Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is TE the need we think it is?

I keep seeing Hockenson at #7 mocked to us. "we have to pick a TE early"; "Foles really likes to utilize the TE" kind of talk etc. But i'm not so sure it's the glaring black hole others do. With Bortles as our QB it was obvious that he just couldn't hit certain throws... so they stopped calling them. If i had a dollar for every time Bortles' quick out was pick 6'd against us ... I could retire. Eventually Fisch, Olson, Hackett all seperately came to the conclusion that he can't hit that throw so don't bother calling it. 

Basically Bortles struggled on the outbreaking routes and stuff in the seam where most TE's make their living. Is it possible that we actually have decent talent in Swaim, O'Shaughnessy, Koyack etc. that was just underutilized due to our limitations behind center? O'Shaughnessy has hands, and seemed to get open a decent amount; I liked what i saw from Swaim in the few Cowboys games i saw but Dak prefers to live outside the numbers so i don't think he reached his full potential. 

While TE could use an Upgrade for sure; I think it's more important to add talent and depth at OL if our offense is going to succeed. I actually think Nick Foles will squeeze more production out of our TE group than we've gotten in YEARS. That said I don't think the dropoff from Hockenson to Irv Smith from Alabama is so vast that we need to throw a top 10 selection at the position. 

Thoughts?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes it's a huge need and hopefully Hockenson is the pick if we stay at 7

(04-19-2019, 11:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes it's a huge need and hopefully Hockenson is the pick if we stay at 7

2 questions:

1) Is TE more or less of a Need than Offensive Tackle (Right Tackle AND Left Tackle) this is assuming that Cam Robinson isn't fully recovered from his torn ACL going into week 1. If we remember Kelvin Beachum wasn't back to his previous level of play in that year he played here coming off an ACL tear.

2) Is Hockenson a transcendent talent at TE? Is he SOOO much better than Irv Smith, Noah Fant etc. that he's a "must pick" at #7 regardless of other needs or players available?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-19-2019, 11:15 AM)Firesky Wrote: I keep seeing Hockenson at #7 mocked to us. "we have to pick a TE early"; "Foles really likes to utilize the TE" kind of talk etc. But i'm not so sure it's the glaring black hole others do. With Bortles as our QB it was obvious that he just couldn't hit certain throws... so they stopped calling them. If i had a dollar for every time Bortles' quick out was pick 6'd against us ... I could retire. Eventually Fisch, Olson, Hackett all seperately came to the conclusion that he can't hit that throw so don't bother calling it. 

Basically Bortles struggled on the outbreaking routes and stuff in the seam where most TE's make their living. Is it possible that we actually have decent talent in Swaim, O'Shaughnessy, Koyack etc. that was just underutilized due to our limitations behind center? O'Shaughnessy has hands, and seemed to get open a decent amount; I liked what i saw from Swaim in the few Cowboys games i saw but Dak prefers to live outside the numbers so i don't think he reached his full potential. 

While TE could use an Upgrade for sure; I think it's more important to add talent and depth at OL if our offense is going to succeed. I actually think Nick Foles will squeeze more production out of our TE group than we've gotten in YEARS. That said I don't think the dropoff from Hockenson to Irv Smith from Alabama is so vast that we need to throw a top 10 selection at the position. 

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you make a lot of valid points.

I think people fall in love with players, and some posters have obviously fallen in love with Hockenson, and are constantly working on building the case for taking him at 7.

Picking TE would be HUGE mistake. You can find good talent in later rounds. Two of the best TE's in the NFL were 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wouldn't either go with tackle at 7 since there isn't anyone that stand out. Montez Sweat should be our pick if he's available.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-19-2019, 11:35 AM)KingJones Wrote: Picking TE would be HUGE mistake.  You can find good talent in later rounds.  Two of the best TE's in the NFL were 2nd and 3rd round picks.  I wouldn't either go with tackle at 7 since there isn't anyone that stand out.  Montez Sweat should be our pick if he's available.

Apparently Sweat has a heart condition or something.  I saw a video this AM where it was reported that 4 or 5 teams have taken him off their board because of the medical condition.

(04-19-2019, 11:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:35 AM)KingJones Wrote: Picking TE would be HUGE mistake.  You can find good talent in later rounds.  Two of the best TE's in the NFL were 2nd and 3rd round picks.  I wouldn't either go with tackle at 7 since there isn't anyone that stand out.  Montez Sweat should be our pick if he's available.

