Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
House Dems fail to override Trump veto

(03-28-2019, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: I have no intent of visiting the border soon, but I want the border area, just like anywhere else, to be a peaceful place where people can come and set up businesses where they all can help their neighbors for money.

And hopefully they'll make a little extra money so they can save some up and spend it to see Mickey Mouse or some of his neighbors. That way I get money.

Building a big wall with barbed wire through the middle of their mess makes this area more like a war zone and less like a home. Warzones and ghettos behind barbed wire produce refugees and terrorists. Safe and prosperous communities produce tourists. I know what I want. Why do you make your choice?

If they come in legally, there is nothing stopping them from saving up to go to Disney World. Having said that, since they illegally cross in the West, doesn't Disneyland make more sense?

if you build a big freaking wall in their backyards, you hurt their property values and quality of life.
Most of the people who live in the border area and vote have ancestry who lived in the area dating back to 1848, when the US first took that land from Mexico. 
As for the illegal immigrants, by now they are all over the country. They go where the work is.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-28-2019, 11:43 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If they come in legally, there is nothing stopping them from saving up to go to Disney World. Having said that, since they illegally cross in the West, doesn't Disneyland make more sense?

if you build a big freaking wall in their backyards, you hurt their property values and quality of life.
Most of the people who live in the border area and vote have ancestry who lived in the area dating back to 1848, when the US first took that land from Mexico. 
As for the illegal immigrants, by now they are all over the country. They go where the work is.

What about the people impacted by eminent domain when they expand a freeway and put a huge sound barrier wall in their back yard? Do they earn your sympathy too or does this only apply the the US/Mexico border?

(03-28-2019, 12:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 11:43 AM)mikesez Wrote: if you build a big freaking wall in their backyards, you hurt their property values and quality of life.

What about the people impacted by eminent domain when they expand a freeway and put a huge sound barrier wall in their back yard? Do they earn your sympathy too or does this only apply the the US/Mexico border?

Highways facilitate commerce and commerce facilitates the creation of wealth. People involved with creating wealth might earn good wages and save up money to become tourists.
A wall may be necessary to preserve wealth in hostile or difficult times, but, it doesn't create wealth, and anyways this isn't one of those times.

(03-28-2019, 11:32 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Woody Guthrie was a communist, everything he put in that trite little garbage song was anti-American. Clearly there was a time when people understood that concept.

Yeah, his understanding of how agriculture and industry work wasn't great.  Oh well.  He also has no notable comments on immigration policy.  It's a good song that says we're all in this together.  The guy was friends with Steinbeck.  Steinbeck was complicated too.  Joined a club for writers that identified as communist, wrote a letter in support of the USSR, also wrote letters in support of our efforts in the Vietnam War.  Taking great artistic expressions from the past and rejecting them because they fall in a certain pigeonhole of your personal political framework today ain't a great look.  If you had gotten a chance to talk to Woody, he may have understood your concerns.  You may have understood his.  But personally condemning a man who died 50 years ago and never killed anyone is, uh, odd.

And appealing to him to support your case isn't? Lol.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-28-2019, 12:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 11:43 AM)mikesez Wrote: if you build a big freaking wall in their backyards, you hurt their property values and quality of life.

Freeway expansion is not something that should be subject to eminent domain in the first place. The road is already there.

(03-28-2019, 01:31 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 12:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What about the people impacted by eminent domain when they expand a freeway and put a huge sound barrier wall in their back yard? Do they earn your sympathy too or does this only apply the the US/Mexico border?

Freeway expansion is not something that should be subject to eminent domain in the first place. The road is already there.

One of my  properties is an eminent domain threat for the widening of 95 near downtown. Already hired an ED attorney. To be honest, I would love for it to be ED. Hired the attorney to get top dollar for that baby from FDOT.

(03-28-2019, 01:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 11:32 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yeah, his understanding of how agriculture and industry work wasn't great.  Oh well.  He also has no notable comments on immigration policy.  It's a good song that says we're all in this together.  The guy was friends with Steinbeck.  Steinbeck was complicated too.  Joined a club for writers that identified as communist, wrote a letter in support of the USSR, also wrote letters in support of our efforts in the Vietnam War.  Taking great artistic expressions from the past and rejecting them because they fall in a certain pigeonhole of your personal political framework today ain't a great look.  If you had gotten a chance to talk to Woody, he may have understood your concerns.  You may have understood his.  But personally condemning a man who died 50 years ago and never killed anyone is, uh, odd.

And appealing to him to support your case isn't? Lol.

I appealed to the work of art, not the man.

(03-28-2019, 02:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 01:31 PM)TJBender Wrote: Freeway expansion is not something that should be subject to eminent domain in the first place. The road is already there.

One of my  properties is an eminent domain threat for the widening of 95 near downtown. Already hired an ED attorney. To be honest, I would love for it to be ED. Hired the attorney to get top dollar for that baby from FDOT.

The government buying land from you at an agreed-upon price is fine by me. My problems begin when the government says, "We're taking your land. Here's 50% of what the amount we're seizing is worth, without taking into account diminished value of the rest of your land of course."

(03-28-2019, 02:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 01:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And appealing to him to support your case isn't? Lol.

I appealed to the work of art, not the man.

You use the term art pretty loosely.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato