Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Divisional Draft Picks You DON'T Want to See

One of the things about the pre draft season like this is hoping for certain players to be chosen by your team.  Message boards and sports bars all over are being dominated by debates over the desireablility of certain players for their teams.  However, the flip side of that dynamic is simple.  NFL fans hate their divisional opponents and rivals, and do not want to see them succeed.  That is largely dependent upon whether they succeed in the draft.

Accordingly, what player(s) do you NOT want to see go to your divisional foes?

My list: 

1.  Tennessee-Hockenson or Fant.  For YEARS, the tacks have terrorized Jaguars defenses with a liberal use of TEs like Frank Wycheck and Delanie Walker.  With former Patriot Mike Vrabel as tack head coach. he appreciates the benefit of a versatile TE.  The last thing I want to see is either one of these guys end up with the tacks.

2.  Houston-Greedy Williams & D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss-They have lost a bit from their secondary this offseason, and still have gaping needs in the OL.  I don't want Watson getting any more protection.  But I also don't want that front seven to get any improved coverage from their secondary, giving them an extra count to get to the QB. Greedy Williams could provide that.  He likely won't be there, but I don't want to see him a Texan.  I also don't want to see Metcalf here.  Him working opposite of Hopkins would be a formidable duo.

3.  Indianapolis-Tie Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson and D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss-The Colts had a strong draft last year.  But you could argue they are still vulnerable in the DL, especially against the run.  Lawrence on the nose would make the Colts very difficult to run the ball at them, as he could dominate most centers and clog everything up inside, freeing up their LBs to wreak all kinds of havoc.  As for Metcalf, I have my doubts about him, but if he could succeed anywhere, it would be in an offense with Luck getting him the ball.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't care who any of them pick, as long as they all prove to be historically bad busts of a pick.

I want them to overdraft guys, have them flop out of the league, and watch them overspend in FA every year to try to make up for the loss.

That's not asking for too much, is it?

(03-25-2019, 11:49 AM)Mikey Wrote: I don't care who any of them pick, as long as they all prove to be historically bad busts of a pick.

I want them to overdraft guys, have them flop out of the league, and watch them overspend in FA every year to try to make up for the loss.

That's not asking for too much, is it?

Not at all, sir.  That seems a most prudent and reasonable request.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 12:50 PM by Caldrac.)

I agree with you regarding the tacks. Historically this team has failed miserably keeping receiving threats in check at the TE position. But they especially seem to struggle when it comes to divisional TE's. Hockenson or Fant to the tacks would NOT bode well for us. The tacks will have an interesting training camp and pre season though. Tannehill and Mariota duking it out will be a close one IMHO. They're honestly the same guy to me.

For the tinhorns. I don't want to see any offensive lineman end up there. I don't want to see a guy like Cody Ford or Chris Lindstrom end up down there to buy Watson more time. Especially with a 2nd year player like Taven Bryan potentially seeing action more inside than outside in 2019. Want to see more push, pressure from the interior this year outside of Dareus. Jones and Bryan need to step it up.

As far as the clots? Josh Jacobs at RB out of Alabama is probably my worst fear for them on draft night. Jacobs had limited touches for the Crimson Tide but he's so versatile, he looks like a Frank Reich player too. I would even throw a guy like Marquise Brown out of Oklahoma into this conversation too.

Any weapon Luck can get his hands on on offense is not good for us. Especially after they've built that offensive line up over the last two years. Now they'll continue to build around the skill positions. They already terrorized us enough with Ebron at TE last year. Giving any kind of potential threat out of the backfield or on the outside is a nightmare.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-25-2019, 12:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree with you regarding the tacks. Historically this team has failed miserably keeping receiving threats in check at the TE position. But they especially seem to struggle when it comes to divisional TE's. Hockenson or Fant to the tacks would NOT bode well for us. The tacks will have an interesting training camp and pre season though. Tannehill and Mariota duking it out will be a close one IMHO. They're honestly the same guy to me.

For the tinhorns. I don't want to see any offensive lineman end up there. I don't want to see a guy like Cody Ford or Chris Lindstrom end up down there to buy Watson more time. Especially with a 2nd year player like Taven Bryan potentially seeing action more inside than outside in 2019. Want to see more push, pressure from the interior this year outside of Dareus. Jones and Bryan need to step it up.  

As far as the clots? Josh Jacobs at RB out of Alabama is probably my worst fear for them on draft night. Jacobs had limited touches for the Crimson Tide but he's so versatile, he looks like a Frank Reich player too. I would even throw a guy like Marquise Brown out of Oklahoma into this conversation too.

Any weapon Luck can get his hands on on offense is not good for us. Especially after they've built that offensive line up over the last two years. Now they'll continue to build around the skill positions. They already terrorized us enough with Ebron at TE last year. Giving any kind of potential threat out of the backfield or on the outside is a nightmare.
Certainly the more the Texans neglect their OL, the more they stunt the development of Watson.

