Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
House Dems fail to override Trump veto

House Dems fail to override Trump veto in fight over border emergency declaration

House Democrats on Tuesday failed to override President Trump’s first veto as part of their battle over border security, representing a victory for the administration that allows the president's declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border to stand.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-f...-on-border
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2019, 05:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: House Dems fail to override Trump veto in fight over border emergency declaration

House Democrats on Tuesday failed to override President Trump’s first veto as part of their battle over border security, representing a victory for the administration that allows the president's declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border to stand.

Overriding takes 2/3 of the entire house . At this time(and nearly every other time in history), it requires the participation of both parties to pass.  Whichever party had less than two-thirds of its members voting in favor of the override, is the one that you should blame for the failure to override.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-26-2019, 05:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 05:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: House Dems fail to override Trump veto in fight over border emergency declaration

Overriding takes 2/3 of the entire house . At this time(and nearly every other time in history), it requires the participation of both parties to pass.  Whichever party had less than two-thirds of its members voting in favor of the override, is the one that you should blame for the failure to override.

Why blame?

The President issued an order dealing with national security.  One party is trying to block it by passing the resolution solely for political purpose.  It was vetoed by The President and the majority of The House chose not to override it.

People that think that border security is not a crisis dealing with national security should take a trip down to the New Mexico, Arizona and California border.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-26-2019, 06:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 05:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: Overriding takes 2/3 of the entire house . At this time(and nearly every other time in history), it requires the participation of both parties to pass.  Whichever party had less than two-thirds of its members voting in favor of the override, is the one that you should blame for the failure to override.

Why blame?

The President issued an order dealing with national security.  One party is trying to block it by passing the resolution solely for political purpose.  It was vetoed by The President and the majority of The House chose not to override it.

People that think that border security is not a crisis dealing with national security should take a trip down to the New Mexico, Arizona and California border.

That's an interesting suggestion, that they should visit the border area.
You know, our House of Representatives has a member for each area in the country. So some of them don't need to visit, they live there! I wonder how the members whose districts are along the border voted?

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 06:57 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-26-2019, 06:40 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 06:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Why blame?

You know, our House of Representatives has a member for each area in the country. So some of them don't need to visit, they live there! I wonder how the members whose districts are along the border voted?

So what are you saying? We don't need border security?

Besides, I don't really care what a bunch of politicians in suits say. I am more keen to listen to the actual border patrol who do say this is a crisis and do say a barrier is needed.

Maybe it will take one of those graphic drug cartel executions on US soil for people to finally take this issue serious.

I don't know how members of those counties voted, but I would think that they probably didn't vote "present".

Here's a little something to watch that you don't see every day.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-26-2019, 06:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 06:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's an interesting suggestion, that they should visit the border area.

So what are you saying? We don't need border security?

Besides, I don't really care what a bunch of politicians in suits say. I am more keen to listen to the actual border patrol who do say this is a crisis and do say a barrier is needed.

Maybe it will take one of those graphic drug cartel executions on US soil for people to finally take this issue serious.

We definitely need border security along the entirety of both borders.

That doesn't mean it has to be a wall though.

Let me get this straight:
Voters in the border area: not credible at all.
The fraction of voters in the border area who decided to apply for jobs at CBP: totally credible.

With their average populations being over 80% Mexican or Mexican American and nearly the same percentage of the district representatives also being of the same...how do you think they voted? Do you think a wall serves their interests? Yeah, I wouldn’t bet on it.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

There is no national emergency at the US border. It's overblown and it's a political trick Trump used to override his defeat. It's yet another tantrum.

(03-26-2019, 11:44 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: There is no national emergency at the US border.  It's overblown and it's a political trick Trump used to override his defeat.  It's yet another tantrum.

Translation: I don't know anyone directly affected by the emergency at the border therefore I know best.

(03-26-2019, 11:44 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: There is no national emergency at the US border.  It's overblown and it's a political trick Trump used to override his defeat.  It's yet another tantrum.

No Emergency.......

Daily border crossings by undocumented migrants hit 13-year highs

Homeland Security is now in talks with the Defense Department to care for the overflow on U.S. military bases, according to a DHS official and two other U.S. officials.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigra...hs-n987396
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(03-26-2019, 10:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 06:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's an interesting suggestion, that they should visit the border area.

With their average populations being over 80% Mexican or Mexican American and nearly the same percentage of the district representatives also being of the same...how do you think they voted? Do you think a wall serves their interests? Yeah, I wouldn’t bet on it.

I'm glad that you see that a wall doesn't serve their interests. 
I don't understand why you assume that their interests and mine diverge. I'm a US citizen, and so are they.

(03-27-2019, 08:58 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: With their average populations being over 80% Mexican or Mexican American and nearly the same percentage of the district representatives also being of the same...how do you think they voted? Do you think a wall serves their interests? Yeah, I wouldn’t bet on it.

I don't understand why you assume that their interests and mine diverge. I'm a US citizen, and so are they.

