Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lessons from Ireland - part 1

This is the first of three or four threads about an episode in Irish history.

I am not an expert on Irish history by any means, and none of my ancestors are Irish. So I might not have all of the pertinent facts. I might get some stuff wrong, but that's what you guys are here for. Let me know.

This thread is about the potato famine.  For decades English and Scottish Lords had pushed the Irish people off of their land. They took the land that was considered best for growing wheat and grazing sheep and cows. The native Irish were left with lots of people but little land, and the only way they could sustain themselves was growing potatoes. The potato produced a lot more calories per acre and was a much better source of vitamins and minerals than what they had before. By the 1840s, the potato had actually prevented famines all over Europe many times, and there were poor farmers all over Europe, just like the Irish, who were totally dependent on the potato. When the potato blight struck, potato crops failed not just in Ireland but also France and Germany and Poland and Italy.

But the starvation was much worse in Ireland. The wheat crop and the barley crop in Ireland did not fail. Neither did the oats. In fact these grains were shipped to Southampton and Liverpool nearly every day from Ireland. Nearly everyone in Ireland, except for the large landowners who lived most of the year in Great Britain, could see the injustice.

English Parliament considered the question of whether to close Irish ports to food exports. Ireland had representatives in London's Parliament, in proportion to the population of Ireland. And the ordinary Irish men had the right to vote for them.  In earlier times, Catholics did not have the right to vote, but by this time they did. Some of these representatives were Catholic and some of them were Protestant.  All of the representatives that Ireland sent to represent them in London voted to close the ports. But the motion did not pass because ultimately great Britain did not care either way.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2019, 12:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: This is the first of three or four threads about an episode in Irish history.

I am not an expert on Irish history by any means, and none of my ancestors are Irish. So I might not have all of the pertinent facts. I might get some stuff wrong, but that's what you guys are here for. Let me know.

This thread is about the potato famine.  For decades English and Scottish Lords had pushed the Irish people off of their land. They took the land that was considered best for growing wheat and grazing sheep and cows. The native Irish were left with lots of people but little land, and the only way they could sustain themselves was growing potatoes. The potato produced a lot more calories per acre and was a much better source of vitamins and minerals than what they had before. By the 1840s, the potato had actually prevented famines all over Europe many times, and there were poor farmers all over Europe, just like the Irish, who were totally dependent on the potato. When the potato blight struck, potato crops failed not just in Ireland but also France and Germany and Poland and Italy.

But the starvation was much worse in Ireland. The wheat crop and the barley crop in Ireland did not fail. Neither did the oats. In fact these grains were shipped to Southampton and Liverpool nearly every day from Ireland. Nearly everyone in Ireland, except for the large landowners who lived most of the year in Great Britain, could see the injustice.

English Parliament considered the question of whether to close Irish ports to food exports. Ireland had representatives in London's Parliament, in proportion to the population of Ireland. And the ordinary Irish men had the right to vote for them.  In earlier times, Catholics did not have the right to vote, but by this time they did. Some of these representatives were Catholic and some of them were Protestant.  All of the representatives that Ireland sent to represent them in London voted to close the ports. But the motion did not pass because ultimately great Britain did not care either way.

1. Thanks. It's always good to learn something new.

2. I hope you mean 3 or 4 posts, not threads. We don't need separate threads for one topic.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Good post.

The Irish famine was essentially a genocide. They knew how bad the situation was in Ireland but continued to ship out food

I think the lesson here is that just holding a vote isn't enough sometimes to protect your rights.
The people you vote for have to have real power to protect you from the mob of people who aren't like you, have never been to your town, and don't care about you.
They let all the Irish men vote, and they let those representatives cast real votes in London's Parliament. But Ireland's population was only half as big as Great Britain's. If the UK had a Senate, it might have gone better, but Wales and Scotland and England still might have outvoted them three to one. What Ireland needed at the time was the ability to vote for its own local government, and for the federal government in London to have limited powers.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.