I've spent most of the past couple of weeks hoping a guy like Jay Ajayi wouldn't end up there in Indy.  I would add Jacobs and any other big, powerful guy who could pound the rock inside behind that OL to the list of those I don't want to see in Indy.

I don't want to see Christian Wilkins or Jerry Tillery in our division. Those guys are beasts.

Saw a mock that had Hockenson going to the colts....ugh
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-25-2019, 12:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree with you regarding the tacks. Historically this team has failed miserably keeping receiving threats in check at the TE position. But they especially seem to struggle when it comes to divisional TE's. Hockenson or Fant to the tacks would NOT bode well for us. The tacks will have an interesting training camp and pre season though. Tannehill and Mariota duking it out will be a close one IMHO. They're honestly the same guy to me.

This topic overall is worth a re-visit, IMO.

The Texans drafted a couple of tackles, but did they really help themselves?  I'm glad they didn't get Ford or Lindstrom.  I think both Howard and Scharping were taken a round too soon.

As for the tacks, no, they didn't get the TE that kills us, but they may have gotten a more dangerous weapon in AJ Brown.  If he and Corey Davis continue to develop, the tacks could have the best pair of WRs they have had since they were the Houston Oilers in the Run n Shoot era.

The Colts are sneaky.  While Nelson and Braden Smith get attention because they were on the offense blocking for Luck, the Colts have been stockpiling their defense over the last three drafts, including a defense heavy draft this year. with six of their first eight picks on that side of the ball.  I still think they could use a good between the tackles RB, and I'm still not sold they can stop the run, but if they hit on those picks (and Hooker will be two years removed from that knee injury he suffered against us his rookie year) they will be tough to beat.

(06-03-2019, 07:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

This topic overall is worth a re-visit, IMO.

The Texans drafted a couple of tackles, but did they really help themselves?  I'm glad they didn't get Ford or Lindstrom.  I think both Howard and Scharping were taken a round too soon.

As for the tacks, no, they didn't get the TE that kills us, but they may have gotten a more dangerous weapon in AJ Brown.  If he and Corey Davis continue to develop, the tacks could have the best pair of WRs they have had since they were the Houston Oilers in the Run n Shoot era.

The Colts are sneaky.  While Nelson and Braden Smith get attention because they were on the offense blocking for Luck, the Colts have been stockpiling their defense over the last three drafts, including a defense heavy draft this year. with six of their first eight picks on that side of the ball.  I still think they could use a good between the tackles RB, and I'm still not sold they can stop the run, but if they hit on those picks (and Hooker will be two years removed from that knee injury he suffered against us his rookie year) they will be tough to beat.
As long as Luck is healthy and they keep the wolves at bay? They'll always be a threat. I agree though. They may have a sleeping giant on defense. Leonard on defense last year may have been the sign it was in the works.

The tinhorns made some really head scratching picks to "improve" their blocking on offense. I completely agree with a few guys being over drafted. But they really have a lot of potential in Watson. He's fun as hell to watch at times at QB.

A.J Brown was a good pick for the tacks. But I felt bad for him. I feel Vrabel is too old school approach wise and he may waste away on a run oriented offense. I also think Tannehill and Mariota duking it out will ultimately hinder chemistry and development this summer on offense.

I think we did enough to leap out of the basement this year. I don't know if Foles will be the same guy he was for the Eagles. But we have the defense. And if the Offensive line holds up and Fournette can pick up steam early and often I feel we could at least be fighting for a play off spot come December.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-03-2019, 08:35 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 07:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: This topic overall is worth a re-visit, IMO.

As long as Luck is healthy and they keep the wolves at bay? They'll always be a threat. I agree though. They may have a sleeping giant on defense. Leonard on defense last year may have been the sign it was in the works.

The tinhorns made some really head scratching picks to "improve" their blocking on offense. I completely agree with a few guys being over drafted. But they really have a lot of potential in Watson. He's fun as hell to watch at times at QB.

A.J Brown was a good pick for the tacks. But I felt bad for him. I feel Vrabel is too old school approach wise and he may waste away on a run oriented offense. I also think Tannehill and Mariota duking it out will ultimately hinder chemistry and development this summer on offense.

I think we did enough to leap out of the basement this year. I don't know if Foles will be the same guy he was for the Eagles. But we have the defense. And if the Offensive line holds up and Fournette can pick up steam early and often I feel we could at least be fighting for a play off spot come December.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
At this stage, I think the big question on the Colts' defense is the DL.  Can they stop the run?  Can they rush the passer?  If they play with a lot of leads, it will mitigate both of those questions, but I don't see another Freeney/Mathis there.