Apparently Sweat has a heart condition or something.  I saw a video this AM where it was reported that 4 or 5 teams have taken him off their board because of the medical condition.

It's being overblown.  From what I read it is nothing serious and he has not had any issues with it so far or anyone in his family.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Short answer: yes, TE is still a massive need

I'm quite high on Swaim and I agree that O'Shaughnessy could be in a position to contribute more with Foles under center, but I like those two players as no.2 and no.3 TEs in an offense that could feature multiple TE sets regularly. Let's be realistic, the guys we have now have all been released or cut elsewhere, it's unrealistic to think they are suddenly gonna become good starting options.

As for the TE vs OT debate, I would be fine with them going T in the first, I think the top level talent fades quicker at that position. But they need to go TE with one of their first 3 picks.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 11:55 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-19-2019, 11:25 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes it's a huge need and hopefully Hockenson is the pick if we stay at 7

2 questions:

1) Is TE more or less of a Need than Offensive Tackle (Right Tackle AND Left Tackle) this is assuming that Cam Robinson isn't fully recovered from his torn ACL going into week 1. If we remember Kelvin Beachum wasn't back to his previous level of play in that year he played here coming off an ACL tear.

2) Is Hockenson a transcendent talent at TE? Is he SOOO much better than Irv Smith, Noah Fant etc. that he's a "must pick" at #7 regardless of other needs or players available?
1.  I think TE and RT are our 2 biggest needs.  I think we can get a RT in the 2nd. I'd go BAP between the 2 and Hockenson is the BAP imo

2.  Yes, I think he is the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis and a lot of others fell the same way. If you look back over the last 20 years or so elite TEs help their QBs out tremendously.  I think Smith can be a good TE but not elite.  Fant is a good pass catcher  but I'd rather take one of the top WR if we go that route, like Metcalf or Brown.. Hockenson will not only help in the passing game but will open holes I'm the run game for Fournette also.  TEs like Hockenson don't come around often and he would be our best TE in franchise history and a huge hole since Lewis left.

I like Hockenson a lot and would love to get a combo of Hock/Knox in the 1st and 3rd but I won't be terribly upset if they decide against a TE in the 1st.

Yes, it's a need.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

TE is the #1 need. Finding a TE who can block and be a receiving threat is rare and Hockenson is excellent at both. Foles relied heavily on the TE position in Philly and right now, we have nothing at TE. RT's can be had later in the draft and like it or not, Robinson is our LT.

TE is the #1 need on the team, but we can get a good one later..I think the early 3rd is the sweet spot to get the left over of Sternberger, Knox, Warring, or Oliver. Other than McGary or Winovich I do not think we can get a good OT or DL after 7.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-19-2019, 12:13 PM)Upper Wrote: TE is the #1 need on the team, but we can get a good one later..I think the early 3rd is the sweet spot to get the left over of Sternberger, Knox, Warring, or Oliver. Other than McGary or Winovich I do not think we can get a good OT or DL after 7.

There will be a number of good DL players available in the 2nd for sure and probably the 3rd too

Foles even mentioned in his latest interview how important a good TE was to him so I'm sure Tom and Dave heard that and have to take that into consideration

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

We passed on TE last year and took a DT. I want an OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN RD 1 PLEASE. TE Would be lovely
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I'd love to take a TE at 7, but in my opinion, the offensive line is so fundamental to a football team that it trumps TE. A good offensive line lifts an entire offense.

BAP on the offense, which would be Hockenson

Major need.

Doesn’t have to be at #7, but not drafting one with one of those first four picks would be unwise given the apparent role of the position in DeFilippo’s anticipated offense.

(04-19-2019, 01:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'd love to take a TE at 7, but in my opinion, the offensive line is so fundamental to a football team that it trumps TE.    A good offensive line lifts an entire offense.

Well said. Part of me always wants a sexy pick and I need to remind myself that my fundamental belief is that an offense all starts up front, and if that part isn't working the whole offense has very little chance to succeed. I'll never have any problem with the decision to strengthen the o-line.

(04-19-2019, 02:14 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 01:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'd love to take a TE at 7, but in my opinion, the offensive line is so fundamental to a football team that it trumps TE.    A good offensive line lifts an entire offense.

Well said. Part of me always wants a sexy pick and I need to remind myself that my fundamental belief is that an offense all starts up front, and if that part isn't working the whole offense has very little chance to succeed. I'll never have any problem with the decision to strengthen the o-line.
Is a TE at 7 a sexy pick?