Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Safety at the top of round 2

(03-30-2019, 05:45 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 05:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How could you possibly watch that Ohio State game and still think the guy is a good player?

The game he made several huge tackles , stopped a TD in the end zone and created the biggest turnover of the game? He played well bar two missed tackles in pursuit. And besides one game sample don't mean a player is good or bad.

He was supposed to provide Safety help over the top on that 68 yard bomb to McLaurin and was out of position. He was torched by Hill on a long pass which would've been a TD, but the ball was slightly overthrown. He did tip a pass which lead to a TD by his teammate, but he also should've had an INT, but dropped it. He was lucky his teammate was there. He was beat by Hill for a TD. Campbell beat him and the CB for a key catch late in the game, in double coverage. I will credit him for a nice defended pass in the endzone, but as a whole, it was not a good game for him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2019, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 05:45 AM)JackCity Wrote: The game he made several huge tackles , stopped a TD in the end zone and created the biggest turnover of the game? He played well bar two missed tackles in pursuit. And besides one game sample don't mean a player is good or bad.

He was supposed to provide Safety help over the top on that 68 yard bomb to McLaurin and was out of position. He was torched by Hill on a long pass which would've been a TD, but the ball was slightly overthrown. He did tip a pass which lead to a TD by his teammate, but he also should've had an INT, but dropped it. He was lucky his teammate was there. He was beat by Hill for a TD. Campbell beat him and the CB for a key catch late in the game, in double coverage. I will credit him for a nice defended pass in the endzone, but as a whole, it was not a good game for him.

Nope his responsibility on the play was MOF. The corner bit in and left McLaurin wide open. Savage wasn't playing angel coverage. 

He was within two steps of Hill on that pass, not exactly torched, but sure could have done better. 

No Hill scored with someone in man coverage on him. Savage was covering back of end zone. Corner backs failing to cover their man doesn't make it a bad play by the safety. 

Yes agreed Campbell beat him there. 

So from my eyes: 
 Several big tackles ✓
Created the biggest play of the game ✓
Stopped a sure fire TD late in the game✓
TFL✓ 

Was steps away on a 25 yard incompletion X
Gave up a short pass late to Campbell X
Two missed tackles X

I'll take that game every week from my safety

(03-30-2019, 11:18 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He was supposed to provide Safety help over the top on that 68 yard bomb to McLaurin and was out of position. He was torched by Hill on a long pass which would've been a TD, but the ball was slightly overthrown. He did tip a pass which lead to a TD by his teammate, but he also should've had an INT, but dropped it. He was lucky his teammate was there. He was beat by Hill for a TD. Campbell beat him and the CB for a key catch late in the game, in double coverage. I will credit him for a nice defended pass in the endzone, but as a whole, it was not a good game for him.

Nope his responsibility on the play was MOF. The corner bit in and left McLaurin wide open. Savage wasn't playing angel coverage. 

He was within two steps of Hill on that pass, not exactly torched, but sure could have done better. 

No Hill scored with someone in man coverage on him. Savage was covering back of end zone. Corner backs failing to cover their man doesn't make it a bad play by the safety. 

So from my eyes: 
 Several big tackles ✓
TFL✓ 

Two missed tackles X

According to the OSU announcers, he was supposed to provide extra coverage on that 68 yard bomb. Sorry, but I'll trust the guys who were in the press box, watching the game.

I wouldn't doubt if we got a safety in round 2 and address O-line in round 3. Taylor Rapp is my guy though, I think he'll be the best safety in the class.

(03-30-2019, 02:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 11:18 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nope his responsibility on the play was MOF. The corner bit in and left McLaurin wide open. Savage wasn't playing angel coverage. 

So from my eyes: 
 Several big tackles ✓
TFL✓ 

Two missed tackles X

According to the OSU announcers, he was supposed to provide extra coverage on that 68 yard bomb. Sorry, but I'll trust the guys who were in the press box, watching the game.

The 68 yard bomb doesn't happen without blown coverage by the corner. Watch Savage before the play and his role on the inbreaking WR2 route. The corner bit on Haskins and left McLaurin 30 yards open.

I think some of the difference in opinion here is you are negatively grading a safety for his teammates blowing coverage, where as that only matters to me if it was Savages role to stop that coverage bust from happening. Probably why you think he got cooked all year but most other people (and the stats) say he was great in coverage. He'd given up a grand total of 190 yards in coverage towards the end of November

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was at the Florida Fl St game, people need to go put on the tape of Garder in that game. The guy was a 1 man wrecking crew. If we do go safety early he will probably be the guy. He played like that all year