Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leonard Wester signed

Jaguars just signed swing tackle Leonard Wester. He started one game for the Bucs last season. He's still young and will compete for the right tackle spot. Imagine it was another inexpensive signing, but hopefully he has not yet reached his potential. At least a couple other teams apparently showed interest in him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Which hopefully shows that the team wont be stupid and reach for Taylor at #7.

Look at who's left in the OL pool in the 2nd/3rd round.

Who?

(04-04-2019, 06:27 PM)TJBender Wrote: Who?

A swing tackle who has been with the Bucs for the past 3 seasons. Only 26 years old.

Just another depth signing, but it should help make it so we aren't forced to reach for an average RT at #7.

(04-04-2019, 06:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Which hopefully shows that the team wont be stupid and reach for Taylor at #7.

Will have zero bearing on that

(04-04-2019, 07:02 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 06:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Which hopefully shows that the team wont be stupid and reach for Taylor at #7.

Will have zero bearing on that

I think it means more that they're going to likely give Will Richardson every chance to lose the job at RT. I think they're higher on him than many people believe.

He was a 2nd round talent who fell in the draft due to off field concerns. They called Richardson a value pick in the 4th, much like Harrison in the 3rd.

Who says they even have Taylor high enough to even be in the consideration at #7 in the first place? It's basically all the talking heads just trying to force him to us at that spot.

(04-04-2019, 07:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: Will have zero bearing on that

I think it means more that they're going to likely give Will Richardson every chance to lose the job at RT. I think they're higher on him than many people believe.

He was a 2nd round talent who fell in the draft due to off field concerns. They called Richardson a value pick in the 4th, much like Harrison in the 3rd.

Who says they even have Taylor high enough to even be in the consideration at #7 in the first place? It's basically all the talking heads just trying to force him to us at that spot.

I think its more so just loading up on bodies for camp and such.  

I'm sure they do like Richardson, but also I can see them viewing Taylor as being the final piece to their line, they've shown a lot of interest in him and he's going top 20 if not at 7. Personally think he's overrated but I do also think they are genuinely interested in him too, he fits what they look for.

(04-04-2019, 07:36 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I think it means more that they're going to likely give Will Richardson every chance to lose the job at RT. I think they're higher on him than many people believe.

I think its more so just loading up on bodies for camp and such.  

I'm sure they do like Richardson, but also I can see them viewing Taylor as being the final piece to their line, they've shown a lot of interest in him and he's going top 20 if not at 7. Personally think he's overrated but I do also think they are genuinely interested in him too, he fits what they look for.

I just don't see how anybody could have much confidence in a supposed top 10 OT who played at 320-330lbs, yet gets bodied around by a 230lbs Brian Burns. I understand Burns is a good player, but that just shouldn't happen, especially for a guy who is suppose to be a top 10 talent.

Then you add onto the fact that he looks like he's basically just a RT, I don't see how that kind of guy can be a top 10 talent.

I never think A RT is a good value pick in the top 10. If he was the blind side that's one thing but not RT. The only exception is if he is really special and Taylor is not.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think its more so just loading up on bodies for camp and such.  

I just don't see how anybody could have much confidence in a supposed top 10 OT who played at 320-330lbs, yet gets bodied around by a 230lbs Brian Burns. I understand Burns is a good player, but that just shouldn't happen, especially for a guy who is suppose to be a top 10 talent.

Then you add onto the fact that he looks like he's basically just a RT, I don't see how that kind of guy can be a top 10 talent.

Plenty of good NFL tackles have got bodied at one point or another in college and Burns is great/terrible matchup for him to be fair. Taylors one of those big maulers that football guys fall in love with, not so different from Cam Robinson to be honest.  Jonah is a good deal better imo.  

I think passing on some of the godly talent for a lesser talent like Taylor wouldn't be wise but can see them doing it

(04-04-2019, 07:55 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I just don't see how anybody could have much confidence in a supposed top 10 OT who played at 320-330lbs, yet gets bodied around by a 230lbs Brian Burns. I understand Burns is a good player, but that just shouldn't happen, especially for a guy who is suppose to be a top 10 talent.

Plenty of good NFL tackles have got bodied at one point or another in college and Burns is great/terrible matchup for him to be fair. Taylors one of those big maulers that football guys fall in love with, not so different from Cam Robinson to be honest.  Jonah is a good deal better imo.  

