Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags' Offensive Tackle Draft Pattern

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM by knarnn.)

Jags sleeper pick:

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...02561?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2019, 04:16 PM by JackCity.)

I wouldn't call him much of a sleeper pick for us, been talked about as an option at 7 for months.

Much prefer him to Taylor if that's the route they go down

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenFennell_NF...9076998145

My Risner crush is getting out of hand

(04-10-2019, 04:33 PM)Kane Wrote: I'd pee myself a little if we end up with Hock and Risner with our first two picks.

Me too. This is my dream scenario.
'02

I had forgotten Cam had tested pretty well everywhere bar vertical and shuttle ( which is important tbf)

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/857810753117728768

That helps show just how important the shuttle is. You can be plus at pretty much everything else, but if you are not light on your feet laterally you're going to struggle as a pass blocker.

(04-15-2019, 04:38 PM)Upper Wrote: That helps show just how important the shuttle is. You can be plus at pretty much everything else, but if you are not light on your feet laterally you're going to struggle as a pass blocker.

Thats why Taylor gives me pause. Cam had the "mobile for his size" , which is true, but is feet weren't very mobile and were fairly uncoordinated. I think Taylor is similar, better feet than Cam but still not good. Very much so in that brawler tackle archetype. 

Also being extremely technically refined makes the shuttle matter way less. The likes of Joe Thomas , Ronnie Stanley, Mitchell Schwartz all tested terribly in it but all their footwork is so precise it didn't limit them as much. I think the same applies for someone like Jonah Williams this year

Of course there are outliers, are you willing to bet yet another elite draft pick on a guy who is going to have to be an outlier?

(04-15-2019, 06:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Of course there are outliers, are you willing to bet yet another elite draft pick on a guy who is going to have to be an outlier?

A slow shuttle doesn't mean your feet are bad is the point. High level technique bridges the gap for people with sub par measurements in certain areas (this can apply for every drill). So for a prospect like Jonah I'm not worried about his shuttle and agility as being barriers to success vs prospects with bad technique and bad agility.  

If you aren't applying context to combine tests you're just staring at half your hand in a game of poker.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM by Upper.)

It doesn't have to, but it usually does. I bet if you look back at every Joe Thomas type you find half a dozen that were said to also have great technique but poor shuttles and failed.

Maybe Jonah is one of those outliers, but there is another prototype out there who has better grades on far more sets...and is as elite as it gets physically. It's a no contest to me.

(04-15-2019, 08:28 PM)Upper Wrote: It doesn't have to, but it usually does. I bet if you look back at every Joe Thomas type you find half a dozen that were said to also have great technique but poor shuttles and failed.

Maybe Jonah is one of those outliers, but there is another prototype out there who has better grades on far more sets...and is as elite as it gets physically. It's a no contest to me.

What good pass rushers did Dillard go up against?

(04-09-2019, 05:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Big shocker that the (not a match) tier is the tier w/ the good players. We emphasize the stuff that doesn't correlate to NFL success and we reap the non rewards.

You realize the Jaguars had a season where they surrendered only 24 sacks just two years ago, with players picked by Caldwell. right?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-10-2019, 01:46 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm not a Little fan. He does barely make the minimum threshold for shuttle, but I don't like what I watched of him. I would much prefer McGary at 38. I guess if he's there in the 3rd it wouldn't be so bad though.

I haven't watched Tytus so I don't really want to comment too much on him. He has a very poor athletic profile other than his weight and 40 yard dash, which is like the least important drill for an OL. I think he might be interesting if he were moved to guard, but I really can't say too strongly.
(emphasis added)

So what is more important, game tape or workout numbers?

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 09:39 PM by JackCity.)

(04-15-2019, 08:28 PM)Upper Wrote: It doesn't have to, but it usually does. I bet if you look back at every Joe Thomas type you find half a dozen that were said to also have great technique but poor shuttles and failed.

In the same way that the 3 cone doesn't measure your footwork on routes, the 20 yard shuttle doesn't measure your footwork on pass sets. Your footwork on each of those are integrated techniques. Its great to have upper tier agility but you also need the technique or it doesn't mean much in the NFL.  

Yeah this isn't a Jonah vs Dillard debate, just that Jonahs shuttle isn't much of a death sentence due to his high level technique. Dillards gonna be a v good tackle

(04-15-2019, 09:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 05:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Big shocker that the (not a match) tier is the tier w/ the good players. We emphasize the stuff that doesn't correlate to NFL success and we reap the non rewards.

You realize the Jaguars had a season where they surrendered only 24 sacks just two years ago, with players picked by Caldwell. right?

We've Pat Flaherty to thank for that

(04-15-2019, 09:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:

In the same way that the 3 cone doesn't measure your footwork on routes, the 20 yard shuttle doesn't measure your footwork on pass sets. Your footwork on each of those are integrated techniques. Its great to have upper tier agility but you also need the technique or it doesn't mean much in the NFL.  

Yeah this isn't a Jonah vs Dillard debate, just that Jonahs shuttle isn't much of a death sentence due to his high level technique. Dillards gonna be a v good tackle

(04-15-2019, 09:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You realize the Jaguars had a season where they surrendered only 24 sacks just two years ago, with players picked by Caldwell. right?

We HAD Pat Flaherty to thank for that.

SMH.

(04-15-2019, 09:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: In the same way that the 3 cone doesn't measure your footwork on routes, the 20 yard shuttle doesn't measure your footwork on pass sets. Your footwork on each of those are integrated techniques. Its great to have upper tier agility but you also need the technique or it doesn't mean much in the NFL.  

We HAD Pat Flaherty to thank for that.

SMH.

Yup! The biggest loss of this offseason

(04-15-2019, 09:55 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We HAD Pat Flaherty to thank for that.

SMH.

Yup! The biggest loss of this offseason

Marion Hobby is arguably just as big.

Shaking my head in dismay.  We're I a drinker, I would get drunk over this and the revisiting of Blackmon.

Sigh.

(04-15-2019, 10:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:55 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yup! The biggest loss of this offseason

Marion Hobby is arguably just as big.

Shaking my head in dismay.  We're I a drinker, I would get drunk over this and the revisiting of Blackmon.

Sigh.

For sure, I'd be interested to know the specifics of what went wrong there. Especially with Tom and Flats being pals.  

Rest easy though, in two weeks we'll have a rookie class to fawn over all the way into preseason.

(04-15-2019, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 10:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Marion Hobby is arguably just as big.

Sigh.

For sure, I'd be interested to know the specifics of what went wrong there. Especially with Tom and Flats being pals.  

Rest easy though, in two weeks we'll have a rookie class to fawn over all the way into preseason.

Or [BLEEP] about.

This IS the Jaguars fan base we are talking about here!

(04-15-2019, 10:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: For sure, I'd be interested to know the specifics of what went wrong there. Especially with Tom and Flats being pals.  

Or [BLEEP] about.

This IS the Jaguars fan base we are talking about here!

i wanted to say fawn or [BLEEP] about but wanted to be positive lol