When Watson is on, he is absolutely electric.  If the Texans fail to protect him and he takes another beating, it may shorten his career.  While he can move, he doesn't have the big physique to take the punishment.

I'm not sure Vrabel is as old school as you may think  He came from New England and based upon the team's acquisitions the past year or so, I think they are slowly moving away from the old school approach, employing it in some circumstances-namely against us and at KC in the playoffs.

As for our Jaguars, we are in agreement.  I still believe, even with the new offense, our basic approach will still be a run heavy one, not asking Foles to do too much.  The great news for us is that he is much better equipped to succeed in that approach than Bortles because of his leadership, experience, and accuracy.  If the offense can be healthy, we can execute that style of offense far more efficiently than we have even in 2017.  With our defense, if we can find even a decent replacement for Telvin Smith, we should still be very good.  We absolutely MUST get better against the run, though.  I can't stomach Derrick Henry running the ball down our throats any more.  He owned us last year.

AJ Brown is the pick I hated the most. The good thing is the Titans don't have a good enough QB to where Brown can be elite. Another good thing is we have Ramsey and Bouye

(06-03-2019, 10:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: AJ Brown is the pick I hated the most.  The good thing is the Titans don't have a good enough QB to where Brown can be elite.  Another good thing is we have Ramsey and Bouye

Agreed on both counts...and I would even add Hayden. 

He's played well for us at nickel.

As a tacks fan, i didnt want the jags to take a young QB or an offensive weapon. Mission accomplished I suppose.

(06-04-2019, 12:13 PM)VondyP Wrote: As a tacks fan, i didnt want the jags to take a young QB or an offensive weapon. Mission accomplished I suppose.

Maybe. 

Josh Oliver is worth keeping an eye on in that regard. The third round TE figures to be used creatively in our new coordinator's scheme.  He's 6'5" - 250  with decent wheels and good hands.

(06-04-2019, 12:13 PM)VondyP Wrote: As a tacks fan, i didnt want the jags to take a young QB or an offensive weapon. Mission accomplished I suppose.

Agreed, I'd much rather have the SB MVP QB from 2 years ago and the QB with multiple QB records

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM by VondyP.)

(06-04-2019, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Agreed, I'd much rather have the SB MVP QB from 2 years ago and the QB with multiple QB records

i would also prefer you have nick foles than a qb with tremendous upside. 

he's definitely startable, but he doesnt have the potential of a good rookie. foles has reached his peak, and has never accomplished anything outside of philly in a simplified system. oh, and you didnt give him any weapons, which he had an abundance of in philly and still only looked "meh" outside of that playoff run.

(06-04-2019, 12:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Maybe. 

Josh Oliver is worth keeping an eye on in that regard. The third round TE figures to be used creatively in our new coordinator's scheme.  He's 6'5" - 250  with decent wheels and good hands.

oh i know all about josh oliver, i took him as a sleeper in my dynasty rookie draft last month. foles loves him some TE and your coaching staff fell in love with him very early on in the draft process. i think you overdrafted him personally, but he could work out.

but, i'm still really glad he isnt hockenson or fant. you guys could have had either.

Josh Allen of course. He has potential to be a thorn in our side for a long time.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 11:26 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-05-2019, 07:35 AM)Psychop1 Wrote: Josh Allen of course. He has potential to be a thorn in our side for a long time.

Good. 

You guys have had more than your fair share of guys who have been thorns in our sides.  It's way past time we returned the favor.

(06-04-2019, 05:47 PM)VondyP Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agreed, I'd much rather have the SB MVP QB from 2 years ago and the QB with multiple QB records

i would also prefer you have nick foles than a qb with tremendous upside. 

he's definitely startable, but he doesnt have the potential of a good rookie. foles has reached his peak, and has never accomplished anything outside of philly in a simplified system. oh, and you didnt give him any weapons, which he had an abundance of in philly and still only looked "meh" outside of that playoff run.

(06-04-2019, 12:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Maybe. 

oh i know all about josh oliver, i took him as a sleeper in my dynasty rookie draft last month. foles loves him some TE and your coaching staff fell in love with him very early on in the draft process. i think you overdrafted him personally, but he could work out.

but, i'm still really glad he isnt hockenson or fant. you guys could have had either.
I like Hockenson and Fant, but I am glad we wound up with Allen over them.

Okay, just purely speculating, and perhaps saying 1+1=3, but the Texans fired their GM right after they got a real good look at all their 2019 draft picks in the voluntary minicamp.

Am I wrong to draw some sort of inference from that?

(06-09-2019, 06:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, just purely speculating, and perhaps saying 1+1=3, but the Texans fired their GM right after they got a real good look at all their 2019 draft picks in the voluntary minicamp.  

Am I wrong to draw some sort of inference from that?

I'm not sure about that just yet, but the Texans have now fired two GMs who worked with Bill O'Brien.

How long before he starts taking blame?