Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lions GM open to trading down in the first

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...irst-round

Hopefully we put this out there as well being we are 1 spot ahead of the Lions

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-03-2019, 10:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...irst-round

Hopefully we put this out there as well being we are 1 spot ahead of the Lions

We seem to put out a message like this every year, but never do.

That said, if the Lions truly are interested in trading down, perhaps that will send a few calls our way for teams looking to move up as high as possible without going too far to get their guy.

I'm not sure of Haskins and Lock being on the board at 7 helps us or not.

On the one hand, if Haskins is on the board, obviously a team that likes him may offer a deal to us.  That would work the same for a team interested in Lock.

On the other hand, if both QBs are on the board, teams will assume Detroit and Buffalo won't go QB, so at least one of them should be on the board at 10 or 11.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Regarding Caldwell and the potential trade down:

I've heard interviews with him where he has discussed the pros and cons.
He says they are almost always open to offers and at times have sought them.
However -- he also says that a chance to get one great player early often outweighs the chance to get three "good" ones later.
(he was specifically referencing the Ramsey selection and offers he received for the pick with that ^)

Where Coughlin's mind is on the trade down potential this year would be great to know.

We most assuredly won't know unless it happens twenty days from now.

(04-05-2019, 09:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Regarding Caldwell and the potential trade down:

I've heard interviews with him where he has discussed the pros and cons.
He says they are almost always open to offers and at times have sought them.
However  -- he also says that a chance to get one great player early often outweighs the chance to get three "good" ones later.
(he was specifically referencing the Ramsey selection and offers he received for the pick with that ^)

Where Coughlin's mind is on the trade down potential this year would be great to know.

We most assuredly won't know unless it happens twenty days from now.

I have heard the same from Caldwell and I agree with that philosophy.  Now if there is a similar grade amongst the players on the board, or there are several viable draft targets, then I am all for trading back.

Of course, I think where a team is in its building can help govern the strategy.  A team that is where we were when Caldwell first took the reins may benefit more from the volume that comes from trading back than an established contender.  Of course, the 1986 49ers offer a strong counter argument to that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Yep, every year Caldwell has said he's willing to trade down, every year he said he's gotten offers to trade down while on the clock, and every time he's said the value wasn't good enough.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-05-2019, 11:03 AM)Upper Wrote: Yep, every year Caldwell has said he's willing to trade down, every year he said he's gotten offers to trade down while on the clock, and every time he's said the value wasn't good enough.

This is also close to what occurs with the Lions under Bob Quinn. This is Quinn's 4th draft. He has yet to make a trade in Round 1. From Round 2 on, Quinn has been much more aggressive.