Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The merits of drafting TE in the first

(04-02-2019, 09:02 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 01:56 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think all of Risner, Lindstrom, Bradbury, McGary, and Jenkins will be gone by our 2nd rounder so we should be able to go DL in the first while still getting a good OL in the 2nd and taking advantage of the pass catcher depth to get a Knox/Sternberger/Wilson and any number of solid WR left.

Imagine an Oliver, McGary, Knox, Isabella draft...

My concern is that not all of those guys can play RT.

Sure, Bradbury and Lindstrom can upgrade Cann, but if they can't play T, then even if we take Hockenson in the first, his impact in the passing game would be mitigated by having to keep him in to block.

Yeah.

I think coming away from this draft without a legit challenger to Richardson for the RT spot would be a fail, personally. 

I mean, I'd obviously be happy if Richardson turns out to be a better-than-just-solid RT for the Jags, I just feel they need to give both he and Cann competition to win their spots.  A good RT prospect with the ability to play guard would kill two birds w/ one stone there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If y'all are concerned with that then you're already putting yourself into Taylor or bust at 7 territory.

(04-03-2019, 12:45 PM)Upper Wrote: If y'all are concerned with that then you're already putting yourself into Taylor or bust at 7 territory.
Nah

#7 Hockenson

#38 Risner

I'd be good with McGary or Risner in the 2nd. I'd probably take Risner over McGary since he has played guard and center too

(04-03-2019, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 12:45 PM)Upper Wrote: If y'all are concerned with that then you're already putting yourself into Taylor or bust at 7 territory.
Nah

#7 Hockenson

#38 Risner

The only way to guarantee it's not Richardson + scraps at RT is to take Taylor at 7. Risner is probably less than a 10% chance of being there at 38, and McGary is probably a coin flip at best right now. He's rising like a bullet.

That said, I'm not terrified of Richardson and Wells at RT if we did miss out on both. Far better than forcing the Taylor pick at 7.

(04-03-2019, 01:19 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 12:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah

#7 Hockenson

#38 Risner

The only way to guarantee it's not Richardson + scraps at RT is to take Taylor at 7. Risner is probably less than a 10% chance of being there at 38, and McGary is probably a coin flip at best right now. He's rising like a bullet.

That said, I'm not terrified of Richardson and Wells at RT if we did miss out on both. Far better than forcing the Taylor pick at 7.

Yeah I think our depth signings have given us a bit of breathing space, they don't have to force anything now. With the possible exception of a TE.

#7 Hockenson

#38 Risner

I just don't understand all the love for Taylor at #7. He isn't even the best tackle in this class which is Williams or Dillard. Why are mock drafts forcing Taylor so hard?

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 01:48 PM by Upper.)

(04-03-2019, 01:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I just don't understand all the love for Taylor at #7. He isn't even the best tackle in this class which is Williams or Dillard. Why are mock drafts forcing Taylor so hard?

Cause he's most natural at RT which is our bigger need, because he is better at run blocking than pass blocking and everyone knows how backwards our offense is, and lastly because he's a Gator.

(04-03-2019, 01:48 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 01:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I just don't understand all the love for Taylor at #7. He isn't even the best tackle in this class which is Williams or Dillard. Why are mock drafts forcing Taylor so hard?

Cause he's most natural at RT which is our bigger need, because he is better at run blocking than pass blocking and everyone knows how backwards our offense is, and lastly because he's a Gator.

I'm curious how they 'know' this since we have a new quarterback and new offensive coordinator who is supposed to be tailoring an offense to the quarterback's strengths.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

There have been quotes about not much changing philosophically offensively and still believing in establishing the run to set up play action and junk.

Taylor makes the most sense. Coughlin loves linemen. And he does fill a big need. We can get that Bama TE at #2.

I'd sure like to upgrade the safety position. Anyone worth taking in the third round?

The fact that Hock can pretty much block better than most of the tackles in the draft makes him worth that #7.

(04-03-2019, 01:55 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Taylor makes the most sense. Coughlin loves linemen. And he does fill a big need.  We can get that Bama TE at #2.

I'd sure like to upgrade the safety position. Anyone worth taking in the third round?
I know he loves lineman but Taylor isn't even the best one in this draft. It would be a huge mistake to take Taylor just because he played RT. Williams is extremely versatile and Dillard is the best pass blocking tackle in this class.

I want Hockenson in round 1 but if they do go lineman, I really hope it's not Taylor.

I don't think yall understand anything. A TE literally changes how a defense can defend an offense. We've been barren at TE for years. I'm sick of us not addressing this position.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(04-03-2019, 01:54 PM)Upper Wrote: There have been quotes about not much changing philosophically offensively and still believing in establishing the run to set up play action and junk.

I'd like to see a couple of those quotes because everything I've heard from Marrone is balanced offense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-03-2019, 01:55 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Taylor makes the most sense. Coughlin loves linemen. And he does fill a big need.  We can get that Bama TE at #2.

I don't see that happening. I believe 3 TE's will go in round 1 (Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith) and one will go in round 2 (Dawson Knox) and one in round 3 (Caleb Wilson.)

(04-03-2019, 02:06 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The fact that Hock can pretty much block better than most of the tackles in the draft makes him worth that #7.

Amen!

(04-03-2019, 01:54 PM)Upper Wrote: There have been quotes about not much changing philosophically offensively and still believing in establishing the run to set up play action and junk.

Only quotes I've seen have been Marrone adamant the offense will be quite close to what Foles had with the Eagles with some extra pieces added on (more power type plays to keep Lenny comfortable is my guess)

#7 Hockenson

#38 Risner

Not the only way...  We could draft a left tackle and move Cam to the right side.  Might be easier on Cam's left knee that way anyway.

I'm kind of torn myself...  As much as I feel we could use a real upgrade on the line, Hockensen would make whatever tackle he lined up next to better if his blocking is as good as advertised.
Either way, I'd prefer Taylor not be the pick.

(04-03-2019, 02:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I don't see that happening. I believe 3 TE's will go in round 1 (Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith) and one will go in round 2 (Dawson Knox) and one in round 3 (Caleb Wilson.)

(04-03-2019, 02:06 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: The fact that Hock can pretty much block better than most of the tackles in the draft makes him worth that #7.

Amen!

I dont see Sternberger making it to the 4th round

Im prepared to be disappointed at us not taking hoc in the first. I think if you have the ability to draft a T E that can play like ertz/kelce but also block like a RT or better he is bettet than any O line in the draft
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]