You have illegals traipsing across you property day and night? Interesting.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-27-2019, 06:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: I'm glad that you see that a wall doesn't serve their interests. 

You have illegals traipsing across you property day and night? Interesting.

One more time for the folks in the back row: 
A house is not a country.
A family is not a country.
A backyard is not a country.
A country is a public entity.
There's a classic Woody Guthrie song that discusses this concept. Clearly there was a time when it was easily understood.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 08:05 PM by B2hibry.)

(03-27-2019, 08:58 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: With their average populations being over 80% Mexican or Mexican American and nearly the same percentage of the district representatives also being of the same...how do you think they voted? Do you think a wall serves their interests? Yeah, I wouldn’t bet on it.

You live on the border? Hire illegals? Cross the border legally and illegally for work? Depend on the Mexican vote to maintain your office position? Accept pet money from minority businesses? Depend on border crossing to prop up your business? Maintain safe houses? Have illegals crossing through your property? Yeah, your interests in Orlando sound absolutely identical.

(03-27-2019, 08:04 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: I'm glad that you see that a wall doesn't serve their interests. 

You live on the border? Hire illegals? Cross the border legally and illegally for work? Depend on the Mexican vote to maintain your office position? Accept pet money from minority businesses? Depend on border crossing to prop up your business? Maintain safe houses? Have illegals crossing through your property? Yeah, your interests in Orlando sound absolutely identical.

I have no intent of visiting the border soon, but I want the border area, just like anywhere else, to be a peaceful place where people can come and set up businesses where they all can help their neighbors for money.

And hopefully they'll make a little extra money so they can save some up and spend it to see Mickey Mouse or some of his neighbors. That way I get money.

Building a big wall with barbed wire through the middle of their mess makes this area more like a war zone and less like a home. Warzones and ghettos behind barbed wire produce refugees and terrorists. Safe and prosperous communities produce tourists. I know what I want. Why do you make your choice?

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM by B2hibry.)

(03-27-2019, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:04 PM)B2hibry Wrote: You live on the border? Hire illegals? Cross the border legally and illegally for work? Depend on the Mexican vote to maintain your office position? Accept pet money from minority businesses? Depend on border crossing to prop up your business? Maintain safe houses? Have illegals crossing through your property? Yeah, your interests in Orlando sound absolutely identical.

I have no intent of visiting the border soon, but I want the border area, just like anywhere else, to be a peaceful place where people can come and set up businesses where they all can help their neighbors for money.

And hopefully they'll make a little extra money so they can save some up and spend it to see Mickey Mouse or some of his neighbors. That way I get money.

Building a big wall with barbed wire through the middle of their mess makes this area more like a war zone and less like a home. Warzones and ghettos behind barbed wire produce refugees and terrorists. Safe and prosperous communities produce tourists. I know what I want. Why do you make your choice?
I want a sovereign nation with strong immigration policies and strong border security that keeps the system suckers out of the country. I would actually post signage giving a warning and then provide a standing order to fire upon those crossing illegally. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You want to come here, it should be in the best interest of the United States and utilizing the proper channels. This playing pattycake [BLEEP] has to stop!

Maybe you and Mickey can fly down on Dumbo to utopia word and pass out lollipops.

(03-27-2019, 08:04 PM)B2hibry Wrote:

Actually, that does kinda sound like living next to Disney World.

(03-27-2019, 08:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 06:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You have illegals traipsing across you property day and night? Interesting.

One more time for the folks in the back row: 
There's a classic Woody Guthrie song that discusses this concept. Clearly there was a time when it was easily understood.

Woody Guthrie was a communist, everything he put in that trite little garbage song was anti-American. Clearly there was a time when people understood that concept.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-27-2019, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:04 PM)B2hibry Wrote: You live on the border? Hire illegals? Cross the border legally and illegally for work? Depend on the Mexican vote to maintain your office position? Accept pet money from minority businesses? Depend on border crossing to prop up your business? Maintain safe houses? Have illegals crossing through your property? Yeah, your interests in Orlando sound absolutely identical.

If they come in legally, there is nothing stopping them from saving up to go to Disney World. Having said that, since they illegally cross in the West, doesn't Disneyland make more sense?

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM by mikesez.)

(03-28-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: One more time for the folks in the back row: 

Woody Guthrie was a communist, everything he put in that trite little garbage song was anti-American. Clearly there was a time when people understood that concept.

Yeah, his understanding of how agriculture and industry work wasn't great.  Oh well.  He also has no notable comments on immigration policy.  It's a good song that says we're all in this together.  The guy was friends with Steinbeck.  Steinbeck was complicated too.  Joined a club for writers that identified as communist, wrote a letter in support of the USSR, also wrote letters in support of our efforts in the Vietnam War.  Taking great artistic expressions from the past and rejecting them because they fall in a certain pigeonhole of your personal political framework today ain't a great look.  If you had gotten a chance to talk to Woody, he may have understood your concerns.  You may have understood his.  But personally condemning a man who died 50 years ago and never killed anyone is, uh, odd.