I don't want an OT at 7...but if we do I want it to be Dillard. His top shelf pass blocking on tape + elite shuttle scores = virtually as safe of an LT prospect as you can get.

I still prefer Hock, Metcalf, Sweat, and Oliver over Dillard.

I think the FO are actually higher on Will Richardson than people think. They haven't signed anyone in FA to compete for the starting job (that dude from the Bengals is purely depth at most on veteran minimum), and the approach in FA is to make sure there is a player they are happy to be a starter at each position. Whether they pick up another body or not at RT (and FS) will be instructive about their plans for Richardson.

If they don't pick anyone up in FA, you could make the argument that that shows they are comfortable with Richardson and therefore they won't draft Taylor at 7. Of course, you could also make the argument that it shows they aren't gonna sign anyone cos they already have Taylor pencilled in.

Not particularly thrilled with Taylor, certainly not at 7 overall. I can see Coughlin going OT at 7 though, no idea if to draft him or someone else.
I hope we go a different route.

(03-23-2019, 09:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Didn’t Lags also say that he didn’t think Cam would adjust well to the right side? 
(I think I remember that correctly but I’m not certain)

I'm also against taking Taylor in the first round. The Jaguars need as close to a "sure thing" in round 1 and avoid another bust. Hockenson is clearly that guy. Unless one of the defensive studs inexplicably drops enabling the Jags to trade back a little and still get him, just take him at 7 and don't worry about criticisms that tight ends shouldn't go so high.

The Jaguars do need to address right tackle, even if they like Richardson's potential. They can do that in either round 2 or with the first pick in round 3. Bobby Evans is my number 1 choice, but Tytus Howard, Kaleb McGary, Greg Little and David Edwards are other options in rounds 2 or 3. Most of these players will be there in the 2nd round and at least one will be there in the 3rd. Just follow their board and take BAP in round 2. If it's A.J. Brown, Kelvin Harmon, Deebo Samuel, Chris Lindstrom or Nasir Adderly they can get their guy and then address need with someone like Howard at the top of round 3.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 01:17 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-23-2019, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 09:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Lageman shares your views on Taylor.  He specifically stated he had a problem with Taylor's kickslides, but did not say whether or not that was a coachable flaw or not.

Interesting. I always believed Cam should be moved to the right side, but I'm not as high on Dillard as some people. When watching him at Senior Bowl practices, he seemed to get pushed backwards by stronger bull rushers. I liked his footwork, but he tended to get too upright and lost his center of gravity when facing stronger DE's, pushing him in reverse. That could be coachable and he can certainly get stronger, but IMO, that keeps him from being an "elite" OT right now, that should be drafted in the top 10. I certainly think he has a chance to be very good, but I believe you take players in the top 20 who are already very good. One guy I like a lot that we could select a little later is Tytus Howard of Alabama State. He got better and better as Senior Bowl week went on. He has a wider base and keeps his body lower, getting better leverage on opposing DE's. He'd be a great choice with our first pick in round 3 and he has experience at RT and LT.
Listening to Lageman, he seemed to address Dillard's seeming lack of physicality by indicating all he has to do in the running game is "get in the way" of defenders.

I was not impressed with Howard at all.

(03-24-2019, 08:00 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: The last time they drafted Taylor out of Florida in the first it worked out ok....still holding out hope for Hockenson in the first and O-line later in the draft.

Interestingly, Lageman wasn't overly impressed with Hockenson, either, especially his blocking, which was surprising.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-24-2019, 09:02 AM)Upper Wrote:

To be clear, I don't want an OT at 7...but if we do I want it to be Dillard. His top shelf pass blocking on tape + elite shuttle scores = virtually as safe of an LT prospect as you can get.

Of your list, replace Oliver with Fant. 

I think I prefer Fant over Hockenson, because the blocking is close, but the difference in the speed, athleticism, and separation on intermediate and deeper routes makes Fant more of a matchup problem for defenses than Hockenson.  At 6-5, 249 running a 4.51, who does the defense utilize to cover him?  He's too fast for most LBs and too big for most DBs.  Most teams don't have a Ramsey type CB with the size, speed and physicality to cover a guy like Fant the way we used Ramsey to cover Gronk, who has presented many of the same types of matchup problems for defenses throughout his career.  Now a TE running a 4.7 like Hockenson can still be quite effective in the passing game.  If you presume him a significantly superior blocker to Fant (not sure he is), then that adds an element of uncertainty to the defense depending on down and distance.  But I think defenses would have fewer adjustments to make for him and ultimately would be more conventional in their approach.

