Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The aftermath of QB Pro Days

Let me preface by stating I understand that it's almost impossible for a QB to mess up his own Pro Day.  However, the past couple of weeks have seen Haskins, Lock, Murray and, today, Jones, do very well by all accounts in their pro day workouts.  It's to the point where all four are now deemed by observers on NFL Network and ESPN to be first round QBs.  In fact, some mocks have now three (3) QBs going in the top 10, with Murray going to Arizona, Haskins maybe going to the Giants, and Lock going to Denver, with Jones now viewed as a first round pick, ranging anywhere from Denver, Cincinnati and Miami from 10-12, Washington at 15, or a team like the Chargers at 28.  Assuming these talking heads have their fingers on the pulse of league reaction to these workouts, I'm left to wonder what impact this will have on the Jaguars sitting at 7.  For those of us looking for early immediate impact starters on the offense, such a development may leave us disappointed, even if it ultimately makes us contenders. for a longer period of time (assuming) we hit on the pick).

If there is a top 5 run on the QBs, with teams trading into the top spots to land the signal callers, obviously it would likely mean one or more of the stud defensive players like Bosa, Allen or Williams will drop to us at 7.  While based solely on need, I want an offensive player at 7, if one of those guys fell to us at 7, I would be hard pressed to pass on them.  Any of those three guys would immediately upgrade the defensive line.  Williams would have us set at DT for years to come (assuming Bryan develops) with Bryan being the power guy and Williams being the quick penetrator.  Bosa and Allen would both be worthy successors to Calais Campbell, and, in the short term, would give us a very strong rotation at DE that would be reminiscent of the 2017 rotation of Campbell, Ngakoue, and Fowler.  As an added bonus, any of those three guys would come at a significant age and cap hit reduction compared to Campbell and Dareus, which in turn should make it easier to re-sign Ngakoue, Jack, and Ramsey within the next two-three years.  

If three QBs are deemed to be top ten picks, would that make the Jaguars more inclined to draft one of them at 7, even though the team just signed Foles?  One of my long held philosophies is that if you have a thirty something QB-even a Pro Bowl caliber signal caller-and you have the chance to draft a potential franchise QB, you take the QB.  Applying this rule to the Jaguars, the Jaguars should take the QB.  Foles is thirty, has made a Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl MVP.  While he is certainly at the far youngest end of the thirty something spectrum, and while I really like him as a QB, his presence on the roster would not definitively permit me to pass on a guy I thought was a franchise QB.  Drafting a QB at seven would enable the team to replicate the gradual developments of stud signal callers like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb-something we have never been able to do with any of the first round signal callers we have taken before.    Such a strategy would be especially helpful if Haskins is our guy, as he only has a year of college starting experience.  As is the case of one of the consensus top three stud DLs falling, you could make the argument successfully drafting a franchise QB 7 would prolong our contention window-though perhaps not immediately.  Such a move may not be possible without three or four QBs ascending into potential top ten draft picks.  

Assuming trading down were a consideration, it would be a more viable option if Jones were not deemed a first round QB, or there was the perception of a huge gap between the top 3 and Jones.  Without Jones as a 1st round QB, teams like Washington, Miami, and Cincinnati would have to trade ahead of Denver (maybe even Detroit) to ensure one of the top 3 guys-assuming they were interested in drafting a long term answer at the position this year.  Conversely, these same QB needy teams outside of the top 10 who like Jones (or one of the others if Jones passes one or more of them) may be content to wait for him to fall to them instead of trading up, which would mean the extra picks in maybe the 2nd or 3rd rounds that so many of us on the message board lust after every offseason never materialize.  On the flip side, Jones' ascent to a first round passer might have a ripple effect on the Jaguars 2nd round pick, depending upon which team invested a first round pick on Jones.  For instance, if the Patriots thought Jones was a worthy successor behind Brady and took him at 32, that means they likely would have passed up a replacement for Gronk (Irv Smith?), which means he could be there for us at 38.  Or if he is gone, perhaps a team that took him earlier left a top tier defender on the board for Belichick to re-stock the unit that throttled the Rams.  

From the perspective of either forcing a highly rated defender to fall, having what the team feels as a potential franchise signal caller there at seven, or having the ability to possibly trade back and accumulate picks and players, the ascent of Lock and Jones as definite first round signal callers can be a boon to this team's ability to contend, but it may not immediately satisfy the offense thirsty Jaguars fans.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd be ecstatic if the Jags took Haskins at 7.