I think passing on some of the godly talent for a lesser talent like Taylor wouldn't be wise but can see them doing it

I get that, but when you're 100 pounds heavier than dude, you shouldn't be getting one arm benched pressed.. He should instead be getting a hold of that guy and punishing him into the turf.

When I look at a big, nasty mauler, it's Risner.

I don't see that with Taylor.

(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think its more so just loading up on bodies for camp and such.  

Can you show me where he gets bodied by Burns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwGLoyU_aI

He played some of the best pass rushers in the country in Sweat, Burns, Allen, Gary, Winovich, and a few others.  I dont remeber Jawaan really getting manhadled by any of them.  Burns played on the left side early and later in the game but even Ivey had decent success against him.  Polite was the best pass rusher in that Fl St game by a good margin.  Gardner had a best of a game too.

Heres a good breakdown against Josh Allen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9k0RUEvnOI

(04-04-2019, 08:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I just don't see how anybody could have much confidence in a supposed top 10 OT who played at 320-330lbs, yet gets bodied around by a 230lbs Brian Burns. I understand Burns is a good player, but that just shouldn't happen, especially for a guy who is suppose to be a top 10 talent.

Can you show me where he gets bodied by Burns?

He played some of the best pass rushers in the country in Sweat, Burns, Allen, Gary, Winovich, and a few others.  I dont remeber Jawaan really getting manhadled by any of them.  Burns played on the left side early and later in the game but even Ivey had decent success against him.  Polite was the best pass rusher in that Fl St game by a good margin.  Gardner had a best of a game too.

There were clips going around a couple weeks ago about it and I don't really care enough to watch that 20 minute video to find the exact plays.

I'm not saying Taylor is a bad player, but he isn't a top 10 talent in this draft imo. We'd be stupid to pass up a trade down, or Hockenson, or one of the DL guys that will likely still be on the board at #7.

I think Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner are both better than Taylor and if RT is what they deem a must in the 1st round, trade down to the mid/late teens/early 20s and take one of them over reaching for Taylor.

Even then though, I think we'd be just fine with going after a RT in the 2nd/3rd/4th round honestly.

I think it would be dumb for them to take a lesser player at #7 just for the sake of taking that position, but this is the same front office who thought Fournette was a good pick at #4, so who knows.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-04-2019, 09:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 08:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Can you show me where he gets bodied by Burns?

There were clips going around a couple weeks ago about it and I don't really care enough to watch that 20 minute video to find the exact plays.

I'm not saying Taylor is a bad player, but he isn't a top 10 talent in this draft imo. We'd be stupid to pass up a trade down, or Hockenson, or one of the DL guys that will likely still be on the board at #7.

I think Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner are both better than Taylor and if RT is what they deem a must in the 1st round, trade down to the mid/late teens/early 20s and take one of them over reaching for Taylor.

Even then though, I think we'd be just fine with going after a RT in the 2nd/3rd/4th round honestly.

I think it would be dumb for them to take a lesser player at #7 just for the sake of taking that position, but this is the same front office who thought Fournette was a good pick at #4, so who knows.

I was at the game live and just watched that whole 20 min video to see if i missed something.  Burns didnt do anything really, Sweat was more effective than Burns was but Jawaan played him pretty good too, and Josh Allen also.  I dont want Taylor at 7 either because id rather trade back or take Oliver, Hockenson, or Metcalf.  But to say he got bodied or had a bad game was false. If you want to see a good pass rusher in that game watch Jabari Zuniga and Polite

I'm not a big Jawaan Taylor advocate by any means, but if the folks bad-mouthing him are basing any of that from that Zach Goodall twitter thread... well...  that was some pretty terrible analysis.

I'm amazed at how many of these young upstarts on twitter that gain thousands of followers seriously don't know what they are looking at. 

I actually agree with the majority of Goodall's stuff, but that Taylor thread was very telling of either his bias against the player or his inability to analyze tackle play.  Or both.

on topic: 

Despite the longshot nature of this signing -  I'm glad they are being proactive about placing depth trying to prevent another 2018 situation.

(04-04-2019, 10:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm not a big Jawaan Taylor advocate by any means, but if the folks bad-mouthing him are basing any of that from that Zach Goodall twitter thread... well...  that was some pretty terrible analysis.

