Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mel and Todd answer questions

Tonight on ESPN Todd McShay and Mel Kiper answered draft questions from viewers and one was about the Jaguars. One persona asked why they both mocked Jawaan Taylor to the Jags when both had T.J. Hockenson ranked higher on their boards. Both basically said it was because they felt OT was the biggest team need, but McShay also said that if he were the Jags, he would definitely draft Hockenson. He said Taylor struggled early in his time at Florida and continued to get better until he turned into a good OT, but Hockenson is that rare dual threat TE that does everything well and is definitely one of the top 5-7 players in the entire draft. Kiper said even so, he would still draft Taylor and look for a TE later in the draft. That didn't make much sense to me. You always take the higher rated player at a position of need. RT's can be found later in the draft. Finding a dual TE like Hockenson who can block and catch, only comes once in a blue moon.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-16-2019, 10:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Tonight on ESPN Todd McShay and Mel Kiper answered draft questions from viewers and one was about the Jaguars. One persona asked why they both mocked Jawaan Taylor to the Jags when both had T.J. Hockenson ranked higher on their boards. Both basically said it was because they felt OT was the biggest team need, but McShay also said that if he were the Jags, he would definitely draft Hockenson. He said Taylor struggled early in his time at Florida and continued to get better until he turned into a good OT, but Hockenson is that rare dual threat TE that does everything well and is definitely one of the top 5-7 players in the entire draft. Kiper said even so, he would still draft Taylor and look for a TE later in the draft. That didn't make much sense to me. You always take the higher rated player at a position of need. RT's can be found later in the draft. Finding a dual TE like Hockenson who can block and catch, only comes once in a blue moon.

The interesting thing is that from a historical perspective, good players at both TE and RT can be found later and neither position is typically taken in the top 10 of the draft.  But as you observed the way the TE position has evolved, you don't get the all around TE that can block and pose a threat in the passing game. 

For me, if we can't land the stud pass rusher, though I think Hockenson (and Fant) and Taylor can help, I go back to the history that shows the heavy early skill position emphasis can pay huge dividends.  Accordingly, if we were "forced" into taking a non QB, offensive player, Hockenson and Fant would be my preference over Taylor.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-17-2019, 08:02 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 10:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Tonight on ESPN Todd McShay and Mel Kiper answered draft questions from viewers and one was about the Jaguars. One persona asked why they both mocked Jawaan Taylor to the Jags when both had T.J. Hockenson ranked higher on their boards. Both basically said it was because they felt OT was the biggest team need, but McShay also said that if he were the Jags, he would definitely draft Hockenson. He said Taylor struggled early in his time at Florida and continued to get better until he turned into a good OT, but Hockenson is that rare dual threat TE that does everything well and is definitely one of the top 5-7 players in the entire draft. Kiper said even so, he would still draft Taylor and look for a TE later in the draft. That didn't make much sense to me. You always take the higher rated player at a position of need. RT's can be found later in the draft. Finding a dual TE like Hockenson who can block and catch, only comes once in a blue moon.

The interesting thing is that from a historical perspective, good players at both TE and RT can be found later and neither position is typically taken in the top 10 of the draft.  But as you observed the way the TE position has evolved, you don't get the all around TE that can block and pose a threat in the passing game. 

For me, if we can't land the stud pass rusher, though I think Hockenson (and Fant) and Taylor can help, I go back to the history that shows the heavy early skill position emphasis can pay huge dividends.  Accordingly, if we were "forced" into taking a non QB, offensive player, Hockenson and Fant would be my preference over Taylor.

Fant at 7 would be a huge reach

(04-17-2019, 08:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 08:02 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The interesting thing is that from a historical perspective, good players at both TE and RT can be found later and neither position is typically taken in the top 10 of the draft.  But as you observed the way the TE position has evolved, you don't get the all around TE that can block and pose a threat in the passing game. 

Fant at 7 would be a huge reach

I dunno... I've heard Fant = Ebron/Graham comps.

A reach sure, but I don't know how huge.
Dude is definitely a first round talent.

But I think Hock is more complete and way better of a pick at 7.
I've seen a Travis Kelce comp, George Kittle, and Kyle Rudolph.
yes please!

(04-17-2019, 12:05 PM)Kane Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 08:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Fant at 7 would be a huge reach

I dunno... I've heard Fant = Ebron/Graham comps.

A reach sure, but I don't know how huge.
Dude is definitely a first round talent.

But I think Hock is more complete and way better of a pick at 7.
I've seen a Travis Kelce comp, George Kittle, and Kyle Rudolph.
yes please!

Ebron or Graham at 7 would of been a huge reach.  You better get a complete TE if you take one that early.  Kittle or Todd Heap are good comp.  A better blocker than Kelce and Rudolph imo and a much better prospect than all 3

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!