Not sure what I think of Metcalf.  Great genes, huge physique for a receiver, great speed.  But he can't seem to stay healthy, doesn't seem quick in and out of cuts, and by most accounts, he comes from a relatively unsophisticated offense in terms of his routes.

(03-24-2019, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Didn’t Lags also say that he didn’t think Cam would adjust well to the right side? 

I remember the opposite.  It was towards the end of that segment, but he said he would draft Dillard and move Cam to RT.  I think he may have posed that to Boselli.  Like I said when I find the link, I'll post it.

(03-24-2019, 11:28 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'm also against taking Taylor in the first round. The Jaguars need as close to a "sure thing" in round 1 and avoid another bust. Hockenson is clearly that guy. Unless one of the defensive studs inexplicably drops enabling the Jags to trade back a little and still get him, just take him at 7 and don't worry about criticisms that tight ends shouldn't go so high.

The Jaguars do need to address right tackle, even if they like Richardson's potential. They can do that in either round 2 or with the first pick in round 3. Bobby Evans is my number 1 choice, but Tytus Howard, Kaleb McGary, Greg Little and David Edwards are other options in rounds 2 or 3. Most of these players will be there in the 2nd round and at least one will be there in the 3rd. Just follow their board and take BAP in round 2. If it's A.J. Brown, Kelvin Harmon, Deebo Samuel, Chris Lindstrom or Nasir Adderly they can get their guy and then address need with someone like Howard at the top of round 3.

I readily admit I have not been privy to the practices and workouts the Jaguars brass have.  That said, the reliance and confidence in Richardson, if legitimate, concerns me a great deal.  In the limited preseason action he had last year, he didn't do anything that stuck out in a positive way to me, and I'm not sure what he could have done since going onto IR to inspire such confidence in him.

You are right that RTs have traditionally been available later.  However, I tend to get a little nervous when talking about a position of big need for the Jaguars being available later.  I think about teams at the mid to bottom of the first round like Minnesota, Houston, the Bolts, and the Rams, in addition to teams at the top of the 2nd round like the Giants that could use tackles, and I can envision scenarios where there is a sudden run at the position and we're left without if we're not careful.

That said, as to your closing point, I might be okay with a scenario where we wound up with Abram in the second.

(03-24-2019, 01:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 09:02 AM)Upper Wrote: To be clear, I don't want an OT at 7...but if we do I want it to be Dillard. His top shelf pass blocking on tape + elite shuttle scores = virtually as safe of an LT prospect as you can get.

Of your list, replace Oliver with Fant. 

I think I prefer Fant over Hockenson, because the blocking is close, but the difference in the speed, athleticism, and separation on intermediate and deeper routes makes Fant more of a matchup problem for defenses than Hockenson.  At 6-5, 249 running a 4.51, who does the defense utilize to cover him?  He's too fast for most LBs and too big for most DBs.  Most teams don't have a Ramsey type CB with the size, speed and physicality to cover a guy like Fant the way we used Ramsey to cover Gronk, who has presented many of the same types of matchup problems for defenses throughout his career.  Now a TE running a 4.7 like Hockenson can still be quite effective in the passing game.  If you presume him a significantly superior blocker to Fant (not sure he is), then that adds an element of uncertainty to the defense depending on down and distance.  But I think defenses would have fewer adjustments to make for him and ultimately would be more conventional in their approach.

Not sure what I think of Metcalf.  Great genes, huge physique for a receiver, great speed.  But he can't seem to stay healthy, doesn't seem quick in and out of cuts, and by most accounts, he comes from a relatively unsophisticated offense in terms of his routes.

(03-24-2019, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Didn’t Lags also say that he didn’t think Cam would adjust well to the right side? 

I remember the opposite.  It was towards the end of that segment, but he said he would draft Dillard and move Cam to RT.  I think he may have posed that to Boselli.  Like I said when I find the link, I'll post it.

Ah, I remember it was Boselli that expressed this about Cam now.

Probably not in the same show you heard, but I caught part of a show within the past three weeks in which Boselli went on for some time about how fans assume it’s no big deal for players to switch sides, when it is actually a very big deal for a strong percentage of players on the line. 
He went on to express some doubt that Cam would transition seamlessly.

Yep, I call that segment on 1010xl --- Boselli and Lagemen stated Tayler has a slow 1st step.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 03:53 PM by Bullseye.)

Here is the link to the Happy Hour broadcast from last Thursday.  There is a very brief discussion regarding the tEs overall and Hockenson in particular early on.  The discussion regarding the draft overall and Taylor in particular begins about the 30 minute mark.  Boselli asks Lageman if he would take Dillard, would he move Cam to RT, and Lageman replied "sure."

https://www.facebook.com/jacksonvillejag...480008441/