I'm amazed at how many of these young upstarts on twitter that gain thousands of followers seriously don't know what they are looking at. 

I actually agree with the majority of Goodall's stuff, but that Taylor thread was very telling of either his bias against the player or his inability to analyze tackle play.  Or both.

on topic: 

Despite the longshot nature of this signing -  I'm glad they are being proactive about placing depth trying to prevent another 2018 situation.

Couldn't you say that about anybody though? People see what they want to see, regardless. Two people rarely ever see the same exact thing when it comes to any prospect. Some look for different things than others, etc etc. That's why it's best to get multiple takes, from multiple people, as well as doing your own scouting of said player/s and never base anything off of what just one person said/thinks.

I don't think anybody is bad-mouthing Taylor. If you're referencing me with that, thinking I'm bad-mouthing him, you're wrong because I'm not. I said he's a good player, but he isn't a top 10 pick talent wise in this draft imo.

I think it'd be a big mistake if we took him #7 overall, just like I thought it would have been a mistake to take Fournette #4 overall in 2017 and right now, that pick is looking like a huge mistake.

(04-04-2019, 10:22 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm not a big Jawaan Taylor advocate by any means, but if the folks bad-mouthing him are basing any of that from that Zach Goodall twitter thread... well...  that was some pretty terrible analysis.

on topic: 

Couldn't you say that about anybody though? People see what they want to see, regardless. Two people rarely ever see the same exact thing when it comes to any prospect. Some look for different things than others, etc etc. That's why it's best to get multiple takes, from multiple people, as well as doing your own scouting of said player/s and never base anything off of what just one person said/thinks.

I don't think anybody is bad-mouthing Taylor. If you're referencing me with that, thinking I'm bad-mouthing him, you're wrong because I'm not. I said he's a good player, but he isn't a top 10 pick talent wise in this draft imo.

I think it'd be a big mistake if we took him #7 overall, just like I thought it would have been a mistake to take Fournette #4 overall in 2017 and right now, that pick is looking like a huge mistake.

Wasn't directed at you. I was simply shocked at that thread wherein ZG tried to call Taylor out as failing on snaps that he either won or played solid enough to allow the offensive play to function. 

FWIW - I'd grade him as a late first rounder. And I was of the same mind with LF.

(04-04-2019, 10:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:22 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Couldn't you say that about anybody though? People see what they want to see, regardless. Two people rarely ever see the same exact thing when it comes to any prospect. Some look for different things than others, etc etc. That's why it's best to get multiple takes, from multiple people, as well as doing your own scouting of said player/s and never base anything off of what just one person said/thinks.

Wasn't directed at you. I was simply shocked at that thread wherein ZG tried to call Taylor out as failing on snaps that he either won or played solid enough to allow the offensive play to function. 

FWIW - I'd grade him as a late first rounder. And I was of the same mind with LF.

Ok, I gotcha and I agree.

I'd be far more accepting of taking Taylor if we traded down some and then drafted him. Would mean we'd gain some draft assets and still help that position. It still wouldn't be my first, second, or even third choice, but it'd definitely soften the blow a little bit.

I think all of our FA adds this off season made it easier for us to play the draft board and take BAP (I think that's the hope/thought around this time, every season though lol). We added enough depth that we shouldn't have our hands forced to take "said" position, but let the board fall will it may. Well, at least I think that's the hope anyways lol.

Man are these next 3 weeks going to take forever.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 11:05 PM by Upper.)

on topic: 

I haven't seen this twitter thread that you are talking about, but I am a gator fan that has seen pretty much every game of Taylor. He's good for what he is, but I highly doubt anyone watching him ever said oh yeah that's a top 10 pick right there.

Unfortunately, what he is is not what the NFL is right now. The mauling right side of the oline that might be susceptible to a good pass rush just isn't a thing anymore. He has the lowest pass blocking grade of all of PFFs top 7 or however many OL it was in that graph.

I also think he would do poor in the short shuttle too...which as Justis and Norris have shown this offseason is incredibly important for OTs. Almost or just as good of an indicator as 3 cone is for EDGE. I'm just not taking a bad positional value, whose strengths do not align with the current NFL, and didn't do any athletic testing top 10. But I fear our FO will.