Although, from strictly a timing perspective given Foles contract, a 2020 QB selection makes more sense in terms of maximizing value. (or even 2021 if Foles has a successful 2019)
Will there be an equal or greater prospect to Haskins in the 2020/2021 drafts?  
It's at least a minor gamble to be sure.

My thought process for the upcoming draft is to find offensive help for Foles that will enable the team to take advantage of anticipated low scores from many of their opponents.
OL, TE, RB2, WR in some semblance of that order are the menu for this armchair GM.
Obviously, with the potential of defensive value mixed in if the right player(s) fall.

It's just all about managing draft capital and weighing/balancing it against a hefty free agent QB contract for me.
I love Haskins as a prospect and I'd be thrilled with the pick, but I think better long term value may be possible by waiting.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 02:01 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

At this point no matter how much I want Haskins, with Foles now signed, there is no point in drafting a QB at all. We have other needs to fill, like getting Foles some protection and finding him a safety net at TE.

(03-27-2019, 02:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: At this point no matter how much I want Haskins, with Foles now signed, there is no point in drafting a QB at all. We have other needs to fill, like getting Foles some protection and finding him a safety net at TE.

Agreed, I like Grier a lot but we have as ton of needs and we need to try and give the Qb some help

(03-27-2019, 02:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: At this point no matter how much I want Haskins, with Foles now signed, there is no point in drafting a QB at all. We have other needs to fill, like getting Foles some protection and finding him a safety net at TE.

but, what if that guy is really good? that's the main point here. don't pass up a chance to draft a really good qb, whatever the current situation is.

trust me, i know where you're coming from... but there will always be a 'point' in drafting a good qb if you get the chance. it's a tricky situation.

(03-27-2019, 03:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote:

but, what if that guy is really good? that's the main point here. don't pass up a chance to draft a really good qb, whatever the current situation is.

trust me, i know where you're coming from... but there will always be a 'point' in drafting a good qb if you get the chance. it's a tricky situation.
But what if he isnt?  You wasted a first round pick when you already have a good QB and a ton of other needs.   The miss would hurt worse than it would help if you had 2 good QBs

I agree with this. What is they never thought that had a shot in the world at drafting him and suddenly he is there. You take him and worse case scenario he sits and learns for a couple years or if Foles is the long term answer, you trade him for a gang of picks.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I'd still be awfully happy with Tyree Jackson with the late 3rd or early 4th rounder if he's there.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019, 09:40 PM by pirkster.)

I recently saw a draft that mocked Jones to us with our second pick.  That wouldn't be bad.  But if not taking one with the second pick, I'm not sure there's anything worth taking a flier on at all after that.

https://twitter.com/TroyAikman/status/11...4121511938
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

If we can't get Haskins, I don't want any QB in this class. Haskins is the only one I believe will be a good future starting QB. Given that we have Foles now, I'd rather pass on all the other QB's and wait until next year, after we see how the team does with Foles.

No to any Qb in first 3 rounds to me (now). But what I really like to see is people falling to us so we can move back and get more picks. But that seems to be something this regime never does.

(03-28-2019, 11:39 PM)newporttom Wrote: No to any Qb in first 3 rounds to me (now). But what I really like to see is people falling to us so we can move back and get more picks.  But that seems to be something this regime never does.

Agreed. We never take advantage of those opportunities.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 03:00 AM by archer56.)

What about stidham for a later round select to learn from foles and sit on the bench a few years?

His pro day seem to have went well

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/0...-seen.html
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(03-29-2019, 02:58 AM)archer56 Wrote: What about stidham for a later round select to learn from foles and sit on the bench a few years?

His pro day seem to have went well

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/0...-seen.html

Not a fan.

(03-28-2019, 09:39 PM)pirkster Wrote:

I recently saw a draft that mocked Jones to us with our second pick.  That wouldn't be bad.  But if not taking one with the second pick, I'm not sure there's anything worth taking a flier on at all after that.

https://twitter.com/TroyAikman/status/11...4121511938

I saw a mock that put him at our second pick, and nearly retched. If he falls to our third, maybe. I want a QB with higher ceiling than backup/fringe starter that early.